[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

44 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

We're glad you're happy with your science progression. Low biome counts on the moons and a nearer planet than Duna were intentional for that purpose: to answer the problem of finishing the tech tree before anything leaves Kerbin SOI. As for planet colors, the minor monotone and difficulty to distinguish biomes by eyesight is due to realism whereas the stock planets are very vivid to fit into the cartoon nature of the kerbals themselves.

:)  I get the realism angle...that said, some color variation would be nice...perhaps it could be justified by the makeup of the crust/regolith in different areas? Who knows what color changes a high ore concentration would make?

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Thanks to @Galileo new development there and my having to turn up my texture settings to see these animations in my own game, I have to screenshot all the planets again for the dossiers. I've tasted something good and can't go back. @SkyKaptn :huh:

Well, almost. When I start deploying high part count things again I'll be just as much forced to. :(

yeah, im sorry you had to read some of that :)

32 minutes ago, Tyko said:

:)  I get the realism angle...that said, some color variation would be nice...perhaps it could be justified by the makeup of the crust/regolith in different areas? Who knows what color changes a high ore concentration would make?

Sadly, my only suggestion is you turn up a contrast setting in Scatterer or wherever that is to lighten up your game. (Help, @Galileo) I like the idea of using vivid colors to help things and possibly give away details with them, but four different minds have poured into these planets and they're already settled on the worlds' looks and feels, and resources are a major part of this mod's twists to gameplay.

There happens to be one planet that fits your bill by the way. Icarus, our answer to Moho. Its many biomes, except the poles, are mapped to distinct and awesome patterns on its surface. :)

wNKInca.jpg

1 minute ago, PlutoPlanet126 said:

Looks like im experincing those good old fashion downloading issues

AGAIN

Try a different browser.  

This will probably not have an alternate download site as the download is too large and it's easier to make changes on Github.

That being said I have never had an issue with being able to download from Github..  It sounds like a browser/cookie issue

37 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

I like the look of the planets, it's just difficult to land any plane or spaceplane on GAEL anywhere except the KSC.

Wierd you say that..  I have been watching a few streamers land all over Gael recently.  One even did a night landing near rocks and trees! 

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Sadly, my only suggestion is you turn up a contrast setting in Scatterer or wherever that is to lighten up your game. (Help, @Galileo) I like the idea of using vivid colors to help things and possibly give away details with them, but four different minds have poured into these planets and they're already settled on the worlds' looks and feels, and resources are a major part of this mod's twists to gameplay.

There happens to be one planet that fits your bill by the way. Icarus, our answer to Moho. Its many biomes, except the poles, are mapped to distinct and awesome patterns on its surface. :)

wNKInca.jpg

Yep, understood...Actually I saw Icarus and was a little crestfallen to realize that one of the most visually interesting bodies was one that I was likely to spend almost the least amount of time looking at  :/

What are you referring to concerning resources and twist to game play? Just distribution of Ore or do I have to install Karbonite to see more stuff?

Anyway..appreciate you taking the time to reply...still loving all the work that went into it.

Edited by Tyko

48 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Wierd you say that..  I have been watching a few streamers land all over Gael recently.  One even did a night landing near rocks and trees! 

Not a complain, just with the stock issue with landing gears and FAR is difficult to land in one piece. I lost Jeb thank to a tree and  Val on a slope.

The planets are great and I'm happy that many enjoy your pack (and me too).

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

I couldn't possibly go back and redo the textures again.  When I make changes,  it doesn't just effect the way the body looks.  We would have to recalculate albedos and possibly change the biome maps..  Etc etc.  I know it sounds simple,  but it really adds more work than it's worth. In our collective opinion (devs)  we have finally come to a place where the textures don't need to be touched again.. I think not being able to easily see where biomes are is half of the fun.  It forces you to explore and science the sh** out of things! 

@Tyko I can imagine regarding Icarus. But someone will find some amazing things to do with it, and hopefully, stream it too.

Not just Ore, all of the resources are affected. Some will be extra abundant in some places. Some will be extra scarce in places. Karbonite is optional but if installed, there's indeed more stuff to see and do.

@Nansuchao Gael indeed has a lot more rough terrain than Kerbin does, I think, but it shouldn't be hard to adapt to it. More wheel height and extra chutes or an innovative braking system should be easy to make into a habit, especially since the ground isn't the only thing to think about when landing. Also, there's a huge error with Gael's biome map (if you use biome maps) which is fixed for the next update. You'll be proper able to anticipate relatively smooth terrain far ahead for landings.

2 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Not a complain, just with the stock issue with landing gears and FAR is difficult to land in one piece. I lost Jeb thank to a tree and  Val on a slope.

The planets are great and I'm happy that many enjoy your pack (and me too).

Yeah trees will get ya every time!  

1 minute ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@Galileo when you release the next update, would it be possible to include an 'additional mods only' download link (because I just had to redownload a 918 MB file because I didn't want to use Scatterer anymore)?

I don't think if I understand.  All you had to do is delete scatterer from the game data folder..  Even if I include an additional mods download..  You would still be downloading 918mb of stuff..  just split up

12 minutes ago, Galileo said:

In our collective opinion (devs)  we have finally come to a place where the textures don't need to be touched again...

Although the pull request I made to fix Iota's heightmap still hasn't been merged by yourself. :P I know I could do it myself outright but I want your blessing. :D 

1 minute ago, Poodmund said:

Although the pull request I made to fix Iota's heightmap still hasn't been merged by yourself. :P I know I could do it myself outright but I want your blessing. :D 

I haven't been on github at all today..  What was wrong with Iota?  

Eh doesn't matter I trust your judgment.  You have my blessing

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I haven't been on github at all today..  What was wrong with Iota?  

Eh doesn't matter I trust your judgment.  You have my blessing

The heightmap had a noticeable seam at the adjoining edges of the texture. When you offset the image by 50% horizontally you get a big weird seam stripe down the middle! :D

SlFRiLD.png

I fixed the issue with a little brushing, cloning, blending, merging, burning, dodging and healing (haha)... and issued a pull request with the new texture. I'll merge it into the Master branch. It will screw up any existing craft that may happen to be landing on that, like, 20 pixel wide strip but hey ho!

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I don't think if I understand.  All you had to do is delete scatterer from the game data folder..  Even if I include an additional mods download..  You would still be downloading 918mb of stuff..  just split up

In @JadeOfMaar's installation instructions they say "If you don't use Scatterer, merge the GameData folder inside Alternate Ciro cfg folder". What I was asking you for was a way to download just Galileos.Planet.Pack/Optional Mods instead of having to get the entire thing (so that if I wanted to change which of the optional mods I use with GPP it would be a much smaller download). Hope that clears it up. Thanks for a great planet mod.

17 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@Galileo when you release the next update, would it be possible to include an 'additional mods only' download link? (because I just had to redownload a 918 MB file because I didn't want to use Scatterer anymore)

There's an Alternate Ciro cfg folder within the Optional Mods directory for a proper stock sun/sunflare. A split download will likely not happen as many players who install GPP will likely want EVE, which is the heaviest of the addons.

It could happen later, possibly, but right now Galileo is still doing quite a lot and maintaining a separate download is a needless burden.

Edited by JadeOfMaar