[1.7] KVV - Kronal Vessel Viewer = Exploded ship view

linuxgurugamer

This is a plugin that creates blue-print-like images (into your <KSP Root>Screenshots/ directory) from the KSP Editor (VAB/SPH).    As featured in Scott Manley's Video.

Note:  At this time, the 1.5.1 release only supports the legacy KAS, not the KAS 1.0.

Dependencies

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed

Big thanks to @Kerbas_ad_astra for updating the shaders for me

Once the panel is up click 'Part Config' button and check the items you wish to 'explode apart' or 'Offset'.  Once you've checked 'Offset checkboxes' and you enter a value between 3 and 0.1 (3(or higher)-0.1(minimum) click the 'Offset View' button.  Once you have set your configuration settings you can toggle the broken apart view by clicking 'Offset View' and 'Revert' buttons respectively.

If you are 'Exploded/Offset' the Save & Exit buttons are disabled.  Ensure that you click 'Revert' so that you can Save/Exit the Editor.

This lets you make images such as the following:

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f61

Availability

Spacedock: http://spacedock.info/mod/1092/Kronal Vessel Viewer Continued

Githubhttps://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ksp-kronalutils

Soon to be on CKAN

License: Unlicense

Credits

This was originally written by @kronal, who actually is still around.  The original repo is here: https://github.com/shrx/ksp-kronalutils
It was then taken over by @bigorangemachine, who got it updated and working (mostly) for 1.1.  He seemed to stop development and releases back on April 3.  His last activity in the repo was apparently in July of this year.  His repo is here:  https://github.com/bigorangemachine/ksp-kronalutils

My fork is of @bigorangemachine's repo, and is compatible with 1.2.1.

Just for reference, there is another fork, made by ayan4m1 (github name) which was made off of @bigorangemachine's repo, but he doesn't seem to have it working fully

Changes

1. When closing the window, the vessel will now revert so that you aren't left with an exploded vessel in the Editor
  2. Now uses Unity bundles to store shaders
  3. Added stock fairings

Edited by linuxgurugamer

5 hours ago, kronal said:

That's actually not the original repo and that's not me! Although it is the same code, but anyway you can have that in git history. But no problem, just clearing that up in case people try to contact shrx or something like that.

Anyway, glad you got it working :-)

Oh yes, but the link to your repo was giving a 404

Edited by linuxgurugamer

54 minutes ago, Li0n said:

@linuxgurugamer thanks (again) for updating a great mod

Edit : where is the source ? The most recent commit in your repo is from April 3rd.

It's not an official release, I havent yet uploaded the latest into the repo.  I updated the OP to be more specific about it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

SGA94d5.png

Spoiler

93MDrIO.png

wChY1nV.png

So nice to have this mod back :)

But I've found some issues :

• struts are not hide
  • lights of the VAB (those on the wall which light the rocket) appears on the screenshot, see screenshot below.
  • the shadow slider don't seem to work as intended, it behaves as an on/off switch
  • ground shadow show on the screenshot
Spoiler

qo1rTWa.png

And if you find some time, I've a few suggestions :

• make the stock fairings panel offset (and support for mod that use the stock fairings module)
  • enhance the behavior of the preview window, update its ratio so it always show the entire future screenshot (not sure if this is clear...)

Thanks again I feel more like a Rocket Scientist now that I have all this blueprint of what I'm going to explode :D

3 hours ago, Li0n said:

SGA94d5.png

Reveal hidden contents

93MDrIO.png

wChY1nV.png

So nice to have this mod back :)

But I've found some issues :

• struts are not hide
  • lights of the VAB (those on the wall which light the rocket) appears on the screenshot, see screenshot below.
  • the shadow slider don't seem to work as intended, it behaves as an on/off switch
  Reveal hidden contents

qo1rTWa.png

And if you find some time, I've a few suggestions :

• make the stock fairings panel offset (and support for mod that use the stock fairings module)
  • enhance the behavior of the preview window, update its ratio so it always show the entire future screenshot (not sure if this is clear...)

Thanks again I feel more like a Rocket Scientist now that I have all this blueprint of what I'm going to explode :D

Thanks for the issues, that's why this is a beta :D

I'm not sure what you mean about the preview window's ratio

I was aware of the shadow slider

I will look at the others.

Please keep in mind that this mod is doing stuff with shaders which I don't understand (I'm not a graphics guy).  My intent was to get this working.  I'll move it along as much as I can, but there may come a point at which I'll stop.

Also, the previous version of the mod had the problem of the struts (and other parts) not hiding.  I'll keep working on it.

I will probably set up a formal release in a day or so.  It seems to be mostly usable now,

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not sure what you mean about the preview window's ratio

A more graphic explanation :

Spoiler

First case : vertical rocket

6F7TW4a.png

Result is (as expected) :

l66vxMW.png

Second case (horizontal rocket) :

sDxHirw.png

Result is :

yETeGhu.png

The preview window show only a portion of the future screenshot, here is how I like it to be displayed (edited with Gimp) :

aII7MHw.png

Do you think it is something doable ?

5 hours ago, Li0n said:

A more graphic explanation :

Hide contents

First case : vertical rocket

6F7TW4a.png

Result is (as expected) :

l66vxMW.png

Second case (horizontal rocket) :

sDxHirw.png

Result is :

yETeGhu.png

The preview window show only a portion of the future screenshot, here is how I like it to be displayed (edited with Gimp) :

aII7MHw.png

Do you think it is something doable ?

No idea, but I'll look into it.  It's not a bug, so it's not a priority

23 hours ago, Li0n said:
  • struts are not hide
  • Stuts are now hiding
  • Stock fairings now work properly (ie:  offset & hide)
  • Lights of the VAB are an unavoidable side effect of the way this works.  I suggest you try downloading LightsOut, and turn off the VAB lights when you don't want the reflections
  • Shadows are either on or off.  I'll change it to be a toggle later
  • Ground shadow again a side effect of the way the mod works

New release: Beta 3

Now on Github, see the OP for download links

Note that I have been unable to get the Edge Detect shaders to work properly, so I've disabled that option.  Frankly, I'm not sure they ever worked.  If someone who has knowledge here wishes to help, please contact me

Edited by linuxgurugamer

16 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I would assume so

Yep it works.

Just a few things : the end segment of the fairings don't line up with others (same gap than when you "open" the fairings by hovering your mouse over it in the VAB).

Will it be possible to make them semi-transparent ? The preview window already show them semi transparent when hovering the mouse over them. (even better will be a slider to control the transparency)

Screenshot below show both things :

Spoiler

3OFyT3y.png

I hope I don't bother you with my requests, I know you have a lot of mods to take care of but I really love this one.

I can't make the end segments line up the way you are asking.  It's using the stock  code to do the offsets, and that's what stock code does when you move the mouse over the fairing.

Regarding the opacity, I have a partial solution, but it involves doing constant updates, so you will see flickering in the view because stock code keeps trying to change it.  I don't have a great solution yet for this

Release day:  0.0.6

• Fixed null ref when going into flight
  • Added support for stock fairings exploding and opacity (some dirty Reflection code)
  • Added .version file
  • Added version info into Assembly info
  • Converted numeric inputs into sliders on config screens
  • Converted shaders into bundle files
  • Added bundle files for all environments (Window, Windows OpenGL, OSX and Linux)
  • Removed engine fairing explode option

Now available on Spacedock and Githhub (see OP for links)

and submitted to CKAN

Edited by linuxgurugamer