[1.3.x] NovaPunch Continued: WIP / Alpha v0.1.4.4 (Apr 1, 2018)) Now on CKAN.

Padrone

Apr 08, 2018 - Now on CKAN.  Based on what I've seen, I will not be supporting CKAN problems.  it's supposed to be a 'one click and done' on Spacedock, according to the Spacedock FAQs.  So please address any questions/problems with CKAN installations to the CKAN team.  Thanks for  your understanding.

Apr 01, 2018 - 0.1.4.4 Correcting the fuel/oxidizer mix in the K1 second stage.

I hate to see really great mods languish, so I'm going to try to bring NovaPunch up to date.  The original mod thread can be found here.

I know, "No pics, No clicks".  So here's one Launch Vehicle:

![](NLaZDQh.png)

Imgur Gallery with other images: http://imgur.com/a/xiRRn (Nov 20, '16 Updated to include a sampling of the engines)

Change Log

Spoiler

2018 Apr 01 - 0.1.4.4 Minor update

Fixed K1 second stage LF/Ox mix.  You'll see a small dv increase in using this tank.
    BUT, you must replace the tank on any exising saved craft or sub-assemblies.

Thanks to forums user AlonzoTG for bringing that to my attention.

2018 Feb 09 - 0.1.4.3 GAME BREAKING UPDATE!

Temporarily removing the M50 engine, due to extreme stuttering.  

Deprecating the 1.25, 2.5 and 3.75 fairings as previously mentioned.

A tip of the hat to @AlonzoTG for letting me know about the M50 issue.

2017 Dec 05 - 0.1.4.2

Light testing with KSP 1.3.1 shows no issues, so I'm going to certify it for 1.3.1.

2017 Jun 18 - 0.1.4.0

Tightened up spacing between various Odin components.  (You shouldn't have to move the pieces closer together in the VAB to make it look right)

Moved several spacing nodes on the Bearcat engines, also to tighten up the spacing.

Moved all parachutes into the Aero category, moved several docking rings into the Coupling category, moved landing legs/pegs from Utility to Ground, and fine tuned other category entries.

Renamed several engines to have them show together in the VAB lists.  This should not affect any save games/craft.              

Made a tweaking pass at the example ships and subassemblies.

Please remember: The landing legs/pegs aren't really useable at this point.  I'm working on learning Blender and such to be able to fix them.

Also, the next release will remove the fairing mentioned below as being deprecated.

2017 Jun 15 - 0.1.3.1

I found no glaring issues after a quick run thru, so I'm marking this as compatible with KSP 1.3.  I'm taking a pass thru for tags and organization, then pushing a version out, probably this weekend.

2016 Nov 26 - 0.1.3.0

Please Note:  the 1.25, 2.5 and 3.75 Fairings are being deprecated.  They're basically heavier, more expensive versions of the stock units.  (To the point they are visually identical).  Please retire these parts from use.  They will be dropped in a future release.

• Rebalanced the 5m (Sluggo Delta Protective Shell) to match stock mass/cost.
  • Recategorization pass: I think everything shows up correctly if you're using Filter Extensions.
  • When Remote Tech is present, all Command Modules have a built in short range antenna. The CM's have a "Start Deployed/Start Retracted" button.  Deployed by default except for the Thor command module.  Also the Thor RCS/Antenna is covered.
  • When TAC-LS is present, YawMaster module also has 3 days of supplies for the crew.
  • Fixed Freyja heatshield issue.
  • Tweaked and renamed some of the ship examples.
  • Added two sub-assemblies, a Odin Command Module and an Odin/Thor lander set.

2016 Nov 21 - 0.1.2.1
I managed to leave out the Gamedata\NovaPunch folder from the last version.  So unless you caught my error, you'll need to look at your Gamedata folder and remove any errant folders/files:

GameData\Agencies\
                   GameData\Flags\
                   GameData\Parts\
                   GameData\Spaces\
                   GameData\MiniAVC.dll
                   GameData\MiniAVC.xml
                   GameData\NovaPunch.version

Then you can do the normal install by copying the enclosed \GameData\NovaPunch to its correct place with your other mods.

2016 Nov 20 - 0.1.2

• Shrank both RCS modules to be more in line with other mods/stock
  • Intial tagging
  • Got the Thor landing legs to animate (but no spring/damper, just indestructable)
  • Corrected Credits
  • Updated install instructions
  • Included removal of Mini-AVC instructions (if you simply must)

2016 Nov 19   0.1.1

• Fixed the forgotten Mini-AVC

2016 Nov 18 - 0.1.0 Alpha release of the NovaPunch Continued.

• Changed some configuration info to bring it up to date for 1.2.1
  • Moved some parts around
  • Updated the sample craft.  (Mostly replaced the fairings with stock procedural fairings.)  There was some aerodynamic wonkiness going on.

Next Major Step: Start working on getting the legs functional (Gotta learn Blender, Unity and Gimp, so this won't be quick.)

Still to do overall: (In no particular order)

• RealPlume support
  • Other stuff as I think of it
  • Listen to your comments and suggestions
  • Look at other requested mods once I get this one fully up to date.  Tiberion's shuttle parts has been requested.  I'm up for that, but I need to get a handle on Blender & Gimp.

Interested?  For now, it's only on  SpaceDock

Known Issues:

Spoiler

Some landing legs don't animate.  The Thor legs do, but they are nearly indestructible.  Will fix when I overhaul all the legs.

Credits:

Spoiler

SundayPunch - Original parts
NovaSilisko - Original parts
Captain Slug - Original parts
Omnivore (modeling, math & balancing research)
Straight Chillen (modeling and configuration)
Andras (playtesting and engine balance)
Tiberion (some stuff, including creating NovaPunch from the original two mods)
frizzank (NovaPunch resident artist)
bac9 (new textures for adapter plates)
sumghai (Agency logos)
Cpt Kipard (Agency Logos)
therealcrow999 (Agency Logos)
Padrone (Update to KSP 1.2.1)

License:

88x31.png   CCA-SA4

The contents of this mod are copyrighted by their respective original authors and released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. You can read the full terms of the license on the Creative Commons webpage by visiting Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by Padrone
CKAN box checked off on Spacedock

1 minute ago, Deimos Rast said:

just convert the landing legs to ModuleAnimateGeneric and call it a day

Thanks, I'll take a look a that.  I tried copying a configuration from the Wiki, and it didn't work.  But that wasn't the one I found.

1 minute ago, Padrone said:

Thanks, I'll take a look a that.  I tried copying a configuration from the Wiki, and it didn't work.  But that wasn't the one I found.

here is my AIES LegFix patch.

https://github.com/deimos790/AIES_Continued/blob/master/Extras/Essential/LegFix.cfg

note it will make them animate but that's it. they won't have suspension.

For now, i did the same to LLL legs. the config is so freaking complicated, especially if you did not designed the legs yourself. suspension values, corect name of the anims (hard if they are covered) etc.

but i like to see NP raise again. it was ever my prefered mod compared to KW.

Do you patch it or do you rewrite the config files? i dislike the patch over patch over patch method.

I can provide some balance help, if needed. Even if you do just patch, a repo on github would help at issue report and progress parsing.

I finished the main work on LLL, so i have some time.

Edited by LeLeon

3 hours ago, Padrone said:

Try this think i got them all

Spoiler

@PART[NP_ThorLanderstrut3]
{
        MODULE
        {
          name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
          animationName = Deploy
          isOneShot = false
          startEventGUIName = Extend
          endEventGUIName = Retract
          actionGUIName = Toggle  
       }
}

@PART[NP_ThorLanderstrut2]
{
        MODULE
        {
          animationName = Deploy
          isOneShot = false
          actionGUIName = Toggle  
       }
}

@PART[NP_leg_landerleg]
{
        MODULE
        {
          animationName = Retract
          isOneShot = false
          actionGUIName = Toggle  
       }
}

6 minutes ago, Padrone said:

@LeLeonI'm re-writing the base .CFG files.

And I was hoping to avoid learning Github so early,  but if this gets too complicated to track in the forums, I'll pile that onto the plate!

Yeah base configs! When i see my last module manager starts with 12000 patches, every mod without additional patches is welcome.

I just know github from fork-side, but i don't wanna miss this. Comfortable as hell. So you need help in any way? I'm career player, so balance is important to me.

Edited by LeLeon

Allright!  Thanks you ya'll, I got the two Thor legs working as far as animation.  The others refused their call to duty and still refuse to work. 

And by the way, the Thor legs appear to be close to indestructable for now.  I dropped a probe with four legs from the height of the water tower.  It bounced a few feet when it hit the ground.  I think I heard it laughing.

So for right now, I'm going to put the legs aside and get to work on the tagging.  That should be a defined task with a fairly quick arrival at the end of the first pass.

A shout out to @Deimos Rast, @LeLeon and @MeCripp for lending a hand so quickly!

49 minutes ago, LeLeon said:

Yeah base configs! When i see my last module manager starts with 12000 patches, every mod without additional patches is welcome.

I just know github from fork-side, but i don't wanna miss this. Comfortable as hell. So you need help in any way? I'm career player, so balance is important to me.

you must love my updates then:D

I used to always do base configs, but have switched to doing patches, and am sort of switching back to base configs. I actually discussed this with LGG before re-releasing RLA, and his advice (given his experience with KW) was to do base configs.

46 minutes ago, Padrone said:

Allright!  Thanks you ya'll, I got the two Thor legs working as far as animation.  The others refused their call to duty and still refuse to work. 

And by the way, the Thor legs appear to be close to indestructable for now.  I dropped a probe with four legs from the height of the water tower.  It bounced a few feet when it hit the ground.  I think I heard it laughing.

So for right now, I'm going to put the legs aside and get to work on the tagging.  That should be a defined task with a fairly quick arrival at the end of the first pass.

A shout out to @Deimos Rast, @LeLeon and @MeCripp for lending a hand so quickly!

Couple more things on the engines where you see

MODULE
{
      name = ModuleAnimateHeat
      ThermalAnim = EmissiveAnimation2
}

and change it to 

MODULE
{
	name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
	animationName = EmissiveAnimation2     // this also maybe EmissiveAnimation3,EmissiveAnimation,LR91_Anim
	responseSpeed = 0.001
	dependOnEngineState = True
	dependOnThrottle = True
}

EDIT- and you didn't have Frizzank in the credits has some of these are his work

Edited by Mecripp2
EDIT

1 hour ago, Deimos Rast said:

you must love my updates then:D

I used to always do base configs, but have switched to doing patches, and am sort of switching back to base configs. I actually discussed this with LGG before re-releasing RLA, and his advice (given his experience with KW) was to do base configs.

If licence is okay for that. Ugly example is Boxsat. Many patches for few parts. :wink: But without open licence, what should you do else. You have a better overview with base config, instead of these patchfiles. If you are looking for an error you have to take a look at too many files, sometimes. I've seen that in LLL. The both partdisabler.cfg were repurposed bovine waste. nothing were disabled, it just raised the patchnumber at start with ~160 patches. Actually i think about integrating the part titles in the basefiles, where i wrote a patch for. Unnecessary amount of patches. But i don't know if somebody is liquided then. ^^

Aunt Edit: Uhhm, board dislikes swear words. Cute.

Edited by LeLeon

32 minutes ago, MeCripp said:

EDIT- and you didn't have Frizzank in the credits has some of these are his work

I just did a Notepad++ look for "Author =" lines and am adding Frizzank, and HarvesteR in there.  Thanks for the catch, I thought I had them all, but doing it manually, well...  my bad.

I did a run thru and replaced all the ModuleAnimateHeats with FXModuleAnimateThrottles for the rockets.  Should I also change the Solid Fuel motors? 

17 minutes ago, Padrone said:

I just did a Notepad++ look for "Author =" lines and am adding Frizzank, and HarvesteR in there.  Thanks for the catch, I thought I had them all, but doing it manually, well...  my bad.

I did a run thru and replaced all the ModuleAnimateHeats with FXModuleAnimateThrottles for the rockets.  Should I also change the Solid Fuel motors? 

I change them all but did see not all bells are showing the heat not sure why have tried a couple of ways to write it will have to ask around and look in to it :(

EDIT- Mean some only 1 bell is showing heat

Edited by Mecripp2
EDIT

I'd agree about Configs reworks vs. patches.  If you're going to patch, patch.  If you're going to take on a labor of love and revive something, have mercy on other modders and change the source code!

When you can, of course.  Poor Boxsat!  I love that mod.  At least it's still alive.

@Padrone  you might take a look at

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceExperiment
        experimentID = crewReport
        experimentActionName = Crew Report
        resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
        reviewActionName = Review Report
        useStaging = False
        useActionGroups = True
        hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
        rerunnable = True
        xmitDataScalar = 1.0
        usageReqMaskInternal = 5
        usageReqMaskExternal = -1
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceContainer
        reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
        storeActionName = Store Experiments
        evaOnlyStorage = True
        storageRange = 1.3
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDataTransmitter
        antennaType = INTERNAL
        packetInterval = 1.0
        packetSize = 2
        packetResourceCost = 12.0
        requiredResource = ElectricCharge
        antennaPower = 5000
        optimumRange = 2500
        packetFloor = .1
        packetCeiling = 5
    }

EDIT- For the command pods

Edited by Mecripp2
EDIT

This is good, glad to see it live on!

On the history/ownership thing; Harvester didn't make anything for Novapunch, any part with his name in the config is likely a clone of a stock part he made, that I copied or modified to be bigger or something.

There's a list in the 1st post of the original thread, and the same info is in the readme file of the downloads:

SundayPunch - Original parts

NovaSilisko - Original parts

Captain Slug - Original parts

Omnivore (modeling, math & balancing research)

Straight Chillen (modeling and configuration)

Andras (playtesting and engine balance)

TIberion (some stuff)

frizzank (NovaPunch resident artist)

bac9 (new textures for adapter plates)

sumghai (Agency logos

Cpt Kipard (Agency Logos)

therealcrow999 (Agency Logos)

There's a few of the original parts by Nova, Sundaypunch, and Slug left. Most of the newer parts were modeled/textured by myself or frizzank and I did pretty much all of the config work. I don't think there's anything left by Omni, Chillen, or Andras now, but bac9's adapter plates and those logos by everyone are still around. Also, note listed there by HOPEFULLY in the readme is the IVA for the Freyja pod, which is by master Porkjet himself. (Odin and the others just use a stock IVA)

Anyway, good luck, send me a PM if you need info on something. :)

dont forget to add the defaultactiongroup = gear pretty sure thats the syntax. 

please dont add the mini avc. everybody winds up with 20 different versions of it running. if people want that then they are already running the ksp-avc.  del /s miniavc*.* will eradicate the vermin infesting your drive and ksp instance.

deimos and mecripp are working on getting the fairings to shield stuff for aies so that should probably be easy to replicate for nova as well using animated decouplers. 

so this is supposed to replace the current? if so might be a good idea to name the folder novapunch2 instead of novapunch so you dont wind up with duplicate parts. 

oh yeah thanks for doing this. there are loads of .2 and beyond mods that are really good but lots of people dont even know about them. 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

@COL.R.Neville Thanks for the info regarding the fairings.  I'll start following that thread to keep abreast of that.  I do have the defaultactiongroup already in the configs, even if the animation isn't working on all the legs yet.  I'll be releasing the next version tonight. That's mostly tagging, but with the Thor landing legs animated.

Yes, since @Tiberion appears to not have the time to maintain it, I've spun this off under the CCA-SA4 license.  His version has 'NovaPunch2' for the folder.  I'm thinking I might change my version from 'NovaPunch' to 'NovaPunchContinued'.  If I do that (which I'm leaning towards), it'll happen before this leaves Alpha status.

I'll update the install instructions to remind folks to remove 'NovaPunch2' in case their already using the old version.

I hear your concerns about the use of the MiniAVC, but I've got 44 copies of it in my career game right now, and haven't had a single issue.  Given the time-saving benefits of it to the mod users, right now I don't see a reason to stop using it.   However, I'll include something to show folks how to delete it if they choose.

And, you're welcome.  I felt it was time to start giving back to the community.  So I'm dipping my toes into the support/modding pool.

0.1.2 Released.  

• Shrank both RCS modules to be more in line with other mods/stock
  • Initial tagging
  • Got the Thor landing legs to animate. (but no spring/damper, just indestructible)
  • Corrected Credits
  • Updated install instructions
  • Included removal of Mini-AVC instructions (if you simply must)
  • Added engine shots to the Imgur gallery.
Edited by Padrone

In 0.1.2 download there is no "NovaPunch" folder in hierarchy, just it's subfolders directly in "GameData". May lead to some issues if someone follows given instructions blindly.
UPD. Checked more, probably engines and SRB should have "Engine", not "Propulsion" category? Decouplers should be in "Coupling", not structural. Fairings - "Payload", not "Aero". Somewhere found "1" and "2" category in .cfg, not sure how that should work. Hope that'll help...

Edited by Warro

Oi!  Sorry about that.  I've published v0.1.2.1, which corrects the folder issue.  Thank you for the heads up!

@Warro, I'll correct the issues you've found and have them in the next update.  That's before the end of the week.

@NotAgain I took a brief look, I'll put that on the todo list. Thanks for the idea!  I use RealPlume myself.

19 hours ago, Warro said:

<snipped> Checked more, probably engines and SRB should have "Engine", not "Propulsion" category? Decouplers should be in "Coupling", not structural. Fairings - "Payload", not "Aero". Somewhere found "1" and "2" category in .cfg, not sure how that should work. Hope that'll help...

Thanks for the catch on the missing NovaPunch folder!

Right now  I'm only going with the Stock categories:

Command Propulsion FuelTank Engine Aero
Electrical Structural Utility Wheel  

I hadn't looked into how to get NovaPunch working with Filter Extensions by @Crzyrndm.  But it's on my list.  (Which I should probably add to the to-do list now, huh?)

The "1" and "2" are tags standing for Size1 and Size2, which are also in some of the part's tags.  I probably should dump the numbers if they're not materially helping.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.