What parts does the community want?

mbartelsm

1 minute ago, Sharpy said:

Pathfinder and USI do this already.

Arguably though those are gameplay mods that happen to have parts.  A more straightforward parts mod with some slightly different set of parts wouldn't be completely unwelcome.  :wink:

@mbartelsm, if you're interested I have a fairly detailed set of ideas for a space station parts mod that I think would fill niche I haven't seen yet - but I have no modeling or texture skills.  The idea would be for permanent space stations of a size larger than a small scientific outpost - I've worked out a set of sizes which would build a ~60 meter radius station as a 'small' station, and would allow you to but another ring outside that if you wanted.

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Arguably though those are gameplay mods that happen to have parts.  A more straightforward parts mod with some slightly different set of parts wouldn't be completely unwelcome. 

USI, yes and with no simple way around that. Pathfinder though has three 'modes' one of which removes all the gameplay extensions, turning it into a purely fancy part pack.

1 hour ago, Sharpy said:

I'm seconding a larger cupola. Something in 3.5m profile, 3 kerbals, nice IVA, maybe two versions of IVA - command and habitat. A thing to install on space stations and bases.

Whats wrong with the Station Parts Expansion ones? or the NearFuture Spacecraft?

Please make something original, something useful, something fututistic!

For instance, could you make an advanced  command module that can be fit inline, allowing it to be connected with equally sized part at the top and bottom, like the stock 2 seater lander. For unknown reason, no one has ever made this.

Edited by FreeThinker

To be honest, besides what has been mentioned above, I would like to see a stock option to spawn craft at either the island air station or the old space center. In fact, bring back the old space center rather than have it buried in Kerbin-sludge. I know those are not really parts, but it would be great to have those sites where they could actually mean something.

But as far as parts go, I'd like to see a "portable" air lock, a part that could be used to create an airlock on any part that has crew capacity but that doesn't already have an airlock, such as the 1.25 m crew cabin, etc. and a bigger selection of stock lights.

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

But as far as parts go, I'd like to see a "portable" air lock, a part that could be used to create an airlock on any part that has crew capacity but that doesn't already have an airlock, such as the 1.25 m crew cabin, etc. and a bigger selection of stock lights.

portable airlocks/hatches already done by a couple recent mods.

Fengist's Maritime Pack has some nice lights... ust install the mod, and delete everything but the relevant parts folder

There was a mod that added a centrifugal habitat, but I'm not sure if it's updated. I think getting the habitat to inflate/deflate/rotate was complicated, though.

2.5m and 3.75 solid boosters that don't require the entire SpaceY mod would be nice. Just a simple mod with two new SRBs

Deployable Gigantor like solar panels, but with a shell that stands up to 2400 °K when retracted. Near Future Electrical has cool solar panels, but they can't be retracted. And maybe larger solar panels, so you don't need to spam gigantors for mining rigs

Inline rtgs. I don't think that was done yet

Some sort of quad dawn ion engine that allows to mount stuff at the bottom so it can be inline stacked. Probably already done, though.

Edited by juanml82

22 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

What about a self-contained Sojourner rover.

Well, it looks like stuff is going faster than I thought...

I already have a basic model of Sojourner, and even made a new topic in the Add-on Development section of the forum. I still need to make the textures, wheels and the spectrometer, but at least I've got something to start!

On 11/29/2016 at 11:03 AM, Sharpy said:

Pathfinder and USI do this already.

A plenty in SXT.

I'm seconding a larger cupola. Something in 3.5m profile, 3 kerbals, nice IVA, maybe two versions of IVA - command and habitat. A thing to install on space stations and bases.

USI IMO don't fit in anywhere the texture's don't fit well with any mod Pathfinder fit's but they both what you to play the way they want you to play now if pathfinder had a stock set that would be good it would be nice to have some base parts that don't have to have there own plugin just using stock module

and on you 2nd doesn't 

have that part ?

• 6 months later...

Magnetic grip rover wheels (basically a rover wheels that's designed to grip into the ground as the rover moves instead of merely touching the ground. That can be used to explore low gravity planet more easily)

Rover wheels with an easily adjustable ride height. Because that will make building bases so much easier.

Of course, IR does that. But now you need tweakscale (which I don't want), and IR comes with a whole menagerie of parts and complexity. I just want a set of wheels. Up. Down. That's all.

On 11/24/2016 at 1:20 AM, tater said:

Decent landing legs and lander parts that are not so stock-a-like that they look terrible (since sadly stock rocket parts look terrible).

Deep space crew parts. There are loads of great station parts now in mods, and many can also be used for spacecraft, but more space-specific part are always cool.

I love BOTH of these ideas.  I got started on a lander parts mod a while back...  I really ought to dig back into it at some point.  

And I just played a career with USI life support and found building deep  space vessels with adequate storage and habitation to be a real challenge!   Some parts dedicated to this would be amazing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.