Jump to content

[KSP 1.8.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.4] [01 July 2020]


Recommended Posts

I have released a version of Flyby Finder that is just for GPP with the 10.625x rescale. It is here.  Also there is a version of my Moonfinder spreadsheet for Gael 10.625x, and a version of my Lambert spreadsheet for GPP 10.625. For those using stock GPP regular Flyby Finder is still the place to go. I don't know if I'll make ones for other rescales since I have to play them first, and once you've gone full scale it's hard to go back to the little ones as @Yakvi said. FF is most useful for the full scale in my opinion, especially in the GPP system.

    In other news I made a rocket to launch from 10.625x Tellumo's surface to orbit. It was much easier than I anticipated because of the launch site I chose, it was at 9600 meters ASL and the air pressure up there is only 70KP, less than at Earth's surface! It is 1013KP at sea level, I'll probably try launching a rocket from there next. But because of the low air pressure up high, which drops off very quickly relative to Earth or Gael, a rocket can accelerate brutally fairly early and not burn up. I wouldn't want to ride it mind you, two stages hit 7 gs during the ascent. As an aside it is hilarious to launch this thing on Gael, it burns and explodes pretty quickly.

https://imgur.com/a/wlIfi

   Now the problem is landing something big enough to get back to orbit from orbit. It would be easy to land low with the thick air as a cushion, but takeoff needs to be high up.

*Note-launching from Tellumo's equator gives you 580m/s to start with, which is nice.

Edited by PLAD
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

That is truly unbelievable dedication. I congratulate you. I see I am not the only one wondering why the Mun hasn't been torn apart by tidal forces being so close to Kerbin. Albeit researching this things must have done the same damage to you as it did to me: we can no longer enjoy those "wow epic" sci-fi wallpapers with several planets in the sky almost touching each other.

Well, I'm a sci-fi nut so I can still enjoy those...... :wink: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

I see I am not the only one wondering why the Mun hasn't been torn apart by tidal forces being so close to Kerbin.

Yep, I find the Kerbin-Mun system not very realistic.  I'm not sure if having Mun be torn apart by tidal forces is really the problem though.  The Roche limit is about 1500 km, so Mun is well outside that.  My problems are:  (1) I've had trouble finding a scenario where the bodies would really be that close to one another, and (2) if they were that close, Kerbin would be tidally locked to Mun.
 

3 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

Albeit researching this things must have done the same damage to you as it did to me: we can no longer enjoy those "wow epic" sci-fi wallpapers with several planets in the sky almost touching each other.

There are some pretty nice views around the gas giants, particularly Gauss with Catullus, Tarsiss and Loki.  Galileo originally had Gratian and Geminus really close to each other, which provided some great screen shots.  Unfortunately I had to rain on the parade when I did my "realism review".  I ended up changing the sizes of the bodies (making Gratian smaller and Geminus bigger) to bring them closer together in an effort to restore some of the wow factor.
 

Edited by OhioBob
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Yep, I find the Kerbin-Mun system not very realistic.  I'm not sure if having Mun be torn about by tidal forces is really the problem though.  The Roche limit is about 1500 km, so Mun is well outside that.  My problems are:  (1) I've had trouble finding a scenario where the bodies would really be that close to one another, and (2) if they were that close, Kerbin would be tidally locked to Mun.

I redid the math and you're right. It's well outside. I must have made a mistake when I originally made that assessment. I have research bodies among my mods so I won't have a look at the gas giants just yet as I am keeping them as a surprise for later. But like I said, what I am seeing so far makes me extremely happy. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

I redid the math and you're right. It's well outside. I must have made a mistake when I originally made that assessment. I have research bodies among my mods so I won't have a look at the gas giants just yet as I am keeping them as a surprise for later. But like I said, what I am seeing so far makes me extremely happy. :)

I'm glad you are enjoying it, but be aware, Research bodies, messes with GPPs textures and makes them glossy. I can't play with RB until that gets some attention

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2016 at 2:55 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Bluedog Design Bureau - This replica based rocket parts pack is alive and well, and steadily growing bigger and more beautiful. Optimizd for 2.5x scale games.

Forgive me for a bit of confusion here, but is this saying that BDB parts are slightly overpowered in stock-sized GPP?  I would love to use BDB parts in GPP, but I don't want anything that will be OP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nittany Tiger said:

Forgive me for a bit of confusion here, but is this saying that BDB parts are slightly overpowered in stock-sized GPP?  I would love to use BDB parts in GPP, but I don't want anything that will be OP.

If that's the case, you'll be happy to know that Galileo has worked on extensive rescale options. You can find them in his signature or here. :)

Edited by Three_Pounds
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

If that's the case, you'll be happy to know that Galileo has worked on extensive rescale options. You can find them in his signature or here. :)

I'm aware of the rescale options and actually installed the 2.5x rescale.  However, KSC++ doesn't like 2.5x and the buildings don't match. 

f7raB3w.png

A possible fix was given in the KKtoSD thread, though I don't know if it will fix the issues with KSC++.  I can always experiment.

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@Nittany Tiger 2.5x scale is where the party is. Be there, or be square!

Trying to get there. :P  I worked on removing Grannus and editing your config files since you said Kerbalism doesn't work properly with that star in the game. (I almost made a MM config for that).  Might just have to drop KSC++ or see if improperly installed Rescale! or KKtoSC (the 2.5x rescale is working as intended).

This wouldn't be fun if there weren't bugs to fix. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nittany Tiger said:

I'm aware of the rescale options and actually installed the 2.5x rescale.  However, KSC++ doesn't like 2.5x and the buildings don't match. 

f7raB3w.png

A possible fix was given in the KKtoSD thread, though I don't know if it will fix the issues with KSC++.  I can always experiment.

Did you try the latest version released today today? I added KKtoSD support for the rescale cfgs. 

As for your Grannus problems, if you delete it, you need to delete all mention of it from the cfgs. Planet cfg, Scatterer planetlist, sunflare

Edited by Galileo
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did.  1.0.2.4.  Good thing I took a break yesterday from building my GPP install to restart today since I did end up downloading your latest version.

I think what's wrong is that I either need to create the config file that the KKtoSD dev has recommended for fixes, because I have not done that, or downgrade Kopernicus, because I'm using 1.3.0-6, and your thread says "if you don't 1.3.0-4 then don't blame us when things break."  I can say that nothing has broken in using 1.3.0-6 yet that isn't the fault of another mod.  This really just seems like I need to make that config file and then everything should be A-OK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nittany Tiger said:

I did.  1.0.2.4.  Good thing I took a break yesterday from building my GPP install to restart today since I did end up downloading your latest version.

I think what's wrong is that I either need to create the config file that the KKtoSD dev has recommended for fixes, because I have not done that, or downgrade Kopernicus, because I'm using 1.3.0-6, and your thread says "if you don't 1.3.0-4 then don't blame us when things break."  I can say that nothing has broken in using 1.3.0-6 yet that isn't the fault of another mod.  This really just seems like I need to make that config file and then everything should be A-OK.

download it again. I had to make an on the fly change and didn't update the version. You do not need a cfg from KKtoSD. @Sigma88 and I worked on this all morning. It works fine. And you absolutely must be on be on 1.3.0-4 with the current release of GPP

Edited by Galileo
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK.  I'll redownload it and re-install it and see if that fixes everything.

11 minutes ago, Galileo said:

As for your Grannus problems, if you delete it, you need to delete all mention of it from the cfgs. Planet cfg, Scatterer planetlist, sunflare

Already did this and fixed the Scatterer issues.  I figured that the issue was Scatterer looking for the missing star because it was throwing up errors in the console that it was looking for something it couldn't find.  Therefore, I went though the relevant GPP_scatterer config file and commented out the sunflare configs, and then removed the config file for Grannus and everything worked just fine.  I also removed the config mentions in Planetshine for Grannus, but I don't know if Planetshine works for 1.3 yet.

In short, I figured out the problem and fixed it before commenting here. :wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nittany Tiger said:

OK.  I'll redownload it and re-install it and see if that fixes everything.

Already did this and fixed the Scatterer issues.  I figured that the issue was Scatterer looking for the missing star because it was throwing up errors in the console that it was looking for something it couldn't find.  Therefore, I went though the relevant GPP_scatterer config file and commented out the sunflare configs, and then removed the config file for Grannus and everything worked just fine.  I also removed the config mentions in Planetshine for Grannus, but I don't know if Planetshine works for 1.3 yet.

In short, I figured out the problem and fixed it before commenting here. :wink:

Planetshine isn't updated but works fine

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nittany Tiger said:

I worked on removing Grannus and editing your config files since you said Kerbalism doesn't work properly with that star in the game.

It's been about a month since I tested it, but I believe GPP works as is with Kerbalism, even with Grannus installed.  The only problem I remember is that Grannus won't power solar panels.  Maybe some things have changed since then (Kopernius has updated a couple times) but I don't think there's a need to uninstall Grannus.  If anybody knows anything different, please chime in.
 

Edited by OhioBob
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OhioBob said:

It's been about a month since I tested it, but I believe GPP works as is with Kerbalim, even with Grannus installed.  The only problem I remember is that Grannus won't power solar panels.  Maybe some things have changed since then (Kopernius has updated a couple times) but I don't think there's a need to uninstall Grannus.  If anybody knows anything different, please chime in.

I was just going by what Gallileo recommended in my thread asking about what mods I should install next.  I did think about messing with the Grannus config file to turn it into a planet or even a brown dwarf, but I'd have to take a day to figure out Kopernicus.

I think brown dwarfs are actually Jupiter-sized objects because of their high density but lack of radiation pressure to push on the star's outer layers.  I'll have to hit up Wiki for that.  I know brown dwarfs do radiate in infrared and sometimes near-infrared, but they usually are very dim objects in visible light ranges.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

It's been about a month since I tested it, but I believe GPP works as is with Kerbalism, even with Grannus installed.  The only problem I remember is that Grannus won't power solar panels.  Maybe some things have changed since then (Kopernius has updated a couple times) but I don't think there's a need to uninstall Grannus.  If anybody knows anything different, please chime in.
 

Kerbalism hasn't updated in a while and I don't think since 1.3 came out besides the quick and dirty to make it work. It doesn't work properly with multiple stars. To the point that its nearly unplayable after a while of gameplay. Everyone I know that used Kerbalism and GPP dropped it very quickly thereafter. It a double whammy with the solar panel bug in kopernicus. 

Edited by Galileo
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nittany Tiger said:

Alright, so I've installed Kopernicus 1.3.0-4.  I've re-downloaded and reinstalled RESCALE twice (the 2.5x files).  I've re-installed Sigma Dimensions as well.  None of those have fixed the problem with KSC++ objects being out of place at the GSC.

Did you install the KKtoSD mod itself?? It's a requirement.

Edited by Galileo
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Galileo said:

Kerbalism hasn't updated in a while and I don't think since 1.3 came out besides the quick and dirty to make it work. It doesn't work properly with multiple stars. To the point that its unplayable. 

I tested Kerbalism 1.2.9, which is compiled for KSP 1.3.  All that is does is turns off the Kopernicus solar panels and reverts back to stock.  When I tested it, the sun (Ciro) powered solar panels normally.  But any other star won't produce any solar power.  If you're playing a multi-star game and are expecting to derive solar power from all those stars, then it is certainly broken and unplayable.  My point is that I don't think there is a need to uninstall Grannus just to play GPP as if it is a single star system.  Just don't expect solar panels to work around Grannus and you should be OK (I think).

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Did you install the KKtoSD mod itself?? It's a requirement.

Yes, I did.  I installed the latest version of KKtoSD.  Do I need to reinstall it?

EDIT: I think I know what's wrong.  Might be using the wrong version of Kerbal Konstructs because CKAN installed 1.1.0, and KKtoSD wants 1.1.9.3 or later.

EDIT 2: And that fixed it.  So it was just an outdated or incompatible version of KK.

Edited by Nittany Tiger
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tyko said:

Hi, I just tried to use the latest ReScale 2.5, I'm not using Kerbal Konstructs. Many of the launch sites are below ground now.

Make sure you have the lastest sigma dimensions. It fixed its KSCswitcher compatibility 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, after two solid weeks of my current playthrough (or however long it's been - the days kinda blend together), I've decided to start a completely new science game.  Part of the reason is that I only need 8500 more science points to completely clear the tech tree.  This sounds like a good thing, until you realize that I've only done manned missions to Gael orbit, landing in all biomes of both Iota and Ceti, and landed Gaeleans at Niven (and I've barely explored Gael itself and harvested science from all those unchecked biomes).  The rest (read: MOST) of my science has come from probes sent to all the inner planets (inside of Gael's orbit), and one planet out from Gael.

I think I'm going to reduce the science rewards in this new playthrough a bit, just to force me to send some more manned missions to other planets ("Gaeled", or "Gaeleaned missions" sounds weird, so I'll stick with "manned").  This will also let me send off more probes to other planets, and their moons, and not rake in quite so much science so quickly - I'm only in Year 7 and almost all science gathered up.  That's one reason why I never use the science bays.  Picking up science is too quick as it stands at stock settings.  I brought home 13k science just from a single mission to Niven (as recapped in my earlier post on that flight), and while i was like, "YAY!", I was also like, "Damn!  That cleared nearly two rows of the tech tree!"

I also just added a few new mods, and got rid of a couple others that I wasn't really using, and just having the new parts pop up in an almost-toppled tech tree kinda bothers me.  The other kinda-sorta major reason is that I learned a few things about playing KSP and designing ships for a job in this last playthrough, and I want to try them out on a fresh start, as opposed to constant trial and error.

I'm not ever going to try to land and take off from Tellumo, though.  That planet only gets orbital scanning and science.  I'm only playing stock size, but even then, it's just too much for me to figure out. I spent a week or two in 1.2.2 trying to do that, and spent most of yesterday trying again, and I'm just throwing my hands up in defeat on this one (I may someday try again, but to be honest, I'm a bit lazy and it seems like too much work).  That's okay... it just means I need to get science from elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...