[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@Urses Looks like I read your mind. I anticipated the likelihood of a Tellumo-aligned Tech Tree. Definitely, certain things would need to be in their proper place for smooth and consistent tech progression on a high gee world. Inventing a tech tree would be a very great undertaking (but then, so was GPP itself).

20 minutes ago, eggzy said:

Fair enough. I understand that as it's got more to load and all. Welp thanks for the help and spending the time with a novice such as myself@Galileo . I guess I'll have to wait for the new stick to arrive. 

If I might make this comment - when I ran GPP with the mod list I have and task manager open, it shows the RAM usage in the mid 70s while the GPU spikes from 0 to 100 (real quick) and then it seems like the system backs up and crashes. Would it be wrong to theorize that my older GPU simply can't take the work load and that's where the issue is originating? If so would simply adding a new stick of RAM even sort the problem then?

Is the ram usage in the 70’s for only KSP? You still have to consider background applications that are also utilizing ram. GPUs can be pushed to 100% and still be fine. Stressed, but fine. More Ram will definitely help. 

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Is the ram usage in the 70’s for only KSP? You still have to consider background applications that are also utilizing ram.

No that includes all applications running together. It spikes to the low 90s when changing screens from the VAB or SAH to their coresponding launch areas. I still think you're correct in stating the need for more RAM though. There's no real logical explanation for the crashing otherwise and I don't want to remove mods that pretty up the game as I'd like to post some nice screen grabs for y'all to comment on when I get the career matured in the coming weeks!

1 hour ago, Kottalos said:

I'm not sure if the dev is aware of that nor if it can be modified, but the asteroids supposed to spawn witihin Nero's rings have the wrong inclination: they are aligned with Ciro's ecliptic. Is a fix planned ?

Already done.

Finally got back to making my new KSP install for 1.3.1, building a career around a 10.625x RESCALE of GPP with SMURFF, FAR, everything Nertea and RoverDude, and... wow. This is going to hurt. Jeb didn't die on his first suborbital trip, even though he spent a good 20 seconds with the G-meter maxed out. Thankfully he woke up in time to deploy the chutes. Maybe I should have unlocked airplane parts so I could get local-ish funding and science, because right now I've barely topped 7-8k delta-V on my launch vehicle (depending on ascent profile). Right now, the largest tanks I've got are FLT-400's, which means I hit the 30 part count limit, while being short of funds to upgrade VAB and short of science to upgrade rocket tech.

Oddly, KSP crashed the first couple of times I ran it with this setup, maybe had something to do with whatever Sigma fixed in Dimensions yesterday, since it's working now.

But if I can get to orbit, I'm already half way to everywhere, right?

Right?! *starts biting nails*

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

@Galileo u got experience with sigma dimension and kopernicus, they allow the creation of planets right? So could they allow for the creation of surfaces on top of surfaces? Maybe not over whole planets but in particular areas? It's for a mod I want to make

If you're looking to place very large artificial objects onto terrain, you're looking at making assets (including anomalies) for Kerbal Konstructs.

13 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I want to make lava tubes and caves among other things

Caves and lava tubes aren’t possible with KSP/Kopernicus and the PQS system it uses. The closest thing you will see is the “cave” model on Tylo

Edited by Galileo

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

have you tried? If yes then I'll rest my case and focus on figuring out what to use to make my parts mod

No, but I know what kopernicus is capable of doing and what you are asking is not possible. If you would like, take your question over to the kopernicus thread if you don’t trust my answer.

Edited by Galileo

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

despite a load of setbacks.

With first aero tech unlocked, I realized all my Gael contracts are clustered together several thousand kilometers away, like, from all the possible launch sites. Valentina's little airplane has a speed of 260 m/s. I can collect science over some biomes along the way, but it's a real travel time of hours to get to the actual mission sites. Ermagersh! It's kind of awesome. I usually just skip Kerbin-based missions because, meh, who cares? But now that getting places quickly is a problem, it needs to be solved. :D

3 hours ago, doctruscott said:

Hi, i encountered a possible bug. after the 3rd or 4th upgrade of the SPH runway a building appears at the end of the runway, this also just happens to be where the planes spawn on the runway. is there some fix for this?

AD5F621F8EA80BCAED807A8B1D10BBDD87CF87B2

This is not a bug anyone else has reported and isn’t in my personal career so check your install and perhaps reinstall kerbal konstructs. I'd imagine if it was an actual bug with GPP we would have been swamped with reports of this. 

Looks like you are using Rescale and Sigma Dimensions. You are missing a key part for kerbal Konstructs to work right with with a rescaled system. I would go look at the Rescale thread OP for the answer to you question. The link is in my signature.

Edited by Galileo

18 hours ago, Poodmund said:

On the contrary, tidal locking of a satellite to its primary body is exceedingly common: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking

Amusing thing is I'm quite aware of tidal locking, but for some reason had never walked through it in my head to realize that a tidally locked body has to rotate exactly once per orbital period. Thanks for pointing that out (and to the other people who answered)

10 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Iota, not Ceti. :wink: Speaking of, I want to measure the time and regularity that it's eclipsed by Gael and mention that on our wiki.

BZZZZZT we're both wrong :) I had a typo on Ceti, it's not 23.15, it's 63.15. Iota is 22.94. 

On 10/30/2017 at 3:13 PM, captinjoehenry said:

I am conflicted between liking and disliking the amount of biomes on Gaels moons.  I like it as it limits how much science I can get from the home system but I dislike it for exactly the same reason.

I just flew this to Ceti, less of a first landing, more of an invasion. Four two-man landers, each with a scientist riding side saddle and numerous one-use experiments doubled for multiple landings. I hit all five biomes plus did a three-star contract to do certain experiments on the ground at four locations. I've landed one with the other three inbound from Ceti, and I'm at 2500 science and there has to be 1k or so still loaded each on the three still inbound. That seems to be a reasonable science haul. But the point was the challenge of designing a good solid-flying launcher for a payload that tall, and then dropping those landers onto three different orbits and landing them at 8 locations (4 on the dark side) and then fly them back out with all of them hitting reentry one after another.

BTW, anyone noticed that the Omicron dual mode engine is almost one engine to rule them all, at least for LFO? ASL 275 Vac 355 and infinitely resizable in the editor. Both these landers and the stage that got them here are using different sizes of the Omicron.

yv2JIBE.png

GXmES0x.png

TvPMmyC.png

1 minute ago, vossiewulf said:

I just flew this to Ceti, less of a first landing, more of an invasion. Four two-man landers, each with a scientist riding side saddle and numerous one-use experiments doubled for multiple landings. I hit all five biomes plus did a three-star contract to do certain experiments on the ground at four locations. I've landed one with the other three inbound from Ceti, and I'm at 2500 science and there has to be 1k or so still loaded each on the three still inbound. That seems to be a reasonable science haul. But the point was the challenge of designing a good solid-flying launcher for a payload that tall, and then dropping those landers onto three different orbits and landing them at 8 locations (4 on the dark side) and then fly them back out with all of them hitting reentry one after another.

BTW, anyone noticed that the Omicron dual mode engine is almost one engine to rule them all, at least for LFO? ASL 275 Vac 355 and infinitely resizable in the editor. Both these landers and the stage that got them here are using different sizes of the Omicron.

yv2JIBE.png

GXmES0x.png

TvPMmyC.png

I see your Omicron engine and raise you the RS-25 Space Shuttle engine!  1844 kN at 366 ISP at sea level, 2279 kN at 452.3 ISP vacuum with a measly weight 3.39t in a fully scalable 2.5m base size.  Admittedly it is for real scale systems but meh :P  I honestly find myself looking for other engines to use as it makes life too easy at times.

Do note though that I use the real scale Sea Dragon for launching huge fully assembled space stations as it is rated for 500t to low earth orbit XD

6 minutes ago, captinjoehenry said:

I see your Omicron engine and raise you the RS-25 Space Shuttle engine!  1844 kN at 366 ISP at sea level, 2279 kN at 452.3 ISP vacuum with a measly weight 3.39t in a fully scalable 2.5m base size.  Admittedly it is for real scale systems but meh :P  I honestly find myself looking for other engines to use as it makes life too easy at times.

Do note though that I use the real scale Sea Dragon for launching huge fully assembled space stations as it is rated for 500t to low earth orbit XD

Yeah but that's Hydrolox, needs giant fuel tanks :) And I do the same, I have a zillion engines and I try to use them, but when it comes to landers at least the Omicron is nearly perfect: it's short, and you can load out your lander and at the end dynamically resize it to exactly the TWR you want at an ISP of 355.

What mod has a Sea Dragon? I want to launch it from KSC :)

1 minute ago, vossiewulf said:

Yeah but that's Hydrolox, needs giant fuel tanks :) And I do the same, I have a zillion engines and I try to use them, but when it comes to landers at least the Omicron is nearly perfect: it's short, and you can load out your lander and at the end dynamically resize it to exactly the TWR you want at an ISP of 355.

What mod has a Sea Dragon? I want to launch it from KSC :)

Actually the RS-25 that I use uses liquid fuel and oxidizer :D 

Get it here along with a bunch of other glorious real performance engines running off of stock fuels: 

Same guy also made the Sea Dragon!  It's 23m in diameter so it is quite a lot wider than the launch pad and much taller than the VAB!

4 minutes ago, captinjoehenry said:

Actually the RS-25 that I use uses liquid fuel and oxidizer :D 

Get it here along with a bunch of other glorious real performance engines running off of stock fuels: 

Same guy also made the Sea Dragon!  It's 23m in diameter so it is quite a lot wider than the launch pad and much taller than the VAB!

Thanks. And LOL. Need to mount a giant cone-shaped procedural tank on it that narrows down to a single command seat.

KSP%202016-03-27%2021-03-20-19.jpg