The Elkano challenge (all versions accepted!)

• 1 month later...
On January 9, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Magzimum said:

Don't try to drive. Embrace that low gravity and realize that you will spend more time above the surface than on it. Install enough reaction wheels. You will spend more time flying than driving, so you make sure that the nose is pointed in the right way with reaction wheels, not with the (front) wheels.

I managed to get around Minmus at roughly 30 m/s on average (post is near the top of this thread). Dres was way harder, because of the rough terrain.

I had a Elcano attempt, Minmus killed my rover 6 times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd finish what I started, so here's a trip around Eve's equator. Compared to the last design, this rotor based rover-boat moves faster, carries 4 passengers and handles rough terrain with ease. Sadly it can only run on 1x warp and builds up a strange shake after a while which can only be fixed with a quicksave. In theory this craft could easily go around Kerbin as well but I'm afraid I just lack the patience for another run.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, gilflo said:

Hello 

Here is my RoverCatamaran for the Elcano Maritime Challenge tested from 130m/s to 170m/s in ocean

455488screenshot566.png

919360screenshot563.png

Looks cool 

Oh reminds me that i havent updated the learderboard for many months now

I will do it.

Edited by rkarmark

Some news of my team

My RoverCatamaran named "GlidingCheetah" has been modified with a 3rd directional fin in the middle for a better yaw stability at high speed on water.

When being lighter and lighter due to liquid fuel consumption during water run, the speed increase dramatically and i tested it on a half run. I must set the pitch trim to negative value to to avoid lifting from water.

So nose being down the Gliding Cheetah stay stable around 160m/s at warp 4. I am afraid i will have to slow down on engine on lighter weights to avoid unwilling take off, i will test it later.

It becomes uncontrollable at this speed!!! on this Pic SAS was on and pitched up for stability making the catamaran take off and crash

534423screenshot568.png

Here in SPH

617248screenshot588.png

For refueling I equipped with floating tanks an OPT Tanker spaceplane re designed with 2 J61 Starwaster Ramjet engines

Here is the baby: 535T on take of and 76000L Jet fuel. Filling Gliding Cheetah requires around 8000L. The purpose is to refuel in water, not on ground, because it's much easier to land on calm sea even in dark...

522700screenshot587.png

2 KAS Fuel lines on each floating tank can be extended and plugged to connectors on each side of the catamaran hull. And my Kerbals swim very well.

In the water, the first take at full load can be tricky and a RCS vernor engine can help lift off. At lighter weight, no problem. Landing is easy: up to 8m/s vertical speed is possible provided the plane get a nose up attitude on splashdown.

here is a landing

938355screenshot586.png

The Tanker is like a duck on the ground, not very confortable to run. I must be very careful, enter water on low slope and low speed as there not to much clearance between floating tanks and ground.

It's very difficult to turn in water, nearly impossible, so Gliding Cheetah will have to come to the tanker to suck the fuel.

There is 4 big speed brakes  and extending gear underwater is very helpfull to decrease water speed.

Entering water: there's no more speed brakes below and on each side of tanks. They all broke under water force..;

389814screenshot573.png

The tanker can easily climb to 20000m or more to cruise, but it is limited by the floating temperature which is 1200°. It can't fly over Mach 3.5

Next test to see the range of the GlidingCheetah, her max speed on light weight. I know where I will be crossing on ground and i'll have to slow down on speed on this part to avoid accidental break.

Challenge is to perform the maritime tour in 2 days....

Edited by gilflo

My main problem with the OPT hydro Tanker is the following:

Once at stop on the mater or at slow speed with no thrust, the plane wave up and down around pitch axis and it never stops. I tried a lot of settings with center of lift behind the COG and whatever is the position of COL it will always wave....and it stops as soon as there enough speed.. I tried bigger floating tanks, I moved the floating tanks, but it 's still there. Maybe I should try other tanks but this particular kind of OPT tanks are very useful for floating...

But anyway, even if it's waving and even if it's uncomfortable, the kerbals can plug the fuel line to the Gliding Cheetah

227635screenshot577.png

Edited by gilflo

Many attemptss to look for the best settings at high speed when weight decreases.

Here 219m/s (390kts) with SAS on, but the directional trim trims right to keep stability and the Catamaran being no centered anymore when trims reaches 2° right, the speed decreases...

So i went to SPH to try to align all components at the best before new attempt.

476835screenshot601.png

KERBIN MARITIME ELCANO CHALLENGE (MODDED)

Engines: 2 J-X4 "Wishpash" turbo ramjet engines - Weight: 62T - Liquid fuel: 44236L or 8.847T - TWR: 0.43 (1.5 Empty) - DV: 49121

DAY 1

Planting the flag for a Departure date DAY 2 at 01h45. 

The RoverCatamaran "Gliding Cheetah" is waiting departure time. Standing behind is the OPT Hydro tanker that will feed her at her first stop after around 1000kms

232219screenshot591.png

Here is the track on which you can see the waypoints that are represented by numbers, 0 being departure.  Flag will be planted only on ground track. We made the choice for sea refueling, just because it so easy to land on sea were we will be during most part of the challenge... It just take more time to approach the tanker and stop really near it....

898328KerbinmaritimeElcano.jpg

Gliding Cheetah will sail East and North East from Departure to reach a point as near as waypoint 3 which is the entrance to the only land track (WPT 3 to 5). The idea is to cross the land during day light. Leaving at 01:45, a great part of the maritime track will happen during night and WPT 1 and 2 are set to avoid reefs during night and check track. She should arrive at sunrise around WPT 3 with just enough fuel to maneuver to the tanker.

Pulling up at 01:45

304903screenshot593.png

We are entering the sea

700525screenshot596.png

I don't set full throttle, just taking time to take the right heading, check fuel is balanced for all tanks, except the 2 front wings B9 tanks that will be kept full until all fuel is used. During the attempts in the sea, we realized that Gliding Cheetah was better balanced at low weights, as fuel is used,  with some weight staying in the front and using carefully the pitch trim to give a little lift at the front to speed up.....

801990screenshot597.png

Last glance at the nearby islands

155076screenshot599.png

Checking the Scansat Mapand the small Zooming map to the next waypoint, WPT 1, which is around 290 kms far

299545screenshot601.png 

At the beginning our Grossweight is 61T and speed between 120 and 130m/s (250 kts) at full throttle and as weight will decrease, speed will increase but at a certain limit we will have to throttle down to keep our stability. All settings allow max speed at TimeWarp 4!

Approaching WPT 1, weight is 47T and speed 164m/s (near 300kts) still at full throttle and it's really nearly our maximum speed

963423screenshot606.png

Passing WPT 1 at max speed

481457screenshot608.png

To set course on WPT 2 at 630 kms I just play on the thrust of each engine, leaving 80% on the left one to change smoothly the heading from 99° to 54°. It's less dangerous than using the yaw, even with 50% deflection

380316screenshot609.png

Speeding up to 170m/s, max speed after WPT 1

553076screenshot611.png

WPT 2 is at 272 Kms, speed only 141m/s and half throttle with pitch trim near up position. As weight is lowering, we must decrease speed to avoid crash, to much speed and the catamaran is shaking around yaw axis. 

597801screenshot613.png

Too much shake and I must throttle down and pitch down immediately or use SAS which pitch down also....to avoid crash

Approaching WPT 2

506829screenshot614.png

Passing WPT 2, day is rising, maybe we should have left Kerbin base 15 or 30 mins earlier....

832382screenshot616.png

Sun is rising, max speed is falling, throttle 1/3 and we get still nearly enough range to reach WPT 3 at 300 kms

112643screenshot617.png

Our 1st stop is at 76 kms from WPT 3, time 04:35, gear down and speed brakes up to stop as quickly as possible and stay stopped...

295619screenshot620.png

It's time to call for refueling and we set Gliding Cheetah position as waypoint for the tanker.

TO FOLLOW

Edited by gilflo

REFUELLING

It's night at Kerbin Airport and the OPT Hydro Tanker is ready for take off with its 75000L of liquid fuel.

Spoiler

354295screenshot621.png

Taking of from the runway, the tanker will follow the heading to the Gliding Cheetah, distance to target is 990km 

Spoiler

754310screenshot636.png

After take off, left turn and climb to 18000m

Spoiler

239756screenshot638.png

We are limited by the temperature of floating tanks that cannot exceed 1200°. Max mach is 4.4 and we use pilots assistant to cruise and warp 4. Flight enveloppe is thin, not far from stall speed and limited by M4.4.

Spoiler

532032screenshot641.png

Leaving continent at rising sun over mountains

Spoiler

851158screenshot644.png

We begin descent 200kms from target using Pilot assistant and here we are at 44 kms from the target

Spoiler

378904screenshot645.png

Passing over the Gliding Cheetah (under right wing) we need to touch sea with a vertical speed not over 5m/s speed around 110, still using PA for vertical control

Spoiler

473090screenshot647.png

Flare and landing

Spoiler

791459screenshot648.png

921964screenshot649.png

The tanker is set as waypoint and Gliding Cheetah begins her approach

Spoiler

194320screenshot650.png

Not easy to lead the catamaran near the tanker, because the tanker is waving non stop on its pitch axis (we never found the trick to stop that) and it could damage the catamaran. There's fuel lines on the front of each floating tanks and also near each door of the tanker.

Spoiler

113422screenshot651.png

ladders are extended on each crafts and Jeb swim to the tanker to take the fuel line

Spoiler

512991screenshot652.png

Spoiler

167736screenshot653.png

and brings it to connect it on Gliding Cheetah

Spoiler

521221screenshot654.png

The line is long enough and the refueling can start

Spoiler

879764screenshot657.png

Unpluging line after refueling is completed and the line will retract automatically.

Spoiler

673734screenshot659.png

Once everything is finish we realized that we forgot to fill the 2 front B9 wing tanks, so final fuel will be 91%, but it's not a big deal to cross the land....

Spoiler

378655screenshot664.png

Time is 05:25 on day 2, it looks 50 mins to make the flight and refuel.

Edited by gilflo

SECOND PART: Crossing continent and sea again

Departure DAY 2 Time 05:30 heading to beach to cross the continent part.

Spoiler

224518screenshot666.png

Entering the mouth

Spoiler

252180screenshot668.png

Approaching a small sand inlet to cross before a small lake to cross

Spoiler

441647screenshot671.png

Planting 1st flag on the inlet, it looks like the sun is going to leave before we finish to cross the continental part....Bad calculation at departure!!

Spoiler

785179screenshot673.png

In water again for a short time

Spoiler

[url=http://www.hostingpi

Spoiler

cs.net/viewer.php?id=466862screenshot674.png]466862screenshot674.png[/url]

Now we are going to head North East to the next lake. I put a lot of way points on this track that need to be very accurate to avoid accident, because Gliding cheetah is not so easy to drive on land..

Spoiler

859901screenshot675.png

Night is falling and we will have to cross with the help of headlight only and we get the GPS map we can zoom...

Spoiler

409568screenshot678.png

Max speed will be 70m/s

Spoiler

456960screenshot683.png

Mountains in the background...

Spoiler

133501screenshot686.png

New lake with an isthmus to cross ahead

Spoiler

853042screenshot690.png

Slowing down when approaching isthmus

Spoiler

480254screenshot691.png

Still in water approaching the end of the lake

Spoiler

883037screenshot695.png

Out on the beach of the lake which is the last one before sea, Jeb plants a new flag

Spoiler

574138screenshot696.png

DAY 3 Time 0:25, starting for the last land crossing, 45Kms to reach the sea

Spoiler

113703screenshot700.png

Really dark here: Jeb wanted to do it at daylight....that's not really a success!!!

Spoiler

793540screenshot703.png

Jumping at 7m in the dark night, mountains in background

Spoiler

343789screenshot708.png

Last slope to sea

Spoiler

178921screenshot712.png

We can hardly see the Ocean

Spoiler

356523screenshot718.png

Here is the Ocean, we stop to plant the last flag before Kerbin base....Now it's sea navigation until the base...We did the most dangerous part in the night..!!!

Spoiler

675815screenshot722.png

Right engine at 3/4 throttle to take the heading to the next waypoint which is 413 km ahead...It's a small island we must avoid before crossing a large Ismuth to the next Ocean

Spoiler

421539screenshot725.png

Abeam the island, the isthmus is now 391 kms ahead of us, heading 126°

Spoiler

180473screenshot731.png

Approaching the isthmus, sun is rising

Spoiler

412489screenshot734.png

Crossing the isthmus, the shoreline is on background, we have enough range to continue a little far before the next refuel...

Spoiler

432651screenshot737.png

DAY 3 Time 02:49 , Time since departure: 1DAY 1H 04mns 

Stop for the next refuel with 5mns range....we are 1018 kms from our tanker...

Spoiler

674766screenshot741.png

Edited by gilflo

On 7/4/2017 at 7:45 PM, TeiTimidea said:

Oi, is it okay if I just use Ven's stock part revamp? Does that count as Modded? (I ask 'cause I'm uploading the circumnavigation to youtube and would like my parts to look nicer.)

No sorry but the rules state

Spoiler

Stock - Mods can be used before the mission begins (such as using KER for design, HyperEdit for testing, etc), but no mods of any kind used during the record flight. No mods that add or modify parts, information, visuals, physics or any other aspect of the game are permitted during the mission. “Stock” means stock. (If you normally use mods, consider having a separate install if you want to go for this category.)

But if your craft works without mods you can go for stock craft which also allows visual mods (if your pc can handel it) 

Hi, i started a Mun circunnavigation last week, it is still in progress but i think it's time to start documenting it.  Else, i will have too much material to review at once.

My goal is to sample all the Mun biomes, visit most or all the anomalies and complete as many missions in the surface as possible ( i'm playing in career mode ). The rover is intended to be left in Mun as part of a renewal effort for my surface base, but it's capable of landing from low orbit, or taking off and archieve orbit.

The engines are also intended to soften rough landings in cliffs, and after coming from low orbit it has around 300 units of RCS available.  For normal operation it relies on solar power only.  It carries a pilot and scientist, originally i wanted an engineer too, but the wheels are so difficult to break that i decided not to include one in the mission.  It's all stock except for the cockpit, from the "Airplane Plus" mod, but my game is heavily modded, and i'm taking advantage of SCANsat to try to use the most eficient travel route to each biome.

Mission report thread coming soon :)

Spoiler

NZbifrv.png

h8B8rcX.png

JOie2Bz.png

Thinking about doing this

yeZv7Es.jpg

Does the red route qualify? Or does it diverge too much from the equator? If not, I assume the purple qualifies, correct?

Edited by qzgy

Here is the first part of the mission report:

The next part may take a few days, since i've been messing with mods lately trying to improve my fps.  But it should be much faster now with a decent (20ish) framerate. 

Edited by Ozelui

May I present the Hudson expedition, my stock craft submission for the circumnavigation of Minmus:

Circumnavigating Minmus proved much more exciting than expected. A combination of the bouncy-castle nature of Minmus roving and the fragility of my rover (I had wrecked it to the point of uselessness by the end) made for a surprisingly difficult mission. If and when I do another one of these, I think I'm going to test my rover to death before starting the circumnavigation.

Mod list:

Better Time Warp

Distant Object Enhancement

Engine Lighting

KER

Kopernicus

PlanetShine

Real Plume stock configs

Stock Visual Enhancements

Stock Visual Terrain

TextureReplacer w/ Rareden's skybox

Transfer Window Planner

2ND REFUELING

Departure of OPT hydrotanker from his last refuel place, we near WPT 3, where we refuel Gliding Cheetah, before land crossing, and our goal is near WPT 8 in the south east. The catamaran stopped at time 02:49

Spoiler

898328KerbinmaritimeElcano.jpg

Take off from sea, it's night here

Spoiler

484391screenshot5.png

Climb to 18000m

Spoiler

199895screenshot6.png

Cruise around 18000m at M4.4 maximum

Spoiler

181064screenshot7.png

Sunrise during cruise

Spoiler

825763screenshot10.png

Descent just 200kms from goal, here we pass west of WPT 7

Spoiler

654965screenshot12.png

20 kms from gliding Cheetah, the crew is preparing the Tanker for sea landing

Spoiler

513536screenshot14.png

Reducing speed and VS just before landing, we have passed Gliding Cheetah

Spoiler

730501screenshot16.png

Landed, the catamaran is behind us....We are going to turn by the left, reducing left engine to help 

Spoiler

253847screenshot18.png

Approaching the Catamaran

Spoiler

399749screenshot20.png

We stopped at distance and the Catamaran made his way to the tanker

Spoiler

887980screenshot22.png

Jeb is swimming in the water toward Gliding Cheetah with the fuel line. He climbed to the tanker nose to size it. There's 2 lines each side of the nose and on each OPT floating tank

Spoiler

677704screenshot23.png

Refueling in progress

Spoiler

302873screenshot25.png

Refueling completed,  nose fuel line is retracting

Spoiler

434592screenshot27.png

Day 3 03:32:17, refueling is finished, the Catamaran is ready for departure. The refueling mission took less than 45mns

Spoiler

199099screenshot28.png

Edited by gilflo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.