[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

So everyone here probably already knows this but...

:ph34r::sealed:

Spoiler

Tarsis has an atmosphere! :o

I had absolutely no idea, being right next to mega-world Catullus, and if not for the Trajectories mod, I wouldn't have known until my probe came to a slow and untimely end.

Ended up working out for the best, oddly enough.:D

Say, I'm coming back to GPP after a long hiatus.  My usual MO is to strip mine the moons for science while I send large probe clusters to set up sat networks around planets on their first launch window (playing with Remote Tech and Near Future), then start docking together manned mega exploration ships waiting for the next launch window.  It's very efficient and min/maxy, I climb the tech tree in leaps and bounds, but I find it repetitive and usually end up starting again after the first exploration ship returns.

Any advice for mods or config tweaks that makes it easier and faster to explore the awesome GPP system, or self challenges that keep the early setup phase of the game interesting?  I'm thinking of just taking my game one objective at a time and timeskipping a lot rather than mounting several concurrent missions waiting for their launch windows.  My only problem with that is that it feels unrealistic and a bit cheesy 

I have uncovered the mystery of the missing Gael! :D   

After noticing that a sandbox game wasn't having problems, I went hunting through my persistent.sfs and found a couple of custom waypoints from back in 1.3.1 that were located on Gael (KSC Main and Rook's Glory runways). Renamed them to Kerbin and the log spam has gone :) 

3 hours ago, Senzipo said:

Say, I'm coming back to GPP after a long hiatus.  My usual MO is to strip mine the moons for science while I send large probe clusters to set up sat networks around planets on their first launch window (playing with Remote Tech and Near Future), then start docking together manned mega exploration ships waiting for the next launch window.  It's very efficient and min/maxy, I climb the tech tree in leaps and bounds, but I find it repetitive and usually end up starting again after the first exploration ship returns.

Any advice for mods or config tweaks that makes it easier and faster to explore the awesome GPP system, or self challenges that keep the early setup phase of the game interesting?  I'm thinking of just taking my game one objective at a time and timeskipping a lot rather than mounting several concurrent missions waiting for their launch windows.  My only problem with that is that it feels unrealistic and a bit cheesy 

Sounds obvious but maybe stop strip-mining? Allow yourself a maximum of 2 landings per body and see what happens :) 

You absolutely should timewarp more and run missions one at a time. It is how KSP was designed to be played and you'll find it much more rewarding because you will go to new places. If you have to, mandate 200 days between launches as a personal rule and stick to it. Spacecraft are not built overnight; that would be unrealistic :) 

Regarding Remote Tech... Personally, I find it takes away things I like doing without offering solutions. Speed of light and strict line of sight without automation meant no probe landings or rovers on distant bodies, and a hard time even getting probes into orbit due to needing to burn on the far side of the target. Realism does not lend itself to going new places and getting stuff done... and it does tend to make you launch a lot of comms satellites. Just my 2p but you might find the game more enjoyable with stock comms and less repetition. 

I find that I enjoy having tech to chase; it's nice to have a new thing per mission, but it's easy to have far too many things per mission and end up with all the techs by the time you leave the homeworld's SoI. Suggestions...

1. Get some high tech mods (see my signature for ideas) that will add on to the end of the tree
  2. Get the Community Tech Tree to deepen the research 
  3. Drop to 30-40% science income
  4. And (plugging my own config now) the first post in my mission logs contains an MM patch to significantly rescale the costs such that the back of the tree is several times more expensive than the front. Startup pain is minimised, but you'll have to do a lot more work for nervas and beyond. The final node in my particular modpack costs 22,000 science. I may even have to make a choice and not get every research option!
  5. With these plus a two-landing rule you will find yourself doing things like rovers and scout planes to maximise your return per body, and that's far more interesting than lander lander lander lander :) 

@Senzipo If farming science is really your thing then imo the first thing you'll want to do is add more science parts and a mod that lets you track experiments and deploy them in bulk or with a level of automation to make early science farming easier and more rewarding. I'm personally against having too many science parts to use as that ends up granting too much science, actually may become a burden to carry, and in cases like @eddiew ;) it'll make progression too easy. Here I recommend any combination of these:

• KrakenScience (many science parts and 2 mid/late game engines that should carry you pretty far, but the mod needs engine tuning and CTT configs)
  • DMagic Orbital Science (many science parts)
  • Experiment Tracker Retracked
  • Automated Science Sampler
  • Tarsier Space Technologies (for the science storage SSDs and a more intuitive way to collect and manage all the science in the craft)
  • Science Relay (to transfer collected science to another vessel possessing a lab)

To help you explore GPP faster you may want (instead of just more rocket or ion engines) jet engines that perform well in the absence of oxygen. GPP possesses a whopping 13 celestial bodies with atmosphere, making it a little less worthwhile to depend on, or stay limited by, rocketry as you know it. Here I recommend these part mods:

• Thor Tech (my mod, provides old-school and sci-fi electric jet engines-- from Day 0 to Single Stage to Anywhere)
  • Thermonuclear Turbines by @Eskandare (nuclear engines for every occasion!) 

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Senzipo If farming science is really your thing then imo the first thing you'll want to do is add more science parts and a mod that lets you track experiments and deploy them in bulk or with a level of automation to make early science farming easier and more rewarding. I'm personally against having too many science parts to use as that ends up granting too much science, actually may become a burden to carry, and in cases like @eddiew ;) it'll make progression too easy. Here I recommend any combination of these:

• KrakenScience (many science parts and 2 mid/late game engines that should carry you pretty far, but the mod needs engine tuning and CTT configs)
  • DMagic Orbital Science (many science parts)
  • Experiment Tracker Retracked
  • Automated Science Sampler
  • Tarsier Space Technologies (for the science storage SSDs and a more intuitive way to collect and manage all the science in the craft)
  • Science Relay (to transfer collected science to another vessel possessing a lab)

To help you explore GPP faster you may want (instead of just more rocket or ion engines) jet engines that perform well in the absence of oxygen. GPP possesses a whopping 13 celestial bodies with atmosphere, making it a little less worthwhile to depend on, or stay limited by, rocketry as you know it. Here I recommend these part mods:

• Thor Tech (my mod, provides old-school and sci-fi electric jet engines-- from Day 0 to Single Stage to Anywhere)
  • Thermonuclear Turbines by @Eskandare (nuclear engines for every occasion!) 

Yeeeet! Just a note if you anyone is looking for less sci-fi, Thermonuclear Turbines are based off of an actual USAF project. The real life engines are at the University of Idaho near Reactor #1. 

8 hours ago, Senzipo said:

Any advice for mods or config tweaks that makes it easier and faster to explore the awesome GPP system

Others have chimes in with some good ideas, I’ll add this:

Kerbal Construction Time. It forces you to slow down and time skip because ships actually take time to build, and you need more thought (and testing) in each one cuz you can’t just revert and change something. 

Also, try an upscaled system. For me, nothing refreshes the game like making just getting to orbit a challenge again. I’ve been playing my main game @ 6.4x in 1.2.2 for well over a year now, it’s still enthralling and I’ve just barely scratched the surface beyond the Gael system. 

An upscaled system with stock-ish part stats and Kerbal R&D can be a fun way to play the game, particularly with Community Tech Tree. You'll always be torn whether to spend science points unlocking a new node, or improving the stats of parts you've already unlocked. I'd also recommend against Science Relay, as it makes it far too easy to keep multiple labs fully fed with science data.

I do dig the idea of the upscaled system, especially with Kerbal R&D, but be aware that it will extend the game time... If you like a slow game with many (similar) missions then it's great because you'll need to invest a ton of extra science before anything is actually useful. Rapiers without improvements? That ain't no space plane homey! :) 

If you wanted to just have 1-2 landings per body and move on... that's not what upscaled systems will do for you at all :D

5 hours ago, fwdixon said:

Ok, so I've managed to bork something in my quest to download all Galileo's mods (btw, running GPP secondary, so no SVE/SVT):

What's borked? You wanted to keep Kerbin with GPP Secondary and you seem to have it :)

The black sky is a thing that happens sometimes. 

4 hours ago, eddiew said:

What's borked? You wanted to keep Kerbin with GPP Secondary and you seem to have it :)

The black sky is a thing that happens sometimes. 

I thought i did something to cause the black sky to happen! 

Btw, your tip made me try deleting and reinstalling scatter, and it's fixed.

Edited by fwdixon

1 hour ago, fwdixon said:

I thought i did something to cause the black sky to happen! 

Btw, your tip made me try deleting and reinstalling scatter, and it's fixed.

A game restart would probably also fix it. It's both common and random, at least in my install.

25 minutes ago, eddiew said:

A game restart would probably also fix it. It's both common and random, at least in my install.

Restarting didn't help, which is why i thought i had broken something.

Edit: game crashed and now back to black sky. Time to go bug the scatterer thread I guess. Thanks again!

Edited by fwdixon

27 minutes ago, fwdixon said:

Restarting didn't help, which is why i thought i had broken something.

Edit: game crashed and now back to black sky. Time to go bug the scatterer thread I guess. Thanks again!

Is it *actually* black when you launch a vessel though? Usually this only happens in KSC view. I just ignore it.

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

Is it *actually* black when you launch a vessel though? Usually this only happens in KSC view. I just ignore it.

no, it is black when I am flying or in space. 

What is happening is when it is working correctly, the tracking station/map view is monochrome. Then, it's like the two get switched and the world has the black sky and the tracking station/map view is normal.

On a side note, it does make for a strikingly beautiful sky, would be interesting to find it on another planet.

Edited by fwdixon

Hello guys! How can I get rid of Galileo, Bobert, Jade, Poody, Sigma and Raging Galean from my game permanentally? I keep throwing them out and even deleting them from my save file but every time I visit the Astronaut complex they keep sneaking back in. Which part of the code I have to nuke to not have them appear in my game anymore? As much as I enjoy the cameo of you guys, I'd rather play with my own set of Kerbals.

Yowzers, was it always 6km/s to get to (and stop at) Gratian?

My latest mission needed 4x5m launcher stacks to get it to LGO... But I guess Gratian is equivalent to Tylo with an atmosphere. Which is ironic, cos I always wanted to mod an atmosphere onto Tylo :P  Let the spice hunt begin!

Side note; Gratian needs Salsa Oceans ;)  

On 6/21/2018 at 9:42 AM, Three_Pounds said:

Hello guys! How can I get rid of Galileo, Bobert, Jade, Poody, Sigma and Raging Galean from my game permanentally? I keep throwing them out and even deleting them from my save file but every time I visit the Astronaut complex they keep sneaking back in. Which part of the code I have to nuke to not have them appear in my game anymore? As much as I enjoy the cameo of you guys, I'd rather play with my own set of Kerbals.

I might have assigned them to a space station and totally forgotten about their existence... I believe the pilots are providing remote control for probes in the Grannus system. I'm not actually sure where the others are.

And now I feel bad about it :(

Yowzers, was it always 6km/s to get to (and stop at) Gratian?

My latest mission needed 4x5m launcher stacks to get it to LGO... But I guess Gratian is equivalent to Tylo with an atmosphere. Which is ironic, cos I always wanted to mod an atmosphere onto Tylo :P  Let the spice hunt begin!

Surprise: Gratian's SMA is near-identical to Dres and everyone knows it's costly to go to Dres. Gratian more aptly wears the alias of "Dry Laythe" versus "Air Tylo." The "Dry Laythe" alias fits even better if you have my mod, The Spice. But I won't tell you why that is.

Side note; Gratian needs Salsa Oceans ;) 

@Galileo Do it. (⌐■_■)

I feel like I did something that made my menu screen particularly lush...

hlM8mcd.jpg

(Aka I might be a dumbass; is there supposed to be a StockVisualEnhancements folder in my Gamedata or is that a remnant from previous games and has it been interfering with my clouds all this time?)