The Jool Sarnus-10 Challenge

Tekto is a strange moon,  The low gravity and very thick atmosphere means that you have more drag losses then you have gravity losses during ascent, a lot more.  It is a bit strange that the isp of the engines are not affected more than they are, like on Eve.

I tried to make the Laythe lander reusable by adding a radial docking port, but the increased drag on Tekto cost a lot more,   And the mass saving for reusing the last stage of the Laythe lander was not that big, I would hav to bring the fuel anyway (to refuel the lander) and the Tekto lander is only ~400kg apart from the fuel tank.

6 hours ago, Nefrums said:

Tekto is a strange moon,  The low gravity and very thick atmosphere means that you have more drag losses then you have gravity losses during ascent, a lot more.  It is a bit strange that the isp of the engines are not affected more than they are, like on Eve.

I tried to make the Laythe lander reusable by adding a radial docking port, but the increased drag on Tekto cost a lot more,   And the mass saving for reusing the last stage of the Laythe lander was not that big, I would hav to bring the fuel anyway (to refuel the lander) and the Tekto lander is only ~400kg apart from the fuel tank.

Maybe the most efficient thing is to throttle back and maintain terminal velocity, much like the bad old days of the souposphere where you had a solid minute of going up at 2.0 TWR, crawling through low atmosphere at 100 m/sec?

21 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

If I use a reusable launcher will it not count against points? What I mean is if I use my SSTO rocket that delivers 200 tons to orbit and then land it at the KSC, refuel it, then recover it for full value will the launcher not count towards the 250,000 funds limit?

Also is ISRU allowed?

thanks.

1,Yes ISRU is allowed

2, Yes, but the funds of a refueler rover is counted

• 2 weeks later...

@JessShadowheart I don't know, so for now I'll stay in 1.2.1.

Also, I will make an attempt. I have so far made a prototype mothership with lifter and science module (200k) and have worked on the Laythe and Tetko landers. Those landers will probably take up most of the mass of the other landers. The mothership should be able to land on most of the other moons, but I haven't tested that yet. I need to work on a Tylo lander (I know for a fact I can get it down to about two tons) and maybe a medium lander for the medium moons that the mothership can't reach (like Vall).

So, I'm in.

EDIT: Okay, I have my basic plan fleshed out. There will be four landers plus the mothership (which is also a lander). One for Tetko, one for Laythe, one for Tylo, one for Slate/Vall/Eeloo, and the mothership will cover everything else. First I go to Sarnus and land on one of the small moons to refuel the Mothership. Then I go to Tetko to land with the lander and then discard it once the job is done. Then I go to Slate and land, with the final stage returning to orbit (The Tylo and Slate landers are the same but the Tylo one requires jetpacking) and I reuse the top stage for Eeloo. It re-docks and I land the mothership on the other small moon to refuel again. If I have extra cash, I'll send a probe into Sarnus. Then I head to Jool. Use the Laythe lander first because it is the heaviest, then re-use the Slate stage for Vall, use the Tylo lander, land the mothership on Bop and Pol, refuel there, maybe send a probe into Jool, and return to Kerbin where I brake into orbit and use the return capsule that also doubles as the docking port array. Also might be worth mentioning that this is a three Kerbal Mission. Although only one will land on everything.

Phew. It isn't finalized just yet, still need to add some science, but I'm fairly confident it will come in just under budget. If not, I can remove the RTG.

EDIT2: Here is a picture of what I've got so far. Also, I hope you don't mind that I'm using HyperEdit for testing ONLY and that I'm also using KAC. I respectfully ask to still be included in the "stock" category. If it works.

Behold: OCTAVIUS!

Tu5nCPe.png

Edited by Ultimate Steve

Welp, nothing went as planned, but I should* still be able to complete the mission. I ended up using a lot more fuel getting to Sarnus than I thought I would and I had to avoid a last-minute slate collision. So I ended up in an elliptical orbit with not enough fuel to land on Hale to refuel.

But, as it turns out, Sarnus is very aerobrake friendly. I seriously took my mothership down to 440k-ish and not even the solar panel broke off!

So now, I'm on a suborbital trajectory over Hale with 42m/s of Delta Vee left in the tanks. Fingers crossed here!

EDIT: Success!

iZncfaM.png

EDIT2: 3 down. 7 to go! If you count sending a probe into Sarnus, 4 down and 7 to go.

MmiTl0v.png

aWbZgA1.png

All Jeb so far.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I have built a Laythe lander who's final stage is an SSTO Tekto lander. Can't wait to finish the other landers and gate off to space.

On 12/10/2016 at 10:40 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Okay. OCTAVIUS is read for launch, coming at exactly 249,999:funds:.

aOy0EXA.png

Awesome ship. You really used all the funds you could didn't you lol.

It's been a while. As I type this, I'm burning for Jool. Here are the Ovok and Eeloo landings:

gzUaykT.png

xzGB6aW.png

EDIT: Ah, darn. Now I have to warp ten years. Which is nearly an hour real time. Darn.

EDIT2: 7 years left.

EDIT 3: 3 years. There isn't a time warp mod updated to 1.2 yet.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

Sorry for the triple post, but I've finished.

Here is Tylo:

AL4sQ7M.png

Laythe:

F3fKz7H.png

Vall (My first Vall landing ever):

ojNRztU.png

Bop:

BPuPKGJ.png

The real Kerbin landing:

EUSnLrd.png

The Kerbin landing that I'll be using in my full mission report of this:

She1Rvi.png

Yes, you heard it. I'm planning on doing a full writeup. It will take place in the same universe as Project Intrepid, but over 50 years earlier, and will be a miniseries with around 13 parts.

Montage image of all the landing pics coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Why must it be manned at all? I'd much prefer to send a probe, as I am using TAC Life Support.

Speaking of mods, can I keep my mods that aren't Kerbal Engineer or Precise Node Alignment? If I removed them, I would lose all my ships that use those parts. I promise I won't use any non-stock parts!

This is also why I am keeping TAC-LS too. If I removed it, my Space Station would go away!

1 minute ago, Sirius628 said:

Why must it be manned at all? I'd much prefer to send a probe, as I am using TAC Life Support.

Speaking of mods, can I keep my mods that aren't Kerbal Engineer or Precise Node Alignment? If I removed them, I would lose all my ships that use those parts. I promise I won't use any non-stock parts!

This is also why I am keeping TAC-LS too. If I removed it, my Space Station would go away!

The rules don't say that it has to be manned (he later said that Jeb piloting it was a joke) but the rules don't say that it can be unmanned.

I would ask @Monkey Taylor about this.

About the TAC thing: You could copy your entire KSP folder to a different place and delete TAC there, or you could make a named quicksave, delete TAC, do the mission, reinstall TAC, and then load the quicksave. You might want to back up the quicksave, though.

8 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

The rules don't say that it has to be manned (he later said that Jeb piloting it was a joke) but the rules don't say that it can be unmanned.

I would ask @Monkey Taylor about this.

About the TAC thing: You could copy your entire KSP folder to a different place and delete TAC there, or you could make a named quicksave, delete TAC, do the mission, reinstall TAC, and then load the quicksave. You might want to back up the quicksave, though.

Still, I would prefer to send a probe for planets like Jool and Sarnus.

23 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Try the latest download. Go to the forum thread, there's a 1.2.1 update.

I know there is a 1.2.1 update. I have it. I was talking about an error in the .version file. But it will work fine if you edit the file. Heck, it will even work on 1.2.2!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.