[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

39 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I'm troubled by how to treat Tellumo's rings. Picturesque or navigation hazard?. IRL Cassini has flown through Saturn's rings, but it's considered a risky maneuver.

How are others treating Tellumo's rings? Are you plotting courses/orbits through them or have you worked out techniques to avoid that?

If I were to RP it, I'd stick the biggest available heatshield on the front of the craft such that it overlapped everything behind it :) 

For funsies, test the orbital speed of a rock that is at a PE on the inside of the rings and has an AP that's the outside - it might well be a few hundred m/s faster than a circular orbital velocity, and therefore worthy of some armour plating. I'd probably just pull in the big steel sheets, although it won't half make your craft heavy.

Or just conclude that they're made of dust and particles up to the size of sand and therefore don't really carry enough momentum to be a problem.

But I won't RP it, I'll just assume they're pretty :) 

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

Thanks! I understand the technical limitations imposed by the game. I'm more asking whether people are roleplaying their existence.

I generally try to avoid flying through rings, but I make only a modest effort to do so.  If I mess up, or if it's unavoidable, I don't worry about it too much.

Edited by OhioBob

38 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

I'm not treating them as a navigation hazard. Lili is hard enough to get to already.

Ever tried to get to Hale in Outer Planets Mod? Basically just treat it like a space station and assume it doesn't have an SoI :) 

On 26/02/2017 at 4:01 AM, 4d4Garrison said:

Eddie W - you are crazy with that 3.2x scale thing man. Without near future propulsion and cryo engines I doubt you would even be able to get to Icarus without constructing a vessel in orbit (and a very expensive one at that).

Maybe once I get used to this beautiful planet pack and feel I have adequately explored it as I have the stock system I will try out 3.2x.

Sorry 4d4, I missed this first time round!

You're not wrong, 3.2x is very hard. So hard that I've backed the planets and all moon-orbital radii down to 1x and kept the 3.2x planetary orbits. My goal was to have the option for spaceplanes while retaining high interplanetary transfer costs, and thus a need for big motherships. I expected it to double transfers, but it's actually done significantly worse because now my arrival speeds at places are far in excess of anything I can use gravity assists to cancel out. Not only does it cost me 5km/s to launch to Gauss, but I need 2-3km/s to slow down when I get there even with an assist from the biggest moon. Icarus was brutal, totalling around 16.5km/s to establish orbit. A wiser man would have first put a refuelling base on Eta, but I threw caution to the wind and chose a terrible payload fraction on top of my 7,5m rocket instead :D

That said, I've just a couple of days ago filled out my tech tree (which includes both NF propulsion and Kerbal Atomics engines), and by my own personal rules this means I am now finally allowed to use Kerbal R&D, investing any science from this point into incremental upgrades to weight, thrust, efficiency and the like. I may see if I can hack the mod to also allow it to increase reactor output... or I could just make them lighter and have more reactors. I've already applied a config to allow transferring enriched uranium, so I can make radioactive fuel barges :P 

Small moons like Jannah are probably already in reach, but the atmospheric ones like Augustus will be more challenging since I can't use small efficient vacuum engines and will have to haul the weight of something bulkier across the system purely for the ascent. This will definitely drive me towards rover expeditions - which is fine, because who wants to land on the same place more than a couple of times anyway? :D 

I currently have no solid info on how to mine for Xenon, Argon or Lithium, but I have a hunch that Xe and Ar can be harvested from atmospheric targets, so I will investigate whether I can do some atmospheric dives at Augustus without landing. Li is a metal, so if there's no ore patch already there I will go ahead and write one because that feels completely legit.

As if that wasn't hard enough, I'm considering scaling up the Convert-o-Tron to 3.75m and at least 10 tons, and only using that version. It seems ridiculous that it comes in the tiny 1.25m flavour that I packed into my last spaceplane. I'm ok with the concept of ISRU, but it doesn't feel plausible in its current format. I should need a mothership that never lands (or only lands on very tiny bodies) to haul it around. On the up side, with a mothership that heavy to start with, the added weight of landers won't actually give it much of a problem. If I make a 200 ton monster with 15km/s, then a 20 ton lander will barely make a dent in that :) 

All the above accounted for, and well done if you read this far, funds aren't a problem. I have well over 50 million in the bank, and because I'm not really visiting the same body twice, I get a lot of world firsts. Leaving probes hanging around for a while soon results in a DMagic Orbital Science contract to do a magnetic survey, which often covers the entire launch costs after a couple of hundred days :)  In fact I'm so rich that I'm considering RPing a fire at KSC to destroy a large amount of my cash reserve... I figure the majority of it would be in assets, rather than liquid cash. Only time will tell!

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

Ever tried to get to Hale in Outer Planets Mod? Basically just treat it like a space station and assume it doesn't have an SoI :) 

I never got to Hale in OPM, but I did "land" on both Phobos and Deimos in RSS.  The size of the calculated SOI for each of these moons was smaller than the orbital rounding errors for KSP at the time, so I'd have an intersection, then lose it, then have it again, then lose it for good.  I learned to keep everything on rails until I was within a thousand kilometers or so, where it would finally hold an intercept.

With Lili, it's all about minimizing the cost of orbital plane changes, which means I'm nearly always approaching it moving directly through the rings for a long period of time.

30 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

I never got to Hale in OPM, but I did "land" on both Phobos and Deimos in RSS.  The size of the calculated SOI for each of these moons was smaller than the orbital rounding errors for KSP at the time, so I'd have an intersection, then lose it, then have it again, then lose it for good.  I learned to keep everything on rails until I was within a thousand kilometers or so, where it would finally hold an intercept.

With Lili, it's all about minimizing the cost of orbital plane changes, which means I'm nearly always approaching it moving directly through the rings for a long period of time.

Lol, yeah, that sounds about right :)  Hale was very similar - a tiny object in the rings of Sarnus. It was easier to treat it as a rendezvous than a transfer, since its orbital velocity was in the region of 5m/s. Basically get in the same plane, get to within 50km altitude (I imagine Lili is even tighter, being around a smaller planet) and Hohmann over to it. Might as well aim to collide because your closing velocity is so darn small anyway ^^

@New Horizons I've noticed Custom Asteroids' return but right after I already took the time and learned to make magic with Kopernicus asteroids. :/ I doubt they will scale as the author has only made his mod useable again and has not added features or fixed bugs. If anyone has already used Custom Asteroids with RSS and gotten them to scale then let me know and I'll investigate.

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

I currently have no solid info on how to mine for Xenon, Argon or Lithium, but I have a hunch that Xe and Ar can be harvested from atmospheric targets, so I will investigate whether I can do some atmospheric dives at Augustus without landing. Li is a metal, so if there's no ore patch already there I will go ahead and write one because that feels completely legit.

Karbonite's atmospheric scoops (available in 1.25m and 2.5m) allow you to filter Karbonite, Argon and Xenon from an atmosphere. This is the key to infinite flight in every atmosphere with appreciable amounts of Karbonite (All landable worlds in GPP but only Eve and Duna afaik in Stock). With this you can refuel ion-powered vessels on the go; deploy Argon/Xenon refueling bases at other planets; and not have to ship a load only from Gael.

rkcWG0v.jpg

Near Future Propulsion provides the AIReS Atmospheric Sounder (Science category) and the M-2 Cryogenic Gas Separator (Utility category) for harvesting Argon and Xenon. The AIReS is a scanner and both parts only work in atmosphere. NF Propulsion also adds Lithium modules to the stock drills and stock ISRU (and the ISRU of KPBS if also installed).

c6dtlfr.jpg

I'll post something soon about how to balance reactors and engines for ion-powered crewed vessels.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Karbonite's atmospheric scoops (available in 1.25m and 2.5m) allow you to filter Karbonite, Argon and Xenon from an atmosphere. This is the key to infinite flight in every atmosphere with appreciable amounts of Karbonite...

I'd love to be able to do that, but unfortunately I can't get the scoops to provide any useable IntakeAtm for the Karbonite-powered jet or turbofans.  I think it's a conflict with Kerbal R&D, but I haven't had any success so far in tracking down exactly what's happening.  Right now, Kerbal R&D is worth far more to my exploration efforts, so it's staying in the mix.

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Norcalplanner There's no mod conflict. The karbonite scoops have horrid intakeAtm values (which makes some sense). Their first purpose is filtration and no filter has a gaping hole in it to let the medium it operates in just gush through it. You must supplement them with normal intake parts.

Huh.  I could have sworn that I tried that and it didn't work.  I'll try it again.

6 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

It's as if the IntakeAtm resource doesn't exist on Gael in my install.

That's the strangest thing. Well if it means anything, I have Mk2 Expansion installed and one of its patches adds IntakeAtm to every intake part I have so I'm just fine. :/ 

Save this and drop it in your GameData

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir],!RESOURCE[IntakeAtm]]:NEEDS[!WarpPlugin]
{
	+MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]{ 
	@resourceName = IntakeAtm
	@checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]{
	@name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

15 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That's the strangest thing. Well if it means anything, I have Mk2 Expansion installed and one of its patches adds IntakeAtm to every intake part I have so I'm just fine. :/ 

Save this and drop it in your GameData

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir],!RESOURCE[IntakeAtm]]:NEEDS[!WarpPlugin]
{
	+MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]{ 
	@resourceName = IntakeAtm
	@checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]{
	@name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

What a difference one little patch makes. THANK YOU!!!

YDt8MRd.png

With this change, I strongly suspect we'll be going to Tellumo sooner rather than later.

There is a file named range_StockAntenna.cfg that modifies the stock "commDish" part, but this conflicts with Kerbalism's signal feature, which uses a completely different module.  I;m guessing this is needed because there are some planets farther than the stock signal system can reach.  I would suggest just using the model for the 88-88 and creating an entirely new part that is scaled up a bit and call it an 88-88-X   

Also, on the subject of antenna ranges, I don't see anything in the 6.4x config about it.   I'm just throwing in a couple other things I've seen used in RSS/64x games, but not sure if they are all needed honestly, not sure if you want to include them in the packaged rescale configs.  Worth talking about though.  I'm new to the whole rescale thing, and playing around with my own configs is new too.  So I'm probably way off base here anyhow.     

@Contracts
{
    @Survey
	{
		@TrivialHomeNearbyRange *= 6.4
		@SignificantHomeNearbyRange *= 6.4
		@ExceptionalHomeNearbyRange *= 6.4
    }
}

@RadiationModel[heliopause]:NEEDS[SigmaDimensions]
{
  @pause_radius = 10240.0
  @pause_quality = 0.02
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[SigmaDimensions,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Antenna]
  {
    @dist *= 10.25
  }
}

23 minutes ago, eberkain said:

There is a file named range_StockAntenna.cfg that modifies the stock "commDish" part, but this conflicts with Kerbalism's signal feature, which uses a completely different module.  I;m guessing this is needed because there are some planets farther than the stock signal system can reach.  I would suggest just using the model for the 88-88 and creating an entirely new part that is scaled up a bit and call it an 88-88-X

Also, on the subject of antenna ranges, I don't see anything in the 6.4x config about it. 

range_StockAntenna.cfg exists exactly because the stock antennae can't reach further than Gauss which is further than Eeloo. At the time of writing, Kerbalism, RemoteTech and Sigma Dimensions weren't yet a concern to us...and we didn't anticipate antenna problems when we later made the scaled system options. :) Unfortunately, cloned parts are not an option as having parts (especially an obscure one like an antenna) depend on the presence of a solar system sounds like bad news. I would recommend installing the JX2 Antenna which now happens to disable that patch. If any conflict still comes up with Kerbalism then delete the patch.

@CatastrophicFailure has done something about this same matter. I'm sure he'll be willing to share.

On 2/8/2017 at 9:52 PM, Snark said:

Hi all,

I've released v1.1 of JX2Antenna.  This update adds a patch for Galileo's Planet Pack, which removes a "power up" to the stock antennas.

(For anyone who hasn't been fortunate enough to come across Galileo's Planet Pack, a.k.a. GPP, it's an amazing mod that I've only discovered relatively recently, and in which I'm currently having a ball doing a career play-through.  Really nicely done; how have I managed not to cross paths with this excellent planet pack until now?  Hats off, and many thanks, to @Galileo for giving me a seriously shiny new toy to play with.)  :)

Like Outer Planets, GPP makes the solar system a lot bigger, and runs into the same problem that the most powerful stock antennas just won't reach.  GPP works around this by adding a part upgrade to the top-end antennas (RA-100 and Communotron 88-88) that multiplies their power by 10 when the largeUnmanned tech node is researched.  That upgrade would make the JX2 kinda moot, since it turns those antennas into 1000G devices themselves... and interestingly enough, on the same tech node that unlocks the JX2!

Since the JX2's whole mission in life is to fill that ecological niche in the comm network, this patch undoes that upgrade.

No other changes in this release-- if you're not running Galileo's Planet Pack, this release is functionally identical to 1.0 as far as you're concerned.

Enjoy!

@eddiew :sticktongue:

27 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

range_StockAntenna.cfg exists exactly because the stock antennae can't reach further than Gauss which is further than Eeloo. At the time of writing, Kerbalism, RemoteTech and Sigma Dimensions weren't yet a concern to us...and we didn't anticipate antenna problems when we later made the scaled system options. :) Unfortunately, cloned parts are not an option as having parts (especially an obscure one like an antenna) depend on the presence of a solar system sounds like bad news. I would recommend installing the JX2 Antenna which now happens to disable that patch. If any conflict still comes up with Kerbalism then delete the patch.

I do have the JX2-Antenna installed already, and the 88-88 was getting a stock transmitter module on loading the game, even though Kerbalism had a config to change that. 

44 minutes ago, eberkain said:

I do have the JX2-Antenna installed already, and the 88-88 was getting a stock transmitter module on loading the game, even though Kerbalism had a config to change that. 

Ohhh. So given that you're still getting this problem, feel free to delete the GPP antenna patch and let us know how that works out.

I've found a newly posted 6.4x GPP + Rald + Kerbalism + RemoteTech game. This guy's betting his farm on a Leto conquest!

Also, I took off and flew where the great river divideth (in the middle of the super-continent Uakora). That'd be a great place for Hydro Thunder! epic boat racing.

8L7xiL5.jpg

I came down seaside and found a place with the gentlest of slopes to land after flying and exploring for a good while...

Nailed it!™

yzzRGOF.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Ohhh. So given that you're still getting this problem, feel free to delete the GPP antenna patch and let us know how that works out.

As it turns out, VSR is actually the culprit with this.  

+PART[commDish] {
	@name = commDishVSR
	@title = Communotron 88-88-V
	@mass = 0.08
	@cost = 1400

EDIT: never mind, I am an idiot. When opening the "GPP Kerbal Konstructs" folder I am greeted by a "Gamedata" folder which contains the "KerbalKonstructs" folder. Clearly, I'm supposed to copy all these files to the root Gamedata folder :cool:

I am a bit confused by the KerbalKonstructs integration, and can't find the answer either here or on GitHub.

I copied the "GPP Kerbal Konstructs" in the "optional mods" directory into my GameData directory and now have a "GPP Kerbal Konstructs" folder in there. However, when starting a new game, the icons in the toolbar are all white. In the KerbalKonstructs forum posts this is explicitly mentioned as:

Kerbal Konstructs isn't installed properly. It has hard-coded pathing for finding the textures it needs. See the Installation section of the OP to find out how KK should be installed. This may also occur if you have a duplicate dll lurking in GameData. Make surethere's only one KerbalKonstructs.dll, and that it's in GameData/KerbalKonstructs

So now I'm confused. Should I rename the directory? Or should I install both the original plugin as well? On the install post for this mod, konstructs is marked as "bundled", so I assumed that meant I shouldn't install the original mod as well. Now I'm also beginning to wonder if I should rename (or install the original version) any of the other "bundled" mods as well, to prevent any issues?

Edited by JoshuaRaven

I played a little on my kerbalism + gpp + setii save and I encountered a few bugs:

1) As I noticed before, kerbalism does not treat tellumo and hadrian as planets with breathable atmosphere:
cbY7PC9.png

I hyperedited myself there - kerbals definitely do not trust the atmosphere there :wink: - as you can see down here

Px5t4h7.png

2nd problem - while trying to land there I've learnt one thing - GPP + Real Chutes isnt the best idea ever - on physics warp, my lander started to oscillate and exploded. Landing there was either long and boring or James Bay style

Log: https://pl.scribd.com/document/340609480/KSPlog

13 minutes ago, JoshuaRaven said:

I copied the "GPP Kerbal Konstructs" in the "optional mods" directory into my GameData directory and now have a "GPP Kerbal Konstructs" folder in there.

Don't copy "GPP Kerbal Konstructs" into your GameDate folder.  You have to drill deeper and copy the contents of the GameDate folder of the .zip to the GameDate folder of your KSP installation.  In the .zip file your will find,

OptionMods/GPP Kerbal Konstructs/Gamedata/

which contains the folders,

KerbalKonstructs
KSCFloodlight
LackMisc

It is the above three folders that get copied to the GameDate folder of your KSP installation.

You always want to drill down until you find the GameData folder, then copy the contents of GameData to GameData.

15 minutes ago, quarrion said:

1) As I noticed before, kerbalism does not treat tellumo and hadrian as planets with breathable atmosphere:

I don't know what the problem is with Tellumo, but Hadrian's atmosphere is not breathable.  The only atmospheres that are suppose to be breathable are Gael and Tellumo.