Nexus mods manager supports KSP?!

amunray

E

7 hours ago, amunray said:

I really love the nexuss mod manager, and it surprisingly supports KSP. 

http://www.nexusmods.com/kerbalspaceprogram/?

But if you click the link there are only 5 files. And I wonder why.

Because nobody in the KSP community uses Nexus...

Don't get me wrong, it's a great site that I've paid to support, but why would you bother uploading there when there are dedicated sites whose maintainers are active here.

29 minutes ago, amunray said:

@CobaltWolf Because you have to install them manually. The nexus mod manager is much faster and more practical.

CKAN can also automatically install mods, as well as:
 - Download all dependencies required by each mod
 - Get indexed mods from external hosts such as Curse (the official KSP mod repository), Spacedock (a community run mod repository) and GitHub

I should also point out that installing mods manually isn't difficult, nor is it a bad thing - it serves as a good exercise in discipline and file/folder management, and is good for lightly-modded KSP installations.

17 hours ago, amunray said:

And I wonder why.

Because CKAN is better?
Because NMM is Windows only, while the game also supports MacOS & GNU/Linux?
Because SpaceDock is 9000 times better than NexusMods?
Because the KSP community prefers KSP community solutions?

TBH, even if all the mods were on Nexus, I still wouldn't use it. Dropping a folder in GameData isn't hard, and if you can't manage that, CKAN is actually not too bad these days. (I'm using PyKAN though :P)

Why do you guys even bother?
There are only 5 files available. The latest of those 5 is well over a year old so it's pretty safe to say all 5 are outdated. And last but not least: NMM doesn't even support KSP!

If you REALLY must use a mod manager there is always CKAN. But you do not need it. Manually installing mods could hardly be simpler.

8 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

If you REALLY must use a mod manager there is always CKAN. But you do not need it. Manually installing mods could hardly be simpler.

And if you want a compromise between manual and fully automatic installs, there's KSP Mod Admin

It helps with those who prefer manual installs, but find keeping large modded installs up-to-date...

NMM is buggy, barely reliable and quite honestly, with games like Fallout or TES whcih requires specific mounting settings and modlists to make everything work correctly, I'd much rather use a more dedicated mod manager rather than something that doesn't specialize in the game I'm using.

KSP doesn't need complicated mounting lists, nor does NMM have the same degree of support for KSP as it would for say, Fallout New Vegas or Skyrim, which almost all of the mods developed for those games are found on Nexus. However, anyone there would tell you to just use a dedicated mod manager for that specific game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.