Jiraiyah

CURRENT VERSION : 1.8.1.2

I always liked the idea of box sat or the cube mods, but, for me, those two were not the thing I was looking for. Basically, what I wanted was an easier system to make cube walls for a satellite. Not only that, but having internal nodes to attach different parts to it would be nice. Unfortunately, no one did it, that the case until I saw a video on youtube and the person (Felborn aka bob fitch) had done something amazing and that was, adding few nodes to an existing stock part!

That was when I decided to go for this idea, now, here you have it, a mod that adds only two parts, one as the satellite frame with built in electric charge and SAS, and one as the wall to cover it up and make it a real cube. The frame has 26 sets of internal nodes that are attachable on every 6 directions.

Using B9 Part Switch as an optional mod side by side this mod, you will get a nice little addition in your GUI's menu to toggle those nodes on/off for ease of access. Also, the wall is designed so that when it snap attached to a node, it would still have another stack node toward the outside, making it easier to attach engines to the wall if need to.

ca20339fbb204e78983d70e25f92874c.png9b4a919a83754292a18b8c3ae7b34d76.png10ec5acf531a4817b9cc801df57292d9.png9gwU6Zu.png

License :  Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

DOWNLOAD the MOD from SPACEDOCK

B9PartSwitch

change Log :

Spoiler

1.8.1.1(1.8.x, 1.9.x)

-Added Electro Wall (even more op compared to the battery)

-Removed The battery

1.6.1 (1.6.1) :

- Fixed b9 part switch not working problem

- Added a little bit OP battery

- Tweaked the internal antenna with higher range now

1.1.0 (1.3.1) :

- Updated for 1.3.1 (should work with 1.2.x too)

- Fixed issues with com net

- added configs for Textures Unlimited support

Edited by Jiraiyah

Just now, Nansuchao said:

You're welcome. I plan to use this cubes immediately for my upcoming ComNetwork

please, tell me if you need any special part, but the idea was that with many mods available these days, there should be 0 need for any more rcs, sas, etc parts :D

16 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

please, tell me if you need any special part, but the idea was that with many mods available these days, there should be 0 need for any more rcs, sas, etc parts :D

You're right, there's no need anymore for more RCS, SAS and similar parts, we're full of them. But a simple part with all this possible useful uses, would be useful for various situations.

Chassis for ComSat, Bay for the REKT Escape Pods, possibly boxes for direct landers on Eve or atmo-probes on Jool, structural hubs for motherships. A simple part like a cube with a built in probe is invaluable, for his many uses.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Take a look at this mod I'm reviving, I wonder if the complement each other:

I love Octosat, that was one of my favorit mods, that would be a nice addition to the mod's list for sure, gives variety for satellite designs for sure, it is modular and covers most of the needs for any sat orbiting home planet. as you said it is nice complement. last time i looked into it, it didn't hadve that many modules and the hollow  design was not there for sure. thanks for reviving it. still the thing is that some of the sat mods out there limit you on your design, for example if you want a sat for deep space com, electric charge would be problem and you need more rtg and batteries on it and with designs like octo sat, those additions either would make your sat look too big or it would make it look stupid, that is why i went with this design, on 2.5m you can easily fit near 10 batteries each 1k in it without anyone seeing it, or another example, enough fuel tanks for your sat to become stand alone upper case for geosync one :wink:

• 6 months later...

Hello

I am just testing this mod in KSP 1.2.2. A very cool mod. It has a Borg cube look With the black and the gold. Very Nice. However it seems that I don't get any Comsat signals. Are there any known bugs? When I installed it I put the Jsat folder into Game Data. I am using Module Manager v.2.7.6

Please comment.

Edited by Mondoshawan

13 hours ago, Mondoshawan said:

Hello

I am just testing this mod in KSP 1.2.2. A very cool mod. It has a Borg cube look With the black and the gold. Very Nice. However it seems that I don't get any Comsat signals. Are there any known bugs? When I installed it I put the Jsat folder into Game Data. I am using Module Manager v.2.7.6

Please comment.

Unless I'm missing it you need to add

@PART[JSatFrame]
{
  vesselType = Probe
}

And if it was me I would do

@PART[JSatFrame]
{
  vesselType = Probe

MODULE
 {
   name = ModuleProbeControlPoint
   minimumCrew = 1
   multiHop = True
 }
 @MODULE[ModuleCommand]
 {
  hibernationMultiplier = 0.00125
 }
 @MODULE[ModuleKerbNetAccess]
 {
  %DISPLAY_MODES
  {
   %Mode = Terrain,#autoLOC_438839 //#autoLOC_438839 = Terrain
  }
 }

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = #autoLOC_502201 //#autoLOC_502201 = Review Stored Data
	storeActionName = #autoLOC_502202 //#autoLOC_502202 = Store Experiments
	evaOnlyStorage = True // i.e. can nearby regular vessels also do this, or EVA only
	storageRange = 1.3
	canBeTransferredToInVessel = True
	canTransferInVessel = True
}
}

1 hour ago, MeCripp said:

@PART[JSatFrame]
{
  vesselType = Probe
}

@PART[JSatFrame]
{
  vesselType = Probe

MODULE
 {
   minimumCrew = 1
   multiHop = True
 }
 @MODULE[ModuleCommand]
 {
 }
 {
  %DISPLAY_MODES
  {
  }
 }

MODULE
{

evaOnlyStorage = True // i.e. can nearby regular vessels also do this, or EVA only
	storageRange = 1.3
}
}

If I do take this over, I'll probably be including your patch, if that's ok

10 hours ago, MeCripp said:

@PART[JSatFrame]
{
  vesselType = Probe
}

@PART[JSatFrame]
{
  vesselType = Probe

MODULE
 {
   minimumCrew = 1
   multiHop = True
 }
 @MODULE[ModuleCommand]
 {
 }
 {
  %DISPLAY_MODES
  {
  }
 }

MODULE
{

storageRange = 1.3
}
}

Thank you. I will try out Your first suggestion. I tried to input Your first suggestion into SatFrame.cfg but it failed. Please note that I have no Programming skills.

I may have found another bug. When I turn off 'Electric Charge' I cannot turn it on again. I did a Control test With a MK1 pod afterwards and it worked.

Edited by Mondoshawan

3 hours ago, Mondoshawan said:

Thank you. I will try out Your first suggestion. I tried to input Your first suggestion into SatFrame.cfg but it failed. Please note that I have no Programming skills.

I may have found another bug. When I turn off 'Electric Charge' I cannot turn it on again. I did a Control test With a MK1 pod afterwards and it worked.

If you turn off electric charge and there isn't a manned pod, you won't be able to turn it back on again.  Not a bug, just reality 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/16/2017 at 7:28 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

If you turn off electric charge and there isn't a manned pod, you won't be able to turn it back on again.  Not a bug, just reality 

Hi,

If you are still interested in this mod, please take it over, really busy in life to continue working on this, here by i give you permission.

thanks

@linuxgurugamer

by the way is you are interested in taking this over, an idea i had and never came to make it, was to create a hollowed wall and also, some parts for battery and electricity generation and different fuels that would sit nicely in the box. never got to make the models or anything else for these ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, good news, I think my two mods (this and the stational constructs) will have two developers, you see, for past few months I was really busy, because these two mods are mostly part files that utilize other mods (specially stational cunstruct) i never thought about needs to update them, also, when it comes to balancing, I am terrible in balancing for the game, thankfully linuxguru is helping me from now on, although, as we all know, he is a monster when it comes to maintain sooo many mods :wink: meaning that he will be busy most of the time. I think I will change how configs wirk a little bit, breaking config file apart using module manager, specially for stational construct, this way, for example, nodes will have their own config file and after the first deployment of the mod, wouldn't need to be tweaked. also, those config changes suggested above will be added to the mod soon. so, if anyone have any idea for any parts to be added to each of those two mods, please yell and ask for :wink: for time being, i am thinking about adding a wall to this mod with a mechanical iris for opening a hollow into the wall :D

Ok guys, progress :

1- added the fixes above,

2- take a look at pictures :D

90JFP-N9SkOFhB4QloSF5g.png

Wknz3Uv6QyCfcAQ62z8upA.png

9G629LVWQt2DylrhEgzpYg.png

meaning, I added configs for the texture unlimited mod, what do you think?

next up will be the hollowed wall with mechanical iris in it, if you want a preview, this is the iris part, forget about the test texture on the render, it's just there to show the inner ring is rotating

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5axs4e5tnosos7/Mechanical Iris.avi?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

O~K

for time being, updated the mod as it is, moved the download site from course forge to space dock (link in OP). Will add the hollowed and lens walls later when i have time. was struggling with the idea of adding internal parts for batteries, RTG, RCS and fuel tanks what would sit in corners nicely but want your opinion on this one, as it is, there are tons of par mods out there, but fitting them inside a cube is a little bit tricky and sometimes increase part count for what you have in mind. so, what do you think?

• 9 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.