[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@Galileo I am totally astounded by the beauty and sheer magnitude of this mod!  Thank you and your partners for all the time, effort and devotion that obviously went into making this.

While looking over the description, and the wiki put together by @JadeOfMaar, I have two questions:

-- an asteroid belt is mentioned, but I didn't see any reference to how those are populated in the game - are they automatically generated, within certain orbit parameters?  And how many asteroids constitutes an 'asteroid belt'?

-- the Gauss/Catullus/Tarsiss system is intriguing, but I see that Catullus's mass is about 20% of Gauss, which would definitely make them act more like a binary planet system.  Is Gauss's orbit 'on rails' (due to KSP limitations), instead of the wobble that would exist in RL?

8 minutes ago, psychogre said:

@Galileo I am totally astounded by the beauty and sheer magnitude of this mod!  Thank you and your partners for all the time, effort and devotion that obviously went into making this.

While looking over the description, and the wiki put together by @JadeOfMaar, I have two questions:

-- an asteroid belt is mentioned, but I didn't see any reference to how those are populated in the game - are they automatically generated, within certain orbit parameters?  And how many asteroids constitutes an 'asteroid belt'?

-- the Gauss/Catullus/Tarsiss system is intriguing, but I see that Catullus's mass is about 20% of Gauss, which would definitely make them act more like a binary planet system.  Is Gauss's orbit 'on rails' (due to KSP limitations), instead of the wobble that would exist in RL?

The asteroids randomly populate between Gael and Tellumo.  

And yes Gauss is on rails.  We may set up a cfg with Sigma binary in order to get the wobble in the future

Thanks for the kind words! 

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

As for deep space propulsion I'm going to recommend Cryogenic Engines and Near Future Propulsion, both made by @Nertea. CryoEngines run on LH2 which you can produce from karbonite, and NFP gives you an alternative to Xenon (Argon which is far more abundant and affordable by comparison) and enables Ore ->Lithium in the stock ISRU. I think Lithium is a solid fuel but it is far more efficient than LFO, however you're going to need Near Future Electric or Solar, or the USI reactor pack (appears with any USI mod) to power Argon or Lithium engines to burn those fuels.

The resource system is a delicate affair here, yes. It is tuned such that worlds you wouldn't expect IRL to have certain materials indeed may not have them, as an added challenge and as a platform for innovations you won't find in any other mod planet or planet pack. The #1 mod I recommend is Karbonite which enables you to do things that you can't with Ore. It's accessible whether landed, splashed, flying, or in space. By consequence it fits right beside Cryo Engines and TAC LS.

Jeez. I thought some of the mods you describe here were already part of you pack (like Karbonite)... *starting CKAN*

The Asteroid day mod is made by Squad themselves. Some parts introduced in it have already made it into to core game. I believe it contains bigger Solar panels (Gigantor XL) a bigger probe core (HECS2) and the sentinel infrared telescope plus contracts for it.

I've chosen the engineering tech tree, which is gigantic and interesting. Wonder how this game works out...

Btw, RAM usage under Win7 is well over 5 GB, even without any extra mods.

@Nobody6 The only whole mods we bundle are Distant Object Enahncement, Planetshine, Scatter and three quality levels for SVE. :)

GPP is very heavy by itself with planet textures and the SVE options so all the remaining weight is restricted as much as possible to compatibility with and provisions for other mods. Apart from risking legal issues by bundling a whole large mod like Karbonite, and that bundle getting outdated quickly if its dev updates frequently, not everyone who wants GPP will want to try out karbonite, and for them that's a ton of dead weight inside the download.

Alright - here are my graphics settings:

Ksp%20Settings_zps5nptqw1g.jpg

At 110km, here is what Ceti looks like (thanks cheat menu)

Ceti_110km_zpsjowcqpqm.jpg

(That is one sexy sphere, or something. Maybe Jeb's been in the capsule too long...)

Now, here is what is looks like 30 seconds later after editing my orbit down to 100km:

Ceti_100km_zpsf6q7ojvx.jpg

It looks like my camera loses focus, or I have beer goggles. It probably is not your fault - after all animating a planet as actual 3D instead of a picture is hard. I just want to make sure it isn't just me, because I really want to land on something which looks like the first picture. I'd download a balloon mod for anything with an atmosphere so I can just float around and farm scenery shots. 

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Nobody6 The only whole mods we bundle are Distant Object Enahncement, Planetshine, Scatter and three quality levels for SVE. :)

GPP is very heavy by itself with planet textures and the SVE options so all the remaining weight is restricted as much as possible to compatibility with and provisions for other mods. Apart from risking legal issues by bundling a whole large mod like Karbonite, and that bundle getting outdated quickly if its dev updates frequently, not everyone who wants GPP will want to try out karbonite, and for them that's a ton of dead weight inside the download.

No problem. Its just that after reading some of those enchanting description (on github) which mention Kerbonite, I assumed that was part of it. I didn't know there was a mod with that name. Maybe add an asterisk to it?

I think you should add the answer you gave me to the original post, as suggested/recommended mods, to fully experience Galileo's system - if that hasn't already happened.

Just now, MaxL_1023 said:

Alright - here are my graphics settings:

Ksp%20Settings_zps5nptqw1g.jpg

At 110km, here is what Ceti looks like (thanks cheat menu)

Ceti_110km_zpsjowcqpqm.jpg

(That is one sexy sphere, or something. Maybe Jeb's been in the capsule too long...)

Now, here is what is looks like 30 seconds later after editing my orbit down to 100km:

Ceti_100km_zpsf6q7ojvx.jpg

It looks like my camera loses focus, or I have beer goggles. It probably is not your fault - after all animating a planet as actual 3D instead of a picture is hard. I just want to make sure it isn't just me, because I really want to land on something which looks like the first picture. I'd download a balloon mod for anything with an atmosphere so I can just float around and farm scenery shots. 

Yeah that's just the ground textures and the heightmap rendering too early and that is my fault. I already fixed it and we are on the cusp of an update so expect to see it fixed soon 

Edited by Galileo

Do you have any clue why this might be happening?

It seems as if Installing Galileo Planet Pack has broken the following KSP API call:

// Note "shared.Vessel" is a variable in kOS's C# code that currently
    // was set to FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel when this was being called.
    // You can duplicate this bug in your own test by just printing the value:
    //       FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel.orbit.timeToAp
    // to the output log file on a vessel that's in low Gael Orbit:

return shared.Vessel.orbit.timeToAp;   

(This is the C# code that's happening behind the scenes when a kOS kerboscript value queries ETA:APOAPSIS.)

The proper value would be the ETA to arriving at Apoapsis, which should be somewhere between 0 and the current orbit's period, in seconds.  But on a vessel that's in low Gael Orbit at 80km by 90km, I'm getting values back in the range of 8 digits or so of integer, like in the 10000000 ish range.  That's hundreds of days until Apoapsis, which can't be right.

The same effect happens with timeToPe (periapsis).

At first I thought it might be something new in career about needing to upgrade the tracking center first, but I get the same effect in sandbox mode too.  The same exact script in a new sandbox stock game does not have the problem, but one in a new stock Galileo game does.  At first I tried looking for what kOS might be doing wrong, but I traced it down to this API call just returning a totally different weird result for some reason when Galileo is installed, but I don't know what that reason is.

Just now, Steven Mading said:

Do you have any clue why this might be happening?

It seems as if Installing Galileo Planet Pack has broken the following KSP API call:

// Note "shared.Vessel" is a variable in kOS's C# code that currently
    // was set to FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel when this was being called.
    // You can duplicate this bug in your own test by just printing the value:
    //       FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel.orbit.timeToAp
    // to the output log file on a vessel that's in low Gael Orbit:

return shared.Vessel.orbit.timeToAp;   

(This is the C# code that's happening behind the scenes when a kOS kerboscript value queries ETA:APOAPSIS.)

The proper value would be the ETA to arriving at Apoapsis, which should be somewhere between 0 and the current orbit's period, in seconds.  But on a vessel that's in low Gael Orbit at 80km by 90km, I'm getting values back in the range of 8 digits or so of integer, like in the 10000000 ish range.  That's hundreds of days until Apoapsis, which can't be right.

The same effect happens with timeToPe (periapsis).

At first I thought it might be something new in career about needing to upgrade the tracking center first, but I get the same effect in sandbox mode too.  The same exact script in a new sandbox stock game does not have the problem, but one in a new stock Galileo game does.  At first I tried looking for what kOS might be doing wrong, but I traced it down to this API call just returning a totally different weird result for some reason when Galileo is installed, but I don't know what that reason is.

That wouldnt be anything this planet pack caused, but rather Kopernicus. Run the game without  the planet pack and just Kopernicus and see if you get the same issue.

I say this because GPP doesnt touch anything API wise but kopernicus does.

If the issue persists without a planet pack, bring it up in the Kopernicus thread

I also dont know anything about KOS, so im really not the guy to ask anyway lol

Edited by Galileo

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

That wouldnt be anything this planet pack caused, but rather Kopernicus. Run the game without  the planet pack and just Kopernicus and see if you get the same issue.

I say this because GPP doesnt touch anything API wise but kopernicus does.

If the issue persists without a planet pack, bring it up in the Kopernicus thread

Okay I'll try that.  Because Galileo's planet pack is distributed all collected together in one giant ZIP it's a bit hard to "see" the edges of where Kopernicus ends and GPP begins.  I think I'll just make a wholly new installation that just installs Kopernicus only rather than trying to figure out how to strip the not-Kopernicus stuff out of what the big ZIP installed.

Just now, RocketPCGaming said:

Please share how you got this in! As you are a God among men....lol

Its will be very easy once we update.. it will come bundled. if you were to do it yourself, it would take a lot of cfg changes

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Its will be very easy once we update.. it will come bundled. if you were to do it yourself, it would take a lot of cfg changes

Awesome! Thank you! I was looking at that and trying to figure out the best way to do it, as it is indeed, a lot...of changes.

26 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

Okay I'll try that.  Because Galileo's planet pack is distributed all collected together in one giant ZIP it's a bit hard to "see" the edges of where Kopernicus ends and GPP begins.  I think I'll just make a wholly new installation that just installs Kopernicus only rather than trying to figure out how to strip the not-Kopernicus stuff out of what the big ZIP installed.

I just installed Kopernicus only with nothing else, playing in a stock universe, and didn't get the problem.

But that doesn't prove it's not Kopernicus.  Maybe it needs a planet pack to exist before it really does anything.  Sigh.  I guess I might have to start looking at what the ZIP installs and try installing things one at a time until the problem happens, to see which thing caused it.

So ive since made a fresh install. And this time starting with just GPP and included mods only. Nothing else. The NullRefs are indeed gone. However the water issue remains.   

TnJ9xMF.jpg

Atleast I'm guessing its a problem on account it doesn't look like this.  

71rTT0Z.png

Annnnd I cant get the game to generate an output file... what the...

10 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

@Galileo Add GPP pages to Kopernicus Planet Wiki, we must.

http://outer-planets.wikia.com/wiki/Planet_Packs

I've already considered it but also whether I should delete my own wiki or just leave it alone. It's nice to know there'll be help in maintaining it on Wikia.

2 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

So ive since made a fresh install. And this time starting with just GPP and included mods only. Nothing else. The NullRefs are indeed gone. However the water issue remains.   

TnJ9xMF.jpg

71rTT0Z.png

Output files are found under the KSP_64x (or whatever it is) folder in your KSP directory

Just now, Motokid600 said:

TnJ9xMF.jpg

71rTT0Z.png

I disabled the scatterer ocean shaders for performance. All you have to do is enable it in the scatterer main menu window. Just be sure to restart the game completely in order for the change to take effect.

Okay. It works now. I didn't do anything just restarted the game trying to generate an output file. Water works now. Very pretty. But, uh..

5 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Output files are found under the KSP_64x (or whatever it is) folder in your KSP directory

Yea, its not there. Lol its very strange. Is there some kind of new logging setting I have to enable that.. somehow got disabled?

"I disabled the scatterer ocean shaders for performance. All you have to do is enable it in the scatterer main menu window. Just be sure to restart the game completely in order for the change to take effect."  Hm. Suppose that was it. Don't recal enabling it : /

Edited by Motokid600

Just now, Motokid600 said:

Okay. It works now. I didn't do anything just restarted the game trying to generate an output file. Water works now. Very pretty. But, uh..

Yea, its not there. Lol its very strange. Is there some kind of new logging setting I have to enable that.. somehow got disabled?

Not that im aware of. It generates for me. sure you aren't just over looking it? it is down a ways in the folder. Ill double check about the settings though

TYiVX43.png

Edited by Galileo