How do I report bugs/issues for current release?

finglebob

Hi all,

Loving, LOVING this game, which I purchased for Steam/Linux just a few days ago.

Very happy that this is something of a work in progress, but I confess that it seems the Linux platform might be getting a little less love? Hey - there's a growing number of us out there ;0)

Anyhow, that being the case or not, I've run into a *real* issue now (beyond the earlier reported graphics issue of flickering/corrupt pixels while inside the hangars, and the general great difficulty in click-selecting objects). I'm on my third restart in career mode. I've just taken on a contract to

Test Heat Shield (0.625m)

and the game won't recognise when I achieve the necessary requirements. In this challenge, I have to make between 1550.0m/s to 2,000m/s. Twice now I've managed to re-enter from a high orbit, and all checks except speed are green. As the craft speeds up on re-entry, I'm traveling at over 1600m/s and STILL the green tick won't appear. So I'm stuck on two contracts, unable to clear this one.

I could re-start again :0/ but would like to know if there's a way I could help by maybe submitting stats or data, just in case these are things that can be ironed out? As I say, happy to accept it's under active development, but this game ain't free... ;0)

Hi, @finglebob, and welcome!

Great to know you want to contribute with a bug report. Squad has a bug tracker at http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/ , where you can set an account and report bugs and feedback. Just make sure you take a look here for some guidelines on your submission!

Also, as a workaround, if you feel confident you should have completed that contract, you can open the Debug Menu (alt+f12), and from there you can delete or complete the contract :) 

Hey ho, thanks guys for being on the case! :0)

Just to resolve this... (palm smacks forehead): I completed the contract in the 'opposite order' i.e. instead of waiting to fall via re-entry, I just boosted up massively and hit the checkpoints on the upward trajectory. Contract completed!

However, this does raise a slightly different and wider issue. This is a wonderful game. But it strikes me as unhelpful to word a contract and allow its execution open to wider interpretation, (obviously experimenting is a part of the fun ;0)) and yet fail in some way without it being clear why. To explain: if a contract MUST have such a narrow scope, then surely I shouldn't be getting green ticks for 'altitude' and 'in flight' IF the only way to meet the contract MUST be on the upward flight path.

Not suggesting we want hand holding everywhere, just perhaps had I failed to meet terms like 'in flight' once I'd passed AP, perhaps I'd have arrived at the solution easier, and without assuming it was the game's fault (which in a way it kinda is).

I noted this the other day in an abandoned career. I had a contract to test a drone chute. So I just attached one to my command capsule. Despite having altitude and pressure set correctly, EVERY TIME I lifted off, the chute opened immediately. It was only once I attached it to the side of the craft i.e. a fuel tank, that I could complete that contract.

Promise not to go on at length every time ;0) Good to know how to report should I need. Many thanks - keep up the great work :0)

2 minutes ago, finglebob said:

I noted this the other day in an abandoned career. I had a contract to test a drone chute. So I just attached one to my command capsule. Despite having altitude and pressure set correctly, EVERY TIME I lifted off, the chute opened immediately. It was only once I attached it to the side of the craft i.e. a fuel tank, that I could complete that contract.

Those settings on a parachute assume you're going down, so they activate the chute when it's altitude is equal to or less than the setting, and the pressure equal to or greater than. Otherwise, you would have a problem of hitting spacebar once you're already below those levels, and the parachute won't open anymore because you missed your chance. :wink: 

19 hours ago, finglebob said:

I have to make between 1550.0m/s to 2,000m/s. Twice now I've managed to re-enter from a high orbit, and all checks except speed are green. As the craft speeds up on re-entry, I'm traveling at over 1600m/s and STILL the green tick won't appear.

When this happens you should check the mode that the navball speed display is in.  There is often a considerable difference in your speed in the Surface and Orbital modes and this may make a difference, e.g. the orbital speed could be reading 1600 m/s but your surface speed might only be 1500 m/s (or even less).  You can just click on the readout to change the mode it is in (though note that this can also change the prograde direction of your vessel so be careful if you are using one of the advanced SAS modes as your ship might suddenly turn).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.