Galileo

[KSP 1.4.5] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.3.1] [03 Aug 2018]

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Galileo I know of KSC2 being present and I also know exactly where it is (on an amusing tiny uppercase I or H-shaped island). When RocketPCGaming went there it was above water and just fine. Ohio's sea level tweaks surely caused it to go under. :P 

You can't blame me for that one.  I didn't make any heightmap changes to bodies with oceans for the specific reason that I didn't want to mess up any shoreline locations.  I haven't touched Gael.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OhioBob Oops. Sorry. :D 

But now I'm quite confused as to how KSC 2's island is no longer clear in the image files for Gael but it persists in-game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few quick shots of Tellumo Survey - just arrived to collect details on the planetary surface (and harvest that sweet science)

dYl7Y5O.png

tEv0I7V.png

EDIT - wow, 1000 science just from high/low orbital passes... (Tyko eyes Advanced Science Tech with a gleam in his eye)

Edited by Tyko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Duski said:

So with finally getting this to work, i'm planning to setup my comms network with some satellites on ceti, but idk what launch site is good for getting on ceti's inclination. ideas?

It can also be helpful to have satellites in LGO which are coplanar with Ceti and Iota.  I use the "plane" icon for those two satellites - it's a bit of an orbital mechanics pun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Duski said:

So with finally getting this to work, i'm planning to setup my comms network with some satellites on ceti, but idk what launch site is good for getting on ceti's inclination. ideas?

As was noted above, Ceti's inclination is almost exactly the same as the standard launch site's latitude. This means that every sidereal day there will be one optimal moment when you can launch due East into Ceti's orbital plane. Here's how I calculate that moment.

Ceti's LAN is 90 degrees (relative to the absolute frame of reference), the standard launch site is at Gael longitude 191.8 degrees longitude and 8.84 degrees North, and per the config file Gael's rotation starts with Gael 0 degrees latitude pointing at 90 degrees relative to the absolute frame of reference. Since the launch site is North of the equator what this all means is that if you launch due East at Y1 D1 0:0:0 you will get into an orbit with a LAN of 191.8 degrees in the absolute frame of reference. Since Gael's sidereal rotation period is 21549.41 seconds it will be about 15454.6 seconds before the launch site is closest to Ceti's orbital plane. This is Y1 D1 4:17:34, and this is the first optimal  time to launch due East to get to Ceti. Every 21549.41 seconds after that will be another optimal launch time to get to Ceti. (So for example the 2nd optimal launch time is Y1 D2 4:16:44.) I write a little spreadsheet where I enter the current time and it gives me the next optimal Ceti launch time.

This is more complex then just putting a craft in low Gael orbit in the exact orbital plane of Ceti and launching when you pass under its orbit, or using it as a target for various flight assist apps, but I love the math.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far too few pictures (and too much higher mathematics:confused:) here, that must change. Visitors may still get scared and do not load the mod.

So, here I am now to meet the last part of the Tellumo 6 expedition. I have been to Iota, Ceti, Niven and Eta. Now comes Lilli and then Tellumo.

First I will land on Lilli and refuel the ship. The small lander at the top is then to land on Tellumo. The probe itself is said to return to Gael by 2 fly by contracts.

(Lastly have your vessel in suborbital spaceflight above Gael)

M4ptmpI.jpg

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

Far too few pictures (and too much higher mathematics:confused:) here, that must change. Visitors may still get scared and do not load the mod.

So, here I am now to meet the last part of the Tellumo 6 expedition. I have been to Iota, Ceti, Niven and Eta. Now comes Lilli and then Tellumo.

First I will land on Lilli and refuel the ship. The small lander at the top is then to land on Tellumo. The probe itself is said to return to Gael by 2 fly by contracts.

(Lastly have your vessel in suborbital spaceflight above Gael)

M4ptmpI.jpg

Greetings

THAT is an awesome screenshot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

math math math, math math math math math.

. . . O.O

I just use MechJeb... :blush:

Just wait until someone asks for the optimal times to launch to Iota. That gets epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PLAD said:

Ceti's LAN is 90 degrees (relative to the absolute frame of reference), the standard launch site is at Gael longitude 191.8 degrees longitude and 8.84 degrees North, and per the config file Gael's rotation starts with Gael 0 degrees latitude pointing at 90 degrees relative to the absolute frame of reference. Since the launch site is North of the equator what this all means is that if you launch due East at Y1 D1 0:0:0 you will get into an orbit with a LAN of 191.8 degrees in the absolute frame of reference. Since Gael's sidereal rotation period is 21549.41 seconds it will be about 15454.6 seconds before the launch site is closest to Ceti's orbital plane. This is Y1 D1 4:17:34, and this is the first optimal  time to launch due East to get to Ceti. Every 21549.41 seconds after that will be another optimal launch time to get to Ceti. (So for example the 2nd optimal launch time is Y1 D2 4:16:44.) I write a little spreadsheet where I enter the current time and it gives me the next optimal Ceti launch time.

That's likely to change with the next GPP update.  We've changed Gael's initial rotation so that the clock hits a time of 0:00 when it is local midnight at the KSC site.  We've also tweaked the length of Gael's year to be exactly 426 days.  This assures that sunrise and sunset occurs at precisely the same time every day (about 1:30 and 4:30 respectively at KSC).  Your method is probably sound, but you're going to have to re-compute the launch times with the next update.

Below are the methods that I described for getting to Iota and Ceti.  I was basing the launch time for Ceti off the longitude of ascending node.  My method doesn't require any math, but it does require a plugin (such as KER) to provide a LAN indicator.  Your method doesn't require any plugins, but it does require some math.
 

Quote

 

Tips for getting to Iota.

I compute that the proper phase angle for a trip to Iota is 115 degrees.  That is, you preform your transfer orbit injection burn when the angle between the line segment joining Kerbin and Iota, and the line segment joining Kerbin and the spacecraft, is 115 degrees.  To avoid having to perform a plane change, you should launch from Gael when KSC is 90 degrees from the injection point, or when the phase angle between Iota and KSC is 205 degrees.  Doing so means that the descending node of the parking orbit will coincide with the injection point.  That is, you’ll be passing through Iota’s orbital plane just at the time that you perform the transfer burn.  This will enable you to obtain a good intercept with Iota without having to perform any plane change.

Tips for getting to Ceti.

A due east launch from KSC will inject your spacecraft into an orbit with an inclination of about 8.64 degrees.  Ceti’s orbital inclination is 9 degrees.  Therefore, with proper timing you can launch due east from KSC and match Ceti’s orbital plane to within 1/2 degree.  The proper time to launch is when KSC is 90 degrees from Ceti’s descending node.  You can eyeball this from the map view, but better results can be attained by using Kerbal Engineer Redux.  Set KER’s orbital display to show longitude of ascending node.  Send your rocket to the launch pad a time warp ahead until the LAN readout starts to approach 90 degrees.  When the display shows 90o, the orbital nodes are correctly aligned.  However, I’ve found that best results are achieved by launching when the display reads about 89 degrees.  Doing this will allow you to reach Ceti with only minimal plane change.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

That's likely to change with the next GPP update.  We've changed Gael's initial rotation so that the clock hits a time of 0:00 when it is local midnight at the KSC site.  We've also tweaked the length of Gael's year to be exactly 426 days.  This assures that sunrise and sunset occurs at precisely the same time every day (about 1:30 and 4:30 respectively at KSC).  Your method is probably sound, but you're going to have to re-compute the launch times with the next update.

Below are the methods that I described for getting to Iota and Ceti.  I was basing the launch time for Ceti off the longitude of ascending node.  My method doesn't require any math, but it does require a plugin (such as KER) to provide a LAN indicator.  Your method doesn't require any plugins, but it does require some math.
 

 

Thanks for the tip. Because of Flyby Finder I'll always be checking the changelogs for GPP with each release (and the .cfg files just in case) but it's nice to know.

By the way, what value does Kopernicus use for little g (I assume 9.81 m/s^2)?

Heh, your tip for getting to Ceti is too easy, wait until your LAN on the launchpad is 89 degrees using KER. I use Mechjeb but it doesn't give the correct LAN while the ship is still on the ground (once you launch it snaps to the correct value). I get the little 1-degree fudge factor caused by the LAN of your ship increasing a bit between launch and orbit insertion, I should have noted that.

For Iota I made a spreadsheet that uses spherical trigonometry to find the two times in the next day that launching will put you in a plane that intersects Iota's orbital plane at the point where it will be when you get out to its SMA (one encounter where you approach it from below and one where you approach from above) but your way is easier than making a spreadsheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2017 at 11:11 PM, Galileo said:

We really dont want to include city lights but I still experimented and boy they are pretty

OEUs9pK.png

I am greatly saddened to hear that city lights are not to be included ;.;

It feels so incredibly lonely up in my space station around my home planet whizzing over a black void in the night, is there any chance that you could be convinced to include these city lights in an optional separate download? Iv'e been contemplating putting some kerbin city lights onto Gael, even though nothing will be even close to lining up it will at least not feel so dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

I am greatly saddened to hear that city lights are not to be included ;.;

It feels so incredibly lonely up in my space station around my home planet whizzing over a black void in the night, is there any chance that you could be convinced to include these city lights in an optional separate download? Iv'e been contemplating putting some kerbin city lights onto Gael, even though nothing will be even close to lining up it will at least not feel so dead.

I have a final product and will include it next update as an optional file

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fly-by-Finder, MechJeb, MATH MATH MATH and my personal favorite - KSPTOT from @Arrowstar.  It gives you the best of all worlds and yes it works beautifully with GPP.  Just remember to load your bodies.ini file every time you start it up.  To have such a powerful tool available for this amazing system is giving the sweetest flight paths you can find...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part 2 in the video series. SOON tm

LcFcAZK.jpg

 

 

Edited by sDaZe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PLAD said:

By the way, what value does Kopernicus use for little g (I assume 9.81 m/s^2)?

GPP use to use 9.81 m/s2, but that was changed recently (v1.2, I think).  Now it uses 9.80665 m/s2.  Almost certainly Kopernicus pulls the value from GPP.
 

2 hours ago, PLAD said:

I get the little 1-degree fudge factor caused by the LAN of your ship increasing a bit between launch and orbit insertion, I should have noted that.

That's correct.  I find that once the rocket pitches over, it holds pretty closely to whatever the LAN is at that point through the rest of the launch.  But while ascending vertically we move that extra degree so that we're at a LAN of about 90 degrees at pitch over.  At least that's the way it works for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Too much Math and not enough art/photography. :P I'm pretty eager to get my science game out of Gael SOI because Gael screenshots are many.

And yet, that piece of skybox and of sunflare towards the far left, they just work. And then launching from Iota's south pole to meet a rescue ship.

QURyXA1.jpg

DYUbvKd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings, and thanks for this mod.  Playing with the same planetary bodies over and over again makes the game a bit stale.

Perhaps this has been asked before, but what exactly changed about Gael's atmosphere?  I read on the wiki that it might not behave like stock, but this seems radically different.  Vessels that would have no trouble making it to orbit in stock barely make it to 15km, and often then they flip over much more easily.  Gravity lists as the same in the stats.  The atmospheric stats don't seem all that much different, the scale height is slightly higher...

So I'm wondering if there's some explanations out there, or pointers on how to actually get something to orbit.  Or is there something else that might be going on?

 

Cheers,

-BS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Galileo said:

THAT is an awesome screenshot!

Thank you very much. But the real work behind the photo did you all, I press only F1.

I still have a few. Maybe you like it:

Here on Lilli

byCLkL8.jpg

ZwUxeIw.jpg

 

Disconnecting the small probe

B8vzrOR.jpg

 

And the final braking maneuver

ExoFskg.jpg

The probe has arrived safely, but not completely. 2 feet became too hot. The contract, however, I had to complete by F12. This is always the case, however, since the point "newly launched" is never fulfilled.

greetings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick question:  The pictures that appear in the wiki (e.g., https://github.com/Galileo88/Galileos-Planet-Pack/wiki/Gael) look like they're intended to be part of the in-game KSPedia.  However, they don't seem to exist in the GPP zip file at all, and they're certainly not showing up in my install.  Is something broken on my end?  Is this a WIP?  Or should I just be thankful for the Wiki?  

Aside from the question, I really must commend everyone who worked on this mod.  It's fantastic.  It's like playing KSP 2.0. It was definitely worth having to triple the memory in this computer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

A quick question:  The pictures that appear in the wiki (e.g., https://github.com/Galileo88/Galileos-Planet-Pack/wiki/Gael) look like they're intended to be part of the in-game KSPedia.  However, they don't seem to exist in the GPP zip file at all, and they're certainly not showing up in my install.  Is something broken on my end?  Is this a WIP?  Or should I just be thankful for the Wiki?  

Aside from the question, I really must commend everyone who worked on this mod.  It's fantastic.  It's like playing KSP 2.0. It was definitely worth having to triple the memory in this computer!

It's a whip that will be implemented hopefully next update. Maybe @JadeOfMaar can give a progress report on that since I have been out of the loop for the last week or so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

14 minutes ago, barfing_skull said:

Greetings, and thanks for this mod.  Playing with the same planetary bodies over and over again makes the game a bit stale.

Perhaps this has been asked before, but what exactly changed about Gael's atmosphere?  I read on the wiki that it might not behave like stock, but this seems radically different.  Vessels that would have no trouble making it to orbit in stock barely make it to 15km, and often then they flip over much more easily.  Gravity lists as the same in the stats.  The atmospheric stats don't seem all that much different, the scale height is slightly higher...

So I'm wondering if there's some explanations out there, or pointers on how to actually get something to orbit.  Or is there something else that might be going on?

 

Cheers,

-BS

Gael's atmosphere is modestly different due to being modeled realistically and having more fine details than Kerbin's atmosphere does. Particularly, it's rather warm in the Stratosphere (the variances in the atmosphere itself from Kerbin's making a Stratosphere actually exist here) meaning the air is thinner than expected which will upset air-breathing engines and aerodynamics in general. It's not stated obviously in the new documentation @OhioBob and I are developing but for most folks it's not terrible enough for anyone to really notice or for us to explicitly write. I'm surprised that there's finally a case of someone's ships being crippled by this.

2 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

A quick question:  The pictures that appear in the wiki (e.g., https://github.com/Galileo88/Galileos-Planet-Pack/wiki/Gael) look like they're intended to be part of the in-game KSPedia.  However, they don't seem to exist in the GPP zip file at all, and they're certainly not showing up in my install.  Is something broken on my end?  Is this a WIP?  Or should I just be thankful for the Wiki?  

Aside from the question, I really must commend everyone who worked on this mod.  It's fantastic.  It's like playing KSP 2.0. It was definitely worth having to triple the memory in this computer!

Those images are indeed a prototype for GPP's KSPedia. The KSPedia itself does not exist yet and is intended to be part of the next release. They'll be more comprehensive, showing more practical in-game information (namely atmosphere composition and science multipliers). I'm just short on an a few arrays of numbers, after which it can then be converted from .psd to .ksp

It's always pleasing to read that we've made KSP new again for someone. :) We're glad you're happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

.

Gael's atmosphere is modestly different due to being modeled realistically and having more fine details than Kerbin's atmosphere does. Particularly, it's rather warm in the Stratosphere (the variances in the atmosphere itself from Kerbin's making a Stratosphere actually exist here) meaning the air is thinner than expected which will upset air-breathing engines and aerodynamics in general. It's not stated obviously in the new documentation @OhioBob and I are developing but for most folks it's not terrible enough for anyone to really notice or for us to explicitly write. I'm surprised that there's finally a case of someone's ships being crippled by this.

 

Gah, I think your mod is fine, after doing a bit more research I'm pretty sure it's not the atmosphere, but a problem with a part.

 

After enabling the aerodynamic overlay, the Mk16 parachute is acting as if it's open at launch.  This both explains the slowness, and a propensity to immediately tip over.  When I remove the parachute from the vessel, it flies about according to expectations.  There's no animation or graphical manifestation of it being open at launch, but the aerodynamic overlay clearly shows a huge drag coming right from the tip of the vessel.  I have a ton of part packs, but that's a stock part.  Hmmm....

 

Cheers,

-BS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.