[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

8 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

Would it be possible to make Kerbol/Gael a binary system, permit active launch pads on both to allow for interstellar travel between systems so you could play both at the same time on the same installation? :P

GPP comes packaged with what it takes to make a Kerbol-Ciro binary system.  Just install GPP along with the optional mod GPP_Secondary.  This will place Ciro in orbit around Kerbol.  However, Kerbin becomes the home world and only it will have launch facilities.  I don't know if it's possible to place launch facilities on a body other than the home world.  But even if it is possible, the GPP authors aren't doing it.  Other than bug fixes, we're finished with GPP.

48 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Other than bug fixes, we're finished with GPP.

:( Not unsurprising but still sad! Still this is pretty much finished now, I can't thinking anything it doesn't already have that it would need. Definitely the definitive planet pack for KSP, I've tried to replay the stock system and couldn't as it doesn't feel right anymore after using this for so long!

16 minutes ago, Pleb said:

:( Not unsurprising but still sad! Still this is pretty much finished now, I can't thinking anything it doesn't already have that it would need. Definitely the definitive planet pack for KSP, I've tried to replay the stock system and couldn't as it doesn't feel right anymore after using this for so long!

We are planning an update soon that fixes some bugs, but other than that, we've just reached a point where it's too difficult to make changes.  Understanding and following the code logic is no longer a simple task.  Integrating a change in one place can have unintended consequences that may result in hours of debugging.  I think we have most of it working now, so I dread the thought of even making minor changes.  Long story short, working on GPP is just not fun anymore.

36 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

We are planning an update soon that fixes some bugs, but other than that, we've just reached a point where it's too difficult to make changes.  Understanding and following the code logic is no longer a simple task.  Integrating a change in one place can have unintended consequences that may result in hours of debugging.  I think we have most of it working now, so I dread the thought of even making minor changes.  Long story short, working on GPP is just not fun anymore.

I understand, what with the constant patches from Squad I can see why this would be a difficult process. I will still continue to play GPP though unless something else of equal/better quality comes along, but considering how high the bar has been set I'm not expecting anything in the short term! You guys have created a superb mod here and you should all be proud of what you've created! :)

3 hours ago, Pleb said:

I understand, what with the constant patches from Squad I can see why this would be a difficult process.

Yep, the constant updates from Squad are a real pain.  I think many of the mod authors are dealing with update fatigue.  I really hope that 1.4.4 is the end of it.

(edit)

I just heard that Squad has announced that 1.4.5 is coming.  Will it ever end?

Edited by OhioBob

30 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I just heard that Squad has announced that 1.4.5 is coming.  Will it ever end.

I'm happy to stay on 1.4.3, I would have stayed on 1.3.1 but once this and the Near Future/SSPX mods were updated to 1.4.x I figured it was time to update. I hope it slows down eventually and people feel happy to continue creating and developing mods for KSP again.

On a side note will post some pics of my new base on Iota later. I always build space stations but never planetary bases so this is a new thing for me!

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Yep, the constant updates from Squad are a real pain.  I think many of the mod authors are dealing with update fatigue.  I really hope that 1.4.4 is the end of it.

(edit)

I just heard that Squad has announced that 1.4.5 is coming.  Will it ever end?

Is it the implication, then, that I should play GPP now instead of waiting?  I was advised not to do so until I had become comfortable with interplanetary transfers under stock (which I still haven't done :blush:).  Is it the intent to maintain, but not improve, GPP for the foreseeable future?

Edited by Brigadier

7 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Is it the implication, then, that I should play GPP now instead of waiting?  I was advised not to do so until I had become comfortable with interplanetary transfers under stock (which I still haven't done :blush:).  Is it the intent to maintain, but not improve, GPP for the foreseeable future?

We intend to continue providing and maintaining GPP for the foreseeable future.  It's not going away, we're just not planning on adding new content.

GPP is for all practical purposes finished.  As long as Squad's updates are just bug fixes, and Kopernicus continues to keep up with new releases, GPP should work with it.  Where things could get messed up is if Squad releases a major update that royally screws up a bunch of mods.  If that were to happen, I can see frustrations boiling over to the point where some modders will say screw it and not update their mods.  We could become frozen at a certain version number.

4 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Is it the implication, then, that I should play GPP now instead of waiting?  I was advised not to do so until I had become comfortable with interplanetary transfers under stock (which I still haven't done :blush:).

Have you tried using Kerbal Alarm Clock and Transfer Window Planner? I use these in order to roughly plan out my window of opportunity to other planets. They also work with planet packs as well, not just Stock, so you can use it with GPP too. It's then just a case of getting your trajectory right and blasting off. Give it a few go's and you'll get the hang of it pretty quick. There's also a ton of videos on YouTube as well that will help with this!

4 minutes ago, Pleb said:

Have you tried using Kerbal Alarm Clock and Transfer Window Planner?

Yes, I use both of those mods but it's not that I'm failing to achieve Duna as I try, I'm failing to try it.  I don't play KSP often/long enough to work up the tech tree and I find myself restarting my career with each major KSP release.  I get stuck doing bizillion Kerbin SOI contracts to farm the science, etc., and never get the missions out to Duna/Eve.  I seriously need to rethink this strategy.:D

16 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Yes, I use both of those mods but it's not that I'm failing to achieve Duna as I try, I'm failing to try it.  I don't play KSP often/long enough to work up the tech tree and I find myself restarting my career with each major KSP release.  I get stuck doing bizillion Kerbin SOI contracts to farm the science, etc., and never get the missions out to Duna/Eve.  I seriously need to rethink this strategy.:D

Just stick with 1.4.3 for now (or whatever version your on) and do all the basic Kerbin/Mun/Minmus stuff. You don't need a high-tech powerful ship to get to Duna, if your craft can fly to the Mun you can fly to Duna. If you're planning on landing on the surface make sure you have parachutes and if you're flying a manned mission make sure you have an Engineer so you can re-pack the parachutes (saves having to have extras on board). Also you will need a bit more fuel than when flying to the Mun but you don't need tons of it.

Once you can do this I would upgrade to GPP. In stock I've actually only been to Duna once and then I went straight over to GPP. It's a bit trickier, as the planets/moons aren't as simply lined up as in stock (much better orbits in GPP) so you have to adjust your trajectories accordingly, but it's not difficult! :D

Or you can create a sandbox save and just try out some techniques. That's what I do.

Just put up some space craft, time warp to the transfer window and try to work the moneuver nodes.

One other thing: you could also use MechJeb as a learning tool. It can plot the interplanetary trajectories for you so you can see how it's done. After a while you find you do the nodes yourself... Or improve on the suggestions of MechJeb.

6 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

One other thing: you could also use MechJeb as a learning tool. It can plot the interplanetary trajectories for you so you can see how it's done. After a while you find you do the nodes yourself... Or improve on the suggestions of MechJeb.

This is a very good tip, I used to do this quite often myself. In fact I still use MechJeb for docking sometimes, as I have tendency to crash into things! :D

So, while looking for a planet pack to start a new MKS colonization based career, i found this mod. The amount of work that went into it seems enormous, given the custom cfgs for every major mod. My congratulations on this masterpiece :D

But as soon as i install GPP, a big issue appears with some vessels. I can't recover them after landing, nor save, go to space centre or even quit the game. Basically everything that includes modifiyng a save file becomes impossible and the only way to exit from this is revert to a previous save or force close the game.

This is my gamedata folder:

whbQBrv.png

I found a way to reliably reproduce this bug with this vessel I built for a test contract. After staging and decoupling i can't recover it anymore.

uoSxnlA.png

My ignorant guess is that debris near the vessel somehow interefere with the saving process, since the issue usually appears in simliar conditions, but I may be completely wrong.

Here is my output log when trying to recover the vessel or quitting, near the end there is an error that I can't find a reason for: link

I first encountered this bug in a mod pack with most of the recommended mods plus the umbra suite and some other addons, but removing every other mod and using a clean ksp install (where recovery worked fine) to only install gpp didn't fix it.

Edited by Standecco

1 hour ago, Standecco said:

I can't recover them after landing, nor save, go to space centre or even quit the game. Basically everything that includes modifiyng a save file becomes impossible and the only way to exit from this is revert to a previous save or force close the game.

This is interesting as i have a similar issue but it's sporadic and I find I just have to keep hitting the recover button. Also affects going into the space centre and quicksaving whilst in flight. I assumed this was to do with me using a combination of mods that are for versions 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 and I'm running version 1.4.3.

45 minutes ago, Pleb said:

This is interesting as i have a similar issue but it's sporadic and I find I just have to keep hitting the recover button. Also affects going into the space centre and quicksaving whilst in flight. I assumed this was to do with me using a combination of mods that are for versions 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 and I'm running version 1.4.3.

I assumed that too, so i started by removing all mods that weren't stricly made for 1.4.3 but that wasn't related i guess :(. I hit the button many many times, but i'll check anyway to see if it works.

To check if our issues are related you could try launching the craft i posted, that made the game break 100% of the time for me

2 hours ago, Standecco said:

To check if our issues are related you could try launching the craft i posted, that made the game break 100% of the time for me

I'm getting the same bug.  But it's not just GPP, I'm getting it with GEP_Primary as well. 

(edit)

Plain Stock seems to be working OK, as well as Stock + GPP/GPP_Secondary, and Stock + GEP.

GPP and GEP_Primary both delete and replaced Kerbin, so maybe that is somehow causing the problem.

(edit 2)

I just did an experiment in which I installed GPP in its entirety, but deleted Gael and kept Kerbin as the homeworld.  In that case the recovery button works fine.  So, yeah, it looks like the problem is occurring only in scenarios where Kerbin is deleted and replaced by something else.

Edited by OhioBob

34 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I just did an experiment in which I installed GPP in its entirety, but deleted Gael and kept Kerbin as the homeworld.  In that case the recovery button works fine.  So, yeah, it looks like the problem is occurring only in scenarios where Kerbin is deleted and replaced by something else.

So this may actually be a Kopernicus issue then rather than a GPP/GEP_Primary specific issue?

1 minute ago, Pleb said:

So this may actually be a Kopernicus issue then rather than a GPP/GEP_Primary specific issue?

Possibly.  I don't think there is anything more I can do on the issue at this time.  I'll consult with the GPP/Kopernicus devs teams to see if we can figure it out.

8 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Possibly.  I don't think there is anything more I can do on the issue at this time.  I'll consult with the GPP/Kopernicus devs teams to see if we can figure it out.

Oh, well. Your answer made me think about kopernicus, and since in the latest version changelog I read something about launch sites, I downgraded to 1.4.3-1. The bug disappeared, so if you want a quick fix, there's that.

The downside is that old launch sites appear on the map (in the original kerbin location) and that my fps seem to be lower, but I think either version can be switched if needed, so I'll keep 1.4.3-1, complete my contract and install 1.4.3-2 again.

P.S is it normal that my fps is really low when playing in gpp? I usually get 60 fps with scatterer and SVE, but here i get 30 fps max with any vessel in any situation (landed, flying, orbiting, etc). I have a pretty decent pc, so that's not the problem.

1 hour ago, Standecco said:

P.S is it normal that my fps is really low when playing in gpp? I usually get 60 fps with scatterer and SVE, but here i get 30 fps max with any vessel in any situation (landed, flying, orbiting, etc). I have a pretty decent pc, so that's not the problem.

I don't have much of an FPS drop but it is a bit more than stock, which is to be expected. I do have OPM and GEP installed as well so my system is massive! I haven't measured the FPS though so I'll have a look next time I play and see. I found that once I removed the USI mods my game ran faster, although now I'm actually building a base part of me wishes I'd kept it! I've had to put the Ground Construction mod in as it's near impossible to get the parts for my base into orbit. Perhaps I'm just trying to do too much at once but it would seem ferrying the pieces in boxes from the GC mod over and then constructing them on Iota is much easier!

Edited by Pleb
Spelling

3 hours ago, Pleb said:

I don't have much of an FPS drop but it is a bit more than stock, which is to be expected. I do have OPM and GEP installed as well so my system is massive! I haven't measured the FPS though so I'll have a look next time I play and see. I found that once I removed the USI mods my game ran faster, although now I'm actually building a base part of me wishes I'd kept it! I've had to put the Ground Construction mod in as it's near impossible to get the parts for my base into orbit. Perhaps I'm just trying to do too much at once but it would seem ferrying the pieces in boxes from the GC mod over and then constructing them on Iota is much easier!

I removed the USI mods while testing to identify the recover bug, but I didn't notice much of a change; maybe I'll try reinstalling my visual mods.

For bases you can try angel125's mods, they vaguely resemble USI but are a bit simpler and with a different aestethic and philosophy, but equally enjoyable.

I'm using extraplanetary launchpads for constructing things, but since my pack is already quite crowded I may switch to ground construction. Have you tried both?