[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I also find it odd that a belt exists between Gael and Tellumo, but neither planet has any trojan asteroids.

The game could also be reflecting the observability bias - larger asteroids are much easier to see. Up to a point, this over-rides the actual size distribution. 

The primary belt is setup just like in the stock system: a very sparse, unbridled thing wrapped all around Kerbin's orbit. If I had known of the possibility of goldilocks planets having trojan asteroids I'd have setup Gael and Tellumo accordingly. All I think I need are the range(s) for MeanAnomaly (spawn arc limit), Inclination and SMA. Then @OhioBob provides the size curves and that's that. :) 

21 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@JadeOfMaar Did something change with the 1.2.x update regarding the decals? Below is the MM config I was using, but my decals seem to have disappeared? The folder's in the right place.

Your config should look like this now. Compare structure against GPP/GPP_Configs/GPP_Decals.cfg in download

@PART[sticker*]:NEEDS[blackheart] //include suffix * to target all decal parts
{
	@title = Place Anywhere Ussari Sticker Type A //Delete line
	@MODEL 
	{
		@texture = placeholder , Ussari //Delete line
		@texture = placeholder , Ussari/flag3a //Item needs to be full path inside GameData + texture name
	}

@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2] //Delete this whole module
	{
		moduleID = 1
		@nextButtonText = Next Stock Flag
		@prevButtonText = Previous Stock Flag
	}

MODULE //Replace whole module with the one after this. You're no longer adding a module but editing it.
	{
		name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 2 
		showListButton = True
		nextButtonText = Next Ussari Flag
		prevButtonText = Previous Ussari Flag
		statusText = Current in Ussari 
		objectNames = stickerflat;sticker125;sticker250;sticker375
		textureRootFolder = Ussari\
		textureNames = flag3a ; flag3b ; ussari ; 8SQEW2a ; gFJz0JO ; wDrSAaq
		textureDisplayNames = Flag1;Flag2;Flag3;BurntFlag;Texture;Wedge
		debugMode = false
		showInfo = false
	}

@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2],2 //Your altered module should look like this. The ,2 is the instance number, from 0, in an array of concurrent modules
	{
		@nextButtonText = Next Ussari Flag
		@prevButtonText = Previous Ussari Flag
		@statusText = Current in Ussari
		@textureRootFolder = Ussari\
		@textureNames = flag3a ; flag3b ; ussari ; 8SQEW2a ; gFJz0JO ; wDrSAaq
		@textureDisplayNames = Flag1;Flag2;Flag3;BurntFlag;Texture;Wedge
	}
}

//insert this section just to rename the decal parts. Your flag settings will be inherited by all of them.
@PART[sticker]:NEEDS[blackheart]
{
	@title = Place Anywhere Ussari Sticker Type A
}

@PART[stickerv]:NEEDS[blackheart]
{
	@title = Place Anywhere Ussari Sticker Type B
}

@PART[stickermini]:NEEDS[blackheart]
{
	@title = Place Anywhere Mini Ussari Sticker
}

@PART[stickerbig]:NEEDS[blackheart]
{
	@title = Place Anywhere Big Ussari Sticker
}

//Delete these. They're now bloated and redundant
@PART[stickerv]:NEEDS[blackheart]
{
	@title = Place Anywhere Ussari Sticker Type B
	@MODEL 
	{
		@texture = placeholder , Ussari
	}

@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]
	{
		moduleID = 1
		@nextButtonText = Next Ussari Flag
		@prevButtonText = Previous Ussari Flag
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 2
		showListButton = True
		objectNames = stickerflat;sticker125;sticker250;sticker375
		debugMode = false
		showInfo = false
	}
}

@PART[stickermini]:NEEDS[blackheart]
{
	@title = Place Anywhere Mini GPP Sticker
	@MODEL 
	{
		@texture = placeholder , Ussari
	}

@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]
	{
		moduleID = 1
		@nextButtonText = Next Stock Flag
		@prevButtonText = Previous Stock Flag
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 2
		showListButton = True
		objectNames = stickerflat;stickerh;stickerv
		debugMode = false
		showInfo = false
	}
}

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Any sufficiently massive body (basically the clear orbit threshold) can and likely will have Trojan objects. Larger, more distant planets just often have more of them. Tellumo is easily large enough - in fact I don't think most of the belt would even be stable unless it was in some sort of resonance with Tellumo, especially with Gael being a large body in its own right. 

We have already found one Earth Trojan - 2010TK7

Edited by MaxL_1023

I am just wondering - would it make sense to add a few minor tweaks to the tech tree to go along with rescaled systems? It would make sense to put 2.5m parts a little earlier, along with some basic adapters. Getting to orbit in 10.6257x with a 1.25m stack gets a little bit sketchy, especially early-ish in the game. Even with SMURFF on full, the mass/cross section relation makes the rockets impractically tall. 

@Danilka, the apparent size of a star at a distance is control by brightnessCurve in its configuration file.  We rewrote brightnessCurve for both Ciro and Grannus to make them appear smaller when viewed from great distance (that's what Galileo wanted).  If you want to undo that, you'll have to edit the configs.  You can always try using the stock brightnessCurve shown below.  If you don't like how that looks, then the only other option it to try writing your own brightnessCurve to get it looking the way you want it.

brightnessCurve
				{
					key = -0.01573471 0.217353 1.706627 1.706627
					key = 5.084181 3.997075 -0.001802375 -0.001802375
					key = 38.56295 1.82142 0.0001713 0.0001713
				}

2 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Wouldn't Grannus be at least as bright as the full moon given its mass and location? Something with 45% of the Sun's mass is no proxima centauri.

All that can be done to make it look brighter is to make the sun flare bigger.  But Galileo thought the stock sun flare was too big and looked somewhat cartoonish, so we reduced it.  It's at its current size because that's the size Galileo wanted it to be.  It would be nice if we could make it brighter without making it bigger, but I don't know of any way to do that.

KIS/KAS and Surface Experiment Pack. Making Engineers great again (or useful for the first time). I might have been a little too organized with the layout of the experiments compared to the rest of the construction...

EN3s45u.jpg

I am trying to balance contracts from the old Historic Mission Pack against GPP. To do that I need knowledge about the science multipliers of celestial bodies here.

Where can I find that numbers? The cfg files only give detailed information for each situation. But which of them accounts for the rewards calculation, which sems to behave like that:

reward = reward in contract file * prestige * celestial body value

Prestige:

Trivial       1.00
Significant   1.25
Exceptional   1.50

On 16/04/2017 at 4:56 PM, MaxL_1023 said:

There might be some researchbodies related configuration changes still in place - I don't think deleting the mod would undo anything it changes elsewhere. Have you tried re-installing GPP 1.2.2? Your saves will be fine - they are stored in a different location. 

Also, holy crap - it takes more delta-V to reach a slightly inclined, 70,000km x 50,000 km Gael orbit and return than it takes to get into orbit of Iota and back! Damn you Oberth effect!

At least the rescue contract didn't involve an orbit inside the atmosphere!

So I experimented a little - I took out every mod leaving just the Squad folder, started a new game and asteroids were there in the Kerbin system. Then I added a fresh install of GPP, Kopernicus & ModularFlight, started a new game and no asteroids. Tested in all 3 game modes and still nothing. I'll try reinstalling KSP as well and will report back!

On 16.4.2017 at 8:54 PM, OhioBob said:

I'm sure that was probably the reasoning behind creating the default curve.  In real life, however, asteroids don't follow that type of distribution.  There are many things in nature were quantity increases exponentially with smaller size.  There are far more ants in the world than elephants, and far more microbes than ants.  We also see this with stars, where low-mass red dwarfs far outnumber the more massive stellar types.  The largest O-type stars are the most rare.

Im not sure that the stars are good example here because the big ones have the shortest lifespan and many of them degenerate to dwarf classes. If we talk about overcome on dwarf stars in universum we literally say "look how many corpses are flying there"

We don't see so many big ones because they are gone before we evolved far enough to define wich ones are big or smal. But if you look at younger star birthplaces you see a overcome on giant ones. The main strang stars are rarity there and dwarfs are as rare as none present.

Don't you think so?

Urses 

In this case, "Dwarf" means a low mass, main-sequence star. There are many, many more of them than any other stellar-mass object, both as a function of their long lifetimes (nothing under about 0.8 solar masses has had time to reach the post-main sequence stage yet - the universe is only about 35% older than the Sun's projected main sequence lifetime) and the abundance of low mass protostellar clouds forming from the natural fractal-type behavior of disturbed star forming regions (think stirring a huge gas cloud with a supernova shockwave). Brown dwarfs may be even more common (all the way down to planetary mass), but most are too dim to see unless they are orbiting something else (and can be detected indirectly) or very, very close by. 

"Stellar Corpses" are degenerate objects such as white dwarfs and Neutron stars - there are quite a few of these (more of the former) but they are still relatively rare due to the relative rarity of their founding population. Only a certain range of stellar objects have been able to form white dwarfs or Neutron stars - the very largest collapse into black holes or undergo pair-instability supernovae which blow the stars apart completely. 

I have something strange happening in my career save, I landed on Iota and Ceti, however now the only exploration contracts I get are for Grannus… This is a big step up going from Gael SOI to Grannus imho.

Is it an issue with GPP contracts progression, or is it a KSP bug?

Edited by slubman

31 minutes ago, Ed_ said:

So I experimented a little - I took out every mod leaving just the Squad folder, started a new game and asteroids were there in the Kerbin system. Then I added a fresh install of GPP, Kopernicus & ModularFlight, started a new game and no asteroids. Tested in all 3 game modes and still nothing. I'll try reinstalling KSP as well and will report back!

Completely fresh install of KSP and GPP, ran a new game forward for several years, still no unknown objects appearing. I definitely remember seeing stacks of asteroids in previous versions of GPP, so I'm at a complete loss here!

1 minute ago, Ed_ said:

Completely fresh install of KSP and GPP, ran a new game forward for several years, still no unknown objects appearing. I definitely remember seeing stacks of asteroids in previous versions of GPP, so I'm at a complete loss here!

They probably aren't working for whatever reason. We will either revert to our old cfg or come up with new ones. @JadeOfMaar have you seen this behavior?

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

They probably aren't working for whatever reason. We will either revert to our old cfg or come up with new ones. @JadeOfMaar have you seen this behavior?

Maybe I have. Delete and reinstall Kopernicus or its cache (wherever that is) might help. Making a new save should help in many cases too but I doubt it'll work here (on an already new game).

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I keep designing Iota and Ceti landers as if they were going to the Moon in RSS - I always end up over-designing my rockets because of their lighter gravity. The moon in RSS needs about 2500m/s of delta-V to land safely - Ceti in 10.6257x needs ~1750 and Iota under 1500!

Of course, Gratian is Mars on steroids and Tellumo basically impossible (challenge issued!) so I guess that makes up for it. 

1 hour ago, slubman said:

I have something strange happening in my career save, I landed on Iota and Ceti, however now the only exploration contracts I get are for Grannus… This is a big step up going from Gael SOI to Grannus imho.

Is it an issue with GPP contracts progression, or is it a KSP bug?

It may be a KSP bug. Due to how Flight Globals are set, Grannus truly should be the last thing that contracts appear for, and yet those contracts appear as soon as they do. A similar bug is the one where Ore requests from Ciro appear, even though Ciro is the Sun, and it's been double-blacklisted in a config file (as Sun and as Ciro) just as any planet mod does for any gas giant it adds to the game.

2 hours ago, New Horizons said:

I am trying to balance contracts from the old Historic Mission Pack against GPP. To do that I need knowledge about the science multipliers of celestial bodies here.

Where can I find that numbers? The cfg files only give detailed information for each situation. But which of them accounts for the rewards calculation, which sems to behave like that:

reward = reward in contract file * prestige * celestial body value

Prestige:

Trivial       1.00
Significant   1.25
Exceptional   1.50

I'd like to be able to answer that but as far as I know, your best bet is to use the recovery value number. I don't think science information is stored anywhere else in a planet's config.

3 hours ago, Tynrael said:

KIS/KAS and Surface Experiment Pack. Making Engineers great again (or useful for the first time). I might have been a little too organized with the layout of the experiments compared to the rest of the construction...

EN3s45u.jpg

i watched this episode earlier today. It's amusing that you attached those batteries willy nilly like that. :D 

@MaxL_1023 your discoveries crack me up, dude. All the time...

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

All that can be done to make it look brighter is to make the sun flare bigger.  But Galileo thought the stock sun flare was too big and looked somewhat cartoonish, so we reduced it.  It's at its current size because that's the size Galileo wanted it to be.  It would be nice if we could make it brighter without making it bigger, but I don't know of any way to do that.

Adjusting the AU value affects the apparent size of the sunflare. Inflating it by a marginal amount and tuning the color for a little whiteness should work.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

One other thing - it seems like flags on Gael randomly explode in 10.6257x. First it was Jeb, then it was Bob - can a Kerbal mark his landing site without requiring impromptu pyrotechnics??!! (Probably just an unavoidable issue with rescaling, but wondering if anybody else has run into it - Iota, Ceti, Niven, Thalia and Icarus are fine - have not gotten anywhere else yet in 10x+).

I used to stream, but my computer can't handle the awesomeness of rescaled GPP and the demands of Twitch at the same time. It looks like I am playing a slideshow.

Turns out I can't even watch Twitch without screwing everything up - FML. 

@MaxL_1023 Apparently exploding flags is a thing, the kerbal dies and becomes an unusable statuette from 100+ G...and the game becomes unstable. :/ This is quite serious.

Fortunately, actually, the kerbal was recovered (it was tested near the KSC) and Rocket's game was due for a restart (open for 6 hours)

Edited by JadeOfMaar