[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

1 hour ago, TheLoneMartian said:

Hi there, 

Installed this mod through CKAN with High quality clouds and terrain, and found that all the planets added appear black. I have no idea what caused this. Any ideas?

Logs would be helpful.

11 hours ago, TheLoneMartian said:

Hi there, 

Installed this mod through CKAN with High quality clouds and terrain, and found that all the planets added appear black. I have no idea what caused this. Any ideas?

You installed this in a completely clean installation of which KSP version?  Did you follow the installation instructions precisely?

I installed GPP and GEP on KSP v1.4.5 last night and have had no issues.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:42 AM, Galileo said:

UPDATE

Changelog:

v1.6.3.1 for KSP 1.4.5

• Increased Lili's surface gravity (can now land on most of its surface).

So after all that time I spent designing, testing, and sending most of the way to Tellumo, a spaceplane specifically for  landing on Lili before deorbiting into the atmosphere from hell, I could have skipped the vertical grounding thrusters?  Oh well, I think I can eva to disassemble the nervs...

Real talk though, I've been having so much fun with this planet pack; there always seems to be so many places to go and things to do. I'm playing with USI MKS and LS installed, so ships that are destined to Gauss and beyond get big quickly in order to support even a few kerbals for those kind of transfer times.

The challenge is real and I love it. But on the other end of the spectrum, with the plethora of celestial bodies, many with oxygen-less atmospheres, along with the vast distances in this mod, it really pairs nicely with KSPIE for the nuclear atmospheric engines, as well as the end game high-speed drive systems for expedient travels to the outer planets and Grannus.

tl;dr Love the mod!

5 hours ago, Jumberlack said:

So after all that time I spent designing, testing, and sending most of the way to Tellumo, a spaceplane specifically for  landing on Lili before deorbiting into the atmosphere from hell, I could have skipped the vertical grounding thrusters?  Oh well, I think I can eva to disassemble the nervs...

Sorry about that. 

Lili's gravity is now where I originally intended it to be.  I goofed by computing its mass based on a radius of 7000 meters as specified in its config.  But that's the radius to the lowest point on its surface.  Because of Lili's huge deformity, its actual volumetric radius is much larger.  Therefore its mass and surface gravity should have been much greater than I originally computed.  I made the same mistake with RAB-58E in GEP, which I've also fixed.

Even with the fix, there are some places on Lili's big equatorial ridge that probably still can't be landed on.  I haven't actually tried it, but the math say no.

Edited by OhioBob

Hi

First of all this is an awesome planet pack. Since i started to play it i could never go back to stock Kerbin.

I do have one peeve with it. All the planets in the pack (except Telumo ) are below 1 g and therefore quite easy to land on. Can we get a planet or two that have 1g maybe a bit higher ? Or at least some instructions where to change what to do this safely ?

26 minutes ago, Nicky21 said:

Hi

First of all this is an awesome planet pack. Since i started to play it i could never go back to stock Kerbin.

I do have one peeve with it. All the planets in the pack (except Telumo ) are below 1 g and therefore quite easy to land on. Can we get a planet or two that have 1g maybe a bit higher ? Or at least some instructions where to change what to do this safely ?

Have you been to Catullus? We have a wiki that will give you all of the info you are looking for

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

We have a wiki that will give you all of the info you are looking for

I'm not sure the Wiki is complete and up to date.  Haven't looked at it in a long time.

The GPP download includes a file named CelestialBodies.pdf that also has all has all the facts and figures.

5 hours ago, Nicky21 said:

Can we get a planet or two that have 1g maybe a bit higher ? Or at least some instructions where to change what to do this safely ?

GPP is finished, there will be no new planets.

You're free to go poking around in the planet configs and make whatever changes you want.  If you want to change gravity, change geeASL.  If you mess something up, however, don't ask for support.  Changing the configs voids the warranty.

Hey I had some bugs on a recent install using GPP secondary.

Among them are a contract to visit Lili (within a few kerbal days in career mode), asteroids popping out in Ciro system, not in Kerbol, and the kerbal name being Gaelean, not Kerman.

No other planet pack installed.

Is there something I did wrong?

Edited by Lutenar

@Galileo

I've found a way to easy reproduce the launchsite exception, which prevents load and save and main menu...

Just use KSP 1.4.5 with MH and install GPP 1631 + KIS 1.14 (f.e. via CKAN)... then put a KIS Item onto the launchpad and try to save... bugged...
Seems like a KIS Item need to be lying around for the bug...

I made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKddXYyQQmU

Hope this helps to debug... I am out of ideas, currently. :(

EDIT: Wow, removing the line "removeLaunchSites = Desert_Launch_Site, Desert_Airfield, Desert_GroundObjects, Woomerang_GroundObjects" out of Geal_A.cfg indeed fixes / works around this problem!  \o/ Thx @OhioBob

BR
JebsSY

Log is:

Spoiler

[EXC 00:42:37.782] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[LaunchSite].get_Item (Int32 index)
    Vessel.get_LandedInStockLaunchSite ()
    FlightState..ctor ()
    Game.Updated (GameScenes startSceneOverride)
    Game.Updated ()
    PauseMenu.<draw>m__D ()
    DialogGUIButton.OptionSelected ()
    DialogGUIButton.<Create>m__7 ()
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke ()
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke ()
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press ()
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[LOG 00:42:39.399] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[LOG 00:42:39.399] Game Unpaused!

Edited by Jebs_SY

2 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

@Galileo

I've found a way to easy reproduce the launchsite exception, which prevents load and save and main menu...

Just use KSP 1.4.5 with MH and install GPP 1631 + KIS 1.14 (f.e. via CKAN)... then put a KIS Item onto the launchpad and try to save... bugged...

EDIT: Wow, removing the line "removeLaunchSites = Desert_Launch_Site, Desert_Airfield, Desert_GroundObjects, Woomerang_GroundObjects" out of Geal_A.cfg indeed fixes / works around this problem!  \o/ Thx @OhioBob

BR
JebsSY

Log is:

Reveal hidden contents

FlightState..ctor ()
    Game.Updated ()
    PauseMenu.<draw>m__D ()
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)

I would take this bug to the KIS developer, as the issue seems to stem from that mod.

15 hours ago, Galileo said:

I would take this bug to the KIS developer, as the issue seems to stem from that mod.

That's the question. I still wouldn't bet on that. I read here multiple times about the problem with the non working menu, I doubt everyone has a KIS item lying around.
At least the described way is an easy way to reproduce the problem.

But maybe it is still useful, to ping @IgorZ regarding this issue like shown in the video... @IgorZ We (I) have a problem, that the game bugs our when (1) putting a KIS item on the ground and (2) using a planet pack that deletes the stock launchpads while having (3) making history installed. Maybe just check my last post and take a quick look at this video. Maybe this is also interesting for @Thomas P. ?
I mean in the end it's an exception in the evaluation of the launchpads while saving the game in some special situation (f.e. a KIS item is lying around). Now is the question if the KIS item is anyhow special or maybe should kopernicus catch that case or is it a totally different solution.

As last note, this only happens with Making History installed. And a fix is deleting the "removeLaunchSites = ..." from the GPP configs... but still maybe this case should somewhere catched...

BR
JebsSY o/

@Jebs_SY @Galileo I put a bug in for this very issue https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19510, the fix can't be distributed but maybe a mod that manipulates launch sites can patch it (kind of hacky, I know, but if someone wants to be a hero). Honestly, traces back to that "performance" recommendation (with dubious results) of switching foreach loops to for loops. Very hard to introduce this bug with a foreach loop...

I believe KIS/KAS aggravates the bug by relatively quickly changing the vessel list for the game. I do not see any reason it would activate the bug (as the bug itself is a for loop iterating through a different data structure than the one accessed inside the loop).

Edited by whitespacekilla

13 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

But maybe it is still useful, to ping @IgorZ regarding this issue like shown in the video... @IgorZ We (I) have a problem, that the game bugs our when (1) putting a KIS item on the ground and (2) using a planet pack that deletes the stock launchpads while having (3) making history installed. Maybe just check my last post and take a quick look at this video.

Well, my first guess was not resetting the input locks due to an exception in the part create branch of KIS. However, you've checked it via the debug menu and wasn't the case. I'd pay more attention to that exception you see in the log. I bet the issue happens due to it. And the question is: where it arises from? The stock log console cannot help here, as well as cannot the KSP.log file. But if you install KSPDev LogConsole, then you will be able to see the full stack trace of the exception, and this may give a hint what's happening. It's very probable that the exception happens in KIS, but it's likely caused by some other mod.

A part creation process in KIS is not trivial. There are waiting loops and some assumptions. So, if there is another mod that changes the game mechanics a lot, then there can be troubles.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:55 AM, Jebs_SY said:

@Galileo

BR
JebsSY

Log is:

Reveal hidden contents

FlightState..ctor ()
    Game.Updated ()
    PauseMenu.<draw>m__D ()

On 8/14/2018 at 3:15 AM, Galileo said:

Hi, I've got the exact same issue and I don't use KIS.

I got this bug when I was trying to land on Iota. When my last stage fell to the ground, I couldn't save, use menu or plant a flag. My game was softlock and I had to reload a previous save

2 hours ago, Nayah- said:

Hi, I've got the exact same issue and I don't use KIS.

I got this bug when I was trying to land on Iota. When my last stage fell to the ground, I couldn't save, use menu or plant a flag. My game was softlock and I had to reload a previous save

Currently the only 'fix' I know of is the one quoted in red in the posts above. This does work and had to be done in the previous version of GPP as well.

14 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Well, my first guess was not resetting the input locks due to an exception in the part create branch of KIS. However, you've checked it via the debug menu and wasn't the case. I'd pay more attention to that exception you see in the log. I bet the issue happens due to it. And the question is: where it arises from? The stock log console cannot help here, as well as cannot the KSP.log file. But if you install KSPDev LogConsole, then you will be able to see the full stack trace of the exception, and this may give a hint what's happening. It's very probable that the exception happens in KIS, but it's likely caused by some other mod.

A part creation process in KIS is not trivial. There are waiting loops and some assumptions. So, if there is another mod that changes the game mechanics a lot, then there can be troubles.

Hello @IgorZ

I have two exceptions here, from KSPDEV...

Spoiler

180814T201305.021 [EXCEPTION] [System.Collections.Generic.List`1[LaunchSite].get_Item] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[LaunchSite].get_Item (Int32 index)
   at Vessel.get_LandedInStockLaunchSite ()
   at FlightState..ctor ()
   at Game.Updated (GameScenes startSceneOverride)
   at Game.Updated ()
   at QuickSaveLoad.doSave (System.String filename, System.String screenMsg)
   at QuickSaveLoad.quickSave (Boolean saveAs)
   at QuickSaveLoad.Update ()
180814T201328.326 [EXCEPTION] [System.Collections.Generic.List`1[LaunchSite].get_Item] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[LaunchSite].get_Item (Int32 index)
   at Vessel.get_LandedInStockLaunchSite ()
   at FlightState..ctor ()
   at Game.Updated (GameScenes startSceneOverride)
   at Game.Updated ()
   at QuickSaveLoad.doSave (System.String filename, System.String screenMsg)
   at QuickSaveLoad.OnSaveAsClose (System.String saveName, Boolean pauseGame, .FinishedSaveLoadDialogCallback onSaveAsCloseReturn)
   at QuickSaveLoad.ConfirmDialog (Boolean pauseGame, .FinishedSaveLoadDialogCallback onSaveAsCloseReturn)
   at QuickSaveLoad.Update ()

But as Nayah- says, he has the same problem even without KIS, so this seems not to be a KIS issue.

And I think @whitespacekilla is spot on with his analysis. So it seems we need to wait for a KSP fix and maybe not delete launchpads until then...

BR
JebsSY

18 hours ago, whitespacekilla said:

@Jebs_SY @Galileo I put a bug in for this very issue https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19510, the fix can't be distributed but maybe a mod that manipulates launch sites can patch it (kind of hacky, I know, but if someone wants to be a hero). Honestly, traces back to that "performance" recommendation (with dubious results) of switching foreach loops to for loops. Very hard to introduce this bug with a foreach loop...

I believe KIS/KAS aggravates the bug by relatively quickly changing the vessel list for the game. I do not see any reason it would activate the bug (as the bug itself is a for loop iterating through a different data structure than the one accessed inside the loop).

CC:  @IgorZ@Nayah- @Pleb it's a stock bug (see: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19510), as I stated (probably in too abstract a manner?). Nayah-'s report confirms that KIS is not the only way to trigger the bug. Before a lot of events can be finished (scene switch, vessel switch, save, exit, load) the code runs a check to see if a vessel is landed in a stock launchsite (not important why it does this, just that it does). There's a mistake in the loop such that it is effectively:

for (int i = 0; i < someLaunchSites.Count(); i++) {
    if (someItemOfInterest = differentLaunchSites[i].SomeItem) { // ArgumentOutOfRangeException thrown here for obvious reasons
        // do some stuff
    }
}

This code is guarded by a clause that requires the expansion be installed and the two different lists of launch sites will be incidentally identical (thus having the same length and avoiding the AORE) if you avoid making certain edits.

Update: remove launch sites is really what activates the stock bug here and that's not even GPP functionality, that's Kopernicus functionality. I'm going to see what the Kopernicus devs think and they can either correct on their own or I'll research a fix and make a PR. Any luck this might be fixed for Kopernicus users soon.

PR is submitted.

Until there's a new Kopernicus release, you have 3 workarounds (in order of recommendation):

• Turn "Tidy Up Debris Surrounding KSC" off in system settings for KSP (the bug is actually triggered when attempting to evaluate if a vessel should be cleaned up)
  • Play without ever leaving ANY vessels in a state where they might be considered cleanable debris, i.e. landed, no command, etc. (KIS aggravates this as it can result in more "vessels" that fit this description, but it's certainly not the only way an object that could be cleaned up might be left lying around)
  • Use my forked Kopernicus pre-release (PLEASE DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY SUPPORT INSTALLING, USING, OR REMOVING THIS NON-RELEASE) available here: https://github.com/marr75/Kopernicus/releases Edit: I have gone ahead and taken this down as the PR is integrated into mainline Kopernicus, there's no further testing or confirmation needed, the bug has been around awhile, and compiling for yourself or turning off tidy up debris are good enough alternatives until the next release

CC: @Nayah- @Jebs_SY @AnyoneElseWhoEncountersThisBug

On 8/16/2018 at 2:23 AM, whitespacekilla said:

PR is submitted.

Until there's a new Kopernicus release, you have 3 workarounds (in order of recommendation):

• Turn "Tidy Up Debris Surrounding KSC" off in system settings for KSP (the bug is actually triggered when attempting to evaluate if a vessel should be cleaned up)
  • Play without ever leaving ANY vessels in a state where they might be considered cleanable debris, i.e. landed, no command, etc. (KIS aggravates this as it can result in more "vessels" that fit this description, but it's certainly not the only way an object that could be cleaned up might be left lying around)
  • Use my forked Kopernicus pre-release (PLEASE DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY SUPPORT INSTALLING, USING, OR REMOVING THIS NON-RELEASE) available here: https://github.com/marr75/Kopernicus/releases

CC: @Nayah- @Jebs_SY @AnyoneElseWhoEncountersThisBug

I'd appreciate if you could ship your fork with a version number that the mainline Kopernicus probably will never reach (like 1.4.5-105 or so). Just to avoid confusion when I make an actual 1.4.5-5 release.

I will look at your PR as soon as I got time, thank you!