[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

I'm running into two little issues with GPP...

1) I'm using GPP_Secondary so I don't want my Kerbals to be named 'Gaelan' and I wrote a MM patch to modify the Renamer.cfg:

Spoiler

@KERBALRENAMER
{
  @preserveOriginals = true

@Culture[*],*
  {
    @LASTNAME1,*
    {
      @key = Kerman
    }
  }
}

This works fine so far but after starting a new game, the first Kerbals in the roster will still be named 'Gaelan':

Spoiler

NgxG9vY.png?1

Any ideas how to rename them as well? (I know, I can rename them by editing the savefile but I wonder if there is a 'clean' solution fort this.)

2) Apparently, it is possible to increase the 'Terrain quality' slider in the graphics settings menu beyond the usual limit. Stock settings are 'Low', 'Default' and 'High' but with GPP installed I can slide it even 2 steps further (it keeps saying 'High') but this will result in a 'Array index is out of range' exception:

Spoiler

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
  at KSP.UI.Screens.Settings.Controls.SettingsTerrainDetail.OnSliderValueChange (Single newValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`1[System.Single].Invoke (Single args0) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1[System.Single].Invoke (Single arg0) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Slider.Set (Single input, Boolean sendCallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Slider.Set (Single input) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Slider.set_value (Single value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Slider.set_normalizedValue (Single value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Slider.UpdateDrag (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData, UnityEngine.Camera cam) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Slider.OnDrag (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IDragHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IDragHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerInputModule:ProcessDrag(PointerEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Tested on a fresh KSP 1.4.5 install, with GPP, GPP_Seconday + dependencies installed through CKAN, no other mods.
Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw720ldecxrzvut/output_log (GPP).txt?dl=0

edit: I just noticed that after deleting the settings.cfg of KSP, I'll no longer get an 'Array index out of range' exception, but instead, KSP will display #LOC_GPP_TerrainDetailsPreset_Low/Default/High' in the settings menu:

Spoiler

BxPNIQI.png

Probably something messed up the settings file after installing, uninstalling and reinstalling GPP for testing purposes...

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

On 9/8/2018 at 6:37 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

I'm running into two little issues with GPP...

1) I'm using GPP_Secondary so I don't want my Kerbals to be named 'Gaelan' and I wrote a MM patch to modify the Renamer.cfg:

You can edit the renamer file to add / remove whatever names you want. I have about a dozen kerbalized last names in mine.

8 hours ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

Why not just remove the Renamer folder

I don't like to remove or edit stuff which originally belongs to a mod. This will usually cause some troubles if the mod get an update or I have to reinstall the game for some reason and I forget to remove/edit the same stuff as before. Using a self-written MM patch to edit configs will prevent most troubles during an update and can be copied to any other install, so that's the way I like to go. If it is not possible, well...I have no other choice.

7 hours ago, Tyko said:

You can edit the renamer file to add / remove whatever names you want. I have about a dozen kerbalized last names in mine.

That's what my MM patch does. It changes the lastname to 'Kerman' but it does not affect the very first Kerbals. Jeb, Bill, Bob, Val and the first 6 Kerbals which can be hired are still named 'Gaelan', every other Kerbal will be named 'Kerman'.

6 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I don't like to remove or edit stuff which originally belongs to a mod. This will usually cause some troubles if the mod get an update or I have to reinstall the game for some reason and I forget to remove/edit the same stuff as before. Using a self-written MM patch to edit configs will prevent most troubles during an update and can be copied to any other install, so that's the way I like to go. If it is not possible, well...I have no other choice.

That's what my MM patch does. It changes the lastname to 'Kerman' but it does not affect the very first Kerbals. Jeb, Bill, Bob, Val and the first 6 Kerbals which can be hired are still named 'Gaelan', every other Kerbal will be named 'Kerman'.

The starting 4 are hard coded. You would need to remove the plugin to revert back default names. Or edit your save, like you said.

Edited by Galileo

12 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I don't like to remove or edit stuff which originally belongs to a mod. This will usually cause some troubles if the mod get an update or I have to reinstall the game for some reason and I forget to remove/edit the same stuff as before.

You can easily make adjustments to the Renamer mod without it affecting GPP. I use a custom one I've edited so it renames all the kerbals to use human English/American names including the default ones, plus it gives the starting 6 (like in GPP) randomised stats. I've also made it be able to be called by other mods and have modded Contract Configurator and TRP Hire to use the Renamer mod instead of using the stock method of naming.

9 hours ago, eberkain said:

Is it possible to do the backwards situations like in stock?   Landed at water, Splashed at mountains, etc...

That’s a thing? And I dunno. 

why would anyone want that, though?

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

That’s a thing? And I dunno. 

why would anyone want that, though?

Just trying to be a completionist.  &)  Planning on tackling Gael science collection this weekend and was thinking about what I needed to do.     

15 hours ago, eberkain said:

Is it possible to do the backwards situations like in stock?   Landed at water, Splashed at mountains, etc...

I hope the GPP team got their biome maps sorted so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Some context: In Stock KSP one can be landed or splashed down at Kerbin's Shores. This also seems to happen at Eve's Shallows. This is because the biome boundary does not end at the ocean's edge. This can offer bonus science for anyone paying attention because Splashed and Landed are different situations, granting twice the science for those biomes.

3 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I hope the GPP team got their biome maps sorted so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Some context: In Stock KSP one can be landed or splashed down at Kerbin's Shores. This also seems to happen at Eve's Shallows. This is because the biome boundary does not end at the ocean's edge. This can offer bonus science for anyone paying attention because Splashed and Landed are different situations, granting twice the science for those biomes.

There's no way to make a biome end precisely at the ocean's edge.  The maps just don't have the resolution to do that.  The best that anyone can do is have the shoreline snake its way through the shore biome, so that the biome extends a little ways inland and a little ways out to sea.

Having both landed and splashed conditions within the shore biome really isn't all that bad.  We can think of "shore" simply as a narrow strip of land having edges that straddle the shoreline.  What is probably worse is to have landed/water or splashed/lowlands.  That's what could happen if the shore biome is made too narrow to where it doesn't complete contain the shoreline.

(edit)

I suspect that GPP is probably not very good in regard to its shore biomes.  First, I believe the shore biomes were made only one pixel wide, which is probably not enough to assure that the shoreline passes though it.  It's also possible that PQSmod changes have been made since the biome maps were completed.  Changing PQSmods could alter the location of shoreline and push it outside the area defined in the biome maps.

My personal opinion is that all the shore biomes in GPP should be redone, but that's probably not likely to happen.  I doubt anyone on the team has the motivation to do it.

Edited by OhioBob

13 hours ago, OhioBob said:

There's no way to make a biome end precisely at the ocean's edge.  The maps just don't have the resolution to do that.  The best that anyone can do is have the shoreline snake its way through the shore biome, so that the biome extends a little ways inland and a little ways out to sea.

Having both landed and splashed conditions within the shore biome really isn't all that bad.  We can think of "shore" simply as a narrow strip of land having edges that straddle the shoreline.  What is probably worse is to have landed/water or splashed/lowlands.  That's what could happen if the shore biome is made too narrow to where it doesn't complete contain the shoreline.

(edit)

I suspect that GPP is probably not very good in regard to its shore biomes.  First, I believe the shore biomes were made only one pixel wide, which is probably not enough to assure that the shoreline passes though it.  It's also possible that PQSmod changes have been made since the biome maps were completed.  Changing PQSmods could alter the location of shoreline and push it outside the area defined in the biome maps.

My personal opinion is that all the shore biomes in GPP should be redone, but that's probably not likely to happen.  I doubt anyone on the team has the motivation to do it.

I think the overlapping areas are fine. I think if them as tidal or marshy areas which offer very different biospheres than either the nearby water or land. Plus Jeb loves clam bakes  :) 

Edited by Tyko

On 7/22/2018 at 3:55 AM, kraden said:

I'll join you!  I'm on vacation though, so it may be a week.

I can confirm the Mission Builder does work with the Galileo Planet Pack.

I just installed it on a separate saved install of KSP so I have both the stock system and this.  Thanks to @James Kerman for assistance with that.

Anyway, I'm off exploring!

Spoiler

VICiqbW.png

pNHPPzG.png

Edited by Klapaucius

Hey. I'm keen on unlocking all the extra bases through funds and discovery in career mode, but as I looked through the various configs affecting KK, I realized I had no idea what I would need to change in order to not have everything unlocked and payed for by default. Any tips on what settings I should change?

Oh, and thank you for the great planet pack, I always enjoy going back to Gael!

3 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

And of course, the GSC++ is glitchy when using Rescale, as KKtoSD does not seem to work in the latest version of KSP...

Use KSC Switcher instead. Don't install KK. You do need to pull the old GPP_LaunchSites.cfg from an earlier version of GPP. I think it was the 1.3.1 compatible version.

You lose the KK fancy launch sites, but they all work rescaled again.

Custom sciencedefs not working

I first discovered this problem when doing a career. Instead of showing the custom Sciencedef, it uses Kerbin's sciencedef. Iota and Ceti's sciencedef do work but the other planets? It just shows the boring, unimaginative and ununique "you record the crew's assessment of the situation."

any fixes would be helpful.

13 minutes ago, Darkspace said:

Custom sciencedefs not working

I first discovered this problem when doing a career. Instead of showing the custom Sciencedef, it uses Kerbin's sciencedef. Iota and Ceti's sciencedef do work but the other planets? It just shows the boring, unimaginative and ununique "you record the crew's assessment of the situation."

any fixes would be helpful.

Very little in GPP has had custom science definitions written for it.  I think a couple people started working on it but gave up as soon as they realized how much work it was going to be.

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Very little in GPP has had custom science definitions written for it.  I think a couple people started working on it but gave up as soon as they realized how much work it was going to be.

It was once working as far as i remember. The custom sciencedef were working. But for some reason, it randomly stopped working.

Once again, Any fixes would be helpful.

Edited by Darkspace

8 hours ago, Darkspace said:

It was once working as far as i remember. The custom sciencedef were working. But for some reason, it randomly stopped working.

Looking at the configs, the only bodies for which I see custom science definitions are Gael, Iota and Ceti, and then only for surface sample, crew report, EVA report, and mystery goo.  If those aren't working, then there's a problem.  (It's possible the Gael ones might have to be renamed Kerbin.)  Otherwise the lack of custom science defs is normal behavior.  As far as I know, there has never been custom defs for anything outside the Gael system.