[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I read it somewhere - more conjecture than anything. Basically, its the fastest way to get something out to 550 AU or beyond.

@MaxL_1023 and @CatastrophicFailure. Most of the articles I could find about Jupiter -> low solar slingshot missions were in various science journals behind paywalls - however there were a couple of mentions in JPL studies including: https://interstellar.jpl.nasa.gov/interstellar/probe/requirements/concept.html and http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/doc/MAD/ACT-PRE-MAD-InnSys-McNutt.pdf (only brief mention).

There's also a nice article about the science goals of the FOCAL mission to 550 AU on Centauri Dreams (http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=785) but not about how to get there efficiently.

@MaxL_1023 @CatastrophicFailure @Aelfhe1m @Gilph @astroheiko

Man I wish I had more time this week to seriously dig into this...my brain is about to explode with hypotheticals...

Something I came across and have not had a chance to work through the math on yet but it has direct bearing on this conversation.  There's n upper limit on how much dV can be obtained from an assist but I've never worked through it before.  (never occurred to me to even try maximizing this in KSP until now...)

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/128356/gravitational-slingshot-maximum

Now, this is is of course RL so it's never going to translate directly but I think it's going to have enough of an effect on this kind of assisted transfer to make a difference on the Race to Grannus...also...what are the parameters here?  Fastest transfer vs. insertion vs. return flight will have differing best case scenarios and we all seem to be discussing different kinds so far...

And do I smell a challenge in the making here? :D

2 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

@MaxL_1023 @CatastrophicFailure @Aelfhe1m @Gilph @astroheiko

Man I wish I had more time this week to seriously dig into this...my brain is about to explode with hypotheticals...

Something I came across and have not had a chance to work through the math on yet but it has direct bearing on this conversation.  There's n upper limit on how much dV can be obtained from an assist but I've never worked through it before.  (never occurred to me to even try maximizing this in KSP until now...)

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/128356/gravitational-slingshot-maximum

Now, this is is of course RL so it's never going to translate directly but I think it's going to have enough of an effect on this kind of assisted transfer to make a difference on the Race to Grannus...also...what are the parameters here?  Fastest transfer vs. insertion vs. return flight will have differing best case scenarios and we all seem to be discussing different kinds so far...

And do I smell a challenge in the making here? :D

I've  only skimmed the article (interesting read) but it's about "pure" gravitational slingshots. You can get a much bigger boost by taking advantage of the Oberth effect during your sun-dive and doing a powered slingshot - burning fuel while whizzing past close to the Sun (or Ciro) gives you a lot more dV than burning it out at Earth's (Gael's) orbit.

My race to Grannus solution would just be to torch-ship it using ion engines. I have a probe landed on Jannah (Nero's second moon) with over 40 km/s left in the Xenon tanks.

My recommended methodology for low-delta-v fast transfers would be Gael/Otho/Ciro/Grannus/Otho/Gael, with powered slingshots at Ciro and Grannus. I am not sure how often windows for this would happen. 

Use Otho to get a close Ciro encounter, burn at PE to get a hyperbolic Grannus intercept, then burn at Grannus PE to end up falling back towards Ciro, using Otho to lower your AP and if possible get a Gael encounter from there. Still though, it might be easier to just do a powered Otho slingshot - Grannus is not that far out and is large enough to give you significant leeway with return maneuvers. 

A final solution would be to just use Iota, setting an encounter with the PE about 3 meters above the center of the moon, then using time-warp to glitch out the collision physics and getting a slingshot equivalent to passing a small black hole. I managed to use Lili to escape Tellumo this way (by accident though). 

14 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

A final solution would be to just use Iota, setting an encounter with the PE about 3 meters above the center of the moon, then using time-warp to glitch out the collision physics and getting a slingshot equivalent to passing a small black hole. I managed to use Lili to escape Tellumo this way (by accident though). 

On 4/30/2017 at 10:17 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

A challenge? German engineer? Who are you talking about? Besides ... Ummm ... I have to do something urgently ... in Siberia ... we'll see us next year...

@rasta013

Actually, I did not make any calculations at all. I have not even waited for a start window. The only preparation was to see how much dV I would need for the ejection burn. I wanted to do this with the LVN.

After that everything has turned out so. If you have enough dV available, then you can try everything during the flight. Any gasgigant will already allow a slingshot. In my case, Gauss was half of an Orbit too far away. Since I have simply again 1000m / s invested and it has matched. The extremely long flight times allow great flexibility in the adaptation of the flight route. That I can also catch Tellumo is however pure coincidence.

As already said - no calculations - simply playing with the maneuver nodes. Your link is nevertheless interesting to read.

To be safe. I'm not an engineer. 

@ all

The Nero Mission has started home again today. The entire mission time will probably be longer than the Grannus mission - it's kind of funny. Here again the link.

Nero Mission is on the way to Gael

One picture? OK

byF09qw.jpg

The picture was taken during the last landing. The mother shiphad to refuel.

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

23 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Inside GPP_Clouds is another GameData folder with the options for high or low res then the appropriate next GPP_Clouds folder. I'll have to make that clear too in the instructions. :blush: 

@ JadeofMaar, the problem ended up being the version of EVE.  I thought I was using the latest version, I copy/pasted the link in the readme file, version 1.1-2.  Once I realized there was a newer version (1.1-3) on github I used that and it worked.  Both on my fresh install and the modded one.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I am building an interplanetary transporter. Problem is - it's too big to fit in a 10m fairing. 

First Kerbin Problems. 

Don't you mean "First Gael problems"? :D

I had the same problem with my Tellumo Explorer. I solved it with Tweakscale.

Edit: I misread your post. I didn't have the same problem, my problem was the 10m heatshield was too small. The same solution might still apply.

Edited by Luovahulluus

I just downloaded the Flyby Finder version that has GPP support.  Tried a few Gael-Otho-Grannus flybys with no luck yet.  Have to play with the time windows a lot more to get something good.

Also just installed a Near Future, SpaceY, and USI propulsion mods. I now have an interesting collection of plasma, ion, and nuke engines with their associated fuels.  I guess it will take a while to make sense of it all :P

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The giant Tellumo rover! :o It launched!

I launched the Tellumo rover earlier. It's inside a huge fairing, behind a 15m wide heatshield. I will report back when that one reaches it's destination.

The rover in the picture is an extended version of the Tellumo rover, heading to the Otho system. The Otho explorer is 6 meters longer and capable of ISRU It has a nuclear reactor and one extra deep freeze module for a tourist. It's also capable (I hope) of landing and taking off from all the moons in the Otho system, and should (mostly) survive re-entry to Gael's atmosphere. In my tests, the wheels didn't survive the heat, but I can still land on water.

8 minutes ago, fwdixon said:

Any ideas why I get a "no breathable atmosphere" message when I try to toggle the eva suit on Gael?

Did you install the texture changes folder in the optional mods folder?

Edited by Galileo

19 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Did you install the texture changes folder in the optional mods folder?

Couldn't remember, so I did it again, everything works as it should. Thanks for the quick reply. Love your mod. One day, I'll get beyond Gael's SOI.

In co-operation with Maxtech Aerospace,  the first manned mission to Niven is beginning with the launch of the Niven Lithobraker (NiL) - a 3-Kerbal lander capable of supporting a crew on the surface of Niven for 1 month. At only 1470 tons, this is the smallest rocket Maxtech has designed since its acquisition of SpaceY during year 3. 

Niven%201_zpsfj6qzcbd.jpg

Sadly, a control software error had the thrust values assuming Kerperial units instead of Gaelic, resulting in a thrust setting of roughly half the required value. The result was a rapid unplanned disassembly...of the launch infrastructure. The extreme exhaust pressures insulated the rocket body from direct impact with the pad, with the quick corrective actions of Kerbal Remote Assistant Pilot (KRAP) Jebediah Kerman resulting in a successful liftoff.  

Niven%202_zpssokvf1m7.png

Stage Separation and orbital insertion was successful through the use of what chief astro-engineer Bill Kerman referred to as "a Centaur on Steroids."  The uncrewed NiL is now waiting for the arrival of the Niven InterPlanetary Propulsion Electric Rocket (NIPPER).

Niven%203_zpsfi93utgf.jpg

After the prototyping of the Modular Oversized Atmospheric Fairing (MOAF) is completed (I am editing the .cfg files to make the SpaceY 10m fairing have a max radius of 15m) the NIPPER will be launched to rendezvous with the NiL in advance of the upcoming transfer window. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

Thanks so much for this mod; it's an absolute blast so far. I've been playing at 10x scale and loving it. One bug: at first I didn't realize I was playing without planetary rings, but finally got to Tellumo with a probe and remembered it should have them. I installed the updated .dll for Kopernicus to add rings and it works great, but that patch seems to have supercharged my solar panels. I'm getting 600+ charge per second from a Gigantor instead of 21 when I'm orbiting Gael. Changing back to the old .dll fixes the problem but removes the rings as well.

Sadly there's a severe performance hit with GPP on my system.

System specs:
Video: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630] (rev a1)
CPU: model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 280 Processor
Video RAM: 1 gig
System RAM: 12 gigs DDR3
Video drivers: nvidia-375/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 375.39-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 amd64

KSP 1.2.2 64-bit, with just created clean sandbox save.

With every mod from a GPP install except GPP directory itself i'm getting my game timer green at almost all times, with small spikes of yellow that I can't really feel.
With GPP, Kopernicus, MFI and MM only there's a lot of yellow with some spikes of green, about 1.5 to 2 seconds of real time for each game second.
With GPP, EVE, low-res clouds and all other mods installed — all yellow, about 3 to 4 real seconds for each game second, even in space somewhere between Gael and Iota.
With GPP, but no EVE, all other mods installed — all yellow, again about 1.5 real seconds for each game second, even in space somewhere between Gael and Iota.

So: GPP seems to to have some strong performance issues. GPP's clouds configs have even more performance issues, even with low resolution clouds.

I know that my system is not the best gaming machine, but is there a chance that something can be done to improve this situation?