[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Hello. Is Gael supposed to have clouds? Because I have GN installed with GPP and SVE and there aren't any clouds (in the tracking station at least). I also have Sigma Dimensions installed to double the size of everything but I am uninstalling that to see if it makes a difference. I can provide logs if you want. Thanks,

Benji13. 

Alright, first I would like to say that this is amazing and all of the planets look very nice- Second, there is a problem with something that isn't allowing me to backspace to re-focus active vessel. And also, is there any published information on planets (gravity, size, sidereal day, atmospheric properties) and Dv Map?

5 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Cool I'll try that next chance I get and report back. Thanks. In the meantime any idea what could be causing scatterers water to not function? I'm hoping the issue is related to this Kopernicus thing, but something tells me that's not the case.

Edit: Hm. Yea no luck. Still getting NRE's from Kopernicus. Less of them, but there still there. I'm also getting NREs from mods ive since deleted. Kerbal Alarm Clock and Kerbal Konstructs. Ah well. I'm scrapping the entire installation. Going to try again with a fresh one.

Did you delete the cache folder for Kopernicus? Perhaps Kopernicus was still stowing orbital information for those planets in regards to the mods you removed.

Well then. Due to launchpad limitations (hardish career with 50% funds ftw) my Tellumo orbiter mission didn't quite have enough delta-V to safely capture into a decent orbit and then return to Gael. The funny thing is, I had enough fuel to divert onto a near free-return (maintaining my AP at Tellumo and my PE at Gael-s orbit), do a 600m/s course correction to intercept Gael on that orbit AND to circularize into a 400km polar orbit back at Gael for scansat shenanigans. 

In short, Tellumo looks pretty, but is one Gigantic Gravioli-infested brute of a body. Bring LOTS of rocket fuel unless you want to try aerobraking at 6 km/s.

Just now, Benji13 said:

Hello. Is Gael supposed to have clouds? Because I have GN installed with GPP and SVE and there aren't any clouds (in the tracking station at least). I also have Sigma Dimensions installed to double the size of everything but I am uninstalling that to see if it makes a difference. I can provide logs if you want. Thanks,

Benji13. 

Are you using the SVE that comes bundled with GPP? if you are using the stand alone SVE it doesnt work with any other planets besides stock

1 hour ago, Bob Jub said:

And also, is there any published information on planets (gravity, size, sidereal day, atmospheric properties) and Dv Map?

There is a PDF in the mod download that has a heap of information on each planet and moon, and JadeOfMaar has posted a link to his Github Wiki earlier in this thread

Is there any way to make the planets keep their detail from distant view (>100 km for Ceti, 50 km for Iota, etc.) on close approach and landing, or it an engine/performance issue? This planet pack is the first one I have ever seen where the planets actually look better artistically than what KSP seems to want to draw in 3D.

I may be playing KSP on a toaster.

Just now, MaxL_1023 said:

Is there any way to make the planets keep their detail from distant view (>100 km for Ceti, 50 km for Iota, etc.) on close approach and landing, or it an engine/performance issue? This planet pack is the first one I have ever seen where the planets actually look better artistically than what KSP seems to want to draw in 3D.

I may be playing KSP on a toaster.

Stock KSP does the same thing, i just have higher res ground textures.

You can set the values so that the heightmap will render at a lower height but if you set it too low the detail you want so dearly will not be so detailed. stand by for a screenshot of what im talking about

if you set it to not render at all you wont have any features on the surface, just a flat ball 

Edited by Galileo

Is the heightmap at a lower resolution than the ground texture? I thought it would be easier for them to be equivalent (1 pixel equals a triangular section 1 arc-second in phi converging to a point one arc-second in theta poleward of it for example) but if KSP is doing something different than I guess that is all you can do.

46 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Are you using the SVE that comes bundled with GPP? if you are using the stand alone SVE it doesnt work with any other planets besides stock

Ok, so if I merge the SVE in GPP with the normal stock one it will work?

Is the heightmap at a lower resolution than the ground texture? I thought it would be easier for them to be equivalent (1 pixel equals a triangular section 1 arc-second in phi converging to a point one arc-second in theta poleward of it for example) but if KSP is doing something different than I guess that is all you can do.

I just set iota to render the height map at about 15km and it doesnt look bad. I am going to try to do the same for the other bodies and see how it turns out. 

Edit: Once again, you may have just forced me to make some changes lol some of the transitions are flawless

Just now, Benji13 said:

Ok, so if I merge the SVE in GPP with the normal stock one it will work?

No, normal stock one need to be removed completely.. the stock cfgs and the one bundled with GPP will conflict

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

I just set iota to render the height map at about 15km and it doesnt look bad. I am going to try to do the same for the other bodies and see how it turns out. 

Nice. From what I see, it looks like the whole body gets blurred out, like switching from maximum to minimum graphics. Iota and Ceti are also quite small - smaller than the Mun I believe. I wish I knew more about graphics rendering so I could contribute something besides gameplay feedback - I honestly don't know what is a realistic change.

25 minutes ago, Galileo said:

No, normal stock one need to be removed completely.. the stock cfgs and the one bundled with GPP will conflict

Thanks. Keep up the great work! I (and I'm sure many others) consider you to be the best planet/atmosphere modder here. Thanks for the great mods!

Nice. From what I see, it looks like the whole body gets blurred out, like switching from maximum to minimum graphics. Iota and Ceti are also quite small - smaller than the Mun I believe. I wish I knew more about graphics rendering so I could contribute something besides gameplay feedback - I honestly don't know what is a realistic change.

I wish i knew more too lol what you are seeing isnt the planet blurring out, but rather when the heightmap and ground textures kick in.. 

You have contributed exactly what is needed. your feed back has been extremely valuable to making this mod as realistic as possible

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I estimate that you're seeing the scaledspace (or an intermediate) versions up close, due to the large change in render distance. What do you mean by realistic change? Smoother transitions from low detail to high detail?

Iota, Ceti and Mun are respectively 100km,150km and 200km wide, yeah.

In my game, the detail appears to decrease as I get closer, with a massive loss in resolution when I cross the heightmap thresholds. It may be my graphics settings though - I will go through them in more detail tomorrow when I start up KSP. I had them tuned downwards a bit from when I was trying to run RSS/RP-0 on the 32-bit engine. 

By realistic change, I mean an alteration to the planet rendering which would maintain equal angular resolution as the render distance varies. I do not know enough about the KSP engine to determine if this is possible or feasible - Galileo works hard enough to begin with!

The resolution of the Human eye is about 1 arc-minute, so when scaled onto a screen to represent normal vision, a body which takes up almost half the sky (think Gael/Kerbin from the top of the Atmosphere) would need about 10800 pixels in a line. You will never need more than that to match visual resolution due to the change in viewing area as bodies are closely approached. If you scale this resolution down by 5 (to 2160 pixels) you basically are at computer monitor resolution. 

Ideally, there would be an algorithm which would take a heightmap/texture visible at a reference point (think Ceti at 100 KM) then supply the additional resolution by adding fractal-based random terrain noise and texture patterns from a pre-defined library. Things like small craters, color variations and rocks/cliffs would be randomly generated and superimposed on a heightmap. Assuming the size vs frequency of the terrain features falls a logarithmic roll-off with a slope greater than 1 (10 times larger variability is 10 times rarer) truly random terrain variation can be added to an arbitrary scale without diverging from the heightmap. 

I would call it planet detail by frequency domain, but I may just be one booster short of a stack. 

@Galileo

Excuse me for not haven read the entire thread (only the first couple pages), but considering this is my first mod that comes with its own mods (a modpack?) I was wondering what you think about additional mods. Would you recommend some or do you think that no further mods are required?

Here are some I was thinking about:

• Mechjeb and/or Kerbal Engineer
  • ScanSat
  • Contract packs (which one?)
  • a tech-tree modification (suggestions?)
  • a modification that deals with the longer radio distances (better antennas and ground stations)
  • Asteroid day
  • propulsion system for deep space (although you already have a resource system in place for that?)

And now I'm wondering about the compatibility with RemoteTech and its contract pack.

Haven't actually played it yet, but KSC in a valley looks nice - good thing that I hate planes I suppose ^^.

Edited by Nobody6

Just now, Nobody6 said:

@Galileo

Excuse me for not haven read the entire thread (only the first couple pages), but considering this is my first mod that comes with its own mods (a modpack?) I was wondering what you think about additional mods. Would you recommend some or do you think that no further mods are required?

• ScanSat
  • a modification that deals with the longer radio distances (better antennas and ground stations)
  • Asteroid day
  • propulsion system for deep space (although you already have a resource system in place for that?)

And now I'm wondering about the compatibility with RemoteTech and its contract pack.

Haven't actually played it yet, but KSC in a valley looks nice - good thing that I hate planes I suppose ^^.

MechJeb and KER are already compatible, so is ScanSat.

Contract packs SHOULD be ok unless the contract requires a stock planet, then obviously that wont work. 

Tech-tree mods will work just fine

In the coming update, we will include a MM patch that allows for another upgrade of the tracking station so antennas can have further communication capabilities.

We do have a resource system in place and @JadeOfMaar can further expand on this answer.. im a little out of the loop on that to be honest :)

As far as remote tech goes, im not sure if it works. We haven't tested with it yet.

and KSC is on a small island situated next to a inactive volcano, not in a valley :) so planes should be ok, but if you dont like them then its even better 

Edited by Galileo

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

As far as remote tech goes, im not sure if it works. We haven't tested with it yet.

and KSC is on a small island situated next to a inactive volcano, not in a valley :) so planes should be ok, but if you dont like them then its even better 

See, haven't even looked around yet. Just saw the giant screen filling mountain in the background and a bit of water on the side and assumed the mountains were all around (as in a valley or a breached caldera).

I'm expecting problems with RemoteTech, because:

• you removed the sun,
  • renamed Kerbin and
  • you moved the KSC.

What are the coordinates (and altitude) your KSC now? And what is the body-id of Gael (same as Kerbin, aka 1)?

1 hour ago, Nobody6 said:

See, haven't even looked around yet. Just saw the giant screen filling mountain in the background and a bit of water on the side and assumed the mountains were all around (as in a valley or a breached caldera).

I'm expecting problems with RemoteTech, because:

• you removed the sun,
  • renamed Kerbin and
  • you moved the KSC.

What are the coordinates (and altitude) your KSC now? And what is the body-id of Gael (same as Kerbin, aka 1)?

Yes,  yes and yes.  I am not at home at the moment but I'll get you the coordinates when I get there and yes Gaels id will be 1

20 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Cool I'll try that next chance I get and report back. Thanks. In the meantime any idea what could be causing scatterers water to not function? I'm hoping the issue is related to this Kopernicus thing, but something tells me that's not the case.

Edit: Hm. Yea no luck. Still getting NRE's from Kopernicus. Less of them, but there still there. I'm also getting NREs from mods ive since deleted. Kerbal Alarm Clock and Kerbal Konstructs. Ah well. I'm scrapping the entire installation. Going to try again with a fresh one.

I mean to answer your question about scatterer water yesterday but forgot with Thanksgiving festivities happening all day.  I disabled the water for performance reasons.  You can enable it in the scatterer window on main menu, just be sure to restart the completely before you load your save. 

6 hours ago, Nobody6 said:

@Galileo

• ScanSat
  • Asteroid day

You are excused. :D I'm handling the list for recommended and supported mods. We don't need to recommend MJ and KER. They are as much common knowledge as they are vital tools. SCANsat is definite. Its logo is even in the dossiers, (thank you @DMagic)  a collection of KSPedia-like images currently only found on my Github. I've never deeply looked into Asteroid Day so I can't recommend it, but the asteroid belt is much wider here. It may make Asteroid Day more useful?

As for deep space propulsion I'm going to recommend Cryogenic Engines and Near Future Propulsion, both made by @Nertea. CryoEngines run on LH2 which you can produce from karbonite, and NFP gives you an alternative to Xenon (Argon which is far more abundant and affordable by comparison) and enables Ore ->Lithium in the stock ISRU. I think Lithium is a solid fuel but it is far more efficient than LFO, however you're going to need Near Future Electric or Solar, or the USI reactor pack (appears with any USI mod) to power Argon or Lithium engines to burn those fuels.

The resource system is a delicate affair here, yes. It is tuned such that worlds you wouldn't expect IRL to have certain materials indeed may not have them, as an added challenge and as a platform for innovations you won't find in any other mod planet or planet pack. The #1 mod I recommend is Karbonite which enables you to do things that you can't with Ore. It's accessible whether landed, splashed, flying, or in space. By consequence it fits right beside Cryo Engines and TAC LS.

1 hour ago, Nobody6 said:

KSC's coordinates are 8.510' N, 168.250 W. Altitude...

Spoiler

27m?

81Uiqpu.jpg 

@Galileo This is magnificent! I truly hope it gets the popularity it deserves considering the amount of love and work you put in to make this look absolutely fantastic! I am putting together a new install using it and will be streaming it once I get the full mod set I want in, hopefully that will garner this work of art of yours some more attention ;-)

Hi guys, i've made a small solution for those who use remote tech along with this mod,

Just open a file called "RemoteTech_Settings.cfg", search for "STATION" and replace your Latitude and Longitude with these values:

Latitude = 8.510
            Longitude = -168.250

After that the Mission control marker should be located is a proper place.