[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

most contract packs wont work with GPP. The contract pack makers will need to provide compatibility.

Tested 2 so far.

"Bases and Stations" works fine i think and provides realy nice touch to GPP in combination with Rrsearch Bodies and ScanSat.

"Tourism" works good too but sometimes the Tourists that spawn in Field get some crazy Spaghettification effects. S.Manley has the same problem on his Conquest:D. Don't know where it comes from.

Urses

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Grannus is supposed to be a type M2 main sequence star.  The numbers for its properties came from this page:  http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~emamajek/EEM_dwarf_UBVIJHK_colors_Teff.txt.

Hmm - Grannus must be a pretty decent fraction of Ciro's mass then. Is it going to become a binary, or am I just missing a mod?

1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Hmm - Grannus must be a pretty decent fraction of Ciro's mass then. Is it going to become a binary, or am I just missing a mod?

Grannus has 1/2 of Ciro's mass.  In real life they would form a binary system.  However, in the game Grannus orbits around Ciro's center.  There's a mod, Sigma Binary, that enables bodies to orbit as binaries around a barycenter, but we did not configure Grannus and Ciro as such.  There's a couple reasons for this.  First, I experimented with making Ciro and Grannus a binary system but couldn't get it to work.  I may have just messed up the configs, but I have another theory on why it didn't work.  Somewhere in the game is a celestial body that is central to everything else in the game (in GPP that body is Ciro).  I think that maybe that central body must occupy a fixed position and cannot be turned into a binary.  (Perhaps @Sigma88 can verify if that is true or not.)  The other reason is that Grannus' orbital period is so long, over 1700 years, that we really can see it move, even at the highest time warp.  One of the fun parts of making bodies into binaries is to be able to watch them do their little orbital dance.  If their periods are so long that we can't even see them move, then what's the point.  I'm also not sure if making Ciro a binary would mess up the transfer window planner.  I did not get far enough to investigate that, but it's certainly a concern.

If Grannus is that massive, would Leto and Hox have stable orbits? Usually for comparable-mass binary systems the ratio of semi-major axes needs to be greater than 3 to 1 on either side, AFAIK. Also, wouldn't all the Gas Giants and Leto/Hox be in resonances with Grannus? 

Can anyone provide hints on establishing a Tellumo base, or more importantly how to get back to orbit? I don't want a full 'here's the design', just some hints. With a thick atmosphere nicely packed under 45km, it was a harrowing descent just for a probe.

So inflatable heat shield and parachutes to get down, but to get back up? A rocket capable of reaching 4km/s?! In that atmosphere?!

5 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

So inflatable heat shield and parachutes to get down, but to get back up? A rocket capable of reaching 4km/s?! In that atmosphere?!

Haven't done it myself yet but I think you want to replace "rocket" with "plane".

4 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

You can skip most of the atmosphere by landing on higher terrain - the scale height is low. I would also recommend planes over rockets, as jet engines work in Tellumo's atmosphere. 

Yep. Huge difference between sea level and a few km up. There's oxygen in the atmosphere, so jets are a good idea. There's also a bunch of Karbonite in the atmosphere if you have that mod installed, so you can actually harvest more fuel as you're flying along than your Karbonite jet engines are burning.

4 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

Can anyone provide hints on establishing a Tellumo base, or more importantly how to get back to orbit? I don't want a full 'here's the design', just some hints. With a thick atmosphere nicely packed under 45km, it was a harrowing descent just for a probe.

Someone who posted a few pages back their easy landing and takeoff from Tellumo and later Catullus did just that. They had a modified Eve lander that carried Rapiers and used Tellumo's oxygen on part of the way back up.

For establishing a base there you may want to involve utility rovers with big wheels and strong jet engines in order to move any significant weight in that gravity. Or as @Norcalplanner suggested, take advantage of the ambient Karbonite and use its jets or rocket engines for mobility. You might also want to depend on Extraplanetary Launchpads rather than Ground Construction if it'll be too much of a pain for you to haul a big, heavy DIY kit from wherever it landed to the construction site in that environment.

There is finally an official update coming to the Karbonite mod, arranged by myself. The engines buffs are all around much better or more complete than GPP's patch which will become obsolete when RoverDude publishes the update.

3 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I am still trying to find a solution for 10x though - orbital velocity is 17 km/s!

Well this is a case where scramjets are absolutely necessary. Mk2 Expansion has one and has compatibility with a real scale mod or two... But you just might need to further configure it to be more useful on Tellumo. That mod's engines are overly heavy. Or since you build so big you can get away with the super-heavy engines from the old mod Mk3 Hypersonic Systems, but those might need even more tuning. I've never thought of how far/fast they can take someone on an oxygenated planet bigger than stock-scale Kerbin.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I am still trying to find a solution for 10x though - orbital velocity is 17 km/s!

I'm running 6.4x myself and it was painful until I installed SMURFF. Have you tried that?

On 11/16/2016 at 11:55 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Download and install Scatterer from Spacedock.

• Scatterer (Whole) - Enable better and custom sunflares and various atmosphere and ocean effects to add to realism, the theme of a playthrough and the beauty of screenshots. Ocean effects are off by default for low-end PCs. Current Scatterer v0.0300 is now supported

Quick question, is scatterer included or should I download it separate? Conflicting info on page 1.

Thanks in advance! 

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Jangles said:

Quick question, is scatterer included or should I download it separate? Conflicting info on page 1.

Thanks in advance! 

Thanks for catching that. Scatterer is not included and must be downloaded separately. :) 

11 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Somewhere in the game is a celestial body that is central to everything else in the game (in GPP that body is Ciro).  I think that maybe that central body must occupy a fixed position and cannot be turned into a binary.

It's CelestialBody.homeworld iirc and in this case, Gael... believe it or not.

15 hours ago, Galileo said:

yes you can just be sure to drop the CareerSaver cfg into your gamedata. That will allow you to continue your career from an older version

Thanks.  So far everything seems to be working.

Edited by Steven Mading
silly duplicate post from the forum software.

17 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

If Grannus is that massive, would Leto and Hox have stable orbits? Usually for comparable-mass binary systems the ratio of semi-major axes needs to be greater than 3 to 1 on either side, AFAIK. Also, wouldn't all the Gas Giants and Leto/Hox be in resonances with Grannus? 

Those are probably valid points, but we've chose to use creative license and ignore those things for the purposes of game play.  Realism has its limits, the game must first be playable and fun.

Grannus' orbit has gone through several modifications.  It was originally a passing star on a hyperbolic trajectory, but that caused some problems (like the transfer window planner didn't work).  I then moved Grannus into a larger orbit, but the travel time to reach it was prohibitive.  I finally moved it in as close to Ciro as I dare, while ignoring any real-life issues that might create.  I computed the location of Grannus' equigravisphere and made sure that its boundary was beyond the orbit of Leto, but that's really the only check that I made.**  That was justification enough for me to place Grannus in its current orbit.  I didn't care about resonances because Ciro's system of planets was already complete at that point and I wasn't going to change it.  My only real objective was to make the travel time to Grannus as short as possible, while assuring its SOI didn't encroach on Ciro's outer planets.

** With Grannus at periapsis, the location of the equigravisphere on the line connecting Grannus to Ciro lies about 500 Gm from Grannus, and 700 Gm from Ciro.  So 500 Gm became the radius of Grannus' sphere of influence.  Also note that the longitudes of periapsis for Grannus and Leto are similar, so that creates greater separation between them.  I haven't computed the exact number, but I doubt Leto gets any closer than about 200 Gm to Grannus' SOI.

Edited by OhioBob

That's fair - I have no objection to creative license. I am just worried that when and if KSP ever moves to a gravitational model which is not based on patched conics (think the Principia mod) the GPP system will be unstable and fail to load. 

Also, is Grannus supposed to be a deep red? It seems a lot darker than a color temperature of 3400K (M2) would suggest. Maybe my configs were not properly changed when I updated GPP - I am not sure. 

8 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Also, is Grannus supposed to be a deep red? It seems a lot darker than a color temperature of 3400K (M2) would suggest. Maybe my configs were not properly changed when I updated GPP - I am not sure. 

That is also creative license :) 

2 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I am just worried that when and if KSP ever moves to a gravitational model which is not based on patched conics (think the Principia mod) the GPP system will be unstable and fail to load.

I had no idea anyone was considering a different gravitational model.  Should that come to fruition, we'll have to deal with the consequences at that time.  Worse case, we delete Grannus.

16 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I had no idea anyone was considering a different gravitational model.  Should that come to fruition, we'll have to deal with the consequences at that time.  Worse case, we delete Grannus.

It won't change again, I'm almost certain

13 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It won't change again, I'm almost certain

I'd be shocked if Squad changed anything in stock KSP, but I suppose somebody could write a mod that changes it.  Though I think it would be a niche audience that would be interested in such a thing.  Personally, I have no problem with patched conics.  It's a reasonable simplification.

@Starfire70

I wrote a mission report on a landing at Tellumo with three Kerbals, if you can not go further you can read and get some ideas ... You do not want a finished design, so I describe to you my experiences as I came back into the orbit.
JadeOfMaar already said that there is oxygen on Tellumo, so Rapier is a good choice to win the first kilometers of altitude. At my start, I noticed that it is not so important to build speed until the rapiers can no longer breathe. It was also  important to reach an AP over 25km, so the drag will be reduced and you have time to build speed in the upper atmosphere. That's why I have increased the angle of ascent from 10 km. Then continue with rockets and always keep your nose up until the AP is over 45km.
Whenever I had only built up speed, it was not enough and the tremendous gravity pulled me down again. From a height of 20-25km you need also no wings and no landing gear. Anything superfluous can be thrown away. Also burnt out stages. Only so you can provide enough dV to get into the orbit. The final stage should only have crew cabins, a middle tank and a terrier engine. Since you can get 2000 dV alone from this.

Greetings

And here is my draft for the Tarsiss 6 Expedition.

(I have to land the same vehicle on Catullus, Tellumo, Tarsiss, Jannah, Icarus and Gratian.)

f6qJFVs.jpg

This is by far the strangest vehicle I've ever built. It is half lander half spaceplane. ISRU is on board and the SPaceplane for Tellumo, Catullus, Gratian and Tarsiss I always have to assemble in orbit before landing. For that I took a claw with RCS. In the middle you can see with difficulty the Spaceplane, the front part with the Airbrakes must still be mounted.
The flight plan I thought so:
First Icarus with stopover at Eta to refuel.
Then return to Eta and continue to Tellumo. Refueling at Lilli.
Then Gratian and refuel at Geminus.
Then Jannah, refuel and go to Tarsiss.
At the end then Catullus.

If it does not work out, I can still blame @JadeOfMaar. He persuaded me.:cool:

Edited by astroheiko