mechanical things - motorcar

klond

I already made a car, but I wanted to make a smaller one I guess.  This one ended up bigger than planned but after many days and many revisions I had to button it up.  Now that 1.2 let's me float parts (offset w/shift button) more things are possible in stock.  Everything on this car is shift-offset or offset then rotated.

The front end is lowered a bit for looks, but ground clearance is poo now.  Car is so long that turning radius ain't good.  But on the plus side-

9CmwZ5v.jpg

this motorcar has a full steering rack!  I laugh to myself that the steering column is an actual column :-)  I used linear RCS ports (take note engineers, these are nice and smooth and round) surrounded by 6 thermometers for the bushings.  3, 4, and 8 thermometers also work.  Angling them slightly too can help hold the balls in place, although I didn't do that here.

C3NSbPa.jpg

gears on solid axle - after multiple days of trying different gear combinations and bearing sets I settled on this single step final similar to the piston car.  The engine isn't torquey so I needed the largest stepdown I could make.  Obviously you can't make the final gear larger than the wheel, and a large wheel negates the stepdown :/  

The axle shafts are little antennas surrounded by the smallest solar panels that just make the right sized hole. 

7iM6CR4.jpg

custom wheels - a morgan type wire wheel up front and solid wheels in back.  RCS ports have high tolerance and the friction was good enough.

Ay38sBB.jpg

and a working hybrid turboshaft-crankshaft engine with pulsing exhaust.  8 junos tuned down to blow on 4 batteries that are offset from the center to appear like a crankshaft.  Let's just say this did not help with balance or high rpm performance.

Bearings are my old standard, the avionics cone pds314 showed me, stuck in a hole made by 4 octo struts.

the exhaust is thrust limited to 2.5, the minimal setting where they still set off a puff of flame (6.5 is the next faster puff btw for you aesthetic enthusiasts).  If you stage them all separately they puff at off times and it makes it look like cylinders are firing!

nc2gXRJ.jpg

I am very proud to be presenting this and hope you enjoy seeing it.  Cheers to all the engineers I "borrowed" ideas from.

KerbalX

Edited by klond

Well hot damn dude, you did it again. This is more impressive than the large car you made. :confused: The tiny turboprop is staggering. Dude, you really should send this to @SQUAD as an example of how we have used parts as bearings, seeing as there are so many variations in there.

6 hours ago, klond said:

I used linear RCS ports (take note engineers, these are nice and smooth and round)

Nice variation of the thermo hinge dude! For confined space the horizontal thermos and antenna is still more compact though for doors and teeny tiny cargo bays. (I'm trying to add one to my X-37b). I will do some tests using the RCS port though. Did you see @sgt_flyer's amazing stock canadarm for a space shuttle he made using the roundness of the linear ports? Check it out!

6 hours ago, klond said:

Everything on this car is shift-offset or offset then rotated.

I used to do that rotation offset trick before no offsets. I can understand you not wanting to use it, it's not really needed for smaller stuff but on higher part count craft it removes the need for so many cubic struts. 

6 hours ago, klond said:

Cheers to all the engineers I "borrowed" ideas from.

This is part of the reason you are so awesome. :D Keep up the amazing work dude, you make the best mechanical stuff I have seen so far. Have you ever made other stuff?

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:05 AM, Majorjim! said:

Nice variation of the thermo hinge dude!  Did you see @sgt_flyer's amazing stock canadarm for a space shuttle he made using the roundness of the linear ports? Check it out!

Have you ever made other stuff?

I was pretty sure someone somewhere had used the RCS ports before and didn't want to make any claims because I probably got the idea from somewhere on here or at kerbalx.  I will go search out the Canadarm (sounds familiar).

I had some jimmy hinges on here when the car was smaller, but with size and feature creep I was out past their maximum scope.

Thanks for the kind words.  Glad you like it.

I've been able to get myself to the mun and minmus after watching Manley's videos and reading about how to change my orbital inclination.  It's been a few months since I've been up there though and would like to send a probe to duna some day.  The high difficulty (for me anyway) and pre-planning and testing for a future duna trip is really going to make even a partial success feel amazing.  But I gotta check out some of these boats people are making first :-).

1 hour ago, life_on_venus said:

So can you just use smooth parts as turbine blades?

Hell yeah!  Just offset the blower so it blows more on one side.  The further out, the better.  I put a plate under this car in case the bearings wiggle and the blowers miss the battery and try to flip the car over :-0.  There was a short discussion buried in Azimech's turbine/helicopter forum about how much torque/power you get based on the diameter of the blades (-further is way better- is what I got out of it).  Batteries are pretty light (shouldn't be imo) and one middle size battery makes a great blade I think.

Edited by klond

33 minutes ago, klond said:

Hell yeah!  Just offset the blower so it blows more on one side.  The further out, the better.  I put a plate under this car in case the bearings wiggle and the blowers miss the battery and try to flip the car over :-0.  There was a short discussion buried in Azimech's turbine/helicopter forum about how much torque/power you get based on the diameter of the blades (-further is way better- is what I got out of it).  Batteries are pretty light (shouldn't be imo) and one middle size battery makes a great blade I think.

...Oh. I shall experiment. I've been making 10 and 20 Juno turboprops with stayputnik bearings but I can't even get them above 25 m/s on a test cart. Bless me with your knowledge Klond!

3 hours ago, klond said:

I was pretty sure someone somewhere had used the RCS ports before and didn't want to make any claims because I probably got the idea from somewhere on here or at kerbalx.  I will go search out the Canadarm (sounds familiar).

I had some jimmy hinges on here when the car was smaller, but with size and feature creep I was out past their maximum scope.

Thanks for the kind words.  Glad you like it.

I've been able to get myself to the mun and minmus after watching Manley's videos and reading about how to change my orbital inclination.  It's been a few months since I've been up there though and would like to send a probe to duna some day.  The high difficulty (for me anyway) and pre-planning and testing for a future duna trip is really going to make even a partial success feel amazing.  But I gotta check out some of these boats people are making first :-).

First time I've seen someone surround the RCS units with thermos though, nice.

Yeah Duna is a wonderful place to visit and build craft for. It's easier to get to than Mun so with the right manoeuvres you won't have any trouble getting there, I'm on my way there now, curiosity cruise stage is on the way, I'm making a video for the release of it. Damn I love seeing that red ball emerge from the darkness! 

I will show this thread to some more people but as I don't think it's something most people can build so it won't be as popular as big prop bearings are.

I would love to send this to laythe though. *hatches evil plan ;-) 

Edited by Majorjim!

11 hours ago, life_on_venus said:

...Oh. I shall experiment. I've been making 10 and 20 Juno turboprops with stayputnik bearings but I can't even get them above 25 m/s on a test cart. Bless me with your knowledge Klond!

Sorry, have to send you back to the turboprop forum.  I haven't done any big stuff.  I have faith in you though.  Keep us updated.  We'll see you there.

On 11/30/2016 at 9:08 PM, Azimech said:

Send. The craft. To me.

pibkGm0.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2y748mltga5t4f/AABNZrGFX9IprX3lGaRZKxrAa?dl=0

I included my 1st and 2nd engines. I think "Engine 2 Cart 4" is the most up to date one.

I also included two other crafts for your pleasure:

• "Microplane II" is a small, F-14 like drone fighter aircraft. Looks cool and goes pretty fast. Perfect for buzzing the tower!
  • "Engine car 2 Re-geared" is not my latest turbo-car, but it works fairly well and has a decent lump of torque thanks to the regearing. That one has conventional landing gear for the front wheels I think.

Have fun! 

Ah wait, I typed this all out and then realised you would need the MoarMk1 mod to make it work :( I'll leave this post here though in case anyone wants to try out the microplane which should be stock. I've tested my engines at both stock and 0.1x drag multiplier

1 hour ago, life_on_venus said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2y748mltga5t4f/AABNZrGFX9IprX3lGaRZKxrAa?dl=0

I included my 1st and 2nd engines. I think "Engine 2 Cart 4" is the most up to date one.

I also included two other crafts for your pleasure:

• "Microplane II" is a small, F-14 like drone fighter aircraft. Looks cool and goes pretty fast. Perfect for buzzing the tower!
  • "Engine car 2 Re-geared" is not my latest turbo-car, but it works fairly well and has a decent lump of torque thanks to the regearing. That one has conventional landing gear for the front wheels I think.

Have fun! 

Ah wait, I typed this all out and then realised you would need the MoarMk1 mod to make it work :( I'll leave this post here though in case anyone wants to try out the microplane which should be stock. I've tested my engines at both stock and 0.1x drag multiplier

Well that's fine, I'll install the mod but I'm extremely lazy today so you'll have to provide me with the link :-P

Sorry for hijacking your topic @klond, everything will return to "normal" soon.

On 11/30/2016 at 2:52 PM, Majorjim! said:

So did you send this to Squad? Is @JPLRepo around?

No, but since you mentioned them maybe they'll come visit.  I was thinking today, if they made a size or shape change to certain items a lot of our stuff would be broken.  Dear Squad: send robotic parts.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Sorry for hijacking your topic

Everyone's invited!  Come on in.  Grats on 200 uploads BTW.  

On 11/26/2016 at 4:59 PM, life_on_venus said:

:(

Azimech will hook you up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.