KSP Weekly: A new team member!

SQUAD

11 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Apart from the complete lack of any development news for, well, since forever? Note that I don't include working on bugs as development. I'd call that maintenance. 

Thanks for that.

*Bates breath*

You seem to have missed this line in the post, so Ill quote it for you..

"In like manner, we have began work on design task for future content that we’re really excited about, we will be giving more details in the upcoming weeks. "

10 minutes ago, stibbons said:

That's also a bizarre definition, so I guess it's consistent?

In what way bizarre?

I've worked on lots of development teams in over 30 years in IT and have always called fixing bugs "maintenance" and creating new features "development". 

3 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I've worked on lots of development teams in over 30 years in IT and have always called fixing bugs "maintenance" and creating new features "development".

And how often in your 30 years was performing maintenance worthy of criticism?

10 minutes ago, sjwt said:

"In like manner, we have began work on design task for future content that we’re really excited about, we will be giving more details in the upcoming weeks. "

They have been saying things like that for over a year. What we actually got was a given-up-on part pack tweak and some odds and ends. Oh, I know that there is a new version of the engine and such but that is all behind the scenes maintenance stuff. 

Where are the stock new planets, the new part technologies, the planetary features to explore, the deformable landscape, the sexy blue space-alien women?

4 minutes ago, stibbons said:

And how often in your 30 years was performing maintenance worthy of criticism?

Well, we tend to pay those guys less but apart from that - none, and none was mentioned. 

Edited by Foxster

I'm of the rare opinion that the game is nearly complete.  Just a few outstanding bugs I would like to see fixed first.  (see previous post)  KSP finishing development was bound to happen eventually and isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As far as the future developments mentioned by staff, that they aren't directly saying 1.3 makes me think DLC might be on the horizon.

2 minutes ago, stibbons said:

But it's OK for you to criticise others for doing that. OK cool.

You are making a leap that is not there to be made. 

I see great worth in maintenance, I'd just like Squad to get around to actually delivering some content instead of the never-fulfilled promises. 

And all the "We don't talk about new stuff cos folk get bent out of shape when we can't figure out how to make it happen" has grown real thin now. KSP is not beta anymore, it is a stable and released product. Time to start giving a development feature list and release dates like professional developers do. 

I'd be more than happy to pay more money for some new features. I'm not looking for something for nothing here. 

19 minutes ago, stibbons said:

You are saying that an hour after accusing Squad of not developing the game any more.

Sorry. You have lost me. I have literally no idea what you are on about. 

I said that Squad haven't done  any development. I didn't say there is anything wrong with the maintenance they have done.

Development and maintenance are not mutually exclusive you know? 

Edited by Foxster

10 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but what's "Baikerbanur"? Is it the old KSC?

Yeah I think it's the new name for it now that there are named tracking stations.

I'm wondering if this means there is code in stock for launching from places other than KSC.

1 hour ago, Foxster said:

Where are the stock new planets, the new part technologies, the planetary features to explore, the deformable landscape, the sexy blue space-alien women?

You do realize that we're not entitled to any of that, yes? 

1 hour ago, Foxster said:

I'd be more than happy to pay more money for some new features. I'm not looking for something for nothing here. 

Ah, very well then. I was concerned that you were demanding further development (especially by your definition, which I agree with) and expecting it to be free. 

I understand that Squad has made a habit of giving us free updates. But I'd say they could have stopped that long ago and that would be just fine. We bought a game as-is, and that's all that really should be expected. 

20 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

We bought a game as-is, and that's all that really should be expected. 

I misunderstood what early access was at the time.  I thought I was paying for a product in advance.  It seems I was wrong and I have learned my lesson.  Despite how much promise early access games may show, I will no longer give them money until they are completed.  That includes KSP2.

Edited by klgraham1013

Considering how the roster has changed over the years, I wouldn't put much stake in past promises. I think 1.2.x is the best this game has ever been, and I look forward to further refinement, even if we don't get any major new content like planets or multilayer (which I never thought would work well anyway).

Anyway, welcome to the new folks. Hope you can take some time to get familiar with the game code to keep things improving going forward.

Silly how ppl argue over every silly thing these days. chill out dolls. Were all in this together. foxster is right anyway. i read the whole thing.

Anyway, just wanted to add not to worry cuz theyd be really stupid not to keep developing KSP and adding stuff cuz theres thousands of ppl who 100% will buy any dlc released at full price. and me first i hope! this is one of the highest rated games of all time

Edited by Lightzy

3 hours ago, sjwt said:

You seem to have missed this line in the post, so Ill quote it for you..

SQUAD has unfortunately a certain history with "future content that we’re really excited about"...

Edited by cfds

On 11/18/2016 at 10:58 PM, SQUAD said:

Moreover, this week was spent looking at parts with multiple colliders, particularly regarding stock bearings and how performance with these might be improved.

Custom physic materials for some sides on some parts with a high crash tolerance, that's what I would do.

Since it's obvious Squad is interested in the more detailed side of engineering, here's the most important issue: Collider integrity based on part mass. Collider integrity means that if two parts are touching and a force is applied to push them together, part mass defines when they start to clip and phase through each other. This is obviously in the realm of fantasy, not even science fiction.

Collider integrity should be absolute or based on material type, never part mass. Much more can be gained with modifiers, in other words the breaking force & torque and crash tolerance of a part could be modified due to external factors. This opens another door towards more realism and real world engineering challenges.

9 hours ago, Foxster said:

KSP is not beta anymore, it is a stable and released product.

Doesn't that often mean that it does and should switch from feature development to maintenance? And that development should go into the next product. Which might be a new major version users have to pay to upgrade to, or a paid DLC, or even a totally different program.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.