[1.9.x] NSS/OctoSat-SOAR Continued (Modular Satellites, Reusable launchers)

linuxgurugamer

This is a continuation of the NSS/OctoSat-Soar mod originally started by @Nookos, original thread is here

The original mod included an Airbus A300.  It is incomplete, the wheels don't work, therefore I will NOT be including it in this.  However, the Soar  shuttle is mostly complete and working, so it will be included.  But don't expect any model changes to it.

Download from Spacedock:  http://spacedock.info/mod/1074/OctoSat Continued

License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Download from Github:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/NSS/releases

Source code:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/NSS

Notice

• The Firespitter mod has been removed as a dependency
  • The Selectable Data Transmitter has been removed as a dependency
  • The InterStellarFuelswitch has been added as a dependency

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

The current download includes up-to-date DLLs for the various mods

To my mind, the real beauty of this mod comes from the satellite system, as shown below:

KSP_OctoSat_Banner.jpg

Content:

KSP_OctoSat_Parts.jpg

Video preview of version 0.5 by KottabosGames. Thank you sir.

Features

• Texture Switch - 8 colours as shown above
  • Remote tech support
  • AntennaRange support
  • AntennaRangeRelay contract pack support
  • RealPlume support
  • TweakScale support
  • ScanSat support
  • Stack Symmetry (2) Thanks to @Hexicube

On the OctoSat Gargantuan Dish and OctoSat Side Dish:

• Adjusted packetInterval down, they were too low which resulted in too-high a transmission rate
  • Adjusted packetResourceCost down
  • Reverted the Garguantuan back to a standard antenna
  • Added a Garguantuan Relay, which is heavier and uses more EC than the Garguantuan
  • Adjusted the values for OctoSat Core Guidance Module to be inline with stock
  • Adjusted values for OctoSat Side Guidance Module to be inline with stock
  • Updated BahaSP component

Known issues (if you have a fix thanks for sharing)

• It snaps on the node next to the one I want - No known fix - Workaround: Place it on the snapping node then Alt + LMB your module to copy it and place it on the desired node that will be easy to get now. Delete unwanted node
  • Half core top module snaps on bottom module but doesn't stack properly. It seems to be due to the side nodes being on the top modules. - Workaround: Stack downwards. First an half core top module then half core bottom module.
  • Antennae animation problem: doesn't extend when transmitting ( still looking for a fix) / No animation in VAB ( seems like stock don't either)
  • The science modules don't register for contracts on satellite. See MM patch and more info here and in archive file.
  • Texture switch works in VAB/SPH for shrouds but not ingame.

Credits:

Installation:

• Delete previous version if you had one.
  • Copy the content of GameData in your GameData folder
  • You can remove folders to select what you want installed or not. There is no dependencies between the manufacturer. NSS for the Octosat, Airbus for the A300, S3 for SOAR Concept.

License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 11/17/2016 at 3:16 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

<snipped long quote of OP>

can i give you a suggestion? changing of the textures as a whole? i mean, the look on that golden outside is nice but still, something with looks of electrical instrument and maybe emissive texture (without an animation, just full emissive from start) would look nice, also, the gray and black look almost vanishes when the sat is complete. I know many many people say they love stock alike textures, but trust me, there are many sci fi panel and wall texture available online that will go nicely with ksp and people would love to see them. problem is, many developers are not brave to give them a try. if you need to i can provide you with normal maps using quixel suite.

anyways, thanks for reviving this mod

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Trimmed quote.

8 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

can i give you a suggestion? changing of the textures as a whole? i mean, the look on that golden outside is nice but still, something with looks of electrical instrument and maybe emissive texture (without an animation, just full emissive from start) would look nice, also, the gray and black look almost vanishes when the sat is complete. I know many many people say they love stock alike textures, but trust me, there are many sci fi panel and wall texture available online that will go nicely with ksp and people would love to see them. problem is, many developers are not brave to give them a try. if you need to i can provide you with normal maps using quixel suite.

anyways, thanks for reviving this mod

Suggestions are always welcome, but I'm wondering if you even tried the mod?  You can change the textures on the fly inside the VAB.  

I'd be happy to include more textures.  Take a look in the directory:  NSS\TextureSwitch to see what's already there.  Thereare the following color textures: Gold;Anthracite;Blue;Orange;Red;Silver;White;Green

Re. quixel suite, I assume you are talking about this:  http://quixel.se/suite/

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Suggestions are always welcome, but I'm wondering if you even tried the mod?  You can change the textures on the fly inside the VAB.  

I'd be happy to include more textures.  Take a look in the directory:  NSS\TextureSwitch to see what's already there.  Thereare the following color textures: Gold;Anthracite;Blue;Orange;Red;Silver;White;Green

Re. quixel suite, I assume you are talking about this:  http://quixel.se/suite/

Yah i looked at the textures, what i was meaning was something like what i have on the cube's outside, you know, something more sci fi looking.

and yah same quixel suite, very bad ass photoshop plugin when it comes to normal map generation

36 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

Yah i looked at the textures, what i was meaning was something like what i have on the cube's outside, you know, something more sci fi looking.

and yah same quixel suite, very bad ass photoshop plugin when it comes to normal map generation

If you make new textures, I'll be happy to include them

50 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

I'll give it a try sir, you want me to do the normal maps too?

I'll admit, I don't know what you are referring to :-)

Whatever you think, I'll take what I can get.

Keep in mind that there IS a tweakscale config for this mod, so the parts can get very large if desired..

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll admit, I don't know what you are referring to :-)

Whatever you think, I'll take what I can get.

Keep in mind that there IS a tweakscale config for this mod, so the parts can get very large if desired..

normal maps are textures that are responsive of reflecting the light on the part in a way that fakes the bumpiness on the part better than simple grayscale bump maps, for using them you would need to change the material of the parts in unity to ksp's bump one, if you want to i will fork the source with everything from git or any repo you may have and change the materials and put the textures and send it back to you :wink:

592668c805474bbdaa47848aef965a7b.png

see the bumpiness on the central part? that part's face is totally flat and that is the result of normal maps

Edited by Jiraiyah

6 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

normal maps are textures that are responsive of reflecting the light on the part in a way that fakes the bumpiness on the part better than simple grayscale bump maps, for using them you would need to change the material of the parts in unity to ksp's bump one, if you want to i will fork the source with everything from git or any repo you may have and change the materials and put the textures and send it back to you :wink:

If you are willing, then great.

Here is the Github:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/NSS

Looking forward to what you come up with!

6 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

hmm you may need to pm me a pack with the fbx models + unity projects because if i am gonna add the textures for bump map and possible emmisive ones, we would need the fbx + unity projects

The chance he has them are alittle slim you can try

and blender but then your going to need unity also hope it helps

On 18.11.2016 at 9:28 PM, Jiraiyah said:

I'll give it a try sir, you want me to do the normal maps too?

yeah do NRM maps :)

Question: Where have normals to be done? Photoshop, Unity, Blender?

Edited by LeLeon

12 hours ago, LeLeon said:

yeah do NRM maps :)

Question: Where have normals to be done? Photoshop, Unity, Blender?

well, the creation of the normal maps depends on what softwares you have, I have quixel suit so i do them in photoshop and i'm telling you, that plugin do wonders for normal maps and worth the money. But there are other options, for example, if you know how, you may even build them yourself in photoshop using layers and effects, you can use zbrush, you can use other softwares like bitmap to material one. there are many softwares/plugins doing this

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI on the Octosat package.  The BahaSP component (included) is an older version from June 29 (version listed as 0.0.0.0) that breaks mods that use a more recent version from September 23(0.6.4.2).  I found it broke USProbes from Raidernick because the animations no longer worked (couldn't open solar panels or lower legs etc).  I have not really tested Octosat with the newer Baha because I haven't unlocked it yet!  If I have a chance, I will give that a try to see if the newer version breaks it.

Edited by billgarlic

• 3 weeks later...

New release 0.1.3:

On the OctoSat Gargantuan Dish and OctoSat Side Dish:

• Adjusted packetInterval down, they were too low which resulted in too-high a transmission rate
  • Adjusted packetResourceCost down
  • Changed to be a dual-purpose antenna with the replacemnt of ModuleDataTransmitter with SelectableDataTransmitter
  • Updated BahaSP component

Edited by linuxgurugamer

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release 0.1.3:

Why is the large Core Guidance part worse than the Side Guidance part? Seems like it would make more sense if the values they have were reversed.

The Core has 10 Electric Charge and 0.015 Reaction Torque

The Side has 15 Electric Charge and 0.08 Reaction Torque (Though the torque needs more EC than the core)

1 hour ago, RadialThrone1 said:

Why is the large Core Guidance part worse than the Side Guidance part? Seems like it would make more sense if the values they have were reversed.

The Core has 10 Electric Charge and 0.015 Reaction Torque

The Side has 15 Electric Charge and 0.08 Reaction Torque (Though the torque needs more EC than the core)

Those values were not adjusted in this release.

Look at the relative size of them in the Editor.  The Side guidance module is much bigger than the core module, so it does make sense.

On 1/1/2017 at 8:55 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Those values were not adjusted in this release.

Look at the relative size of them in the Editor.  The Side guidance module is much bigger than the core module, so it does make sense.

Fair enough.

Any chance of getting an octosat docking port? Because the stock 0.625 is a little too small, and while the stock 1.25 "fits" it's a round part so doesn't look quite right. Maybe a 1.25 dock meshed together with the octo-1.25 adapter part?

1 hour ago, RadialThrone1 said:

Fair enough.

Any chance of getting an octosat docking port? Because the stock 0.625 is a little too small, and while the stock 1.25 "fits" it's a round part so doesn't look quite right. Maybe a 1.25 dock meshed together with the octo-1.25 adapter part?

I'm not a modeler.  That being said, if someone would make a model for it, I'll consider it.

However, keep in mind this is a satellite, not something that is normally docked to.

Frankly, the 0.625 is ideal, since all you need is to grab it, not go into it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.