Cloud Aerospace Is in the Sky!

Tristonwilson12

d8345d17a8.png

Hello, My names Reese Wilson, Also known as Tristonwilson12, About a year ago I thought to my self, "Hmm, I want to start an aerospace company", and I just kept pushing it off, until this past summer when I started talking to some friends, and other people in the industry, I came to the point after doing some research and found out there are not many ways to get a cubesat into space.... Non that are really affordable anyways. I drew up some designs and did some math, and found out I could launch 1 single cubesat for 80,000$ and said wow, that's a lot of money, that's when I started Cloud Aerospace.. A company aiming to provide Affordable access to space, We plan on providing affordable Sounding Rockets for scientific applications, and Small lifters to lift cubesats into orbit, With our first series of lifters, the Cloud 1, Also known as "Alsbury" After the Co-pilot of Virgin galactic SpaceShipTwo, That Unfortunately crashed in 2014, Will launch Scientific payloads, Up to 50kg (110lbs) to an altitude of 145km (90 Miles) And then be able to recover said payload, with an affordable Price between $1,500-2,500. Now some people will doubt me, But I believe in cheap access to the heavens, We will first start with solid propellant lifters, and soon develop Liquid Fueled lifters as well.

This Is the Cloud 1 "Alsbury"

Really Bad Renders

Spoiler

484a8c9a5c.png

a7133a8934.png

We are hoping to Fly C1 at the beginning of 2018, if all goes well, fly payloads in mid 2018.

Thank you all and thank you KSP, Ad Stellas!

Reese Wilson, CEO of Cloud Aerospace

Cloud Aerospace is Fueled by donations, If you would like to support us Please help by donating

Cloud aerospace Website is now live! https://www.cloudaero.org/

Edited by Tristonwilson12

We are working on getting A launch or reentry operator license Permit from the FAA, Everything ive heard back from them sounds great for us so far!

We are working on finding a Suitable location for launches and we have some locations we have Talked with the FAA about, But I am not at liberty to announce these quite yet :) 

• 4 weeks later...

According to my very rough computations (I have neither the MR nor the specific impulse), a solid rocket engine designed to bring up to 50 kg of payload into orbit at 145 km requires AT LEAST 1.5 - 2 tons of wet mass; this is a really small amount when compared to large SRMs, but is it small enough to grant a cost of up to 2,500 $ per launch? If it is, you did an excellent job!

Moreover, very low orbits of this kind have the advantage of making space debris mitigation something absolutely spontaneous, since at that altitude the atmosphere is still dense enough to cause decay in a limited time, probably a couple of days. Long enough to perform experiments, short enough not to become debris. I suggest that you highlight also this in your site, being good news for the LEO environment!

Edited by VikingStormtrooper

Just now, VikingStormtrooper said:

According to my very rough computations (I have neither the MR nor the specific impulse), a solid rocket engine designed to bring up to 50 kg of payload into orbit at 145 km requires AT LEAST 1.5 - 2 tons of wet mass; this is a really small amount when compared to large SRMs, but is it small enough to grant a cost of up to 2,500 $ per launch? If it is, you did an excellent job!

I don't think so. High-power rocketry hobby motors (for rather small rockets) cost hundreds of dollars. 

@Tristonwilson12 How exactly are you going to do this? While I admire your enthusiasm, I don't see how you could even get the components for $2500, let alone certifications, a launch site, etc. 

We have FAA Permits and a launch site, And we have partners that help in supplying the materials, We were going to have a Test fire today for a Fuel Test... But.. We had an anomaly..

Here is were to get updates

Our FAA Launch Permit

4d387c68d0.JPG

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:37 AM, VikingStormtrooper said:

Moreover, very low orbits of this kind have the advantage of making space debris mitigation something absolutely spontaneous, since at that altitude the atmosphere is still dense enough to cause decay in a limited time, probably a couple of days. Long enough to perform experiments, short enough not to become debris. I suggest that you highlight also this in your site, being good news for the LEO environment!

Each rocket cost about $30,000 to Manufacture, Launches start at $1,000 to launch a 1U cubesat, But each rocket can Carry 12 Cubesats into LEO

Edited by Tristonwilson12

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.