What can`t you do in stock KSP or with mods?

John FX

1 hour ago, paul23 said:

Automatic (simple) missions without intervention from myself - not even loading them. (Thinking about weekly fuel resupply missions from a base to an orbital station).

There are actually several mods for that.  Off the top of my head, there are these.  There are probably more (plus it's a feature of other mods like Pathfinder and MKS)

12 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Change the kerbal models to human ones for RSS/RO. If there is a mod that does this I am unaware of it, though I believe 1.2 exposed this to modding.

Do you mean this gem?

This might be more of what you're looking for, but I had to show the other one, first.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/125937-real-human-kerbals/#comment-2287714

7 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Do you mean this gem?

This might be more of what you're looking for, but I had to show the other one, first.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/125937-real-human-kerbals/#comment-2287714

Both of those change textures only, which has been doable through TextureReplacer for quite some time. I'm talking about the model, which determines the shape.

On 21/11/2016 at 3:43 PM, Snark said:
  • Custom action groups.  Another C# enum, not moddable.

What's this, then?

On 21/11/2016 at 0:17 PM, p1t1o said:

There at least used to be a mod for "follow the leader" type behaviour, which worked for Kerbals *and* vessels IIRC.

https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BurnTogether/releases

I don't think it works for Kerbals though.

On 22/11/2016 at 5:43 AM, Sam Forte said:

A docking port alignment indicator and distance on the nav ball so I don't have eyeball my dockings.

It's not on the navball, but you won't have to eyeball dockings:

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, String Witch said:

What's this, then?

From @Snark (quoting from another page is a hassle, so I did it this way)

"Note that it's possible to write a KSP mod that mimics the effects of some of the above-- for example, you can provide UI and so forth to give an experience similar to custom action groups-- but I don't count that as being "possible with mods" because it's a one-off solution that doesn't integrate with the game's UI and other mods can't interact with unless they have a cumbersome individual compatibility patch."

18 minutes ago, String Witch said:

https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BurnTogether/releases

I don't think it works for Kerbals though.

There was definitely something which did it for kerbals, I cant find anything though :( Might be defunct.

Some things I need that aren't doable in stock:

• Changing fuel tank textures
  • Changing fairing textures
  • Locking docking ports to a certain angle

Some things I need that aren't doable with mods:

• Changing fairing textures to match the rest of the rocket (there's a lot of colour schemes that I just can't make the most of because of this)

This is by no means everything that I wish I had in the game, but it's a good start (at least for aesthetics).

In the spirit of the OP's specific request-- and, indeed, the whole point of this thread:

On 11/21/2016 at 6:37 AM, John FX said:

you can`t do in stock OR with mods

[emphasis added by Snark]

...an awful lot of what people are talking about in this thread are, in fact, moddable-- or, at least, there's no reason to think that they aren't.

Unless you've actually done any modding yourself, it's hard to know what's not possible to mod.  An awful lot of stuff is moddable.  Some examples:

On 11/21/2016 at 10:42 AM, panzer1b said:

the ability to define when i make a ship what icon it spawns with

On 11/21/2016 at 0:36 PM, HoloYolo said:

Knowing my delta-v

On 11/21/2016 at 7:05 PM, W. Kerman said:

Being able to switch fuel usage on/off on certain tanks via action groups

On 11/21/2016 at 9:43 PM, Sam Forte said:

A docking port alignment indicator and distance on the nav ball

Pretty sure that all of the above are moddable in a fairly straightforward fashion.

...so, just to be clear, this is supposed to be a thread about "what can't be modded" rather than "I wish that stock did X", yes?

12 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@Snark I interpreted the OP as including things which are possible but for which no mod exists, not just those which cannot be modded at all. Mostly because of the phrase "not currently available through the use of mods" (emphasis mine).

I suppose that's possible, but this clarification from the OP seemed pretty clear that it's talking about what's possible (or not) with mods, rather than what mods happen to be lying around at the moment:

On 11/21/2016 at 6:37 AM, John FX said:

If it can be done in stock or with mods, this is not the place to post it.

EDIT : I`m wondering if there are any things left for Squad to do except kill bugs, if it can be done in stock or done in a mod then it can be done.

...along with other wordage from that post.

Not that there's anything wrong with having an "I'm trying to find a mod that does X" thread, but there are lots of that kind of thread scattered around the forum.  "What can't you mod?" seems like a much more interesting question, to me.  If something can be modded, then there's already a mod for it-- or, if there's enough demand, there will be.  All it takes is one modder who gets sufficiently annoyed at the lack of a coveted feature to sit down and write the darn thing.  Whereas if there's a "hole" in the game-- something that can't be modded-- then that's a much more significant stumbling block, and can't get better unless Squad makes a change to enable it.

That's just my two cents, though; it's really up to the OP.  Perhaps he could clarify.  @John FX, did you mean this to be an "I'm trying to find a mod that does X" thread, or a "What are the things that are impossible to mod?" thread?

The ability to have randomly generated solar systems (as an alternative to the current Kerbol system).  With various controls like min/max number of different planet types moons etc. sizes of various planet types and so on (don't want to get detailed here).  These would be for people who want a new solar system after becoming tired of the default current one which would still be available of course.

40 minutes ago, kBob said:

The ability to have randomly generated solar systems (as an alternative to the current Kerbol system).  With various controls like min/max number of different planet types moons etc. sizes of various planet types and so on (don't want to get detailed here).  These would be for people who want a new solar system after becoming tired of the default current one which would still be available of course.

This is a WIP:

I want to be able to walk my Kerbals on a moving vehicle.

Walking on a moving ship over ocean, on a moving vehicle over terrain, on the deck of a moving airship. Cause roving and sailing is Booooring!

Edited by Enceos

I like the axial tilt suggestion. Would make it that much more difficult to get things right.

I would like to see more of a developed story line as well. I don't care about an "end" of the game, just goals and side quests to keep me interested in moving beyond the Kerbol system. And at that, perhaps another neighborhood system to explore. Uninhabited of course. It would have to be several light years away. But, there would be science to do. Starting with orbital telescopes and ending with Kerbals landing on the surface.

I would also like to see random part failures as part of the stock game. I've seen it as a mod, with the ability to make repairs. Failures are what push us to be better, do better.

I'm tempted to say, "reorganize the tech tree and start with atmospheric flight" but that's been done with mods.

On 23/11/2016 at 3:49 PM, Snark said:

Not that there's anything wrong with having an "I'm trying to find a mod that does X" thread, but there are lots of that kind of thread scattered around the forum.  "What can't you mod?" seems like a much more interesting question, to me.  If something can be modded, then there's already a mod for it-- or, if there's enough demand, there will be.  All it takes is one modder who gets sufficiently annoyed at the lack of a coveted feature to sit down and write the darn thing.  Whereas if there's a "hole" in the game-- something that can't be modded-- then that's a much more significant stumbling block, and can't get better unless Squad makes a change to enable it.

This is pretty much my reasoning behind starting the thread, if the game slows and stops at any time then what we have is what we have and the rest will be mods so what is not possible, even with mods?

If the game stops changing then any stable mods may as well be stock. They work and you have that feature forever.

What I was interested in was what currently cannot be done because that is where I`d like to see the efforts of Squad to be directed so that it *can* be done even if only with mods.

I`d like KSP to be able to carry off a total conversion mod where everything is changed, models, animations, all the planets and their inclinations, all the contracts and rewards, every icon and texture, so that you could have for example earth system between the years 1930 and 2020 as accurate as possible.

I`d also like it to be possible for all the science fiction anyone has read to be a total conversion mod, heck I`d even like it to be possible to have an empire building train game set in the late 1800`s to be possible.

Then you`d know you could really mod the game.

So, not what you want in stock, not what mod you like, not what mods can do or what stock can do.

What can`t be done, in stock or with mods?

I'd particularly like a system where by I "simulate" a mission, then the KSP performs it the way I demonstrated it. Hmm this may take some explanation.

In simulate mission mode I play the mission or part of a mission as we do normally, except in "simulated time". Then once I've completed the mission or part of the mission, I go back to the start of the mission in "real time mode" and KSP performs the mission exactly as I just demonstrated... including landing, science experiments, rendezvous etc ... almost like I'd written a mission program, but without all that tricky programming malarkey. This means I can do other things while that mission is under way, launch a new mission etc. 

The problem I'm trying to remedy is, you launch a Duna mission, its starts off fine. You launch a Jool mission, its going fine, you launch an Eve mission. Its going fine. The Duna mission arrives at Duna... oh dear, I've made a big mistake the mission is doomed (and was, unbeknownst to me doomed from the very design phase). Ok, revert to start of Duna mission... oh right, that means the all progress on Eve and Jool missions is wiped too.... a good hour of real life time wasted repeating the routine tasks (launch, transfer burn, course corrections etc) of the successful Eve and Jool missions. 

Either that or invent a revert function for real life time. :wink: 

Edited by Tourist

MAGIC BOULDER

But seriously, I think that other star systems would be a cool idea. Or old-future style spacecraft!

m499tqb61pwb0e5bquwx.jpg

Or an update to that mod where you got to fly around in cardboard boxes! This stuff would be really, really cool personally (even if it required mods.)

Since 1.04 docking ports have been seriously resistant to flexing making thier use as railway couplings redundant, thankfully things like KAS magnets. Roverdudes crane parts and infernal robots have taken the been the goto replacement

I do miss the simplicity though

There has been good ground made usijy the sputnik core and docking port magnetic attraction though by other train drivers..technicly it can be done :) just..i miss shunting and flyshunting trains with no handbrakes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.