[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Ok, so I'm apparently super late to the party, but who else knew about the tier 1 VAB that was a barn?!?! I'd sure love to see that in KSP. I guess it was teased before the beta was released, but Squad opted to go with what we have currently. I just saw a really old video of the barn, and I have to say, it was full of character. I think it would look great in GPP lol a little old barn on an island. I could finally role play the whole Astronaut Farmer movie :) 

#BringBackTheBarn 

Edited by Galileo

12 hours ago, Galileo said:

I actually need to update Rescale to make a necessary change. I was asleep when SD updated :D 

What has changed with the most recent SigmaD  that requires changing in the configs? The change-log for SigmaD on git doesn't have anything that immediately jumps out at me.

I ask because I usually make my own rescale cfg and I just started building my 1.3 install a few days ago and SigmaD was the last major thing I was waiting on.

3 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

What has changed with the most recent SigmaD  that requires changing in the configs? The change-log for SigmaD on git doesn't have anything that immediately jumps out at me.

I ask because I usually make my own rescale cfg and I just started building my 1.3 install a few days ago and SigmaD was the last major thing I was waiting on.

just a minor change for KKtoSD and how SD ready the body name. 

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

just a minor change for KKtoSD and how SD ready the body name. 

Ah ok, I havn't used KK before because of the issues with rescaling, and I never could bring myself to take the time to dig in and figure out KKtoSD... Now that you have gone ahead and done it I may have to take a look and see what it's all about ;p

Thank you sir o7 your contributions to the community are greatly appreciated!

10 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I mean, after all that's a very specific set of properties...

Well, asi i said...

12 hours ago, Salvator said:

and preferably having the Kerbol system preserved.

I thought that made it clear - that not modifying the stock system would be a nice bonus, what's important for me is the black hole in the centre.

10 minutes ago, Salvator said:

Well, asi i said...

I thought that made it clear - that not modifying the stock system would be a nice bonus, what's important for me is the black hole in the centre.

He was being sarcastic with Jadofmaar who clearly forgot that Galactic Neighborhood existed. Go give GN a look. You'll probably like what you see.

He was being sarcastic with Jadofmaar who clearly forgot that Galactic Neighborhood existed. Go give GN a look. You'll probably like what you see.

Oh, sorry. Me not being a native english speaker combined with the fact that it's morning here, so i just recently got up, doesn't doesn't help my cognitive abilities :D

3 hours ago, Akira_R said:

Ah ok, I havn't used KK before because of the issues with rescaling, and I never could bring myself to take the time to dig in and figure out KKtoSD... Now that you have gone ahead and done it I may have to take a look and see what it's all about ;p

Thank you sir o7 your contributions to the community are greatly appreciated!

KKtoSD requires almost zero effort to use

all KK group definitions are automatically loaded into SD that will reposition all statics automatically, the only things you might want to set manually are:

groups that are centered around stock landmarks (KSC, KSC2, Island Runway, Pyramids) will not be centered correctly unless you specify that those landmarks are part of the group

some buildings should not be repositioned with their group because they are located on a specific geographic feature (a hill, river or something)

so you might want to add them to a new group so they are repositioned alone

Greetings!

First off, I commend the team for this amazing mod; the look, the feel, everything was phenomenally developed.

Second, I couldn't help but notice that there is a distinct line between the day and night side of planets such as Gael and Tellumo, which I don't seem to notice on let's say, Niven, Hadrian, or Augustus (just to name a few bodies). So my question is: is it not possible to create a seamless color gradient between the day and night sides for these planets? Cheers :) 

22 minutes ago, drZuko said:

Greetings!

First off, I commend the team for this amazing mod; the look, the feel, everything was phenomenally developed.

Second, I couldn't help but notice that there is a distinct line between the day and night side of planets such as Gael and Tellumo, which I don't seem to notice on let's say, Niven, Hadrian, or Augustus (just to name a few bodies). So my question is: is it not possible to create a seamless color gradient between the day and night sides for these planets? Cheers :) 

Unless I'm out of date and Galileo takes it upon himself to gnaw at me like Sigma88 just did :P  the reason smooth terminators are disabled on Gael and Tellumo is because there is an issue with EVE where non-white clouds turn black. A lot of other visual effects are missing from GPP because of this or other dependency reasons.

2 hours ago, drZuko said:

Greetings!

You see these hard terminators due to how dense the cloud coverage is and how scatterer and EVE integration work. This is why it's a smooth gradient on cloudless bodies. Also, people want the colorful clouds at dusk and dawn. Gael and Tellumo are the only bodies that have the EVE integration enabled which is what causes the hard terminator. There is nothing I could do that wouldn't make it look worse and I don't want to sacrifice quality elsewhere to make something less important look better. 

Edited by Galileo

17 hours ago, Galileo said:

Ok, so I'm apparently super late to the party, but who else knew about the tier 1 VAB that was a barn?!?! I'd sure love to see that in KSP. I guess it was teased before the beta was released, but Squad opted to go with what we have currently. I just saw a really old video of the barn, and I have to say, it was full of character. I think it would look great in GPP lol a little old barn on an island. I could finally role play the whole Astronaut Farmer movie :) 

#BringBackTheBarn 

Not to reignite that controversy (but here I go anyway), but much of the criticism I saw of the 'tier 0' buildings, including the barn, was justified.  It would be a neat Easter egg to have it appear somewhere else on Gael, but I wouldn't want to see it at the KSC.  (Sort of like the original KSC buildings in stock -- having them out there as a second KSC to find is cool, but I wouldn't want to go back to having them be the KSC.)

That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask: In stock, when you find an Easter egg you get a little bonus through the world first milestones system.  I've only gone to one anomaly in GPP so far, on Iota, but I'm pretty sure it didn't trigger any such bonus.  Is that something you have any control over, and if so can you bring it back?  Although the reward wasn't large, I always liked it as it gave me just enough incentive to go find and visit the anomalies.

I think it's probably about time that I work on compatibility between GPP and Extrasolar. Can't be that hard...

What kind of issues are there between GPP + Extrasolar? I just want an idea of what I'm dealing with before I start. Sorry if I'm asking a question that's been addressed previously. I promise I'm not a noob to the forums :)

11 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I think it's probably about time that I work on compatibility between GPP and Extrasolar. Can't be that hard...

What kind of issues are there between GPP + Extrasolar? I just want an idea of what I'm dealing with before I start. Sorry if I'm asking a question that's been addressed previously. I promise I'm not a noob to the forums :)

This is exactly what GPP_secondary is for :wink: 

all you need to do is change the reference body/orbit/SMA of Ciro in the Ciro.cfg in the GPP_Secondary folder. Put it around any star. The work is already 95% done. You can make the adjustments using MM and include it in Extrasolar. Just make sure it's done with :NEEDS[GPP_Secondary].

Edited by Galileo

This is exactly what GPP_secondary is for :wink: 

all you need to do is change the reference body/orbit/SMA of Ciro in the Ciro.cfg in the GPP_Secondary folder. Put it around any star. The work is already 95% done. You can make the adjustments using MM and include it in Extrasolar. Just make sure it's done with :NEEDS[GPP_Secondary].

Perfect!

20 hours ago, Galileo said:

#BringBackTheBarn 

At the time, everyone agreed that they hated the barn. Not sure the early game needs more grind, adding another level of VAB anyways....

2 minutes ago, larkvi said:

At the time, everyone agreed that they hated the barn. Not sure the early game needs more grind, adding another level of VAB anyways....

I understand that, and more grind wouldn't be good, but having it as tier 1 instead of tier 0 wouldn't be too awful. I guess I would just love an art pass on the current models and assets of the buildings in general. The are very bland in my opinion.

@Galileo and @Sigma88
I stumbled upon the above mention of Galactic Neighborhood.  Awesome-looking mod.
However, I'm presently playing a GPP game that I'd like to add it to...
I did a light scan of the GN forum and did not seem to spot an answer.  I'm also not that terribly knowledgeable about the mod settings (though I could probably invest some time to figure it out, eventually).
Assuming either of you might have thought of the same idea, do either of you know how to achieve the end goal of effectively starting on Gael (around Ciro) and having Kerbol/Sun accessible as a secondary system with GN?  <.<;;

5 minutes ago, everchanging02 said:

@Galileo and @Sigma88
I stumbled upon the above mention of Galactic Neighborhood.  Awesome-looking mod.
However, I'm presently playing a GPP game that I'd like to add it to...
I did a light scan of the GN forum and did not seem to spot an answer.  I'm also not that terribly knowledgeable about the mod settings (though I could probably invest some time to figure it out, eventually).
Assuming either of you might have thought of the same idea, do either of you know how to achieve the end goal of effectively starting on Gael (around Ciro) and having Kerbol/Sun accessible as a secondary system with GN?  <.<;;

GPP has been compatible with GN for a very long time. But nothing will save your career from breaking if you add GN mid-game. It's the usual problem of adding/removing planet packs mid-game.

As for having GPP be the primary system in a game with GN, such an option currently does may not exist.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

GPP has been compatible with GN for a very long time. But nothing will save your career from breaking if you add GN mid-game. It's the usual problem of adding/removing planet packs mid-game.

Interesting.  Didn't know that.  I did not seem to suffer that with 1.1.3, but that could have been because I was using stock and only added OPM there.
I'll tinker, but thank you for the heads-up!