It seems to me that 1.2 is jinxed

I'm not really sure where to put this, so if this is the wrong forum, someone can move it.

Beginning at 1.2s initial release, I have been plagued with issues preventing me from actually playing it. I'm on OSX and i haven't even gotten to the issues some people have has with it getting stuck at asset bundle definitions, i haven't even been able to open the game!

To begin with, every time i tried to download KSP from the store it failed. Be it installer or no, the download has either failed directly, predicted a downloading time of over 2 days, downloaded at roughly 2 kb per second or shown a "server maintenance" screen. And this was just on the iMac. Then, i decided to try downloading it on my small laptop to see if it was an internet problem. The windows version downloaded on that computer in less than an hour and a half. That is, of course, no use to me as it isn't worth playing on that computer in the first place. Instead I devised a plan to download the OSX version on that computer, then transfer it with a USB to the iMac. Turns out when downloading the OSX version I had all the same problems as before. Something must be wrong with the OSX download, i thought.

I then had a brilliant idea, since lots of people have evidently been able to download the OSX version elsewhere, i would get Ben to download it at his place, put it on a USB and give it to me. This worked. Ben managed to download it just fine (!!!) and he gave the USB to me today. Maybe half an hour ago, I sat down at the iMac, very excited as i would be able to play 1.2 for the first time. I transferred the file over to my Applications folder (like i always do), dragged the icon down to the dock to create a shortcut, clicked it and...

...It crashed almost immediately. I tried again and it did the same thing. And again. Even if i clicked the "don't reopen" button when the computer warned me that the application had crashed unexpectedly when i opened it last, it would still open... and crash immediately. I tried moving the KSP package out of the KSP directory and back in... didn't work. Then i tried moving KSP.exe out of the KSP package and back in... still didn't work. On thing i did notice however, is that the KSP package is now 1.41gb, instead of 1.98gb, but this is probably unrelated.

The thing that confused me most about this is that every other version of KSP has downloaded and opened like a charm.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(me venting my frustration)

-T

This belongs in Unmodded Support sub-forum.
OSX Sierra has a known issue, and there are a few threads in the Unmodded Support forum about this.

Basically:
OSX Sierra GateKeeper will quarantine any downloaded app. It randomly moves the files to a temp folder when you run it.
This causes problems for KSP and Unity apps.
By copying the folder permissions are changed and the quarantine removed. and then moving them back again. You can then execute the app.
Same goes for downloaded mods.

So what you do is copy the folder say onto your desktop and then move it back to Applications again - should fix it.

If that doesn't work, try this:
If you open the app bundle by right clicking on it and navigating the internal structure to the MacOS folder and run the executable directly.

6 hours ago, BT Industries said:

Okay... I've tried moving away and back the folder, didn't do anything. The smaller KSP package size is concerning me however, as some files seem to be missing from the resources > data directory.

Well if you only moved it and moved it back then you didn't follow the instructions.

So what you do is copy the folder say onto your desktop and then move it back to Applications again - should fix it.

If that doesn't work, try this:
If you open the app bundle by right clicking on it and navigating the internal structure to the MacOS folder and run the executable directly.

Can't say on you package size. Try re-downloading it if it's still not working. these instructions have had a 100% success rate for everyone who has had this issue so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my 2¢ here, but I find that the game seems to be a bit more stable if the games folder and contents is placed in the root folder of your HDD

For example:

GDJmacmini/Sierra SSD/KSP_OSX

Apart from:

GDJmacmini/Sierra SSD/applications/KSP_OSX

I've been doing this since the 0.19 days and so far it's worked great. The computer might ask for your login password to add the game folder to the root structure but it's a minor inconvenience.

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2016 at 10:45 PM, BT Industries said:

I'm not really sure where to put this, so if this is the wrong forum, someone can move it.

Beginning at 1.2s initial release, I have been plagued with issues preventing me from actually playing it. I'm on OSX and i haven't even gotten to the issues some people have has with it getting stuck at asset bundle definitions, i haven't even been able to open the game!

To begin with, every time i tried to download KSP from the store it failed. Be it installer or no, the download has either failed directly, predicted a downloading time of over 2 days, downloaded at roughly 2 kb per second or shown a "server maintenance" screen. And this was just on the iMac. Then, i decided to try downloading it on my small laptop to see if it was an internet problem. The windows version downloaded on that computer in less than an hour and a half. That is, of course, no use to me as it isn't worth playing on that computer in the first place. Instead I devised a plan to download the OSX version on that computer, then transfer it with a USB to the iMac. Turns out when downloading the OSX version I had all the same problems as before. Something must be wrong with the OSX download, i thought.

I then had a brilliant idea, since lots of people have evidently been able to download the OSX version elsewhere, i would get Ben to download it at his place, put it on a USB and give it to me. This worked. Ben managed to download it just fine (!!!) and he gave the USB to me today. Maybe half an hour ago, I sat down at the iMac, very excited as i would be able to play 1.2 for the first time. I transferred the file over to my Applications folder (like i always do), dragged the icon down to the dock to create a shortcut, clicked it and...

...It crashed almost immediately. I tried again and it did the same thing. And again. Even if i clicked the "don't reopen" button when the computer warned me that the application had crashed unexpectedly when i opened it last, it would still open... and crash immediately. I tried moving the KSP package out of the KSP directory and back in... didn't work. Then i tried moving KSP.exe out of the KSP package and back in... still didn't work. On thing i did notice however, is that the KSP package is now 1.41gb, instead of 1.98gb, but this is probably unrelated.

The thing that confused me most about this is that every other version of KSP has downloaded and opened like a charm.

(me venting my frustration)

-T

I noticed that you said KSP.exe. Make sure that the download is for MAC and not PC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.