KSP Weekly: A new team member!

SQUAD

3 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

@RoverDude was talking about the closed group Experimentals Team. As this will be a point release there is no public pre-release.

Thank you for the reply. He also stated that forum members who shown to use parts in creative ways, ie created some kind of mechanism will have a chance to test the geometry changes in the experimentals phase to see/mitigate/communicate anything that breaks contraptions/bearings/hinges as many people enjoy making these things and have spent countless hours making them in the game we love. To have that work broken is heartbreaking. As the maker of the smallest possible hinge in KSP I count myself among those who would like a chance to test the geometry changes as many, many people have incorporated my design into their builds and made some amazing things with them.

Will it not be the case that some users will be invited to take part in the experimentals phase of testing? 

Edited by Majorjim!

Unfortunately that's not how Experimental's works @Majorjim!.

I can safely say that there's a lot of the team passionate about ensuring that the creations that people make are not affected, cause that's part of the awesomeness of KSP (for many, many people - me included). And am dead sure that how best to test it will be discussed and designed by Jamie and the test team (lucky them :) ) when its time. 

Just now, TriggerAu said:

Unfortunately that's not how Experimental's works @Majorjim!.

I can safely say that there's a lot of the team passionate about ensuring that the creations that people make are not affected, cause that's part of the awesomeness of KSP (for many, many people - me included). And am dead sure that how best to test it will be discussed and designed by Jamie and the test team (lucky them :) ) when its time. 

Thank you too for the reply, I understand what you say about the testing and I am discussing it with a few users to submit some of my hinges as examples of what people use. In the hope they are not affected by any geometry changes. 

MJ

2 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Thank you too for the reply, I understand what you say about the testing and I am discussing it with a few users to submit some of my hinges as examples of what people use. In the hope they are not affected by any geometry changes. 

MJ

Anytime mate, examples are always good :)

And I understand completely the position of Squad on this. But I'd like to comment anyway. There's a tiny hardcore of users who've invested countless hours in understanding the low-level, mechanical physics of KSP and how they compare with real life. Being able to participate in experimentals helps enormously because what a 3D designer, programmer or physics major know all by themselves does not always combine into more than the sum of their abilities. Some users have the experience and this experience can shorten development time, better than frantically patching up after a major update because of unforeseen consequences. Maybe I'm wrong but for example I don't think Squad employees have the time to create a turboprop engine, attach it to an airplane and break my 1.5 year speed record, even if they would be an ex-JPL employee.

KSP is rather special in the games industry because of it's detailed physics; we're entering a new age previously unseen, the first embryonic phase of creating a universe inside this one. Now this might sound a bit too philosophical but logically it's where humanity is heading.

I've almost annoyed you guys enough. Here's a picture of my 80k kg, 50 blower turboshaft engined stock helicopter.

mjJPUSR.png

Now I'm done :-P

@Majorjim!, @Azimech : Your'e not annoying anyone at all, we were just clarifying the way experimental's work from the misinformation previously, didn't want you to be sitting there waiting for stuff and freaking out when 1.2.2 exp starts and theres nothing happening.

As before, there's a lot of people here who want to make sure those contraptions arent affected, cause for my 2c whats KSP without contraptions :)

3 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

@Majorjim!, @Azimech : Your'e not annoying anyone at all, we were just clarifying the way experimental's work from the misinformation previously, didn't want you to be sitting there waiting for stuff and freaking out when 1.2.2 exp starts and theres nothing happening.

As before, there's a lot of people here who want to make sure those contraptions arent affected, cause for my 2c whats KSP without contraptions :)

and on that theme. @Majorjim!, @Azimech if you want to compile your contraptions/vessels and share I can make sure QA give them a run.

Im really liking the fact that the devs seem to be focused on bugs nowadays.  If we can get the absolutely annoying terrain seam bug fixed ill be very happy since that is the only major issue i have with KSP atm.  That and perhaps show a little love for the console users too (i dont have a console but i know what it feels like when you were promised a good product and the end result ended up less then stellar and full of game breaking bugs that make it borderline unplayable, it has happened to me with other games).

Otherwise, im not exactly too hopeful, but id love to see a some sort of stock roket parts revamp done as it was with the spaceplane parts.  Its not exactly critical but some of those old models are really showing their age, and i think it would be a good idea to make a quick balance pass over the rockets (and command pods, why is the mk2 lander that bloody heavy) since there are still a few engines that have absolutely no reason to exist outside of aesthetic purposes where their shape just looks cool or fits your design.

Keep up the good work, hopefully 1.3 will not disappoint!  (and if it does, at the bare minimum we can expect a few bug fixes)

On 11/22/2016 at 0:57 AM, RoverDude said:

Short version - we're looking at collider fixes, and looking to see what impact (if any) that they have on some of the more 'creative' uses players have had for some of the parts.  The good news is that prior to any changes going live, players (especially those who enjoy building the different contraptions, etc.) will have a chance to test them out in experimentals, so that we can mitigate any potential issues (or solicit feedback as appropriate).

I'd be happy with a simple rotating the colliders half a panel.  Most of the (mostly older parts I think) conical and cylindrical colliders seem to have edges at the 0/90/180/270 degree marks.  If changing those could be snuck into changing collider behaviour, that'd be nice.  :-) 
As for messing with core collider code, my poor old CPU still has some spare cycles during KSP.  Bring it on!

On 11/19/2016 at 7:58 AM, SQUAD said:

Ziggy plays guitar

He rarely sings....

Welcome @Ziggy Stardust, like a cat from Japan.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.