[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

I'd like to take the chance to drop a little note especially to those of us who are not modders.

If you have GPP and-or other planet mods installed and you want KSP 1.4, be sure that you do not install, or have not installed 1.4. Remember that Kopernicus is version locked and will fail.

Do not come complaining to Galileo or the Kopernicus developers because your game broke. You have had many occasions already to learn how to not let Steam update KSP by itself, and to wait for Kopernicus to catch up.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I've been working for a while to establish a permanent, self-sustaining base in the Thalia/Eve system.  After checking every biome thoroughly, I've noticed that there is zero concentration of Exotic Minerals on both bodies. no EM anywhere in the couplet.

Anyone know if this is a bug?  Seems odd not to be able to setup a self-sustaining base there, as it's hinted in the description you'd need to mine from both to be successful.  That description is what brought me there in the first place as it looked like a good challenge.

So I guess a) if it's a bug, please consider this a bug report and b) if it's not a bug, is there a way to add this after the fact once the solar system is generated?  This looks like a very fun risk/reward planetary system, and I'd love to setup a strong permanent presence there.

Also, if any of the creators see this, *thank you* for hands-down the best planet-pack content available for KSP!  I'd say without doubt the progression and overall design are far better than the stock system.  You deserve very high praise for all your work on this mod.

1 hour ago, Chilkoot said:

I've been working for a while to establish a permanent, self-sustaining base in the Thalia/Eve system.  After checking every biome thoroughly, I've noticed that there is zero concentration of Exotic Minerals on both bodies. no EM anywhere in the couplet.

Anyone know if this is a bug?  Seems odd not to be able to setup a self-sustaining base there, as it's hinted in the description you'd need to mine from both to be successful.  That description is what brought me there in the first place as it looked like a good challenge.

So I guess a) if it's a bug, please consider this a bug report and b) if it's not a bug, is there a way to add this after the fact once the solar system is generated?  This looks like a very fun risk/reward planetary system, and I'd love to setup a strong permanent presence there.

Also, if any of the creators see this, *thank you* for hands-down the best planet-pack content available for KSP!  I'd say without doubt the progression and overall design are far better than the stock system.  You deserve very high praise for all your work on this mod.

Players may find themselves landing here more than they expect if they intend to develop any long-term operations on or around Thalia, especially with base-building or life support mods.

While this is in our description for Eta, I think you interpreted it wrong or out of context. If you have yet to visit Thalia's surface, you will quickly find why you will be returning to Eta as soon as you do. I won't give too away, but it has nothing to do with resources.

Also in our wiki description for Thalia, I think you may have overlooked this tid bit of info:

a distinct lack of general purpose (most) resources -- a real scare to landers in general and to users of life support mods

End the end, this is not a bug. It's much worse.

Looking forward to a follow up, and to hearing what you think :) 

Edited by Galileo

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

While this is in our description for Eta, I think you interpreted it wrong or out of context. If you have yet to visit Thalia's surface, you will quickly find why you will be returning to Eta as soon as you do. I won't give too away, but it has nothing to do with resources.

Also in our wiki description for Thalia, I think you may have overlooked this tid bit of info:

Yes, on a re-read, I misunderstood the entry on Thalia/Eve, and thanks for clarifying. I took that to mean base builders would be pinballing back/forth to find enough resources...  the entry is clear, my brain wasn't :wink:

Thalia is awesome, by the way.  I don't know how you managed that uh...  'effect' (no spoilers) programmatically without an atmosphere, but it's really well done.  Hell or high water, I'm colonizing that system!

@Galileo @Chilkoot Actually, resources have a great influence in the descriptions of both of these bodies. Thalia, definitely, is not meant to have ExoticMinerals (most of the time) but Eve Eta not having ExoticMinerals is simply a bad roll by the resident RNGeesus. ExoticMinerals is also rare overall in GPP by design which makes the situation much less a result of bad configs.

Honestly though, there ought to be an ExoticMinerals presence on Eta. :/ That's a really bad RNG roll to cause Eta to have none. But you should have no problem shipping ExoticMinerals in (from Gael if you choose). The Gael-Thalia transfer window opens 3x per year.

Bah. Now that 1.4 released (and I am on Steam, and forgot to turn off updates), GPP doesn't work, along with most of the mods I have until they are updated. Any news on when GPP, Kopernicus will be updated? Or can I get back to 1.3.1?

Edited by Retroburn
add text

9 minutes ago, Retroburn said:

Bah. Now that 1.4 released (and I am on Steam, and forgot to turn off updates), GPP doesn't work, along with most of the mods I have until they are updated. Any news on when GPP, Kopernicus will be updated? Or can I get back to 1.3.1?

Hi, and welcome to the forums!  :)

The bottleneck here is going to be Kopernicus.  GPP, like pretty much all planet packs these days, depends on Kopernicus; and Kopernicus is deliberately version-locked and will refuse to run until it's been updated to the new KSP version.  So you'll just have to wait for Kopernicus.

And please, please don't go to the Kopernicus thread and ask him "when will it be updated?", because that's what the entire universe will be doing and I assure you, he definitely knows it needs an update and will get one out as soon as he can.  The answer to "update please?" is "yes, working on it".  And the answer to "when?" is "as soon as it's ready."  Please don't add to the pile of folks pestering him.  :wink:

Yes, it's inconvenient for players, and everyone's sorry about that, but for various and sundry reasons it pretty much has to be this way, and you'll just have to be patient unless you can figure out how to get back to 1.3.1.

14 minutes ago, Retroburn said:

Just go on steam, right click and hit properties for kerbal space program, go to betas, hit previous_1.3.1

Edited by TheUnamusedFox

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Definitely keeping my 1.3.1 version for the foreseeable future. 1.4 is a bit rough around the edges at the moment. 

They always are. Long time players have invariably lost careers to Steam updates, and most of us run multiple installs.

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Honestly though, there ought to be an ExoticMinerals presence on Eta. :/ That's a really bad RNG roll to cause Eta to have none.

Yeah, it's a bit of a head scratcher - not sure what the chances of all zeros are, but it's low enough to raise an eyebrow.  One of the biomes names on Eta is messed up (the Jeb one), and I thought the two might be related.

Being honest as a player, this was a real buzz kill after all the prep to build a large colony there.  Shipping in goods means micro-management on a more macro timescale, so there's a good chance I'll abandon the build plan and likely the save in general.  I'm going to see if there's a way I can edit in even a 0.5% concentration so as not to lose all that effort.

@Chilkoot The best option is to go to KSPinstall/saves/savename/persistence.sfs and change the number at Seed = xyz (at line 10). This will make the RNG roll again. Chances are high that Eta will become playable but it will also affect every resource distribution in the game (for that save).

If you're already far along in your save and fearful that the seed change will break your existing colonies (heck, anyone would be fearful) you can force the resource distribution. Save this anywhere in GameData.

Spoiler

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceName = ExoticMinerals
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Eta

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 80
		MinAbundance = 0.01
		MaxAbundance = 10
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 10
	}
}

By the way, what version of GPP are you using? The Jeb's Dives biome is gone now.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Chilkoot The best option is to go to KSPinstall/saves/savename/persistence.sfs and change the number at Seed = xyz (at line 10). This will make the RNG roll again. Chances are high that Eta will become playable but it will also affect every resource distribution in the game (for that save).

If you're already far along in your save and fearful that the seed change will break your existing colonies (heck, anyone would be fearful) you can force the resource distribution. Save this anywhere in GameData.

Hide contents

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceName = ExoticMinerals
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Eta

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 80
		MinAbundance = 0.01
		MaxAbundance = 10
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 10
	}
}

By the way, what version of GPP are you using? The Jeb's Dives biome is gone now.

I'm on GPP 1.6.1.2 and I can say without equivocation that there is still a biome called #LOC_GPP_Planets_Biome_JebsDivesDisplayName.  You can land there and do research, and its resource values and science are unique compared to others.  Data from today:

2lBBguZ.png

Thanks for that info for the GameData folder.  I'm assuming this needs to be pasted into a file with a particular name and/or extension.  I'll figure that out... is this something that will be read by Mod Manager on boot?

EDIT: Here's some more proof I'm not pulling that biome out of my butt...

2q0HPYO.png

jgVT1Q8.png

vIjKHAV.png

Last shot has lat/lon to help with troubleshooting.  Hopefully of some use!

Edited by Chilkoot
More pics

@Chilkoot Thanks for that. I found it where it is. That biome is actually called Crests, meaning the tallest place(s).

If you can, open GPP/GPP_Planets/Eta.cfg and change line 45 to displayName = #LOC_GPP_Planets_Biome_CrestsDisplayName and as for the resource fix, save it as (anything).cfg anywhere in GameData.

Congratulations, you are now a modder. :P Make Uncle Sam Kerman/Gaelan proud.

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Chilkoot [...] as for the resource fix, save it as (anything).cfg anywhere in GameData.

I just wanted to say a sincere thank-you for this, JadeOfMaar.  The config file worked perfectly, and there is now a bit of Exotic Mineral on Eta, so between the the two bodies I can build a fully self-sustaining base of operations.  I was on the brink of abandoning that save, which represents probably 100+ hours of play, and was seriously bummed out about starting over due to a poor RNG result... I really had my heart set on the facing the challenge of populating that planetary system.

If you're ever in the Toronto area, count on me for beers.

On 08/03/2018 at 5:39 PM, DarkFighter said:

How is my flag?

O095Zyd.png

This is really cool! I just use the old lego space logo, like my avatar except I use a none scratched version with a transparent background. I also have a t-shirt with the same logo on! 

On 7.3.2018 at 8:45 AM, Galileo said:

"this is not a bug. it´s much worse" :D:D:D lovely 

Lol, well, @OhioBob if you happen to remember the discussion from December (page 225-226) about Iota's geostationary orbit... By year 5, the thing I put there has moved a smidge and doesn't have the assigned orbital period.

Tbh, this might be because of changes when not on-rails, because I swear I ran tests up to around the 10-15 year mark, but that didn't include having a kerbal scout it out in person. Maybe it suffered floating point errors during that 30 minutes that subtly changed it by 0.1s per day or some such. I was careful not to poke it, but... KSP physics is kind of cray cray :) 

Either way it's not a problem, since I've hyperedited it back into place for my mission + screenshots, and if the "docking causes a slight orbital shift"... that's cool because I won't have to set up a comms relay around Iota to talk to it :D  Just thought I'd raise it as a point of interest and see if anyone knows why it might happen :) 

I've just discovered that I can not mine anything on Thalia - drills always read "must land first", even though I'm ground-tethered, and the surface scanning module is working fine:

UtqOkGj.png

This is the only celestial body in Galileo where I've seen this happen... has anyone else encountered this?  It could be a USI/MKS bug, not sure - just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

EDIT:  After a full exit/reload, I was able to start the drill.  Sometimes it self-disables on load... could be a combination of the existing MKS drill bug with Thalia's

Spoiler

heat ocean mechanics buffeting the rig around a bit.

It can be worked around with some persistence and reloads.  It's also possible to start the drill about 25-50cm above the ground before you first touch down, which may be more reliable.

Edited by Chilkoot
Updated info