[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@MaxxQ [x]Science should work just fine and as for Planet Wiki, I don't mind if @jandcando is willing to take his specialty and produce his version of a GPP Planet Wiki. My dossiers on my Github wiki will give him a running start and I'm willing to help him all the way. I haven't begun to learn Unity and PartTools...and I mightn't for some time.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@MaxxQ [x]Science should work just fine and as for Planet Wiki, I don't mind if @jandcando is willing to take his specialty and produce his version of a GPP Planet Wiki. My dossiers on my Github wiki will give him a running start and I'm willing to help him all the way. I haven't begun to learn Unity and PartTools...and I mightn't for some time.

Thanks much!  

(Checks another off the list...)

Edit: KEI seems to work just fine.

Edited by MaxxQ

On 25.11.2016 at 6:32 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

KSC's coordinates are 8.510' N, 168.250 W. Altitude...

I have determined (using a probe core with Kerbnet access) that the location of the control tower is 8° 31' N and 168° 17' W and the antenna tip is  115 m above sea level.

The (center of the) tracking station is located at 8° 28' N, 168° 14' W and the roof is 39 m asl.

All values in v 1.0.1.

Is there any way to tune the landscape to maintain some semblance of a slope in 10x scale without having the terrain 10 times higher? Most of Gael's land is now about 10 KM high and I need to watch out for mountains when in Low Orbit (not quite afaik, but close lol). I want to make the mountains close to normal height without flattening them out - is there a way to have steep areas maintain their normal size while stretching flatter areas?

The only other thing I could think of would be to take the texture maps, clone them to make 100 tiles (covering the area of the larger body) then put some sort of randomizer on it do cut and paste terrain elements. If I tried this, I would probably blow up my computer before making something that looks reasonable. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

29 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Is there any way to tune the landscape to maintain some semblance of a slope in 10x scale without having the terrain 10 times higher? Most of Gael's land is now about 10 KM high and I need to watch out for mountains when in Low Orbit (not quite afaik, but close lol). I want to make the mountains close to normal height without flattening them out - is there a way to have steep areas maintain their normal size while stretching flatter areas?

The only other thing I could think of would be to take the texture maps, clone them to make 100 tiles (covering the area of the larger body) then put some sort of randomizer on it do cut and paste terrain elements. If I tried this, I would probably blow up my computer before making something that looks reasonable. 

Yeah set the landscape to 1

15 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Yeah set the landscape to 1

That causes the 40km mountains. I think it scales the heightmap before applying landscape, so setting it to 0.1 preserves the height values while stretching all slopes out by a factor of 10. 

Started a science game earlier and loving it!  Haven't done more than make a first orbit of Gael, but I have to say even that was pretty spectacular.  Haven't had a chance to take any screenshots because I had a problem with my ship in orbit (and on launch and re-entry as well), that's not related to this mod.  

With SAS on or off, the ship is nigh on uncontrollable.  When I select prograde, the ship turn towards the marker, but then just blows right on past it and goes spinning all over.  Not too hard to get it back to the marker, but then I have to babysit it the entire flight.  Same with the retrograde marker and the node target marker.  Occasionally it'll lock onto the node marker, but then slowly drift away.

At first, I thought my joystick (which was still connected) might have been the culprit, so I unplugged it.  Didn't seem to help, but then again, I may have needed a restart.  The only way I was able to finally get decent control was to use Atmosphere Autopilot in Fly By Wire mode, with Rocket Mode selected.

Anyway, enough of that.  I'll figure it out eventually.  I just wanted to say that this is a great mod.  First planet pack I've ever installed, and if the rest of the planets and moons are as interesting (and fun!) as Gael and others who done more say, then I may never go back to the stock system. 

Thanks for a fantastic mod, Galileo and crew.

5 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

That causes the 40km mountains. I think it scales the heightmap before applying landscape, so setting it to 0.1 preserves the height values while stretching all slopes out by a factor of 10. 

Yes, that's how Sigma Dimensions works.  If you're doing a 10x scale (RSS-ish) then I'd try 0.2 or 0.25 for landscape.  It will be somewhat flatter than stock, but definitely better than no increase in height at all.

I've also found that deleting the "rescale clouds" config to be worthwhile, so the clouds stay around 6 km where they're supposed to be. 

BTW, just started a 3.2x GPP career with Kerbal Research and Development in addition to most of the recommended mods.  Kerbal Konstructs was a casualty, however, as everything spawned in the wrong spot after Gael was plumped up.

Edited by Norcalplanner
Added a bit

1 hour ago, MaxxQ said:

Started a science game earlier and loving it!  Haven't done more than make a first orbit of Gael, but I have to say even that was pretty spectacular.  Haven't had a chance to take any screenshots because I had a problem with my ship in orbit (and on launch and re-entry as well), that's not related to this mod.  

With SAS on or off, the ship is nigh on uncontrollable.  When I select prograde, the ship turn towards the marker, but then just blows right on past it and goes spinning all over.  Not too hard to get it back to the marker, but then I have to babysit it the entire flight.  Same with the retrograde marker and the node target marker.  Occasionally it'll lock onto the node marker, but then slowly drift away.

At first, I thought my joystick (which was still connected) might have been the culprit, so I unplugged it.  Didn't seem to help, but then again, I may have needed a restart.  The only way I was able to finally get decent control was to use Atmosphere Autopilot in Fly By Wire mode, with Rocket Mode selected.

Anyway, enough of that.  I'll figure it out eventually.  I just wanted to say that this is a great mod.  First planet pack I've ever installed, and if the rest of the planets and moons are as interesting (and fun!) as Gael and others who done more say, then I may never go back to the stock system. 

Thanks for a fantastic mod, Galileo and crew.

9/10 times you accidentally pressed ALT while using WASD and trimmed the vessel (happens most of the time when using physics warp during ascent) Press ALT+X next time and check the flight controls indicator on the bottom left to be centered in the middle :)

I bet if you started a patreon for RSS-scale textures and heightmaps you would get enough to make it worthwhile.

You almost need a third level of dynamic loading. Distant view textures, then at a few hundred KM switch to a rough heightmap (but with higher resolution textures), then below ~50km switch to a very detailed heightmap/textures which are only loaded for a certain area surrounding the observer, as at that altitude the horizon and atmospheric haze prevent very distant observations. 

I would pay the cost of KSP again to get a RSS version with that kind of detail. 

36 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I bet if you started a patreon for RSS-scale textures and heightmaps you would get enough to make it worthwhile.

You almost need a third level of dynamic loading. Distant view textures, then at a few hundred KM switch to a rough heightmap (but with higher resolution textures), then below ~50km switch to a very detailed heightmap/textures which are only loaded for a certain area surrounding the observer, as at that altitude the horizon and atmospheric haze prevent very distant observations. 

I would pay the cost of KSP again to get a RSS version with that kind of detail. 

i would but i dont really understand patreon. I stick to good ol Paypal lol

My understanding of Patreon is it's a better implementation of broadcasting yourself (or the things you do) and getting paid for it than YouTube is. I'm sure it still connects to Paypal. I'm not well acquainted with anyone who uses it to frequent it myself but I'm confident my hunch is a good one... However, your texturing magic will cease to be a secret if you include texture production in your streams. :D 

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

My understanding of Patreon is it's a better implementation of broadcasting yourself (or the things you do) and getting paid for it than YouTube is. I'm sure it still connects to Paypal. I'm not well acquainted with anyone who uses it to frequent it myself but I'm confident my hunch is a good one... However, your texturing magic will cease to be a secret if you include texture production in your streams. :D 

yeah i dont want to let those super secret secrets to get out :)

Trying to get a Kerbal on Niven in 10x is getting sketchier by the second. My rocket is 153m tall and weighs 5000 tons, and I still need a first stage with 4000 m/s of delta-v to lift it! (I am using SMURFF but its still crazy).