[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

Bobert Gaelan "I can't be positive without my slide rule, but I believe our reentry angle is a bit too steep. Who ran the atmosphere calculations anyway??"

Galileo Gaelan "That would be @OhioBob over at the KSC"

Spoiler. Bob Gaelan is OhioBob.

17 hours ago, buzuc said:

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a version of protractor for GPP? I'm trying to plan a trip outside of gael but I don't want to play with nodes for hours to get a window. And the mechjeb's transfer to another planet is not user friendly enough ;)

What I liked with protractor was the ability to compute all the departure windows and integrate them in alarm clock with one click.

Plus the fact that you didn't need to launch a ship to get access to the calculator.

Have you tried the mod as it is? (The one for KSP 1.3.1 by Z-Key Aerospace.) It may work just fine with planet mods.

If it doesn't work, consider trying Astrogator. It's partially derived from KAC and contains its own alarm list.

I'm having the exact same issue on my fresh start game.  It continuously kidnaps the Bob, Bill, Jeb, and Valentina Gaelan kerbals and makes me take them on tourist runs or rescue them and add them again to my roster.  They'll stay there for a few days, and then when a new string of contracts is generated, they get kidnapped again. 

I did notice something funny in that in the contracts it will say those 4 kerbals' full names (Jebediah Gaelan, for example) where for everyone else that's generated normally it just uses their first name.  May have something to do with some kind of hard-wiring.

I tried a workaround by messing with the renaming file and save file to switch those 4 to being "Kerman" (doing a full find and replace), but it simply then generates 4 new Bill/Bob/Jeb/Valentina Gaelans and throws them in the mix.  Now all 8 of them are in the cycle of getting randomly kidnapped and turned into tourists or forcibly marooned in space to be rescued again.  The game keeps getting more and more confused (having 2 kerbals with the same first name is bad, mmmkay?) when one of them is kidnapped.

I think I just need to figure out who to kill to stop the madness.  I actually like having the dev kerbals in the game, but I also like the original 4.

----

Ok, didn't take long, but killing off the doppelgangers seems to have worked.  I got a few black marks from pushing tourists and rescuees out of airlocks and into the atmosphere naked, but so far so good.  The contractors started generating other random kerbals to be rescued now.

Edited by PolecatEZ

@Galileo or @Poodmund, do higher res versions of planet textures exist? I loaded a 3.2x game and not surprisingly the planets are looking a bit pixely...Just wondering if you have some higher res versions that might have been compressed to save memory or something? I've got 32G of RAM and a pretty wicked gfx card, so if they did exist I might be able to use them.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

@Galileo or @Poodmund, do higher res versions of planet textures exist? I loaded a 3.2x game and not surprisingly the planets are looking a bit pixely...Just wondering if you have some higher res versions that might have been compressed to save memory or something? I've got 32G of RAM and a pretty wicked gfx card, so if they did exist I might be able to use them.

I don't believe so.  I'm pretty certain Galileo did everything in 4k only.

First of all thanks for making this great mod. Also I do not know if this is the correct place to ask this question.
Haven't played KSP in a long time and i've been trying to get GPP working again(have installed it before somewhere January 2017).
I get random crashes sometimes  when retrieving a vessel. I've tried to read the output_log myself and trace the problem.
I use recommended mods from the list in the first page. 

Any help,tips or insight tracing  these crashes would be greatly appriciated.

Log files:

error.log

output_log

Thank you once again

6 hours ago, kerbalmckerbalface said:

Any help,tips or insight tracing  these crashes would be greatly appriciated.

It sounds like it might be a known bug related to deletion of the extra launch sites added by the Making History DLC.  Try this and see if it fixes it,

Find the file, GameData/GPP/GPP_Planets/Gael_A.cfg, and delete the following line:

removeLaunchSites = Desert_Launch_Site, Desert_Airfield, Desert_GroundObjects, Woomerang_GroundObjects

15 hours ago, OhioBob said:

It sounds like it might be a known bug related to deletion of the extra launch sites added by the Making History DLC.  Try this and see if it fixes it,

Find the file, GameData/GPP/GPP_Planets/Gael_A.cfg, and delete the following line:

removeLaunchSites = Desert_Launch_Site, Desert_Airfield, Desert_GroundObjects, Woomerang_GroundObjects

Hey @OhioBob, thanks for taking the time to help me. 
I have deleted the specified line. After doing so I have added the high-res clouds (they look awesome!). 
Unfortunately i'm still getting a crash. Could it be an issue with running too many mods? 

error log

output_log

I do not have the DLC and my pc has the following specs:

16gb ram

i7 4790k

GTX1060

SSD

Thanks once again!

@kerbalmckerbalface, I don't know what could be causing it.  I recommend starting over with a fresh KSP installation.  Then install just GPP and its essential mods.  Test it and see what happens.  If all is good, then start adding back your other mods incrementally, testing periodically to make sure it's still working.  If at some point it breaks, then you can isolate what mod triggered the problem.

52 minutes ago, Unicatcorn said:

I can't get it to work. It shows the loading new loading screen and tips but crashes when it is done loading. I'm running the latest version of ksp and the planet pack.

You were given instructions to follow in the first planet mod thread you went to. No one can help you until you provide something for us to examine.

I can assume you did not install ModularFlightIntegrator. (It's in the Kopernicus download and is NOT optional.)

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You were given instructions to follow in the first planet mod thread you went to. No one can help you until you provide something for us to examine.

I can assume you did not install ModularFlightIntegrator. (It's in the Kopernicus download and is NOT optional.)

My guess is that they aren’t running the x64 version of KSP. 

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@kerbalmckerbalface, I don't know what could be causing it.  I recommend starting over with a fresh KSP installation.  Then install just GPP and its essential mods.  Test it and see what happens.  If all is good, then start adding back your other mods incrementally, testing periodically to make sure it's still working.  If at some point it breaks, then you can isolate what mod triggered the problem.

Thanks for the effort, it is much appriciated!

@JadeOfMaar Just out of curiosity, are all the recommended mods from the main page up to date for the latest gpp version(last edit is in May).

Also does anyone have a decent suggestion for a mod list for a returning player?

Thank you all once again

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

My guess is that they aren’t running the x64 version of KSP. 

You can tell from the logs whether the 32bit or 64bit client is being used: 

[KSP Version]: 1.4.5.2243 (WindowsPlayer x64) (x64) en-us ==============================

Also @kerbalmckerbalface your Output log shows that you were currently going from the SpaceCenter to the Editor when the game crashed as opposed to during the game loading screens as you said above. Please note that with a lot of mods, quickly changing scene right after a previous scene change is known to cause crashes... for reasons. 

4 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

You can tell from the logs whether the 32bit or 64bit client is being used: 

[KSP Version]: 1.4.5.2243 (WindowsPlayer x64) (x64) en-us ==============================

Also @kerbalmckerbalface your Output log shows that you were currently going from the SpaceCenter to the Editor when the game crashed as opposed to during the game loading screens as you said above. Please note that with a lot of mods, quickly changing scene right after a previous scene change is known to cause crashes... for reasons. 

My bad, I should've noted that the crash changed from flight -> spacecenter to spacecenter -> editor.

Thanks for the insight. Is there anything else i should keep in mind with ksp nowadays? Or just take it slow and I'm good?

The mods in the recommended mod list all work fine, yes. Except maybe the skybox stuff (and that's if you use Sigma Replacements and not Texture Replacer) and Sunflares of Maar for GPP.

6 hours ago, kerbalmckerbalface said:

Also does anyone have a decent suggestion for a mod list for a returning player?

Gameplay and visual mods

• Kerbal Engineer Redux (or Basic dV + Basic Orbit but not both).
  • All of DMagic's mods, really.
  • SCANsat (a DMagic mod) and Waypoint Manager. A very powerful combination.
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock.
  • Any one visual mod that adds clouds and auroras, but no more than one as that voids warranties.
    • Spectra, Stock Visual Enhancements, Astronomer's Visual Pack Repacked.
    • If you're using GPP, none of these apply. GPP contains its own visuals.
  • scatterer if you like visuals more than frame rate.
  • Flare Replacer + Better Looking Oceans if you don't like scatterer.
  • Ship Manifest which lets you easily manage crew and resources on a ship.
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DPAI) which provides a large UI window for docking; or Navball Docking Alignment Indicator which merely adds a marker to the navball and shows docking port orientation.
  • TakeCommand - spawn kerbals in command seats; KSP 1.5 makes this obsolete.
  • Contract Configurator because the stock contract system is horse mess.
  • Play Your Way - make career mode contract-less, pay you for science, etc.
  • Ship Effects Continued for IVA immersion.
  • Reentry Particle Effects.
  • Kerbal Konstructs + KerbinSide Remastered for new places to go to and unlock on Kerbin, especially if... see Airplane Plus.
    • Do not use any Kerbal Konstructs mods with GPP. Gael is not Kerbin. So everything will spawn incorrectly.
    • Install just Kerbal Konstructs, however, and you get KSC++ for GPP and extra anomalies here and there...
  • Strategia - makes career mode and contracts more interesting and less linear.

Part mods

• Airplane Plus if you really like airplanes and you aren't going to space anytime soon.
  • Bluedog Design Bureau if you like replica rockets.
  • Tundra Exploration if you want to ride the Elon Musk hype train.
  • Universal Storage II if you like the ability to fit science, other utilities, life support and payloads into wedges and if you like animated container devices.
  • Near Future Technologies (a suite) if you like: station building, fancy LKO craft, solar panels, nuclear reactors, options for ion propulsion, engines for foreign atmo, heavy lifters.
  • Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux if you really like (non-replica) station parts. Made by Nertea alongside Near Future Tech.
  • Mk2 or Mk3 Expansion for plane parts you never knew you needed.
  • Ven's Stock Part Revamp because stock parts are an eye-soar and KSP 1.5 is not doing an entire part revamp (as far as anyone knows right now).

Science mods

• DMagic Orbital Science - lots of science parts.
  • Science Relay - transmit science between vessels instead of just to the KSC.
  • Station Science - lots of science but also adds the mechanic of investing time and waiting for the result. More realistic and less of the stock mechanic of spamming parts and just hitting 'Run Experiment' and it's done.
  • ResearchBodies - makes you need to launch a telescope and find/unlock most of the planets.
  • Surface Experiment Pack - science that you unpack on a moon, ASSEMBLE it (using KAS), then run it (like the pros do) then pack it back away and move on.
Edited by JadeOfMaar

12 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The mods in the recommended mod list all work fine, yes. Except maybe the skybox stuff (and that's if you use Sigma Replacements and not Texture Replacer) and Sunflares of Maar for GPP.

Gameplay and visual mods

• Kerbal Engineer Redux (or Basic dV + Basic Orbit but not both).
  • All of DMagic's mods, really.
  • SCANsat (a DMagic mod) and Waypoint Manager. A very powerful combination.
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock.
  • Any one visual mod that adds clouds and auroras, but no more than one as that voids warranties.
    • Spectra, Stock Visual Enhancements, Astronomer's Visual Pack Repacked.
    • If you're using GPP, none of these apply. GPP contains its own visuals.
  • scatterer if you like visuals more than frame rate.
  • Flare Replacer + Better Looking Oceans if you don't like scatterer.
  • Ship Manifest which lets you easily manage crew and resources on a ship.
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DPAI) which provides a large UI window for docking; or Navball Docking Alignment Indicator which merely adds a marker to the navball and shows docking port orientation.
  • TakeCommand - spawn kerbals in command seats; KSP 1.5 makes this obsolete.
  • Contract Configurator because the stock contract system is horse mess.
  • Play Your Way - make career mode contract-less, pay you for science, etc.
  • Ship Effects Continued for IVA immersion.
  • Reentry Particle Effects.
  • Kerbal Konstructs + KerbinSide Remastered for new places to go to and unlock on Kerbin, especially if... see Airplane Plus.
    • Do not use any Kerbal Konstructs mods with GPP. Gael is not Kerbin. So everything will spawn incorrectly.
    • Install just Kerbal Konstructs, however, and you get KSC++ for GPP and extra anomalies here and there...
  • Strategia - makes career mode and contracts more interesting and less linear.

Part mods

• Airplane Plus if you really like airplanes and you aren't going to space anytime soon.
  • Bluedog Design Bureau if you like replica rockets.
  • Tundra Exploration if you want to ride the Elon Musk hype train.
  • Universal Storage II if you like the ability to fit science, other utilities, life support and payloads into wedges and if you like animated container devices.
  • Near Future Technologies (a suite) if you like: station building, fancy LKO craft, solar panels, nuclear reactors, options for ion propulsion, engines for foreign atmo, heavy lifters.
  • Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux if you really like (non-replica) station parts. Made by Nertea alongside Near Future Tech.
  • Mk2 or Mk3 Expansion for plane parts you never knew you needed.
  • Ven's Stock Part Revamp because stock parts are an eye-soar and KSP 1.5 is not doing an entire part revamp (as far as anyone knows right now).

Science mods

• DMagic Orbital Science - lots of science parts.
  • Science Relay - transmit science between vessels instead of just to the KSC.
  • Station Science - lots of science but also adds the mechanic of investing time and waiting for the result. More realistic and less of the stock mechanic of spamming parts and just hitting 'Run Experiment' and it's done.
  • ResearchBodies - makes you need to launch a telescope and find/unlock most of the planets.
  • Surface Experiment Pack - science that you unpack on a moon, ASSEMBLE it (using KAS), then run it (like the pros do) then pack it back away and move on.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this list! Last question, would you recommend USI for bases and life support?

2 hours ago, NHunter said:

Speaking of which, how can I safely remove trees from around GSC? They don't look good enough in my game to justify their existence.

Just for clarification, “scatterer” is not the same as “scatter” . I know you were referring to frame rate more than likely, I just don’t want others to not connect the dots lol.

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Unicatcorn said:

How do I make sure I am running 64 bit ksp. I will go find

my logs

You make sure you're executing the KSP_x64.exe not the KSP.exe.  They're both in the same install directory.  If you still not sure, check the output_log.txt file for the line

It should be no further than 100 lines down from the start.  Your KSP version number may vary but the "x64" tells you you're running the 64-bit version.