[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

21 minutes ago, Gilph said:

You didn't mention if you have radiators on your vessel. I believe they are needed.  I have a Thalia lander en route, but it may be a few days before I get there.

I have landed on Eta without the need to deploy radiators, but Thalia is a different animal.

Also pay attention to the heat rating of your probe parts. Use as many 2000K parts as you can, and include several TCS on your craft.

You can definitely land on Thalia -- even set up a permanent base.  But you'll need sufficient radiators to cool everything down.  I believe if you're using Kerbalism (I don't anymore), there should be some Kerbalism specific challenges you'll also need to deal with.

1 hour ago, AG5BPilot said:

You can definitely land on Thalia -- even set up a permanent base.  But you'll need sufficient radiators to cool everything down.  I believe if you're using Kerbalism (I don't anymore), there should be some Kerbalism specific challenges you'll also need to deal with.

Is this intended? It seems like radiators should not actually work to cool probes/bases on Thalia, since they should just be sinks for getting the same radiative heat into the vessel.

2 minutes ago, larkvi said:

Is this intended? It seems like radiators should not actually work to cool probes/bases on Thalia, since they should just be sinks for getting the same radiative heat into the vessel.

Radiators work very basically in KSP. They suck the heat out of other parts on the craft. They dissipate that heat. They only work in vacuum.

4 minutes ago, larkvi said:

I've been thinking about this too. But as long as the radiators are much hotter than the environment, the laws of thermodynamics aren't violated. It's basically like a fridge.

Well, looks like future missions will be adding some radiators to the ships. Honestly though, it's kind of a low priority planet. It yields nice amounts of science, but it has little else to offer. The gas giants and their atmospheric moons look like some very nice targets for future manned missions.

Edited by Jesse-Lacey
L2Spellcheck.

1 minute ago, Three_Pounds said:

How does one localize the KSPedia of GPP? I think I have seen other mods made localization aliases (#LOCxxx...) available for those - or I am dreaming? Do I have to compile them myself?

Well, since the KSPedia pages are images, you won't be able to translate them without recreating them as far as I know. I have not looked into whether they can be translated otherwise

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Well, since the KSPedia pages are images, you won't be able to translate them without recreating them as far as I know. I have not looked into whether they can be translated otherwise

Where can I find the source files for those? Or are they ARR?

EDIT: I see that there is a branch for them in the github repo. But I have no clue what the hell I am looking at. Looks like I would really have to recompile to whole thing to translate it.

EDIT2: But that won't automatically set the appropriate KSPedia version. Looks like to make this work properly, @Poodmund would have to add localization support to the KSPedia. Is that an option? I found this mod has a localized KSPedia so maybe you can have a look how it's done? :)

Edited by Three_Pounds

12 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

EDIT2: But that won't automatically set the appropriate KSPedia version. Looks like to make this work properly, @Poodmund would have to add localization support to the KSPedia. Is that an option? I found this mod has a localized KSPedia so maybe you can have a look how it's done? :)

I honestly have no idea how that works. :/ 

On 9/19/2017 at 7:49 PM, Gilph said:

Hmmmm...I went to rescue Valentina in orbit around Thalia. The pod was empty.  I dont see her as a casuality in the Complex and she does not show up in the persist file or the logs. Maybe has something to do with being one of the stock original four that I replaced with the new names, but I did rescue Jeb in Iota. Any thoughts?

Edit1: just checked the contract. It now says "rescue from orbit of Thalia" and the contract text says "Test test test test"

Odd item #2: Went to visit my Niven Station with a science lab, manned by scientist Cerphia Gaelan. I got a message saying science research had stopped because Cerphia is now an engineer. She is also an applicant, not crew, with her flight logs all reset to an applicant's setting. I was able to restore her settings from a save a week ago.  This is the second really odd thing since I rescued Jebediah the engineer a few days ago.

1 hour ago, Jesse-Lacey said:

Well, looks like future missions will be adding some radiators to the ships. Honestly though, it's kind of a low priority planet. It yields nice amounts of science, but it has little else to offer. The gas giants and their atmospheric moons look like some very nice targets for future manned missions.

If you're running any mods which include hard-to-find resources (such as Karborundum) then Thalia's appeal may increase. ;-)

On 9/19/2017 at 1:20 PM, OhioBob said:

The 1220 m/s on the ∆v map is definitely on the low side, but I ran through years worth of encounters using Transfer Window Planner and I didn't get anything approaching the ~2,500 m/s that @linecrafter talked about, or even the 2,200 m/s that you budget.  I didn't keep notes, but it seems to me that the orbit insertion ∆v was usually about 1600-1700 m/s for a "good" encounter.  (That is, if we throw out the really bad ones and take a median of what remains.)  Of course that's orbit insertion, not capture.  The ∆v map budgets 350 m/s to go from capture to low orbit.  So that means the ∆v for capture should probably be about 1,300 m/s.  If you guys are getting capture ∆v >2,000 m/s, then you must have picked a bad launch window, or somehow maneuvered yourselves into a poor encounter.

So, it looks like I'm not very careful with my Pe.  I had 3 ships arrive at Thalia with good transfer trajectories:

1.  at 3 million Pe, burn was 2417 to capture
  2. at 5m Pe, burn was 2416
  3. at 200k, burn was 1883

The deltav maps show a 15k Pe.  I have been actually sending vessels to Eta, so I've not cared very much about the tight Thalia Pe on approach, but it does save a lot of deltav when you do.

@OhioBob, thanks for your help.

7 minutes ago, BigKerbBarnes said:

Is it normal if the normal solar system still appears, and there is no KSC on Gael? Just a few questions, for a few bugs in my game. I can't spawn at the Gael KSC, it brings me to Kerbin.

Did you install GPP_Secondary? Because that is exactly what GPP_Secondary does. From the install instructions:

GPP Secondary

This new addon mod makes GPP into a distant non-primary system

Edited by Galileo

15 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Did you install GPP_Secondary? Because that is exactly what GPP_Secondary does. From the install instructions:

GPP Secondary

This new addon mod makes GPP into a distant non-primary system

Oh, I guess I was blind and dumb, well thanks for letting me know. Keep doing things like this mod, I enjoy every mod you make, great job!