[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Just now, vossiewulf said:

Thanks. And LOL. Need to mount a giant cone-shaped procedural tank on it that narrows down to a single command seat.

KSP%202016-03-27%2021-03-20-19.jpg

No kidding!  It's a good thing you already have hanger extender as you'll need it to work with a sea dragon!  Also the first stage and tank is fully recoverable.  Just make sure the first stage engine is charged and inflate the ballute.  As long as it lands in the water you can recover it just fine without any other attachments.  It will probably also survive landing on land but I haven't tested that.

@JadeOfMaar sorry I'm I little late in responding, but in regards to the sabre engine, I am really fascinated by it. It is one of a handful of things that I try to keep tabs on or research in my fleeting moments of spare time. There are a couple of technical questions I have about the design that, as of yet, I can't find the answers to. Overall, I really wish that ksp modeled aircraft engines a bit differently. In fact, I think @Gordon Fecyk's idea on intake air is great for the rapier. It would fit alongside my idea of how ksp engines should work quite nicely.

Just now, kraden said:

Overall, I really wish that ksp modeled aircraft engines a bit differently.

Try Advanced Jet Engines alongside Ferram Aerospace Research. This actually models real world jets, and the game's Rapier air breathing mode, using NASA's EngineSim code in real time. You have to keep intake area under consideration in design, and going too fast not only causes combustion failures but overheating. AJE suggests using FAR as well because the modified engines might feel underpowered in stock aero.

More testing is needed on those compressor parts. Go ahead and grab a pre-release from GitHub. If you have AJE installed it'll ignore the atmCurve hacks I did.

@kraden You had interest in the outcome of my SSTO's performance test in 2.5x. Well here it is. With 2 extra ARI-73 and no WarpJets, the spaceplane manages to take no more 20 tons to low orbit ( < 130km altitude) and have ~ 840m/s dV after circularization. (Before subtracting the ~340m/s for plane matching the equator.) The ascent was pretty sharp most of the way with low reliance on the power of the air-breathing engines, and most reliance on the hybrid LF rockets and their overall TWR. My ablative Water system was not required (didn't pass Mach 6 while in atmosphere), but it's not worth the effort to take out the tanks for it.

e5ruE71.jpg

lncnwak.jpg

With a pair of short WarpJets, and the WarpJets including the performance unlock for upscaled systems (Not released yet. As powerful as they are already, they're nerfed for stock scale) atmosphere dV and acceleration start to become a non-issue. I was able to turn off the ARI-73 for most of the flat run at the very edge of intake usability, and make it to orbit with 36 tons of payload, half my LF and a proud 3485m/s dV before plane matching the equator.

Staying really long in the atmosphere this time and reaching Mach 11 again I'm pretty sure the ablative Water system was necessary. I really don't want a repeat of the test incident. :D 

eCs35IT.jpg

vy9F0pY.jpg

10 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

(Before subtracting the ~340m/s for plane matching the equator.)

Just a crazy idea here, but since this thing has air-breathing engines, could it possibly be cheaper to fly it to the equator before starting the ascent to orbit?

@OhioBob I have my doubts. The payload rating would have to be lowered to spare the dV, and a plane change in atmosphere means dealing with much more drag than necessary. If the main engines (or a dedicated set of engines for this use case) were something exotic like Karbonite, nuclear ramjets or my WarpJets (things that use the atmosphere itself as the reactant) the plane change becomes trivial. Alternatively, the plane could carry LF drop tanks but would no longer be an SSTO.

@kraden Oh, since you're remaking my craft there are two things you'll need to know.

• The 2.5m stacks are OPT Mk2 intake > Mk2 short cargo bay (convenient for placing the Ablative water tanks or nuclear reactors for the WarpJets) > Mk2-2.5m adapter > J-92 engine.
  • Plane parts configured to hold 11,000 LF, no OX.

16 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@OhioBob I have my doubts. The payload rating would have to be lowered to spare the dV, and a plane change in atmosphere means dealing with much more drag than necessary. If the main engines (or a dedicated set of engines for this use case) were something exotic like Karbonite, nuclear ramjets or my WarpJets (things that use the atmosphere itself as the reactant) the plane change becomes trivial. Alternatively, the plane could carry LF drop tanks but would no longer be an SSTO.

What I was thinking is that instead of flying due east off the launch pad, you start out flying southeast.  Then as you start to build up speed, you gradually turn to the east.  By the time you really start accelerating, you've straightened out the trajectory and are now heading due east.  This will cost more fuel, but it will reduce (or maybe even eliminate) the plane change that has to be done in orbit.  It might end up being cheaper in the long run.  This could also be done with a regular rocket, it doesn't have to be a spaceplane.  Powered turns like this are sometimes done in real life, it's called a "dogleg".

5 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

What I was thinking is that instead of flying due east off the launch pad, you start out flying southeast.  Then as you start to build up speed, you gradually turn to the east.  By the time you really start accelerating, you've straightened out the trajectory and are now heading due east.  This will cost more fuel, but it will reduce (or maybe even eliminate) the plane change that has to be done in orbit.  It might end up being cheaper in the long run.  This could also be done with a regular rocket, it doesn't have to be a spaceplane.  Powered turns like this are sometimes done in real life, it's called a "dogleg".

I've considered, maybe even tried it before but not to the extent like in my tests the other day with that OPT spaceplane. It's interesting nonetheless.

1 hour ago, RobinVerhulstZ said:

Ehh,are the textures compressed? i went over my data cap and am limited to 1mbit/s download speed so it would take a long time to download,(if the download doesnt break mid-term)

They already are, they are DDS, not PNG format. We've made plenty effort in the past to reduce the download size of just the textures, but with roughly 31 celestials now, they still amount to a large download.

5 hours ago, RobinVerhulstZ said:

Ehh,are the textures compressed? i went over my data cap and am limited to 1mbit/s download speed so it would take a long time to download,(if the download doesnt break mid-term)

I can’t help you with your DL speed obviously, but the textures are as small as they are going to get. The good news is, once you get them downloaded, you shouldn’t have to download them again. Just don’t delete them.

24 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I can’t help you with your DL speed obviously, but the textures are as small as they are going to get. The good news is, once you get them downloaded, you shouldn’t have to download them again. Just don’t delete them.

i worked around it by cycling to a place with good internet speeds and downloading it there,no worries i guess

Finally tried out the Tellumo Space Program. The earliest version that puts the KSC at sea level. I had many ups and downs, testing craft in such a different and challenging place.

LpO7fsu.jpg

Spoiler

Stats for nerds™

yNjzJvR.jpg

Then I took a warp drive and paid a visit to Niven, Thalia and Eta......And I crashed the warpship on Thalia. :huh: Of all places.

1FUEk7v.jpg

BuHbpWW.jpg