[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

35 minutes ago, Galileo said:

pshhhh  no, you didn't see anything...

quick question and I hope it doesn't seem I'm pushing here, but could you change the sunflare to make it more realistic and not orange? I tried finding another sunflare but all are outdated or don't look as good as some I've seen on youtube vids.

@The-Doctor There's a wide selection of "Galileo's Sunflares" (click his signature) to choose from if you want to change that part about it. The sun itself is smaller and dimmer and will cast a slight orange hue on things in space.

Make sure that when you install any that there's a Ghost3.png or you'll get at NRE flood and no sunflare.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

19 minutes ago, captainzeldaman said:

Having allot of trouble installing, don't exactly know what to do. Despite the tutorial :/ :(

Welcome to the forums. I hope you did not involve CKAN. It will not help you with this mod.

In my guide post on page 1, and in purple text is clearer install instructions than the current copy in the download.

Also ensure that you're running KSP 1.2.1, not 1.2.0.

GPP Install Instructions

1. Create a new install of KSP or backup and remove your saves. Any existing campaign that uses the stock planets will be broken.

2. Install the latest version of Kopernicus. All planet mods and planet packs require it.

3. Install GPP like anything else. Do it manually. Due to this mod's level of complexity there will be no CKAN support.

4. In GPP's Optional Mods folder see if there's something for another mod that you use. If there is, copy the GameData folder from inside each one and allow it to overwrite everything. The affected mod needs to already be installed. Kerbal Konstructs with KSC++ is patched and included whole.

5. If you use SVE, EVE, and SVT delete them completely then reinstall from this download. SVE and EVE for GPP are custom-tailored and should not be mixed. SVT features are built-in.

6. If you don't use Scatterer, merge the GameData folder inside Alternate Ciro cfg folder.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Note to asteroid grabbers - 6 km/s of delta-v is the minimum to get from Gael orbit to asteroid bounty.

Asteroid%201_zpsvimc9b4g.jpg

Also, class B's are a little scrawny and I am terrible at grabbing them. I hope I can get enough fuel from it to make it back to Gael, let alone tow the asteroid back. 

Update: I got 69 units of ore from a 10 ton asteroid. My own fault for picking a carbonaceous asteroid I guess, if it makes a difference. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I think Ciro is supposed to be a little orange - it is a cooler star than Kerbol.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The sun itself is smaller and dimmer and will cast a slight orange hue on things in space.

There seems to be some confusion here.  Ciro is not a cooler and dimmer star than Kerbol.  The sunlight intensity in the game may be less, but if that's the case, it should be adjusted.  The most important thing is that the solar constant at Gael is exactly the same as it is at Kerbin (1360 W/m2), which is by design.  And since Gael is slightly farther away than Kerbin, Ciro's luminosity is actually about 6% greater than Kerbol.  Ciro is also about 9% more massive than Kerbol.  Ciro does have a much smaller radius, but that's because Kerbol's physical properties are all messed up.  Kerbol's radius, temperature, and luminosity (based on solar constant at Kerbin) are mathematically inconsistent.  Based on its temperature and luminosity, Kerbol's radius should be less than Ciro's.  I took special care to make certain that Ciro's properties are internally consistent.  Ciro's computed temperature is 5524 K*.  Kerbol's given temperature is 5840 K, but there's really no justification for that.  Kerbol should be cooler than Ciro because it's a less massive star.  Ciro should be slightly more orange than our real life sun, but probably not enough to be even noticeable.  The light cast by Ciro should be white.

* The tracking station information panel shows a temperature of 5840 K (the stock value) because there a glitch that prevents us from changing it.

Ciro is noticeably more yellow than Kerbol - perhaps a color cfg is off. 

I thought the solar constants were inconsistent with the star size due to how dim the illumination is in space - if the star is realistically proportioned then white bodies should be blinding (or very bright) when near or inside of Gael's orbit. 

@OhioBob oops. I forgot that Ciro seems dimmer because there's much more distance between its surface and Gael's--because a Gael AU is greater than a Kerbin AU, and thought that it's dimmer because it's smaller. I also forgot to mention that the hue it causes is actually possibly the effect of the Planetshine mod. Objects in Gael orbit may be getting tinted by Iota. However, a few players have poked at us over the low ambient light due to this greater AU distance.

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@OhioBob oops. I forgot that Ciro seems dimmer because there's much more distance between its surface and Gael's--because a Gael AU is greater than a Kerbin AU, and thought that it's dimmer because it's smaller. I also forgot to mention that the hue it causes is actually possibly the effect of the Planetshine mod. Objects in Gael orbit may be getting tinted by Iota. However, a few players have poked at us over the low ambient light due to this greater AU distance.

The ambient light should have nothing directly to do with the AU distance - it should be a function of the local luminosity. If the solar flux is 1360 W/mat Gael then the luminosity should be equal to stock Kerbin (assuming that is accurate in itself). I flat out doubled mine in the cfg files and it still seems a bit dim. 

I agree that it looks dimmer, and possibly yellower, in the game.  But it shouldn't.  We need to play around with the settings to correct that.  For all intents and purposes, Gael and Ciro should mimic Earth and Sun in their appearance.

I took a look in the Ciro config and here is what jumped out at me:

sunlightColor = 1, 0.92, 0.85, 1 (This is yellowish - no issue here since it is a little cooler than the Sun (G6 vs G2)
                sunlightIntensity = 0.45 (Here is an issue - shouldn't this be one if it is related to the solar constant?)
                scaledSunlightColor = 1, 0.92, 0.85, 1
                scaledSunlightIntensity = 0.45 (Same as above, as everything is unity scaled)
                IVASunIntensity = 0.34 (Should be scaled along with the above, reflecting window tint, etc.)
                sunAU = 13984359719

(A scaled Earth AU is about 136,000,000. With Ciro's temperature Gael should be a little closer than this, not farther out. A G6 star would likely only have 80-90% of the sun's luminosity and 95% of the mass)

luminosity = 1360 (Assuming this is held constant for balance)

Edit: From the PDF, Ciro has 96% the mass and 87% of the luminosity. The AU should then be 93.2737% of an Earth AU (before scaling), or in game sunAU should be set to 12685054828 (roughly anyways). Tellumo should also probably be moved inwards by 5-10% to maintain plausible habitability. Every other body could stay where it is. 

This is assuming sunAU is how far Gael orbits - if Gael wants 1360 watts it needs to be moved in a bit. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

I believe the "luminosity" setting is the solar flux at the AU distance.  In stock, the solar flux is 1360 W/m2 at an AU of 13,599,840,256 meters.  In GPP, the solar flux is 1360 W/m2 at an AU of 13,984,359,719 meters.  I don't think that has anything whatsoever to do with the appearance of the sun or the color and intensity of the light it casts.  I believe the luminosity is used for computing things like solar heating of parts, solar panel energy output, etc.  In think the appearance of the sun and its light is completely independent of its effects.  The appearance is controlled by sunlightColor, sunlightIntensity, scaledSunlightColor, scaledSunlightIntensity, and IVASunIntesnity.

At least that's what I think.  I did do some limited experimentation on this at one time, but not enough to say with 100% certainty that the above is correct.

What I find somewhat baffling is that the intensity settings we're using in GPP are the same ones used in stock KSP.  I don't know why things look so much dimmer.

The issue is that Ciro really, really shouldn't be brighter than the Sun (scaled of course) considering it only has 0.96 solar masses (the big one) and a 5524K effective temperature - unless it is a subgiant or something which is 12 billion years old and KSP-I is supposed to be the evacuation before the red giant phase. 

I suspect Kerbol was borked when you took your base values.

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

(A scaled Earth AU is about 136,000,000. With Ciro's temperature Gael should be a little closer than this, not farther out. A G6 star would likely only have 80-90% of the sun's luminosity and 95% of the mass)

From Ciro's radius and temperature, it's luminosity is,

(4 * π * 709800002) * 0.000000056704 * 55244 =  3.343E+24 W

At Gael's distance, the solar constant is,

3.343E+24 / (4 * π * 139843567192) = 1360 W/m2 

As I said, Gael's numbers are internally consistent.  You can't determine anything from Kerbol's numbers because they are not internally consistent.

54 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The issue is that Ciro really, really shouldn't be brighter than the Sun (scaled of course) considering it only has 0.96 solar masses (the big one) and a 5524K effective temperature - unless it is a subgiant or something which is 12 billion years old and KSP-I is supposed to be the evacuation before the red giant phase. 

Ciro has 0.96 solar masses and 0.87 solar luminosities.  Where did you get that it is brighter than the Sun?  Gael's AU is 0.935 times Earth's AU (scaled), which is why it has approximately the same solar constant as Earth.

An Earth AU is 149,600,000 km.

Edited by OhioBob

Ciro must be on the high side of the HR diagram then - it has a radius larger than the Suns while being lighter and cooler. 

I think the PDF file with the Mod is wrong - it states that Ciro should have 0.87 solar luminosities.

I might have found the issue - the 87% figure would be right assuming luminosity between stock and RSS scale would be a conversion factor of 100. I think it is actually 121, as while radius is scaled by 10 orbital distance is scaled by 11. This would explain why Kerbol is not consistent. You need a luminosity scale of 121 to normalize the solar constant.

8 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Ciro must be on the high side of the HR diagram then - it has a radius larger than the Suns while being lighter and cooler. 

The Sun doesn't lie on the centerline of the HR diagram.  It's actually hotter than a typical star of its mass.  Ciro's mass, luminosity and radius where derived from the equations found in the following paper:

http://faculty.buffalostate.edu/sabatojs/courses/GES639/S10/reading/mass_luminosity.pdf

Edited by OhioBob

33 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I suspect Kerbol was borked when you took your base values.

I didn't use anything about Kerbol in my computations.  Ciro properties were derived from two known pieces of information about Gael:  solar constant = 1360 W/m2, sidereal orbital period = 426 days (6-hour days).  From those given values and the equations previously referenced, Ciro's mass, luminosity and radius, and Gael's semimajor axis where derived.  Ciro's temperature was computed from radius and luminosity.

Edited by OhioBob

I see where my confusion came from. The paper you used for the radius formula does not cross the sun's radius at the sun's mass - a solar mass star should have 1.06 solar radii and 1.02 solar luminosities (and therefore be slightly cooler). All of this is within reasonable variation considering age, metallicity, etc.

I still don't know why the systems seems so dim though - must be a wierd number somewhere, otherwise I am crazy.

4 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I see where my confusion came from. The paper you used for the radius formula does not cross the sun's radius at the sun's mass - a solar mass star should have 1.06 solar radii and 1.02 solar luminosities (and therefore be slightly cooler). All of this is within reasonable variation considering age, metallicity, etc.

Exactly.  The Sun is a little atypical.

I still don't know why the systems seems so dim though - must be a wierd number somewhere, otherwise I am crazy.

It seems a little dim to me too.  Based on the config settings, I would have excepted the illumination to resemble the stock game.  I think we're planning to make some adjustments for the next release.