[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

24 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@TheKurgan

I have just looked into what your issue could be, and the changes needed are a little more extensive than i thought they would be. I will post a patch when i get it done

Thank you Galileo, I truly appreciate it.

I've only got about 10%, maybe less, of your solar system explored (as GPP_Secondary), and it would be awesome if the planets with atmospheres would look the same way they do when installed as it was originally intended.

Cheers.

Edited by TheKurgan

5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

GPP is a planet pack.  I can't speak for the other developers, but I think changing the tech tree is beyond the scope of what we're trying to accomplish.  Besides adding the new celestial bodies, I believe people should be able to modify the rest of the game as they see fit to match their particular playing style.  Part packs, no part packs; life support, no life support; stock tech tree, modified tech tree; etc., should all be left up to the individual player.  I don't think GPP should force any particular style of play onto anyone, which modifying the tech tree would do.

Rearranging the tech tree as you describe won't just fit GPP, but other planet packs as well.  For instance, stock + OPM is very similar to GPP in terms of system size and organization.  If someone where to mod the tech tree in this way, it should probably be as a separate addon that can be used with any planet pack.  Making it a built-in feature of GPP doesn't make much sense to me.

Ceti has the same issue as Iota.  Both moons are just too small and too warm to retain a substantial atmosphere.

GPP already has things bundled in like a custom loading screen and kerbal renamer, why not include a GPP tech tree that is optional?

@Galileo - Thanks so much for creating the "Secondary" option.  I love it, and it seems to work just great so far, other than with custom EVE configurations (which as the OP stated, is not promised or supported). I may give it a go again with SVE - I seem to have a knack for mis-intalling SVE since the dependencies were unbundled. (again, not your problem) Just wanted to say thanks again, and I love the Ciro system.  Amazing work on this and your other mods.  Looking forward to the upcoming IntensityCurve fix.

3 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

GPP already has things bundled in like a custom loading screen and kerbal renamer, why not include a GPP tech tree that is optional?

I think that if somebody where to create an alternate tech tree, they should just release it as a separate mod.  I don't see why it should be specific to and limited to GPP.

10 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Those are due to GPP basically being an alternative universe. It would be wierd to play Kerbals when there isn't a Kerbin around. A tech tree however isn't a stylistic choice like the inclusion of loading screens - it's an important decision to be made by the player. Besides, why would GPP need to have something specifically crafted for it that already exist? There is half a dozent tech trees out there and no body is stopping to even make your own.

Edited by Three_Pounds

@The-Doctor, if you just want to move a few parts around in the tech tree, it's pretty easy for you to do that yourself.  That way you can customize it to exactly the way you want it.  You just need to write a module manager .cfg file and save it somewhere in your GameData folder.  The file would include entries that look like this:

@PART[solarPanels3]
{
	@TechRequired = advElectrics
}

@PART[largeSolarPanel]
{
	@TechRequired = largeElectrics
}

@PART[name] uses the internal name of the part, which can be found from the part's .cfg file.  For instance, "solarPanels3" is the internal name for "OX-4W 3x2 Photovoltaic Panels".  The cfgs for all the stock parts are in the folder GameData\Squad\Parts\.  To change where the part appears in the tech tree, just change @TechRequired to the desired tech.

For your changes to take proper effect, you'll have to start a new career or science game.  Applying changes in the middle of the game could mess up the tech tree (for instance, a part might appear in both the old and new locations).

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

@panarchist @TheKurgan

Give this a shot. This will work with the stock system for sure, but other planet packs, I cannot guarantee due to how most have scatterer bundled and not implemented through MM

HERE

AWESOME!! works perfectly!!

The Kurgan is happy.

Thanks Galileo, you are awesome.

4 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@The-Doctor, if you just want to move a few parts around in the tech tree, it's pretty easy for you to do that yourself.  That way you can customize it to exactly the way you want it.  You just need to write a module manager .cfg file and save it somewhere in your GameData folder.  The file would include entries that look like this:

@PART[solarPanels3]
{
	@TechRequired = advElectrics
}

@PART[largeSolarPanel]
{
	@TechRequired = largeElectrics
}

@PART[name] uses the internal name of the part, which can be found from the part's .cfg file.  For instance, "solarPanels3" is the internal name for "OX-4W 3x2 Photovoltaic Panels".  The cfgs for all the stock parts are in the folder GameData\Squad\Parts\.  To change where the part appears in the tech tree, just change @TechRequired to the desired tech.

For your changes to take proper effect, you'll have to start a new career or science game.  Applying changes in the middle of the game could mess up the tech tree (for instance, a part might appear in both the old and new locations).

yeah I know mate, thanks anyways. I've chosen to play with ETT but with science rewards at 700% increase so I don't go insane

5 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

Those are due to GPP basically being an alternative universe. It would be wierd to play Kerbals when there isn't a Kerbin around. A tech tree however isn't a stylistic choice like the inclusion of loading screens - it's an important decision to be made by the player. Besides, why would GPP need to have something specifically crafted for it that already exist? There is half a dozent tech trees out there and no body is stopping to even make your own.

half a dozen tech trees? I only know about 3, can u list the others?

11 hours ago, OhioBob said:

GPP is a planet pack.  I can't speak for the other developers, but I think changing the tech tree is beyond the scope of what we're trying to accomplish.  Aside from adding the new celestial bodies, I believe people should be able to modify the rest of the game as they see fit to match their particular playing style.  Part packs, no part packs; life support, no life support; stock tech tree, modified tech tree; etc., should all be left up to the individual player.  I don't think GPP should force any particular style of play onto anyone, which modifying the tech tree would do.

Rearranging the tech tree as you describe won't just fit GPP, but other planet packs as well.  For instance, stock + OPM is very similar to GPP in terms of system size and organization.  If someone where to mod the tech tree in this way, it should probably be as a separate addon that can be used with any planet pack.  Making it a built-in feature of GPP doesn't make much sense to me.

Ceti has the same issue as Iota.  Both moons are just too small and too warm to retain a substantial atmosphere.

since you said it yourself, it wouldn't just fit GPP, so you admit it's a great idea, I'm no modder but maybe one of you guys could do such, most tech trees aren't sensible, you could make one that makes sense, with tier 1 being soi exploration, tier 2 being inner solar exploration and tier 3 being outer planets exploration focused. 

7 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

since you said it yourself, it wouldn't just fit GPP, so you admit it's a great idea, I'm no modder but maybe one of you guys could do such, most tech trees aren't sensible, you could make one that makes sense, with tier 1 being soi exploration, tier 2 being inner solar exploration and tier 3 being outer planets exploration focused. 

make a google doc, list every stock parts name (not the title that shows up in game but the name that it has in the config), and the tech node where you want it to be. If you do that I'll be happy to write configs to make it into a tree

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

There are definitely some things about the tech tree that I'd probably do differently, but what's "great" depends on the individual.  If I were to modify the tech tree, I'd rearrange it according to my own vision of what it should be.  I would consider your suggestions, but ultimately I'd do it my way, which may not be your way.  The only way to guarantee it gets done according to your vision is to do it yourself.  @TheRagingIrishman, has offered to write the config for you (I'd be willing to do the same), but you need to tell him under what tech node each part should go.

Edited by OhioBob

3 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

make a google doc, list every stock parts name (not the title that shows up in game but the name that it has in the config), and the tech node where you want it to be. If you do that I'll be happy to write configs to make it into a tree

alright, I'll get to it

4 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

this is gonna take a lot longer than I thought, would it be ok if I suggest a renaming of the technodes in the google doc?

as well as a decreasing in the number of tech nodes and the design of the node, it's all what I consider necessary now that I've looked at the technode and accessed the location of each part, it's made me think that maybe this custom techtree would more be designed for mods, either way, I still consider designing it for stock

I've made a bit of a road map to get a basic idea on a few things before I start documenting parts and where they should go (either under new nodes or using the existing nodes, currently leaning to the existing nodes) now I need a few suggestions for the science parts, rover parts, scanning tech, isru and heat shields

Tech-tree About Real Discovery In Solar-System [T.A.R.D.I.S]

SOI Exploration > Inner Solar System Exploration > Outer Solar System Exploration

Construction: Free Orbit > Space Station > Base

Habitation: Short Term > Long Term > Permanent

Propulsion: Solid and Liquid Fuel > Ion > Nuclear

Power: Solar > Fuel Cell > Nuclear

Aircraft: Lower Atmosphere > Upper Atmosphere > SSTO

I'm gonna have to access each part individually, which is a lot of parts, but I really do need suggestions on the things I listed, I think it's more than doable, making the config will be the hard part

EDIT

Tech-tree About Real Discovery In Solar-System [T.A.R.D.I.S]

Exploration:          Planetary SOI > Inner Solar System > Outer Solar System

Construction:        No Construction > Space Station > Base

Habitation:            Short Term > Long Term > Permanent

Propulsion:           Solid and Liquid Fuel > Ion > Nuclear

Power:                  Solar > Fuel Cell > Nuclear

Aircraft:                 Lower Atmosphere > Upper Atmosphere > SSTO

This is the basic set up, it's gonna get more complex when things such as orbital and suborbital, crewed and robotic come into consideration, it's 2am here, heading to be, will resume tomorrow and get to documenting all the parts hopefully then as well

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I'm glad you are very enthusiastic about this tech node stuff, but perhaps start a new thread so this one isnt flooded with it?

how do you do such? And It will likely be tomorrow

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

This is the basic set up, it's gonna get more complex when things such as orbital and suborbital, crewed and robotic come into consideration, it's 2am here, heading to be, will resume tomorrow and get to documenting all the parts hopefully then as well

how do you do such? And It will likely be tomorrow

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/36-add-on-development/&do=add 

right there

The science parts will be essential to the mod making sense, with just about all rocket parts unlocked, you'd be able to go anywhere early on, but, with maybe one or two science parts, you'd be going for nothing, thus incentivize you explore within the soi, then when you have ion propulsion and more science, you'd be incentivize to explore the inner planets, with no nuclear power you wouldn't be able to go to the outter planets, until the end of the tech tree, which by then you'd have built a base and a station or two. 

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I apparently have the wrong version of kopernicus installed.  Will copying the correct version over suffice?

Also, right now my career is still only on Gael, do I need to bother with this right now?

If not, then at what point will I need to worry about?

I'm using Kopernicus 1.3.0-4 without issue. I believe that's the version you need. You can use 1.3.0-5, but GPP is missing some configuration for the newest version so you'll most likely run into minor issues such as slightly weird visuals and maybe issues with solar panels? Not sure. The changes include some ring modifications and starlight intensity.