KSP Weekly: A new team member!

SQUAD

On 2016/11/19 at 6:58 AM, SQUAD said:

Furthermore, the work on localization continues. This worked has included reworking the contract backstory generator to make it possible to localize in a sane manner.  Sadly, this does mean that the days of rambling semi-coherent contract backstories are numbered. In any case, this is why we’re here. Another interesting fact about the localization work: KSP has around 50,000 words that will be translated to 9 languages!

Those jobs seem quite hard works. cheer to the developers!
and then which are certain 9 languages?

<egrep console|seams|stutter|garbage ./devnotes>

Nope, not much of interest here.
But maybe...

On 19/11/2016 at 10:58 AM, SQUAD said:

an issue with the load game dialog where it doesn’t handle some OS errors very gracefully and you end up with an empty list and have to restart

And the incredibly slow loading of the load-game dialog in general? fixing this too while working on that code, yes?

Aside:

On 19/11/2016 at 10:58 AM, SQUAD said:

you couldn’t overwrite a subassembly by dragging onto the saved subassembly (We didn’t even know that existed until we were working on it)

You mean you don't know about features in your own game until you break them and someone files a bug report? Really? :confused:

On 11/18/2016 at 4:58 PM, SQUAD said:

Additionally we fixed a very old issue where if you have a vessel parked on the Launchpad at Baikerbanur you can’t Launch from the KSC until you clear that one

I might be reading between the lines here but does this have anything to do with the upcoming exciting new content.  Having the option to own and operate another facility is on my wish list.

10 hours ago, steve_v said:

You mean you don't know about features in your own game until you break them and someone files a bug report? Really? :confused:

Yes, I personally do not know every feature and process in the game. Less excited to share openly the details of my work now though. thanks.

1 hour ago, TriggerAu said:

Yes, I personally do not know every feature and process in the game. Less excited to share openly the details of my work now though. thanks.

Yo mate, dont bother with those people. Dont ever be discouraged to speak out and tell things the way they are- what's the alternative? being vague and misleading? that cant be good to anybody. There are a lot of people who believe in you and the team

Edited by EladDv

7 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

I personally do not know every feature and process in the game.

Never implied you did, or should. Quoting "SQUAD" (presumably the general "we" in the quoted comment), not any one dev in particular.
I certainly don't expect any single person to know every feature, but the team in general should have a pretty good idea (or be able to quickly find out) what does what... that's what documentation is for.

15 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

As a songwriter, I get where you're coming from, but letting one person get to you is not the wisest move.  Most of us appreciate hearing the details of development, even if it's not always to our liking.

Kraken knows, if I let everyone who was ambivalent toward my music get to me...

Edited by klgraham1013

Just now, Majorjim! said:

Can we have more info on the stock bearing changes @SQUAD?

I am concerned that literally hundreds of hours of work and creativity are at stake.. Please don't kill the smallest of KSP bearings! ;.;

Short version - we're looking at collider fixes, and looking to see what impact (if any) that they have on some of the more 'creative' uses players have had for some of the parts.  The good news is that prior to any changes going live, players (especially those who enjoy building the different contraptions, etc.) will have a chance to test them out in experimentals, so that we can mitigate any potential issues (or solicit feedback as appropriate).

6 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Short version - we're looking at collider fixes, and looking to see what impact (if any) that they have on some of the more 'creative' uses players have had for some of the parts.  The good news is that prior to any changes going live, players (especially those who enjoy building the different contraptions, etc.) will have a chance to test them out in experimentals, so that we can mitigate any potential issues (or solicit feedback as appropriate).

Excellent ... I feel the mad scientist awakening once again. I really hope you guys will look into the collider integrity issue like I explained on the previous page, currently that's the main obstacle we're facing.

@RoverDude, is there any chance the "All Part Upgrades Applied in Sandbox" box could be checked by default in Sandbox? Once people start using the upgrade functionality in a mod (or stock, presumably) there are daily posts in mod threads as to why something does work---which is invariably that they have not checked that box. Realistically, NOT applying upgrades would be the special case in Sandbox, no?

Just now, RoverDude said:

Fear subsiding slightly.. Thank you for the explanation. Personally I think the colliders for the thermometers and small extending antennas are just fine. *Sends Squad a fiver in the post :kiss:

Hey @SQUAD,

First off let me say, I think it is awesome that you are so active in the community and respond directly to a lot of peoples questions.  Not many companies actually do this, and it is greatly appreciated by me and many, many others.  That being said, is there any chance that we could get just a tiny morsel of info about what is or is not being done with the console release?  My main concern is the save data corruption issue.  I would honestly be happy with a simple "yes, someone is working on it but it will take time" or "we are not, at this time, working on it".  Thanks for any info you can provide.

P.S. KSP freakin' rocks and I can't wait to play again once the save corruption is addressed.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

players (especially those who enjoy building the different contraptions, etc.) will have a chance to test them out in experimentals, so that we can mitigate any potential issues (or solicit feedback as appropriate).

Paging EJ.  This is Squad calling.

1 hour ago, mibo22 said:

Hey @SQUAD,

First off let me say, I think it is awesome that you are so active in the community and respond directly to a lot of peoples questions.  Not many companies actually do this, and it is greatly appreciated by me and many, many others.  That being said, is there any chance that we could get just a tiny morsel of info about what is or is not being done with the console release?  My main concern is the save data corruption issue.  I would honestly be happy with a simple "yes, someone is working on it but it will take time" or "we are not, at this time, working on it".  Thanks for any info you can provide.

P.S. KSP freakin' rocks and I can't wait to play again once the save corruption is addressed.

This times a million :blush: pretty please, with sugar on top.

On 11/21/2016 at 3:57 PM, RoverDude said:

players (especially those who enjoy building the different contraptions, etc.)

will this be an open thing or invitation only @RoverDude?

On 11/20/2016 at 1:23 AM, Azimech said:

Since it's obvious Squad is interested in the more detailed side of engineering,

Hmm, not that obvious I don't think. I think they want to free up some game performance by changing part geometries. They know many people build basic bearings now, its common knowledge. They wisely don't want to break so many craft and our fun and hard work in the process.

It would be cool but I doubt what you propose is what they have in mind.

Edited by Majorjim!

Welcome @Ziggy Stardust!

duna Easter egg in his honor?

Spoiler

Ziggy played guitar,
jamming good with Wierd and Gilly,
And The Spiders from Mars.
He played it left hand,
but made it too far,
Became the special man,
Then we were Ziggy's Band.

Ziggy really sang,
screwed-up eyes and screwed-down hairdo
Like some cat from Japan,
he could lick 'em by smiling
He could leave 'em to hang
He came on so loaded man,
well-hung and snow white tan.

So where were the spiders
while the fly tried to break our balls?
Just the beer light to guide us.
So we poodleed about his fans
and should we crush his sweet hands?

Ziggy played for time,
jiving us that we were Voodoo
The kids were just crass,
He was the naz
With God given ass
He took it all too far
But, boy, could he play guitar.

Making love with his ego,
Ziggy sucked up into his mind
Like a leper messiah
When the kids had killed the man
I had to break up the band

Ziggy played guitar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.