[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

17 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Hope this helps - I had the same problem the other day.  My case might be instructive though.  I installed GPP 1.2.2 from here - followed the directions to the letter, everything great.  No black skies.

Then I saw this post with the .zip of hotfixes for various small issues (none of which I have run into in my early, slow career).  I replaced the original files with the ones in the zip, and got the black skies.  Replaced those files with the originals from 1.2.2, black skies went away.  So perhaps the problem lies in one of those 3-4 files.

Same thing happened to me after installing the hotfixes. I should've been good and tried to narrow it down, but I wanted to get to playing.

27 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Hope this helps - I had the same problem the other day.  My case might be instructive though.  I installed GPP 1.2.2 from here - followed the directions to the letter, everything great.  No black skies.

Then I saw this post with the .zip of hotfixes for various small issues (none of which I have run into in my early, slow career).  I replaced the original files with the ones in the zip, and got the black skies.  Replaced those files with the originals from 1.2.2, black skies went away.  So perhaps the problem lies in one of those 3-4 files.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I did not know there was a hotfix file posted. After looking at it, I noticed Grannus has incorrect directories in its config.  @JadeOfMaar it looks like you didnt change the texture directories inside of the config to match the latest official release. Instead the directories look at the dev version directories.

39 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Hey fourfa, I had a very similar, if not exactly the same issue as you after playing with GPP for quite some time and subsequently 'upgrading' various parts of it. In my case it was related to conflicting .cfg files (due to changes in where GPP stores assets), and also because I had downloaded various different versions of scatterer. I could never get GPP to work correctly with scatterer '0.3' and am not entirely sure if it is even fully supported yet within GPP?

I have also since run into problems after changing my scatterer config, and then updating to 0.3 on my stock install. I had to completely remove and replace scatterer in order to get things working again.

I will say that all of these issues may well be due to my clumsy bumbling around in various other config files, but nonetheless it might be of some value.

Edited by Rinner

@Snark If you used the Known Issues fix posted earlier it had some discrepancies. I have fixed them and uploaded it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqm8qgmk4nba1ln/GPP_KnownIssues01.zip?dl=0

Try that and see if the issues with scatterer go away.

@JadeOfMaar if this works, please replace the link in your comment

Edited by Galileo

"When Hotfixes Are Just a Little Too Hot" :wink:

33 minutes ago, Galileo said:

If you used the Known Issues fix posted earlier it had some discrepancies. I have fixed them and uploaded it here.

Awesome!  My only regret is that I can "like" your post but once.

I did in fact use the "known issues" fix.  I'll give this a whirl as soon as soon as I'm on my KSP computer.  Thanks for the quick response!

3 minutes ago, Snark said:

Ta dah!  Worked like a charm.  :D

Thanks again for turning this around so quickly.

Glad it worked out! I couldn't test it :D  I'll unfortunately be away from ksp for another 3 weeks or so. I had to throw that together blindly :)

The second mothership arrived today at Hox. I wanted to shorten the flight time of 25 years and made it in only 10 years. However, I have to
pay with huge fuel costs. The braking maneuver on the periapsis should need 3340 m/s dV. Then I have only 1000 m/s dV to get an orbit around
Argo and to land. It all worked out and I could refuel on Argo. Saved 15 Years.:cool:

Here is a pic from Argoorbit:

TFDVa8L.jpg

And the link to the full post:

Hox Arrival

Greetings

12 hours ago, Galileo said:

Glad it worked out! I couldn't test it :D  I'll unfortunately be away from ksp for another 3 weeks or so. I had to throw that together blindly :)

Does the latest version of GPP contain all the fixes or do we need to use the fixes listed above after downloading GPP?

8 minutes ago, Tuko said:

Does the latest version of GPP contain all the fixes or do we need to use the fixes listed above after downloading GPP?

The fixes are not in the main download, and won't be necessary at the next main release.

1 hour ago, astroheiko said:

It all worked out and I could refuel on Argo

Bring back some water while you're there. Some folks back home are eager to examine it and see if it's good for drinking and making snacks. :cool:

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The fixes are not in the main download, and won't be necessary at the next main release.

Bring back some water while you're there. Some folks back home are eager to examine it and see if it's good for drinking and making snacks. :cool:

Thanks Jade for clarifying :D

By the way, @JadeOfMaar, one suggestion for a small addition to the instructions here:

On 11/16/2016 at 11:55 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Before you launch, though, if you are deep into a GPP v1.1 career then install GPP_CareerSaver anywhere within GameData\ as the addition of a celestial body will also break your saves.

...The issue is this:  I just now updated from GPP 1.0.2 to 1.2.2.  I followed the instructions (including the above, since I was planning to continue my 1.0.2 career).  However, one thing that I hadn't realized (no doubt due to my being lazy about doing my homework beforehand) is that the terrain changed, a lot.  This has the result of making my 1.0.2 career untenable in 1.2.2, since it happens to be heavily oriented around surface bases, which are now located up in the air or underground, and explode into smithereens as soon as I switch to them.

In my case, I don't mind, because 1. I'm not super emotionally invested in the 1.0.2 career and am fine with starting a fresh one, and 2. the new GPP version is so much cooler (including nicer terrain!) that as far as I'm concerned, it's worth starting a new career for, if that's what it takes.  :)

However, I imagine it might catch other users by surprise who might care about it more than I do.  Not sure at which point (i.e. which version) between 1.0.2 and 1.2.2 the terrain change happened.  However, perhaps worth adding a small comment to the above bit of instructions?  e.g.,

"NOTE:  Planetary terrain changes between GPP version X and version Y means that your surface bases from version X may not survive."

...or whatever wording seems appropriate to you.

Just a thought.  :)

@Snark Thanks for that discovery. I'm happy the updates haven't turned you off much. Concerning this, though, it's possible that this may happen again so watch out in the coming update. The terrain is getting, dare I say, even better! :D 

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

@Snark Thanks for that discovery. I'm happy the updates haven't turned you off much. Concerning this, though, it's possible that this may happen again so watch out in the coming update. The terrain is getting, dare I say, even better! :D

Thanks for the heads up!  I'll bear it in mind.  :)

I don't think it'll affect this new career as much, though.  The last career used Extraplanetary Launchpads, and a "house rule" of "no launches from Gael at all except for SSTOs with life support supplies", so it was necessarily oriented around surface bases for mining and then constructing new ships.  The new career's a different set of mods, without EPL, so I don't have much reason to build surface bases.

(I'm not usually a surface-base kinda guy, except when I'm playing EPL.)

1 minute ago, Snark said:

The new career's a different set of mods, without EPL, so I don't have much reason to build surface bases.

You've stirred my interest. What kind of playthrough is this now? What particular mods, if I may bother you to write them out?

I'd like to be able to say what kind of player I am. I'm always opening KSP as a modder and tinkerer, hardly as a player. :P 

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

You've stirred my interest. What kind of playthrough is this now? What particular mods, if I may bother you to write them out?

Well, there's Grannus now.  And I'd really like to go there, since it's a new kind of challenge, and it's a new place to go.

On the other hand... there's practically no point in going there.  No planets to visit.  Nothing I can land on or explore.  Suppose I do go-- what am I gonna do?  After spending goodness knows how many dozens of hours on a career to get all the way there... it's gonna be hella anticlimactic.  I'll take a few science measurements (clickety-click, takes thirty seconds).  Look at the pretty screenshots and go ooh aah for another thirty seconds.  Then turn around and go home.

So, I find myself in a quandary between wanting to go there, and having no reason to do so.  So I set out to figure a set of mods and "story arc" to make that work.

So what I've settled on is to do a Karbonite (with Karborundum-fueled sci-fi drives) career.  Haven't played Karbonite in a long time (I did a Karborundum career once, and it was fun to try out, but I discovered that I like non-sci-fi stuff better, for the most part).

So, the story arc of my new career is:

1. TAC life support.
  2. Karbonite.
  3. Story arc: send a crewed mission to Grannus and return.  Returning from Grannus = career is done.
  4. "Scoring" (i.e. how I challenge myself):  accomplish the above in the shortest possible amount of calendar time.

So what I expect the career to look like is, focus on getting the technology to be able to use Karborundum as soon as I can.  Then mine enough Karborundum for the trip.  Then build my sci-fi Karborundum-powered torch ship for the round trip to Grannus.

(That kind of process is typical for me.  I don't do really long running careers that span multiple KSP versions.  I start each career with a different set of "house rules" and mods, with a definite story arc in mind-- in particular, I have a "done" condition that I'm working towards; it's never open-ended or indefinite.  I find that's what's needed to keep me interested and engaged with KSP over time.  I have fun working through the story arc, then I start a new career.)

Grannus was only implemented as a point in which an expansion could happen. Unfortunately, due to limitations in KSP/Kopernicus and multiple stars, Grannus has basically become a pointless star, that messes with solar panels. Besides curiosity, there isn't much reason to venture there yet :/

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I thought Grannus has asteroids orbiting it?

Yes it does. Since it has no planets I took the liberty of putting somethings that will make a trip worthwhile anyway until something does happen (whether by the GPP team or by the fans' discretion) but kept them secret. The one thing that everyone should know by now is that Grannus has asteroids. And that's also part of why I've been very concerned about the broken asteroid config.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Honestly you could make an argument for solar panels not working at Grannus at all without going too far out of universe. Kerbal solar panels could be made out of a material with a bandgap greater than the energy of most of Grannus' output, so while Ciro's yellow light knocks electrons off the "silikon" atoms the red and infrared which dominates Grannus' spectrum just heats them up. Grannus' visual appearance is more like an L-dwarf anyways - it is WAY too red for its temperature. 

I just set luminosity at Grannus to 1360 and everything is fine - really it is not that insane to have higher-than expected luminosity for solar panels considering a) that Grannus is pretty big and b) most ships which get there are using RTGs or nukes anyways, since good luck getting power for anything during the trip out there. 

Here is a color temperature chart I found:

550px-Color_temperature_black_body_radia

Grannus looks like it is under 2000 kelvins - that is brown dwarf territory. 

OhioBob did mention something along the lines of revelation of how red Grannus itself and its ambient light would or wouldn't be, and that under certain skies Grannus would look no different from Ciro and the surface would be lit as though from Ciro. We may opt to stay with the current visual settings because when we chose to make Grannus a red star we wanted that expected look of dim, abysmal ambient redness. He also mentioned tat we could keep the current luminosities but introduce some kind of modifier to perfectly normalize solar panel Ec output around both stars but that would cause the parts to show 3% of their normal ratings when read in the SPH/VAB. And that would confuse the excrements™ out of people.

Grannus could just be made a bit smaller - an 0.08 solar-mass red dwarf can conceivably have a surface temperature under 2000K based on most stellar evolution models. It wouldn't change its SOI that much, and while its luminosity would be lower it wouldn't affect anything in the Ciro system significantly. 

0.46 solar mass stars (about what Grannus has now) is approaching spectral class K - these stars are not fully convective, undergo expansion into red giants and live less than a Trillion years. They are not really "red dwarfs" in the truest sense. In fact, Grannus is almost large enough to eventually fuse helium. It is not really that much different from Ciro thermodynamically. 

Dear Community, 

I require help getting  this mod to work. Having explored every  corner of the normal KSP solar system,  I hoped to explore this pack, later adding KSPIE. However, I am currently  caught in a strange bootloop.

What I've done so far:

1, Clean  KSP install, ran the game once.

2. Installed Kopernikus, ran it.

3. Installed GPP, game loaded fine. However, when starting a new game, the game never passed the loading screen. The little star system animation keeps playing, the game doesn't  freeze, it doesn't progress either.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem? 

Thanks  in advance! 

P.S,: I am running in 64 bit mode, I have 8 GB Ram, a 2 day old Win 10 installation, a GTX 970mx and 2 i7 kernels.

10 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Grannus could just be made a bit smaller - an 0.08 solar-mass red dwarf can conceivably have a surface temperature under 2000K based on most stellar evolution models. It wouldn't change its SOI that much, and while its luminosity would be lower it wouldn't affect anything in the Ciro system significantly. 

0.46 solar mass stars (about what Grannus has now) is approaching spectral class K - these stars are not fully convective, undergo expansion into red giants and live less than a Trillion years. They are not really "red dwarfs" in the truest sense. In fact, Grannus is almost large enough to eventually fuse helium. It is not really that much different from Ciro thermodynamically. 

Grannus' properties are based on this:  http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~emamajek/EEM_dwarf_UBVIJHK_colors_Teff.txt

From that table we're using:

Spectral type:  M2V
Effective temperature:  3550 K
Luminosity:  10^-1.57 = 0.0269 x Sun
Mass:  0.48 x Sun

and from temperature and luminosity,

Radius = SQRT(0.0269*(5772/3550)^4) = 0.43 x Sun

where 5772 K is effective temperature of Sun.

The in-game color of Grannus is artistic license and is not meant to be a true representation of what it would look like.

Edited by OhioBob