[Writing] Minmus Research Program

beastcat

Hello, this is my first post in the ksp forums. I have a story for you which is based on my first and second flight to minmus in 1.6. The first one had some problems, landed, but never returned. The second one went pretty smooth. My english is not the best, so the story is beeing told from the view of Dimitri Kerbal who also doesn't have perfect english. I also have some pictures so it's not as boring to read.

Minmus Research Program

Hello, my name is Dimitri Kerbal. I am the director of the Minmus Research Program. You probably know about the Minmus landing from the year N208. Well, what would you say if I told you that it wasn't the first Minmus landing? The first rocket to go to minmus was finished in N198 JU8. It was a modified version of the Mun Alpha I which landed sucessfully on the mün. It could carry enough fuel to go to minmus, and back to Kerbin while making a stop at the mün. This masterpiece cost 850 Million Kerbs.

Here, this is a picture of the first Mun Alpha which landed on the mün.

9hrhci.jpg

The rocket launched on JU18. It could carry one person. This person was Kenmund Kerman. Everything seemed to be alright, but on the second day we noticed a deviation from the course, but our experienced workers could correct the course with minimal fuel waste. On JU32 the space craft approched minmus. It was time to decouple the main rocket from the lander. The headquarters gave the command to decouple, but even after 5 minutes both parts were still attached. Only after another 5 minutes the headquarters received a signal. The decoupler failed. The headquarters gave the command to abort the mission but Kenmund left the rocket and detached the lander manually. After he entered the lander he send the message that one engine was damaged by the detached rocket. This made the rocket unstable and it was unable to maneuver anymore. First he disabled the outer engines and started the middle engine which is used to get home, but the engine was not powerful enough. So he decoupled the outer landing engines and the lander got into the return stage. In this stage he went into an orbit and tried to land. Since the rocket doesn\'t have any rcs thrusters it would be impossible to position the rocket perpendicular again if it would have fallen over. And since the return stage doesn't have any landing sturts it would have to balance on the actual engine. Nonetheless he tried to land anyway. And he actually made it. The rocket landed on some kind of frozen lake, and it still had enough fuel to return to kerbin. He left the rocket and set foot on minmus. He send a photo of himself with the rocket on minmus. It's very blurred because it has been send from minmus to kerbin. Here, take a look.

91fq8n.jpg

This is the last photo of him. He was never seen again. Two hours after this photo was made we lost the connection to him. We still had connection to the rocket, all the tools were still working, but Kenmund was just gone. Just like that. We don't know what happened, where he was, what he did. No sign of life. It seemed liked Minmus was a lifeless planet again.

This mission was kept secret of course. We can't just tell the people that we lost an astronaut just like that. It was kept secret just as all other failed space missions. We told the family that he died in a plane accident. The Mun Alpha II was never officialy launched. At least until N208. Ten years later, another Mun Alpha launch. This time everything went perfect. Officialy this was the first flight to minmus. The pilot was supposed to take a soil sample and research some of properties of the moon. He of course did that, but he was also supposed to check the first Mun Alpha rocket. It was night when he landed. The place where he landed was close to the first rocket. Everything is documented. We also have some photos.

As you can see here the emergency light of the old rocket was still glowing, even though the battery should have died about 5 years ago.

11lihj8.jpg

The rocket is positioned exactly how it was documented from the first landing.

Here\'s a picture of official lander. This is how the old Mun Alpha was supposed to look after the landing.

2uogwa1.jpg

The old rocket hasn't moved for 10 years and still looked like it just landed. The cosmonaut even reported that the engines were still glowing red due to the burned fuel, but I don't know how far this is believable. Here\'s a close up photo of it.

f9imx4.jpg

After checking the capsule ontop of the rocket it was clear that Kenmund probably left the rocket since it was empty. The food however was still there and it was fresh, even though the capsule was filled with oxygen, which is also weird because the oxygen tanks should have run out after one year even if theres noone inside. Suprisingly all the instruments were still working. Even after scouting the area no sign of life was found. After that all the official photos were taken.

156be3t.jpg

Nowdays we have a satelilte orbiting minmus, but even after numerous of scans we weren't able to find any sign of Kenmund.

That's all I can tell you. Exuse me now, I have to be present at a meeting. Have a nice day.

I hope it wasn't to boring and you enjoyed reading. Please leave some feedback.

Also here's another picture from the official Mun Alpha flight:

71l9gj.jpg

Edited by beastcat

Well, that kind of reminded me of that Apollo 18 movie where there is something on the moon, and it really doesn\'t like humans.

Horror/survival mod suggestion perhaps?

Are you taliking about movie where stones on Moon moved and then one of that 'stones' made it to guys suit and then he went to crater and gone in it?

Are you taliking about movie where stones on Moon moved and then one of that 'stones' made it to guys suit and then he went to crater and gone in it?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

That one exactly, I loved the part when he went into the crater and saw all the stones changing into...things?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.