Cassini's last year at Saturn

StupidAndy

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I know this might be a stupid question but does Cassini take pictures even at its last moments? Does that take up to much power?

Sorry.

Unfortuntaly not. Bandwidth is the limiting factor. They want the spacecraft to transmit as much useful information as possible during it's final minutes so unfortunately, there will be no pictures. They are just too large in terms of data size compared to the measurements of more important instruments like the INMS (The Ion and Neutral Mass Spectrometer). Cassini's transmitters are really feeble due to their age (it's 80's tech), power constraints and overall spacecraft design - it was never built to transmit lots of data quickly as that wasn't part of the initial space craft design requirements.

2 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

Unfortuntaly not. Bandwidth is the limiting factor. They want the spacecraft to transmit as much useful information as possible during it's final minutes so unfortunately, there will be no pictures. They are just too large in terms of data size compared to the measurements of more important instruments like the INMS (The Ion and Neutral Mass Spectrometer). Cassini's transmitters are really feeble due to their age (it's 80's tech), power constraints and overall spacecraft design - it was never built to transmit lots of data quickly as that wasn't part of the initial space craft design requirements.

Any estimate on the altitude of the last picture it will take?

15 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Any estimate on the altitude of the last picture it will take?

Unfortunately, Cassini is taking it's last images right now. According to Dr. Linda Spilker from JPL they will go up tonight at 8pm (Pacific) on the raw image site. You can hear her talk about the vistas Cassini will be focusing on in this press conference that happened yesterday:

24 minutes ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

If not for the whole "contamination" thing, maybe, just maybe, Cassini would live a little longer.

The main reason they've chosen to do the grand finale is the fact it's running out of propellant. While Titan is the main source of Energy to get Cassini into all of these interesting orbits, a little bit of fuel is needed for course corrections and attitude control. Without it, Cassini couldn't point it's instruments and antenna and no useful science can be done.

Edited by Three_Pounds

37 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

The main reason they've chosen to do the grand finale is the fact it's running out of propellant. While Titan is the main source of Energy to get Cassini into all of these interesting orbits, a little bit of fuel is needed for course corrections and attitude control. Without it, Cassini couldn't point it's instruments and antenna and no useful science can be done.

What about using the reaction wheels for pointing? 

Also: F 

Imagine if they could get enough bandwidth to send a final picture during Saturn reentry... The picture would be awesome.

1vvpwr.jpg

25 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

What about using the reaction wheels for pointing? 

The Problem with reaction wheels is that they get saturated (they can't turn any faster) and you will eventually need the thrusters to allow them to slow down again.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:01 PM, iplayksp said:

Can we all just get a salute or something for cassini 

I present to you my tribute to the Cassini Huygens mission - "Salute."

Spoiler

BEFORE WATCHING - I really felt like I needed to do something for Cassini, no matter how bad it turned out. I tried to make a song thingy with a Cassini montage. I didn't expect it to turn out well (mostly because I can't sing very well in my opinion) but it actually turned out better than I was expecting.

T-5.5 hours. *SALUTES*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.