[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

44 minutes ago, eddiew said:

So by pure chance, my current career is 20 days from an optimal Grannus window... only 3.7km/s ejection, but 60km/s capture what the hell? :D

Still, with 455 years travel time, might as well launch a thing now... except I don't think there's an antenna out there can make the range! :P 

I'm not entirely sure what this "Grannus" thing is, but by the sound of it, at 6.4x I won't be seeing it any time soon, anyway. ;.;

6 hours ago, eddiew said:

So by pure chance, my current career is 20 days from an optimal Grannus window... only 3.7km/s ejection, but 60km/s capture what the hell? :D

Still, with 455 years travel time, might as well launch a thing now... except I don't think there's an antenna out there can make the range! :P 

Well given the kind of trajectory you have to take, moreover without an actual warp drive installed (Yes. GPP now makes them very useful.) 455 years trip sounds totally legit.

I've made my patch for the NFP parts but balancing numbers for Methane to Carbon and Hydrogen is hard....and I decided to leave out Ammonia. When I figure that out I'll PM you it so you can try it out.

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I'm not entirely sure what this "Grannus" thing is, but by the sound of it, at 6.4x I won't be seeing it any time soon, anyway. ;.;

The Grannus is a great and terrible secret. May no one write or show anything (please) to reveal it to their fellowman. :wink: 

Let all who read its name find out for themselves...

Edited by JadeOfMaar

25 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Presumably a bit more velocity on the ejection will cut the transfer time dramatically, giving you a 150km/s flyby. You know you want to. :wink:

50 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Well given the kind of trajectory you have to take, moreover without an actual warp drive installed (Yes. GPP now makes them very useful.) 455 years trip sounds totally legit.

I've made my patch for the NFP parts but balancing numbers for Methane to Carbon and Hydrogen is hard....and I decided to leave out Ammonia. When I figure that out I'll PM you it so you can try it out.

Turns out to be 20 years... for some reason, Transfer Window Planner has a really hard time with Grannus, it got the wrong launch time and transit duration. Mechjeb plotted a node in 365 days that gets there much faster.

Grannus Ichi is ready to go!

k8a3bA5.jpg

...yes, that's 18 antennae. And 12k electricities. Early tests suggest it will have between 3 and 5% signal strength :D 

Also, @Galileo, I think something might be a tad wrong with solar power at Gael...

vedEZXG.jpg

Why do I have what looks like a kitty carrying a poptart with a rainbow fart trailing behind him????

mVeFz8i.png

Is this some kind of April fools joke from one of my mods or GPP???

11 minutes ago, Tuko said:

Why do I have what looks like a kitty carrying a poptart with a rainbow fart trailing behind him????

mVeFz8i.png

Is this some kind of April fools joke from one of my mods or GPP???

Not us. But it is a prank :)

5 hours ago, eddiew said:

Putting my remarks in a spoiler for those who want to find out for themselves.

Spoiler

Sounds like you have let TWP use its default 100km destination orbit,  Insertion dv may be just a bit smaller if you use, say, a 450000000km orbit. :)   The SOI is 500Gm, and covers a good chunk of the space between Grannus's periapsis and Leto's orbit.  In fact, with such a huge SOI, you could aim for an encounter at the closest part of the SOI which perhaps would probably cut hundreds of years off the travel time.    It should probably take only a thousand or so dv from there to get into orbit.  It will be a really, really high orbit, with a very long period, but it should be doable.  Getting from a high orbit like that to a lower orbit will, of course, take a massive amount of dv.

I haven't tried it yet, even with Hyperedit, but I think communications will be a problem.  It looks like even the antennas with 1Tm range are going to fall short by quite a bit.

And I wonder if solar panels will work???   Do they only consider distance from the central star, or will they work off light coming from a different source?  For that matter, I wonder if all the thermal calculations work correctly too, especially with non-stock thermal systems such as those in Kerbalism and Deep Freeze?

This will be interesting.

This is in no way a complaint.  Merely an observation based on my experience.  

Spoiler

Just a general note to all the developers:  Trying to keep something like Grannus a secret may be futile due to not being able to use CKAN to do the install.  Since we all must look at the zip file, or the unzipped files, to see which custom mods go where, Grannus sticks out like a saw thumb as soon as you open the zip.  Grannus was obvious a day before I even installed 1.2.0.  And, of course, there's the KSPedia page,,, :wink:

On a somewhat related note, thanks for simplifying the installation process by using MM configs.  

3 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

This is in no way a complaint.  Merely an observation based on my experience.  

Hide contents

Just a general note to all the developers:  Trying to keep something like Grannus a secret may be futile due to not being able to use CKAN to do the install.  Since we all must look at the zip file, or the unzipped files, to see which custom mods go where, Grannus sticks out like a saw thumb as soon as you open the zip.  Grannus was obvious a day before I even installed 1.2.0.  And, of course, there's the KSPedia page,,, :wink:

On a somewhat related note, thanks for simplifying the installation process by using MM configs.  

I didn't know Grannus was supposed to be a secret. When we first toyed with the idea of Grannus, sure, we kept it a secret and we even snuck a teaser somewhere in the thread but i didn't know it was still a secret until I saw @JadeOfMaar ask others to not say anything. 

At this point the cat is out of the bag, though. Especially with contracts popping up in early careers. 

There are a few big things we need to fix. I made some dumb mistakes before release and I'm also still trying to pinpoint this weird visual effect on gas giants. 

Curses. Foiled again! :huh: Yeah the cat (heck, the Nyancat even) is indeed out of the bag.

Well it was supposed to be a secret until release day, at least. Perhaps I ought to have asked "No screenshots until you get there"? Or not ask at all...? :( 

Two things:

1) To the developers:  THANKS!!!  GPP is simply amazing.  It brings new life to KSP.  I can't even imagine playing with the stock planets anymore.  

2) If you're going to play with all the visual effects, and a ton of mods, the memory requirements are huge.  8 GB doesn't really cut it -- this is the bare minimum.  I bought more memory, increasing this computer from 8 to 24 GB.  It needs it.  And that brings me to the real point:  there's a world-wide shortage of memory, which is leading to increasing RAM (and SSD) prices.  This also affects system prices.  Prices are expected to continue to increase through Q3 of 2017.  So if you're thinking of buying more RAM, or a new computer, it's probably a good idea to do it now.  Prices likely will only continue to increase over the next 6 months.

8 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Curses. Foiled again! :huh: Yeah the cat (heck, the Nyancat even) is indeed out of the bag.

Well it was supposed to be a secret until release day, at least. Perhaps I ought to have asked "No screenshots until you get there"? Or not ask at all...? :( 

Ubf48Xa.jpg

Let me start by saying thank you Galileo for this amazing pack :)  It has made KSP more addictive than it already was.

I have a question regarding the install of 1.2. I am running v1.1 with a ton of mods installed and everything is working.

What is the procedure for installing 1.2 over 1.1 and what do i have to do regarding bundled mods? did anything change in the bundled ones that would require an update.

(can i just replace the GPP folder with the new GPP folder?)

thanks again

@Selrinn You can just delete everything that came with 1.1 and install the new stuff. Nearly everything has changed. Just be sure to use the career saver cfg to continue your current career.

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, AG5BPilot said:

2) If you're going to play with all the visual effects, and a ton of mods, the memory requirements are huge.  8 GB doesn't really cut it -- this is the bare minimum.  I bought more memory, increasing this computer from 8 to 24 GB.  It needs it.  And that brings me to the real point:  there's a world-wide shortage of memory, which is leading to increasing RAM (and SSD) prices.  This also affects system prices.  Prices are expected to continue to increase through Q3 of 2017.  So if you're thinking of buying more RAM, or a new computer, it's probably a good idea to do it now.  Prices likely will only continue to increase over the next 6 months.

I don't get why there's a shortage of memory. Memory, as in, the actual memory chips that go onto a RAM stick, GPU or HDD/SSD?

Speaking, I'm looking to buy 8GB (2x 4GB) RAM to upgrade my secondary PC from 8GB (4x 2GB) to 12GB. Or a new PSU for my main PC because it cuts out under load now. I finally cracked and turned texture quality down to medium in one of my test-bed KSP so I can raise my frame size to 1920x1080 (from 1600x900) and not have the page file > 80% full. :( This means frame rate to celebrate but the planets look dusty and dull in map view.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, AG5BPilot said:

The added memory for any of the used mods is very small, the core of the RAM increase is from the planet textures and users with lower amounts of memory just need to lower the texture quality.

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I don't get why there's a shortage of memory. Memory, as in, the actual memory chips that go onto a RAM stick, GPU or HDD/SSD?

Speaking, I'm looking to buy 8GB (2x 4GB) RAM to upgrade my secondary PC from 8GB (4x 2GB) to 12GB. Or a new PSU for my main PC because it cuts out under load now. I finally cracked and turned texture quality down to medium in one of my test-bed KSP so I can raise my frame size to 1920x1080 (from 1600x900) and not have the page file > 80% full. :( 

The shortage is due to the shrinkage of the PC market. Less demand for PCs = less supply of PC components = rising costs of ram and storage. Glad I got everything when I did. 

Edited by Galileo

9 minutes ago, Tynrael said:

The added memory for any of the used mods is very small, the core of the RAM increase is from the planet textures and users with lower amounts of memory just need to lower the texture quality.

I just added that to my post above. Memory usage is quite tolerable now after doing so. Frame rate is up for me but the planets are washed out now.

I had decided to start a new career with 1.2.2, playing a different type of game this time.  I'm adding life support (Kerbalism), Outpost building (Kerbal Planetary Base Systems), and since you recommend it so highly, Karbonite.  Not sure if I'm adding fun or tedium here.  All those features sound like fun, but which do I want to do, explore new worlds, or simulate real space flight challenges?  Decisions, decisions...

First let me say that there's something broken in my install.  It worked fine with the basics (Kopernicus, GPP 1.2.0, and the bundled eye candy mods), but once I added my ~100 normal mods plus the new ones mentioned above, something broke.  Not sure what yet, but a few clearly aren't working and there's some magenta showing, so something broke.  Therefore, take the following with a grain of salt.  Some of it could be due to whatever is broken, although I don't think so.

First of all, solar panels work as expected near Grannus.  Very cool.  Nice job.  

Kerbalism seems to have a problem with Grannus, in that if you let it use its own antenna processing, there appears to be no signal strength combining, so none of the antennas can reach Grannus.  I tried turning of Kerbalism signal processing in the config, but it's unclear exactly what that did as at least some of the stock behavior isn't working as intended.  So just a warning to everyone:  as is, Kerbalism has an antenna problem with regards to Grannus.

I can't help but think that Grannus needs some natural satellites around it.  It looks so lonely way out there, all by itself. :)

Word of caution:  Don't accidently leave off a zero or three when you Hyperedit into orbit around Grannus. :)

With a little bit of adjusting to its selection criteria, TWP claims you can get from a 1000 km Gael orbit to a very high Grannus orbit with about a 3 or 4 km/s departure burn and 300-400 dv for orbital insertion.  That's for a Grannus orbit several times higher than Gael is from Cirus.  So transfer dv isn't unreasonable.  It's the 700 year transit time that may be problematic.