[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

2 hours ago, Amnesy said:

Just out of curiosity - Since Kopernicus has been updated to 1.4.2 why wouldn't GPP work fine now? Are there other dependencies that need to be updated?

It's not as simple as that unfortunately. If you look in the GPP folder there are a few DLLs that would need to be recompiled.

5 hours ago, Amnesy said:

Just out of curiosity - Since Kopernicus has been updated to 1.4.2 why wouldn't GPP work fine now? Are there other dependencies that need to be updated?

Simple part packs that don't deviate a lot from stock aren't too sensitive to KSP versions, and will frequently work OK with a few if any modifications. Mods like GPP which alter the game universe and rely on a number of other back-end mods (such as Modular Flight Integrator, Kopernicus, and Module Manager) are extremely sensitive to what version of KSP they're running on.

It's my understanding the GPP generally works OK with 1.4.2 using the new Kopernicus, but there are problems with some of the other dependencies and optional mods.  A plain vanilla GPP install will probably be fine, but as soon as you start adding other stuff, you could run into problems.

11 hours ago, Gilph said:

Yes

9 hours ago, Pleb said:

It's not as simple as that unfortunately. If you look in the GPP folder there are a few DLLs that would need to be recompiled.

6 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Simple part packs that don't deviate a lot from stock aren't too sensitive to KSP versions, and will frequently work OK with a few if any modifications. Mods like GPP which alter the game universe and rely on a number of other back-end mods (such as Modular Flight Integrator, Kopernicus, and Module Manager) are extremely sensitive to what version of KSP they're running on.

5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

It's my understanding the GPP generally works OK with 1.4.2 using the new Kopernicus, but there are problems with some of the other dependencies and optional mods.  A plain vanilla GPP install will probably be fine, but as soon as you start adding other stuff, you could run into problems.

Got it - I figured a pack this extensive would be based on a number of background dependencies. In that case I'll just patiently wait until everything gets updated to start a new and exciting journey through the Ciro System :-) 
Thank you to all the devs that made this pack possible by the way if I haven't posted that before!

I have a question that I'm not sure who can answer, but I'll ask anyway:

I am having big trouble landing on Tellumo in 2.5x rescale (I don't even want to take off again). When I go for the final aerobrake pass, the shallowness of the atmo + high orbital speed means that I get an extreme acceleration spike, flipping the craft out and destroying it; any ideas on how to remedy that?

Edit: I sort of managed it, by decreasing the craft ballistic coefficient by using the giant inflatable heat shield, thus allowing a shallower reentry.

Edited by Spheniscine

9 hours ago, Spheniscine said:

I have a question that I'm not sure who can answer, but I'll ask anyway:

I am having big trouble landing on Tellumo in 2.5x rescale (I don't even want to take off again). When I go for the final aerobrake pass, the shallowness of the atmo + high orbital speed means that I get an extreme acceleration spike, flipping the craft out and destroying it; any ideas on how to remedy that?

Edit: I sort of managed it, by decreasing the craft ballistic coefficient by using the giant inflatable heat shield, thus allowing a shallower reentry.

What's your AP/PE when you're on your descent trajectory?

I don't remember, I think the doomed craft had Ap was about 65km and Pe was about 45km (For reference the atmo is 58.5km high on the 2.5x rescale) - when I added the giant heat shield though I went for a very shallow reentry, with Ap at 59.5 km and  Pe at 55-56km I think.

Edited by Spheniscine

7 minutes ago, Spheniscine said:

I don't remember, I think Ap was about 65km and Pe was about 45km (For reference the atmo is 58.5km high on the 2.5x rescale) - when I added the giant heat shield though I went for a very shallow reentry, with Ap at 59.5 km and  Pe at 55-56km I think.

Interesting...When landing on Kerbin/Gael you want to aim pretty low like 30-35km PE. Tellumo's atmosphere is so thick though it's a bit different. I've landed a couple of probes with PE's around 45-50km like yours.

Could it be that the flipping has more to do with your Center of Mass and Center of Drag? If you're craft isn't weighted to face in the right direction you can sometimes compensate with reaction wheels, but with a denser atmosphere the forces trying to flip your craft to CoM down are going to be stronger.

Just now, Tyko said:

Interesting...When landing on Kerbin/Gael you want to aim pretty low like 30-35km PE. Tellumo's atmosphere is so thick though it's a bit different. I've landed a couple of probes with PE's around 45-50km like yours.

Could it be that the flipping has more to do with your Center of Mass and Center of Drag? If you're craft isn't weighted to face in the right direction you can sometimes compensate with reaction wheels, but with a denser atmosphere the forces trying to flip your craft to CoM down are going to be stronger.

The contract also required me to land the relatively heavy Vector engine with the probe. And I suppose static stability was probably an issue, but I was also getting an extreme amount of g's before the craft would flip (the g-meter gets pinned for a few seconds before the craft flips out and explodes). The craft I finally managed to land peaked at about 14.4 g's, still quite a lot

3 hours ago, ET_Gamer said:

I have noticed that on tyloomo's surface, you cannot see any water...

It is just a very big hole.

Do you have Better Looking Oceans installed? Make sure to get the latest version.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

12 hours ago, Spheniscine said:

I've experienced this problem many times when attempting to aerocapture, just not at Tellumo but at other planets as well, including the stock ones.  In my experience the vessel always flips just as it reaches the lowest point in its trajectory and is about ready to begin rising again.  The only remedy that I've ever found is to simply start over with a higher periapsis.  There seems to be a periapsis threshold below which the vessel become unstable.  I usually only have the problem when aerocapturing/braking, where the vessel is doing a "skip".  I don't recall having the problem during a landing when I'm coming in at a steeper angle, unless I just have a poorly designed and aerodynamically unstable vessel.

4 hours ago, Spheniscine said:

The contract also required me to land the relatively heavy Vector engine with the probe. And I suppose static stability was probably an issue, but I was also getting an extreme amount of g's before the craft would flip (the g-meter gets pinned for a few seconds before the craft flips out and explodes). The craft I finally managed to land peaked at about 14.4 g's, still quite a lot

The inflatable heat shield generates so much drag that I've seen people use it as a parachute of sorts. Although it will look goofy, you might want to consider placing an inflatable shield on the top of your reentry vehicle as well as the bottom when attacking Tellumo.

Recent tests of a Catullus Ascent Vehicle. (It was a fail, sadly)

r8VI5UI.jpg

DHe5zPI.jpg

CmLONR0.jpg

Warning. Spoiler contains really bright colors. Do not open if you have allergic or otherwise involuntary reactions to imagery or if you are an Internet user under age 16 or if you are currently on any medication that promises relief but guarantees any of 12+ very undesirable side-effects..... By opening this you agree to take full responsibility for your own (re)actions and will not attempt any litigation action against me.

Spoiler

Lol.

This was my favorite portion of the testing time.

Vz1EhwU.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 4/4/2018 at 4:11 PM, OhioBob said:

I've experienced this problem many times when attempting to aerocapture, just not at Tellumo but at other planets as well, including the stock ones.  In my experience the vessel always flips just as it reaches the lowest point in its trajectory and is about ready to begin rising again.  The only remedy that I've ever found is to simply start over with a higher periapsis.  There seems to be a periapsis threshold below which the vessel become unstable.  I usually only have the problem when aerocapturing/braking, where the vessel is doing a "skip".  I don't recall having the problem during a landing when I'm coming in at a steeper angle, unless I just have a poorly designed and aerodynamically unstable vessel.

Add air-brakes to the top of your lander...   It won't flip so long as you have large enough air-brakes on the top end.   There are many MM files out there to give you tiny to ginormous air-brakes so fitting some shouldn't be an issue.  

On 4/4/2018 at 5:25 PM, Norcalplanner said:

The inflatable heat shield generates so much drag that I've seen people use it as a parachute of sorts. Although it will look goofy, you might want to consider placing an inflatable shield on the top of your reentry vehicle as well as the bottom when attacking Tellumo.

It is amazing for a 0.9375m Probe core. that is for sure.  Best Chute ever... I can use it from extreme attitude and not have to worry about popping it like an Inline Ballutte or shredding it like a stock chute.

17 minutes ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

Can we expect anything new with the future 1.4.2 update.

Someone (OhioBob?) said that the base version without any of the extras is working in 1.4.2, but the full version with all the bells and whistles is still being worked on.  If you're playing a rescaled game, or enjoy the new content provided via Kerbal Konstructs, then we're still in a waiting pattern.  Some aspects are dependent on other mods which aren't quite up to snuff yet for 1.4.2.

Honestly, given the number of bugs which were introduced in 1.4.2, I'm still playing my 1.3.1 GPP 2.5x career and waiting for 1.4.3.

2 hours ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

Can we expect anything new with the future 1.4.2 update.

If you do a fresh install with just the following, it works.  But beyond that I can make no guarantees.

• KSP 1.4.2
  • Kopernicus 1.4.2-1
  • GPP 1.6.2.2
  • GPP_Textures 4.1.1

There are known issues with some of the optional and recommended mods.  And since probably every GPP player uses at least some of those mods, we're not updating until everything is working.

In the meantime, you can do whatever you want, but you're entirely on your own.  Don't expect any support from the GPP devs if you're using KSP 1.4.x, and please don't make any bug reports.

2 hours ago, ArmchairPhysicist said:

Will installing either realism overhaul or RSS cause bad things to happen with GPP/GPP secondary?

Yes. GPP is a stock scale system. It will not work with a real scale system like RSS.