The Davy Crockett Challange.

DMSP

It's deep in the middle of the Cold War, The Republic of Kolonia and the Katax Union are in a nuclear faceoff. Weapons of mass destruction stand at a minute's notice.

But one Kerbal had a few to many shots, and decided: "-burp- I'l-I'll make a -hiccup- cuuute-r-r one"

Thus, the Radioisotope Thermal Grenade Launcher was born, code-named the Gravy Sockett.

https://i.imgur.com/9woVYaN.mp4

My challenge for you guys!

Recreate the Davy Crockett in Kerbal Space Program! The Davy Crockett was a nuclear "grenade launcher" that shot M-388 tactical nuclear warheads.
In this challenge, your M-388s will be stock RTGs.

The RTG can be the ONLY thing that is launched, via the exhaust of the ground based launcher.

No Engine or Fuel Tank mods are allowed. Structural ones, yes, and No BD Armory or Weapons ones. Feel free to use KIS/KAS fro reloading. The engines to launch it have to only be 0.625! Try to use 0.625 or structural parts!

The point grading system is as such:

Distance in meters+[Likeness to the Davy Crockett (my call) x10]+[Gravity of planet (in Gs) x100]+[Altitude of planet's atmosphere/100]=Points

The likeness to the Davy Crockett will be out of 10, and this will be my call. The reason for the atmosphere thing is well, you know, Drag.

So, my example would be: (Roughly) 100+05+100+70=275

Leaderboard:

Spoiler

1) tseitsei89=643
2) DMSP=275
3)

Here are some examples of the Davy Crockett below! I'd love to see some Jeep based designs, or ACPs or such!

FM23-30-Davy-Crockett-XM29-ready-to-fire

DavyM116.jpeg

An informative video if you want to learn the history:

Enjoy guys!

Edited by DMSP

1 hour ago, tseitsei89 said:

-snip-

Nice entry! I forgot to make one thing clear, it has to only use 0.625 or smaller engines. Otherwise we'll have mammoths in no time. Sorry, it was a great entry though, and I hope you do another one with the 0.625!

18 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

-Snip-Slashy-

8 hours ago, Kokanee said:

So followup question: Can the rtg itself have a motor attached or must the rtg be launched solely by exhaust power of a motor?

Good entries guys, but I'll clear up in the rules that the only thing fired can be the RTG. It can only be launched from the exhaust, and the launcher must be stationary enough.

On 29.11.2016 at 4:08 AM, Kokanee said:

Okay, entry is here: http://imgur.com/a/4q0pP    1196m!

I'm not OP but if I am not mistaken you are using a vector engine for the launch aren't you?

If so then from the opening post of the thread:

The engines to launch it have to only be 0.625! Try to use 0.625 or structural parts!

Vector is a 1.25m sized engine...

12 hours ago, tseitsei89 said:

I'm not OP but if I am not mistaken you are using a vector engine for the launch aren't you?

- snip -

I think if you look closer, he is using the thud radial engines... Dont know if that's allowed, but it technically isn't a 1.25 m part. (I guess)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.