Debris should always be debris

This may have been asked before, but if a separated part has no control point, then it should always be classified as debris.  I have encountered some situations where separated parts retain the name and category of the original vessel, simply because it contains the root part.  Of course it would also be nice if docking ports were not the default control point after undocking.  Some hilarity requiring quicksaves ensues.

This is easily replicated using a separator between a probe core or command pod and another part with the separator as the root part.  Stage the separator and it will have the name of the vessel as well as the category, while the probe core will be "<vessel name> probe."

I agree with you.  In the meantime, you can select that debris in the Tracking Station and change the type by double-clicking the name in the info button.

Ugh... also agreed on the control point after separation.  I tend to bury probe cores, so trying to find a suitable orientation if things are spinning can be a nightmare.

Edited by HalcyonSon

@HalcyonSon, Never knew it had such an option, wonder when that was added.  It still requires me to know which one to change though.

@MrLake, At launch the type is decided by the command point with the highest category, if it could do this after separation then it it might not be so difficult.

@The Aziz, I frequently make dockable uncontrolled modules for ships and stations, some large and some small, but what I am asking for is merely a naming convention that won't affect ships in orbit, unless you hide debris in the tracking station.  It would be so much simpler if renaming a vessel wasn't limited to just command parts, then anything could be renamed whether it was a engine module or used separator.

22 hours ago, HalcyonSon said:

I tend to bury probe cores, so trying to find a suitable orientation if things are spinning can be a nightmare.

I find the Locked Cam to be great on out-of-control spinning situations :wink: (if you don't mind the background spinning uncontrollably, that's it)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.