[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Quick question: I've started playing around with some Thalia transfers using MechJeb's porkchop plotter (6.4x). I'm getting single-burn from LGO values around 4100m/s, which seems right, but playing with a node at the (projected) encounter, I'm getting like 7km/s plus just to capture.

Whaaaaaat?? 

Is that right for this scale? The transfer orbit does look a little less than ideal...

I'm guessing your exit burn should be 5km/s and your insert burn around 3km/s. Something is definitely wrong. Is the marker in your porkchop planner not in the dark blue? Or is it in the dark blue in a bad time frame?

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm guessing your exit burn should be 5km/s and your insert burn around 3km/s. Something is definitely wrong. Is the marker in your porkchop planner not in the dark blue? Or is it in the dark blue in a bad time frame?

It's in the dark blue. The time frame is less than ideal, but 7+ km/s seems a bit excessive. I could have sworn I mocked it up before and it came out around 3.5km/s on both ends.

Hello @Galileo @JadeOfMaar and the rest of the team. I'm continuing to enjoy this planet pack a ton, although work and other RL issues mean that I'm not able to play as much as I'd like the's days. 

While not placing any pressure on you whatsoever, is there any estimated timeframe for GPP being updated to 1.3? The only reason I ask is that i haven't tried GPP 1.2.3 yet, and I'd like to give it a go. I'm weighing whether to create a new KSP 1.2.2 install for GPP 1.2.3, or wondering if I should simply wait a little while until a version compatible with 1.3 comes out.  Once again, no pressure - just trying to chart a path for maximum GPP appreciation while minimizing new installation pain in my highly modded 10.6257x career.

@Norcalplanner it will be soon. Slowly but surely, dependencies are updating and we are updating as quickly as we can to catch up to the changes. Some guys are on hiatus and some are busy with RL so the going has been a little slower than usual, but it's getting done :) 

@Galileo thanks for the update. Sounds like I'll keep on trucking with my GPP 1.2.2 install for now, then jump to KSP 1.3 and the new version of GPP at the same time.

I give you my word that I'll keep my Kerbals away from Icarus and Thalia until I switch to the new version of GPP. :-)

Hey peeps, quick question; is there any plan to make a career-breaking change in the next GPP, or is the solar system layout to stay fixed and it's "just" that the configs need rewriting?

2 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Hey peeps, quick question; is there any plan to make a career-breaking change in the next GPP, or is the solar system layout to stay fixed and it's "just" that the configs need rewriting?

Nothing will be broken really, unless you have a ton of bases on the surface of bodies. KSP changed the PQSMods library so the new terrain features I added last update were destroyed. I had to rewrite them all again, multiple times. So the terrain will be different once more, but closer to what is was prior to 1.2.3.

we also decided to move ahead and delete the CareerSaver cfg from the download, so if you are playing a career that started pre- GPP 1.2, you will have to use the CareerSaver from the older versions. 

But any vessels in route some where or in orbit will be fine.

Cheers @Galileo, just wanted to check. I think I'm going to have a go at rebalancing the tech tree and kicking off a new career - wanted to be sure I wasn't going to have things on the surface of Grannus again (even with career saver!). I've finally accepted that I'm really not a one for surface bases, so if I have landers they'll be temporary and I just need to bring them home before updating :)  

(My plan is to stretch the back end of community tech tree, increasing the costs of later tiers with a multiplier so that the deeper you get, the bigger the difference between your current tier and the next will get. Last time I kind of had all things by the time I was sending stuff to Gauss, and it means missing out on a lot of the low-mid modded parts completely. I want to encourage reasons to do a mission or two with every level of part :))

((If anyone can tell me how to declare a config variable to act as a tune-able scaling factor, I'd be most grateful!))

On 6/9/2017 at 1:44 AM, Luovahulluus said:

The best I've come up with so far would be to create a sphere in a 3D software and put some stars on the inside surface. Then create a plane with a galaxy texture and the central bulge shape, place it inside the sphere just below the centerpoint and then render the 6 projections from that. Sounds like a lot of work…

Edit: Now that I try to visualize it in my head, I don't think the projections could be rendered like that. I'd need a cube instead of the sphere and then project the galaxy plane on the sides of the cube. Then extract the 6 sides from the scene. Does anybody know which software could do that?

This can be easily done in space engine, just move to the spot of choice, and press escape and there will be an option to export skybox in cube map format

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

(My plan is to stretch the back end of community tech tree, increasing the costs of later tiers with a multiplier so that the deeper you get, the bigger the difference between your current tier and the next will get. Last time I kind of had all things by the time I was sending stuff to Gauss, and it means missing out on a lot of the low-mid modded parts completely. I want to encourage reasons to do a mission or two with every level of part :))

((If anyone can tell me how to declare a config variable to act as a tune-able scaling factor, I'd be most grateful!))

I can PM you a concept MM patch that can possibly do just this, or if anyone else is interested I can post it in a spoiler here or in another relevant thread.

I seem to being having an issue. I installed the mod into a 1.2.2 install as per the instructions, but for some reason the planets don't load. Sometimes I get an infinite loading screen. Where have I gone wrong? Here's what my GameData folder looks like:

GPP

Kopernicus

ModularFlightIntegrator

Squad

ModuleManager 2.8.0

4 minutes ago, superpowasonik said:

I seem to being having an issue. I installed the mod into a 1.2.2 install as per the instructions, but for some reason the planets don't load. Sometimes I get an infinite loading screen. Where have I gone wrong? Here's what my GameData folder looks like:

GPP

Kopernicus

ModularFlightIntegrator

Squad

ModuleManager 2.8.0

You didn't follow instructions. 

Only use the Kopernicus, MM  and module flight integrator included in the download.

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

You didn't follow instructions. 

Only use the Kopernicus, MM  and module flight integrator included in the download.

Ah okay, I'll try again and see if anything changes.

11 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

This can be easily done in space engine, just move to the spot of choice, and press escape and there will be an option to export skybox in cube map format

Space Engine looks like a super cool program! I'm definitely going to install it out once I have some time. Thanks!

I am having a bit of trouble building a craft with enough Delta-V to sending either a manned or unmanned missions to Icarus and home again.  Can anyone share any spacecraft ideas to help.  I have managed to break out of the Gael SOI and get to Icarus/Thalia (not back) but this is currently as far as my adventures have gotten me, so would like some examples of what craft people generally use to get out and back from deeper space..... 

We have quite a handful of those guys here. :D I'm sure you'll get a swift answer. @Pinchy

astroheiko, Norcalplanner, MaxL_1023, eddiew and Luovahullus come to mind, :wink: most of whom play upscaled or otherwise super hard GPP games. You may need to specify whether ISRU is an option or not.

36 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

We have quite a handful of those guys here. :D I'm sure you'll get a swift answer. @Pinchy

astroheiko, Norcalplanner, MaxL_1023, eddiew and Luovahullus come to mind, :wink: most of whom play upscaled or otherwise super hard GPP games. You may need to specify whether ISRU is an option or not.

Yes ISRU is of course an option - I am more than happy to collect resources from planetary visits.  I have installed most of the optional mods (near future technologies), Karbonite / Argon Gas/Xenon etc.......

Although I have not yet unlocked the full tech tree - so haven't unlocked beyond the "539" science values....

1 hour ago, Pinchy said:

Yes ISRU is of course an option - I am more than happy to collect resources from planetary visits.  I have installed most of the optional mods (near future technologies), Karbonite / Argon Gas/Xenon etc.......

Although I have not yet unlocked the full tech tree - so haven't unlocked beyond the "539" science values....

I think the best route is to not worry about coming back until you have better technology unlocked. In my modded 3.2x GPP career, Niven was the only planet my Kerbals set foot on and then returned to Gael using stock-ish technology and parts. Orbital ISRU refueling using exospheric Karbonite is a huge thing, as is atmospheric flight using Karbonite jet engines. For what it's worth, I was only able to get Kerbals to Icarus and back once Karborundum was available. Because I play with life support, it doesn't make sense to do multiple gravity assists when Kerbals are on board.

2 hours ago, Pinchy said:

I am having a bit of trouble building a craft with enough Delta-V to sending either a manned or unmanned missions to Icarus and home again.  Can anyone share any spacecraft ideas to help.  I have managed to break out of the Gael SOI and get to Icarus/Thalia (not back) but this is currently as far as my adventures have gotten me, so would like some examples of what craft people generally use to get out and back from deeper space..... 

tl;dr:  Use ISRU plus advanced ion or nuclear engines from one of several mods.

I just sent some craft to Icarus that are capable of returning.to Gael.  While merely getting to Icarus for a one-way trip was easy enough (the upper stage was an asparagus style LV-N setup), getting back requires ISRU unless you're going to build something huge to carry all the propellant for the return trip.  For this kerballed two way mission I'm using Near Future Propulsion's LF-9 Magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters.  The lander is set up to mine ore, and the stock ISRU can extract lithium from the ore.  The ISRU can optionally be docked to either the station or the lander.  The lander has enough DV to get up and down with a full load of ore without needing to refine the ore, unless it needs to do a large plane change to get to the landing site.  If necessary, it can take the ISRU down to the surface and refuel itself instead of just carrying ore up to the station.  As far as ISRU is concerned, Icarus is pretty friendly.  Gravity is fairly low for a planet and there's no atmosphere to worry about.  Refueling is easy, especially with the high ISP of ion engines.

Oddly enough, even though it's going to Icarus, this ship (station, lander, and 2x Gael-Icarus crew transfer vessels) has only a few contingency solar panels since it's got nuclear reactors to power the big ion engines.  I also don't want to get caught in a bad situation on the surface where something is blocking the solar panels and there's no electricity to power the radiators.  So almost everything is nuclear powered.

The station/lab itself doesn't have any engines.  For the trip, two crew transfer vessels and the lander all dock at the station facing in the same direction, and their ion engines provide the propulsion for the trip.  The lander is docked on the station's centerline while the crew transfer vehicles are docked in the outrigger positions on the sides.  Eventually the crew modules can undock and return to Gael on their own while the station and lander remain at Icarus.

I've gotten a crew to Thalia and back without ISRU and using NFT + stock parts. The most important thing was use of nuclear engines as their ISP is so high. I used an engine from PorkJet's Atomic Age mod.

Another thing that helped me a lot is that I pre-positioned my lander and lander fuel plus extra life support Supplies in Thalia orbit using an unmanned craft. This saved a lot of mass on my crewed craft. 

Edited by Tyko

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, Sokar408 said:

Got some weird graphical artifacts, not mention a rough transition of textures on decent. Also just is the terrain of Iota suppose to be very pointy? (second picture)

YdmmauX.png

Ztm8MBk.png

Hi, I have the same issue with really uneven pointy terrain on Iota.  It does not lend itself very nicely to ground bases.

I really liked the terrain features on Iota, including the flat sections to land bases on and use for MKS resource generation.  After the update, I used SCANSAT and did not find a single area to develop.  The slope display was almost completely yellow (very high slope)

Will this be the new normal for Iota?

@Pinchy, I'm not sure I can be of much help here, but I'm still going to offer my 0.02€. 

In my GPP game I've concentrated more on the visual appearance and then just 'add moar boosters' to get things into orbit… Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is a must for most of my creations. My game settings are not that hard, so this is a possible way of doing things.

If I was playing a harder game, as I have in the past, I would first design the return vehicle as light as possible using nukes/ion engines. Then a light lander that you leave in Thalia/Icarus orbit, if you plan to go to the surface. Add more boosters! Maybe refuel on one of Gaels moons before going interplanetary.

I am sorry to have to ask about the "Explore Grannus" mission. I couldn't find an answer to this by searching (except for someone saying it will be fixed in one of the coming updates). Has it been fixed in GPP 1.2.3? Because that's my current install.

Is there any way to skip that contract? It turns up just after I finished my last Ceti-mission. I managed to get another Ceti-mission (Docking) instead of "Explore Grannus" but I'm afraid it will show up again after I finish the docking-mission.

Thanks for this wonderful mod! Loving it! KSP really feels like a new game since I started my GPP-career!

@Pinchy a little more background on how I achieved Thalia and back without ISRU...found a pic of the ship.

Front to back you've got NF command, Lab, PorkJet inflatable hab, USI-LS cans, docking facilities with USI-LS greenhouses above and below. The neck section with the reaction wheels, RCS and Senior docking ports - the craft was launched in two pieces and unfueled. The pieces were mated in orbit. Behind that you have a lot of liquid fuel, the 5m main tank plus the two conical tanks held ~25000 units of LF. The little red tanks were for spare LFO for landers (I left them empty for the Thalia trip).

PorkJet's lightbulb engine has a vacuum ISP of 1500 giving the ship ~14000 d/v. This was more than enough to complete a round trip to Thalia. It was overbuilt because this ship was built to go just about anywhere in the solar system.

hsM0hBt.png

Let me know if you need more ship design help. Feel free to PM me if you want.

TJ