[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

I do have one more question. I'm really having trouble finding a contract pack that works well with GPP. Any suggestions? Or is the reality as barren as I think it is? I can always make up my own missions and cheat the rewards into play. But that's just not quite the same.

2 hours ago, Crixomix said:

I do have one more question. I'm really having trouble finding a contract pack that works well with GPP. Any suggestions? Or is the reality as barren as I think it is? I can always make up my own missions and cheat the rewards into play. But that's just not quite the same.

Depends on what you are interested in...

Fiel Research will create contracts for every celestial body loaded to the game, so it should work fine. Something similar apllies to Bases and Stations Reborn since it will create contracts for existing bases and stations. Kerbal Acadamy would work as well but it is not working as intended and under development so I would no recommend to use it. Tourism Plus is listed as compatible with planet packs as well.

There are probably more, a good place to look for would be the second post in the Contract Configurator thread. It contains a list of compatible packs and if you look into the threads, you should find informations about compatibility with planet packs.

Spoiler

I'm having the exact same issue as that guy from a few pages ago - KSP freezes at SOI change (tried Iota and Ceti), RAM usage rapidly increases, and then KSP crashes when RAM runs out. Increasing the PQ Cache to infinity seems to be the culprit:

[LOG 14:40:48.755] setting new dominant body: Iota
FlightGlobals.mainBody: Iota
[LOG 14:40:48.757] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[WRN 14:40:48.795] Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Iota'
[LOG 14:40:48.929] PQSCache: Increased PQ Cache by 256 to 9472
[LOG 14:40:48.980] PQSCache: Increased PQ Cache by 256 to 9728
[LOG 14:40:49.032] PQSCache: Increased PQ Cache by 256 to 9984
[LOG 14:40:49.083] PQSCache: Increased PQ Cache by 256 to 10240

'Increased PQ Cache' carries on to infinity.

Problem is, he only describes the fix as "i had to something to do with GPP_Default in the settings.cfg" - I tried what he seems to be referring to, deleting settings.cfg and terraindetailpreset.cfg, but that had no effect - I'm not sure what 'something' might be referring to other than that. All of this is after a completely clean reinstall - Uninstalled all mods, uninstalled KSP via steam, deleted any leftover folders, installed KSP via steam, reinstalled some mods via CKAN.

Here's the log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gtxk6tJBUJ1EP_Us3s_FLnDtv0Ocam6J/view?usp=sharing

Anyone know what might be causing this?

I was having trouble with SOI changes - uninstalling the physics range extender fixed it, like Akke's post above.

Edited by Swift
Sorted

On 9/1/2018 at 11:52 AM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Depends on what you are interested in...

Fiel Research will create contracts for every celestial body loaded to the game, so it should work fine. Something similar apllies to Bases and Stations Reborn since it will create contracts for existing bases and stations. Kerbal Acadamy would work as well but it is not working as intended and under development so I would no recommend to use it. Tourism Plus is listed as compatible with planet packs as well.

There are probably more, a good place to look for would be the second post in the Contract Configurator thread. It contains a list of compatible packs and if you look into the threads, you should find informations about compatibility with planet packs.

Good answer, and I'll add one more for @Crixomix - once I started using the mod Strategia I really stopped being concerned with more stock-style contracts.  You can use it to power your entire career if you set your rewards modifiers right.  Check it out

1 hour ago, se1rahc said:

With the removal of Lili's orbit line, I can't seem to be targetting it (I can still focus on it). That makes doing an intercept Hohmann transfer really hard. Am I missing something? Thank you.

We'll have to look into that.  Was not aware that removing the orbit line could have the side effect of not being able to target the moon.  We might have to consider putting the orbit line back, or we leave it as is.  Being difficult just makes it more of a challenge, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm using SD and ReScale to create a 2.5x system. Now the clocks aren't matching in various places. Kronometer fixes some mod's clocks, but not others. This is an ongoing issue and there's no sign it will be fixed anytime soon, so I'm looking for a different way to sync all the clocks.

What if I just changed Gael's day length in SD either back to 6 hours or up to 24 hours so the game could use one of it's standard time settings? Would I break anything or would the planet just spin faster/slower?

If this would work, how long should I set the day for? I can't remember if SD wants Sidereal Day length or actual rotational day length. [The answer is you use actual day length in seconds. The game calculates Sidereal day automatically.]

Thanks!

EDIT: Answered some of my own questions through experimentation

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

I'm using SD and ReScale to create a 2.5x system. Now the clocks aren't matching in various places. Kronometer fixes some mod's clocks, but not others. This is an ongoing issue and there's no sign it will be fixed anytime soon, so I'm looking for a different way to sync all the clocks.

What if I just changed Gael's day length in SD either back to 6 hours or up to 24 hours so the game could use one of it's standard time settings? Would I break anything or would the planet just spin faster/slower?

If this would work, how long should I set the day for? I can't remember if SD wants Sidereal Day length or actual rotational day length. [The answer is you use actual day length in seconds. The game calculates Sidereal day automatically.]

Thanks!

EDIT: Answered some of my own questions through experimentation

Changing Gael (Kerbin) back to a 6-hour day shouldn't break anything.  The easiest way is probably to open the file 2.5xKSP.cfg, find the following code, and change the dayLengthMultiplier to 1.

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim,GPP]
{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@dayLengthMultiplier = 1.66666666666667
			@landscape = 0.58
		}
	}
}

As far as whether the rotation period is sidereal day or solar day, it's different depending on the body.  For the home world, the rotation period used in the cfgs is the length of the solar day, from which KSP computes the sidereal day.  For all other bodies, the period is the length of the sidereal day.

5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Changing Gael (Kerbin) back to a 6-hour day shouldn't break anything.  The easiest way is probably to open the file 2.5xKSP.cfg, find the following code, and change the dayLengthMultiplier to 1.

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim,GPP]
{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@dayLengthMultiplier = 1.66666666666667
			@landscape = 0.58
		}
	}
}

As far as whether the rotation period is sidereal day or solar day, it's different depending on the body.  For the home world, the rotation period used in the cfgs is the length of the solar day, from which KSP computes the sidereal day.  For all other bodies, the period is the length of the sidereal day.

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of that might be (slightly) impacted would be Launch DV because of different initial rotation speed of the planet

Makes me wonder...could you increase rotational speed high enough that centrifugal force would exceed gravity?

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Makes me wonder...could you increase rotational speed high enough that centrifugal force would exceed gravity?

I don't know if such a planet could exist in real life, but in theory, yes, it's possible.  We actually had this issue with Lili, were players couldn't land at the equator because centrifugal force exceeded surface gravity.

To find where the two forces balance we just set them equal to one another,

v^2 / r = go

We know go and r, so we solve for v, from which we can compute the rotational period.  For Gael at 2.5x, the rotational period would have to be less than about 41 minutes.

3 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I don't know if such a planet could exist in real life, but in theory, yes, it's possible.  We actually had this issue with Lili, were players couldn't land at the equator because centrifugal force exceeded surface gravity.

To find where the two forces balance we just set them equal to one another,

v^2 / r = go

We know go and r, so we solve for v, from which we can compute the rotational period.  For Gael at 2.5x, the rotational period would have to be less than about 41 minutes.

Back to the original question..I just realized.... won't I have to change the year length too if I want the stock clock to be accurate?

4 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Back to the original question..I just realized.... won't I have to change the year length too if I want the stock clock to be accurate?

Just don't install Kronometer and you'll have a clock/calendar with 6-hour days and 426 days per year.  The game clock will then measure time in the same units as mods like KAC and Transfer Window Planner.

By changing the dayLengthMultiplier you can reset Gael to have a solar day of 6 hours.  However, Gael's year at 2.5x will not be 426 days.  Measured in 6-hour days, its year will be 673.333 days.  There's nothing you can do to change that.  At 2.5x, Gael takes longer to orbit the sun than it does at 1x, and that's just the way it is.

5 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Just don't install Kronometer and you'll have a clock/calendar with 6-hour days and 426 days per year.  The game clock will then measure time in the same units as mods like KAC and Transfer Window Planner.

By changing the dayLengthMultiplier you can reset Gael to have a solar day of 6 hours.  However, Gael's year at 2.5x will not be 426 days.  Measured in 6-hour days, its year will be 673.333 days.  There's nothing you can do to change that.  At 2.5x, Gael takes longer to orbit the sun than it does at 1x, and that's just the way it is.

Thanks for the reply...Yea....darn...thought I'd solved the problem with scaling and KAC / TWP....I guess I'll keep dealing with clocks that don't agree...

17 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Thanks for the reply...Yea....darn...thought I'd solved the problem with scaling and KAC / TWP....I guess I'll keep dealing with clocks that don't agree...

I ran into the same type of issue recently while playing GEP_Primary.  I ended up uninstalling Kronometer.  This meant the clock wasn't in sync with the home world's actual day and year, but at least the game clock matched the readouts of KAC and TWP.  I found the latter to be most important for game play.  It was almost unplayable to have the game clock using one method of timekeeping, and KAC/TWP using another method.

(edit)  The best solution obviously is to fix KAC and TWP to be compatible with Kronometer.  But as you say, there's no sign that's going to happen anytime soon.

Edited by OhioBob

16 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I ran into the same type of issue recently while playing GEP_Primary.  I ended up uninstalling Kronometer.  This meant the clock wasn't in sync with the home world's actual day and year, but at least the game clock matched the readouts of KAC and TWP.  I found the latter to be most important for game play.  It was almost unplayable to have the game clock using one method of timekeeping, and KAC/TWP using another method.

(edit)  The best solution obviously is to fix KAC and TWP to be compatible with Kronometer.  But as you say, there's no sign that's going to happen anytime soon.

Removing Kronometer worked great! Thanks for the advice.

13 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Removing Kronometer worked great! Thanks for the advice.

It's a shame these mods don't play nicely together.  I really like what Kronometer does, but I just rely too much an KAC and TWP that I can't use it.  It saddens me.

I'm seeing add odd effect on Iota that may be related to ReScale 2.5x - which I know isn't technically 1.4.5 compatible, so hoping others might be seeing or have seen this too

There's a ghost image that looks like a second texture layer that appears on the horizon. Looking straight down I don't see it, but looking at the horizon I do. Also, it's not visible below 25Km. It seems to appear right when I hit 25Km. 

Any idea what may be causing that? 

It's hard to screen capture, but it's really obvious when in motion. It looks like a cloud layer at first, but then you find what looks like a ghost mountain or other feature that rises above that. you can see it on the right side of this pic on the horizon...

Cm41CVF.png

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

There's a ghost image that looks like a second texture layer that appears on the horizon. Looking straight down I don't see it, but looking at the horizon I do. Also, it's not visible below 25Km. It seems to appear right when I hit 25Km. 

Any idea what may be causing that? 

Try deleting your cache.  Go to the folder GameData/GPP/Cache/ and delete all the .bin files.  When you restart KSP, Kopernicus will recreate all those files.  I'm not sure that's your problem but it's a good place to start.

45 minutes ago, Aaron_Gyles said:

I downloaded it and installed it correctly but every time i open ksp it says Kopernicus was not able to load the custom planetary system due to an exception in the loading progress.

Then you must not have installed it correctly.  Kopernicus usually says that when it can find something, such as textures missing or being in the wrong place.  Check again, you did something wrong.  If you need any help beyond that, you're going to have to provide more information.

On 9/7/2018 at 4:47 PM, OhioBob said:

Try deleting your cache.  Go to the folder GameData/GPP/Cache/ and delete all the .bin files.  When you restart KSP, Kopernicus will recreate all those files.  I'm not sure that's your problem but it's a good place to start.

Thanks, that didn't work...I'll try reinstalling I guess..