[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

4 hours ago, Yakvi said:

@JadeOfMaar how do you mod only one engine at a time? I think I'd like to start experimenting with aeronautics.

Lol. I meant to say I only tuned one of them for this particular situation. I've modded many engines, many ways in total. I've also learned to manipulate drag cubes and several other things directly concerning KSP aero.

Also, it's easy to mod only one engine at a time. When you're ready to start tweaking individual parts, or if you want a stock engine tuned a certain way, let me know.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Does anybody know how to get funnier/more varied science reports with this planet pack? I've asked this question before and someone suggested crowd sourced science but I've tried it and it doesn't seem to work. I know it's possible because in Scott Manley's Galileo Conquest play through he seems to have better science reports. Does anybody know what mod he is using? Any help would awesome.

I've been digging a bit throught the wiki and found a few issues. 

• Niven doesn't have the image map. "View directly" returns 404. 
  • Gratian description says that you need SVE in order to see the storms. Probably obsolete or you really need it?
  • Tellumo page speaks about Kerbalkind. Not sure if the name of the gaelean species was changed, as well. 
  • Moons of Nero don't have description (all but Hadrian), only the image map. Maybe it's worth at least to copy the text from the image map for the sake of consistency.

I mean, it's all small stuff, but I wanted to point it out :) 

3 minutes ago, Yakvi said:

I've been digging a bit throught the wiki and found a few issues. 

• Niven doesn't have the image map. "View directly" returns 404. 
  • Gratian description says that you need SVE in order to see the storms. Probably obsolete or you really need it?
  • Tellumo page speaks about Kerbalkind. Not sure if the name of the gaelean species was changed, as well. 
  • Moons of Nero don't have description (all but Hadrian), only the image map. Maybe it's worth at least to copy the text from the image map for the sake of consistency.

I mean, it's all small stuff, but I wanted to point it out :) 

The GitHub wiki has been left alone for some time now. It's due for some tending to, alright.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

Their family name is Gaelan. Their species name is Gaelean.

Although I think we've settled on spelling Gaelean, I don't think it's settled yet that that's the name of the species.  To me "Gaeleans" is synonymous with "Earthlings", i.e. the beings that live on Gael and Earth.  However, Earthlings belong to the species Human.  In much the same way, I believe Gaeleans below to the species Kerbal.  I.e. those little green guys in GPP are still Kerbals, but they're also Gaeleans because they live on Gael.

Hmm, there could be some lore around it of how the kerbals have made escape from dying Kerbal ages ago, and are now rebuilding their civilization... 

And by civilization, I mean Space Program. 

Edited by Yakvi

I toyed with Lore a long time ago with GPP but  ulimately decided it was a dumb. KSP is not a story telling game, but a potential platform for others to tell their own story. KSP/GPP gives the players the tools to create there own story. No need for the devs to implement a story or lore. That's what makes KSPs replay value so high. It's never the same 

Just now, Yakvi said:

Well, technically there will be space for storytelling Soon(tm) when Making History releases. Telling story through quest descriptions and Anomalies is an incredibly powerful tool. 

Yeah, I personally think it's gonna be a niche thing :/ I'll likely never use the feature. I'm not into missions or storytelling. Again, that's just me, but I assume others feel the same way

14 minutes ago, Yakvi said:

Hmm, there could be some lore around it of how the kerbals have made escape from dying Kerbal ages ago, and are now rebuilding their civilization... 

It was Galileo's explicit decision early on that this would not be the case-- rather that Kerbin never existed and kerbalkind started in a better (and less cartoonish) place. However, who are we to force this on users of our mod, especially now that GPP_Secondary is a thing and allows them to do exactly this in-game.

I really dig the freedom KSP gives you, and I love the uniqueness of the stories I've read. The player may be doing the EXACT same thing as another storyteller, but have a COMPLETELY different story or experience. I feel like the mission creator thing is just going to corral the uniqueness and force many to have the same story to tell. Not really my cup of tea. I don't like the idea of forcing others to follow a preplanned path. That kinda goes against what ksp has been about for years

Edited by Galileo

@Galileo On the up-side, Mission Creator makes a new way for all the realistic progression fans to experience the same story/stories that they all share-- part of the base appeal of KSP itself to many. There are so many replica craft builds, replica missions and replica challenges. Of course, a lot of us won't primarily go for that, or will try it out for trying's sake.......and then crack it wide open to make it our own. That's already Squad's intent with the whole snazzy "drag and drop" UI they bragged about with it.

21 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Galileo On the up-side, Mission Creator makes a new way for all the realistic progression fans to experience the same story/stories that they all share-- part of the base appeal of KSP itself to many. There are so many replica craft builds, replica missions and replica challenges. Of course, a lot of us won't primarily go for that, or will try it out for trying's sake.......and then crack it wide open to make it our own. That's already Squad's intent with the whole snazzy "drag and drop" UI they bragged about with it.

Realistic Progression isn't for me. I play ksp, not to try and replicate what has already been done, but to see how would figure out getting to space. The closest I'll get to RP is an altered tech tree that puts parts where they would realistically be unlocked. I do agree that the RP crowd is a big one in this community and could benefit from it.

Edited by Galileo

43 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Realistic Progression isn't for me. I play ksp, not to try and replicate what has already been done, but to see how would figure out getting to space. The closest I'll get to RP is an altered tech tree that puts parts where they would realistically be unlocked. I do agree that the RP crowd is a big one in this community and could benefit from it.

This mod is a great alternative to a full RP-type experience:

I'm currently using it in my GPP 2.5x career (which successfully migrated to GPP 1.5.1 last night) and having a lot of fun.  The only downside is that  you'll never get any missions for Niven, since it assumes that the home world is third from the sun.  Excellent in all other respects, though.

34 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I play ksp, not to try and replicate what has already been done, but to see how would figure out getting to space.

That's pretty much what I do too.  Obviously there's logical progression to what I do, with some of it mirroring real life because that's what makes the most sense to me.  But I don't like trying to replicate real life vehicles or missions.  I want to do things my way.

19 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

This mod is a great alternative to a full RP-type experience:

I'm currently using it in my GPP 2.5x career (which successfully migrated to GPP 1.5.1 last night) and having a lot of fun.  The only downside is that  you'll never get any missions for Niven, since it assumes that the home world is third from the sun.  Excellent in all other respects, though.

OMG this is amazing. Thanks for letting me know this thing exists!