[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

22 hours ago, darwinpatrick said:

Hey, so I've started a new career save (1.4.5) and just realized after my first Tellumo orbiter that Lili's orbit line was removed. I think this is an older change. This means I can no longer target it and effectively reach it- what was the reason for this change? It's kind of annoying especially as how I have a Lili mission in the works and want to be able to get there.

We removed it only because it was an eyesore that ruined the view of Tellumo's rings when in the Tracking Station or Map View.  Didn't realize Lili wouldn't be able to be targeted.  We might have to undo it.  In the meantime, if you want the orbit line body icon back, find the following file,

GameData/GPP/GPP_Planets/Lili.cfg

Within the file, find the following code and delete the two lines line in red.

Orbit
        {
            referenceBody = Tellumo
            color = 0.5,1.0,1.0,1.0
            inclination = 0
            eccentricity = 0
            semiMajorAxis = 1455000
            longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
            meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
            epoch = 0
            icon = 0
            mode = 0
        }

BTW, not being able to target Lili doesn't mean you can't effectively reach it, it just means you don't have some of the usual tools to help you.

Edited by OhioBob

11 hours ago, darwinpatrick said:

Hey, so I've started a new career save (1.4.5) and just realized after my first Tellumo orbiter that Lili's orbit line was removed. I think this is an older change. This means I can no longer target it and effectively reach it- what was the reason for this change? It's kind of annoying especially as how I have a Lili mission in the works and want to be able to get there.

11 hours ago, OhioBob said:

We removed it only because it was an eyesore that ruined the view of Tellumo's rings when in the Tracking Station or Map View.  Didn't realize Lili wouldn't be able to be targeted.  We might have to undo it.  In the meantime, if you want the orbit line back, find the following file,

GameData/GPP/GPP_Planets/Lili.cfg

you don't need to show the orbit line to target lili, you can get away with just showing the icon

that would allow you to target the body but at the same time not having the "ugly" orbit line in the rings

4 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

you don't need to show the orbit line to target lili, you can get away with just showing the icon

that would allow you to target the body but at the same time not having the "ugly" orbit line in the rings

Yep, I already figured that out by experimentation.  Thanks.

18 hours ago, OhioBob said:

BTW, not being able to target XXXX doesn't mean you can't effectively reach it, it just means you don't have some of the usual tools to help you.

All of this XXXX discussion is a little spoiler-y so I'm assuming maybe it gets deleted or cleaned up someday. I found it in a blind (no reading documentation of bodies) playthrough with ResearchBodies enabled with my first probe to [Body XXXX Orbits]. The visual context in which it orbits that body make it a reasonably easy but delightful find and will provide seasoned rendezvous'ers a good frame of reference to line up a rendezvous mission. I think you can even target/focus it using KER once you know there's another body in the system.

Edited by whitespacekilla

5 hours ago, whitespacekilla said:

All of this XXXX discussion is a little spoiler-y so I'm assuming maybe it gets deleted or cleaned up someday. I found it in a blind (no reading documentation of bodies) playthrough with ResearchBodies enabled with my first probe to [Body XXXX Orbits]. The visual context in which it orbits that body make it a reasonably easy but delightful find and will provide seasoned rendezvous'ers a good frame of reference to line up a rendezvous mission. I think you can even target/focus it using KER once you know there's another body in the system.

You honestly make some pretty good points, and you've made me reconsider my stance a bit. It's true that for new players it could be an actual fun find and attempt to get to without the usual tools. I also agree with OhioBob that it was an eyesore. I think a solution could be to keep the body node but not the orbit line, but I'm totally open to ideas.

2 hours ago, darwinpatrick said:

I think a solution could be to keep the body node but not the orbit line

I've already made that change for the next update (unless someone else on the dev team changes it back).

Edited by OhioBob

I was actually going to make the change last night but saw you had already done so. If I remember correctly, the reason why Lili was hidden initially was to make it a kind of secret body... but in doing so it may have just made it very frustrating for the player base. The fact you can tab/focus view on it makes that a moot point now so the change makes sense.

I'm assuming GPP Secondary wipes all the KK sites on Gael? Any chance of leaving them there but undiscovered/locked?

Oh, BTW, I'm finally getting around to installing GPP, and I'm floored. It's amazing! I played with it in standard mode + OPM, then switched over to secondary. I'm honestly torn. ;) Maybe I'll just have to do both.

23 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I'm assuming GPP Secondary wipes all the KK sites on Gael? Any chance of leaving them there but undiscovered/locked?

Oh, BTW, I'm finally getting around to installing GPP, and I'm floored. It's amazing! I played with it in standard mode + OPM, then switched over to secondary. I'm honestly torn. ;) Maybe I'll just have to do both.

Why not take the third option and add OhioBob's GEP with GEP_Primary + GPP in Secondary + OPM? ;) 

Spoiler

Be sure to keep a spare cat suit very close.

Maybe save this option for New Year's.

Also, yes, Gael's launch sites don't spawn under GPP_Secondary. I can't answer about the feature request, sorry.

On 10/24/2018 at 6:01 PM, darwinpatrick said:

You honestly make some pretty good points, and you've made me reconsider my stance a bit. It's true that for new players it could be an actual fun find and attempt to get to without the usual tools. I also agree with OhioBob that it was an eyesore. I think a solution could be to keep the body node but not the orbit line, but I'm totally open to ideas.

It was the first time in KSP I felt a real feeling of "discovery". It was the coolest moment I've had playing the game.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:59 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Why not take the third option and add OhioBob's GEP with GEP_Primary + GPP in Secondary + OPM? ;) 

Reveal hidden contents

Be sure to keep a spare cat suit very close.

Maybe save this option for New Year's.

Also, yes, Gael's launch sites don't spawn under GPP_Secondary. I can't answer about the feature request, sorry.

I have a question, I can find tons of information on how to set up GEP primary with GPP secondary, but adding OPM either Im freaking blind or is it as simple as just dropping it in?  If I install gpp as primary and gep as secondary do I just drop in OPM as well, where does opm end up?  Is there an option for stock primary, gpp secondary, gep tertiary, +opm?

Okay, this sounds crazy, but I love this idea, so here goes.

I sent a probe to Gratian in my career. I saw that some textures overall had been changed, and I liked what had been done to both Gratian and Geminus. Well done! Anyway, I sent my probe and got a nice valley with Geminus on the horizon.

https://imgur.com/GkC1GBG

I think the image worked? Not sure exactly how to add images. Anyway, That's a neat view. But look at Geminus!

https://imgur.com/ObpeUU2

Those nice banded lines and that little crater- on a gray moon- over a desert planet. What does this sound like?

https://imgur.com/igphHv9

Now, this sounds crazy, but wouldn't it be cool to update Geminus's map to make a nice big crater on the Gratian-facing side above those bands? I think that would be pretty neat. Do I even need to spell it out? I want a death star Geminus. There. I want this one to actually be a moon.

Edited by darwinpatrick
Trying, unsuccessfully, to fix the images

1 hour ago, Temeriki said:

I have a question, I can find tons of information on how to set up GEP primary with GPP secondary, but adding OPM either Im freaking blind or is it as simple as just dropping it in?  If I install gpp as primary and gep as secondary do I just drop in OPM as well, where does opm end up?  Is there an option for stock primary, gpp secondary, gep tertiary, +opm?

There's a great post here that explains the various combinations:

9 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

There's a great post here that explains the various combinations:

AWESOMESAUCE!

This is the combination im gonna try to get loading! GPP + GPP_Secondary + GEP + OPM: The OPM planets are added to the stock solar system.  Ciro and the GPP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the stock solar system.  Grannus and the GEP planets are added as a tertiary solar system orbiting the GPP solar system.

Edited by Temeriki
too excited and saved too early.

Still having a blast as is my friend Temeriki above; using the same combo of GPP_Secondary + OPM.

Is there a particular setting of DOE that needs to be tweaked to allow GPP bodies to have flares?  Stock/OPM bodies are showing up fine. It's not a distance thing, since I cheated to Nero, and all the Kerbin neighborhood bodies are still showing up.

I'm able to mouse over the region where GPP bodies are, and the name pops up with the right color as declared in the DOE config but no dot/flare.

On 10/27/2018 at 3:31 PM, Temeriki said:

AWESOMESAUCE!

This is the combination im gonna try to get loading! GPP + GPP_Secondary + GEP + OPM: The OPM planets are added to the stock solar system.  Ciro and the GPP planets are added as a secondary solar system orbiting the stock solar system.  Grannus and the GEP planets are added as a tertiary solar system orbiting the GPP solar system.

Just in case anyone's wondering followed the install instructions and everything's loaded perfectly.  Getting all my other mods loaded now.

To use GPP, I had to de-install the Making history DLC from the stock game.  I was told that GPP has difficulty working right when Making history is present, because Making history's infrastructure for multiple launchpads interferes with Kerbal Konstruct's infrastructure for multiple launchpads.  I was getting the Making history launchpads inserted onto Gael in random places in the middle of the ocean, and I was getting a bug whenever attempting to recover a craft from Gael's KSC where an exception would abort operations during the saving-game step and thus prevent all scene switching when landed at KSC (you had to kill the game and re-run it since you couldn't even quit the game though the menus without it trying to do the save-game step.)  I suspected this bug might also be because of Making history's extra launch site infrastructure because the exception was in a stock KSP routine that seemed to be trying to test whether or not the landed ship was near the KSC.

At any rate, de-installing Making history made the bug go away, whether that was by coincidence or not I don't know.

But I really miss my Making history parts, like the R7-style side boosters, and the ball-shaped command pods.  Is it possible to get just the parts from Making History, without getting the launch sited from it, by JUST copying over the parts folder only?  Or does this cause problems if some of the parts need to use things in DLL's that are part of the rest of Making History?

57 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

But I really miss my Making history parts, like the R7-style side boosters, and the ball-shaped command pods.  Is it possible to get just the parts from Making History, without getting the launch sited from it, by JUST copying over the parts folder only?  Or does this cause problems if some of the parts need to use things in DLL's that are part of the rest of Making History?

It's very much worth a shot to delete everything but the parts folder within Making History. A parts pack alone isn't going to threaten the usability of a planet pack. No one is going to know until you try it, and it's very safe to assume Galileo's not going to do anything about it. This is a very old and likely very unpleasant issue to him.

2 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

I had the same problem and I found a way to make everything work by eliminating some folders of Making History. After, of course, missions can no longer be created and new launch points are eliminated, but GPP and Kerbal-konstructs work and new parts of the expansion can be used. Now I'm not in front of the PC, in the day I should be able to show you which folders I deleted so you can do a test.