John_Conner

So currently I trying to figure out away to make an Orbital Runway mod, at the cost of Electric charge get structural plats to give off a gravity field with a small SOI (like gravity plats from Star Trek). Two mods come to mind with this kind of ability Asteroids 2.4 and Anti-gravity room. Both the download links don't work and the authors seems to have abandoned it. Secondly I might be pushing it, an Atmospheric shell. If you don't know what they are there like a force field that holds in air on a space craft while still letting craft fly in and out an open door Darth Vader docks at death star. I personal was thinking of just locally enabling friction on other craft, vs fully simulating and Atmosphere. I don't know, any suggestions?

For the artificial gravity you just need to track the objects in range and apply the appropriate force to the parts - The first thing that came to my mind (may not be the best way) was to have a trigger collider to tell you what vessels need processed. Not sure I understand what your getting at with the enabling friction - I would think the only way to "add" an atmosphere would be to simulate it yourself. One note - if you're hoping to have kerbals walk around you may be in for some headache - I've seen people trying to do this before and (if I'm recalling correctly) there's some behind the scenes trickery in how it's decided whether they're floating or walking. Simply being pressed to a surface didn't do it.

8 hours ago, wasml said:

For the artificial gravity you just need to track the objects in range and apply the appropriate force to the parts - The first thing that came to my mind (may not be the best way) was to have a trigger collider to tell you what vessels need processed. Not sure I understand what your getting at with the enabling friction - I would think the only way to "add" an atmosphere would be to simulate it yourself. One note - if you're hoping to have kerbals walk around you may be in for some headache - I've seen people trying to do this before and (if I'm recalling correctly) there's some behind the scenes trickery in how it's decided whether they're floating or walking. Simply being pressed to a surface didn't do it.

To track the objects in range and apply force, could I use the code that gives docking ports a magnetic attraction, but without the docking of the two ships (were the game counts it as one vessel)? Maybe I can increase the range and force of the magnetic like field to the equivalent of 1G. Also, what I meant by enabling friction was to just simulate friction instead of full atmosphere. Just slow down relative to target at a consent rate regardless of current speed. So I guess "simulate a simplistic atmosphere" might of bin a better choice of words on my part. As for Kerbals walking around it would be nice, but I rather try to get it to work with crafts first before even thinking about Kerbals. Because I'm aware of that nightmare.

Disclaimer: I haven't done much modding myself so take what I say as possible leads rather than the finial word on the subject.

I see a few problems with using the docking port behavior on your part. 1) the docking ports dock to ports of the same type - you could require the mating connector on your craft. 2) you would need to keep the craft from docking otherwise the force completely disappears when you undock and doesn't reappear until you've cleared a set distance - you might be able to set the reacquire distance real low. 3) you will still need to detect when the craft is in range so you can apply the air friction forces. If your writing a plugin I would think you'd be better off doing it from scratch - I don't think there are any insurmountable hurdles and you'd have lots more control of how it worked. The detecting a craft and applying forces should be strait forward (famous last words) - I would think the trickiest part would be deciding how to calculate the aerodynamics in a reasonable way without recreating the FAR plugin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.